This is not The Haters Club You're Looking For discussion

I really do try not to hate cats...

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

...but you should hear what I'm hearing right now! There is a whole half-feral, half-domestic tribal cat culture in my neighborhood. They make freaky noises all the time and they're freaking me the f*** out!!!!! They walk through my yard with such confidence that it's startling. WHAT IS GOING ON in the head of that cat when it's just walking by me?! I don't know! Why is it staring at me? What are the synapses in his brain telling him about me? They sound, sometimes, like babies, sirens and/or spousal abuse.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio (joshuanomenmutatio) I remember being absolutely positive that a woman was being assaulted in the distant forest one night while camping, only to discover it was the terrifying noise of raccoons fighting/fucking. ::shudders::

message 3: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu I love cats. Feral cats give domestic cats a bad rep. They're not all loud/obnoxious!

I don't like raccoons. I remember when there was a rabid raccoon walking in circles outside of my house in CA. My dad shot it.

message 4: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments We have foxes behind our house and they sound like a woman screaming.

message 5: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 653 comments I have rogue peacocks in my neighborhood (I live in a ghetto/village) and they also sound like a woman screaming... or like a feral cat. Disconcerting either way.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Did y'all ever hear the This American Life about the rabid raccoon?! Scary!

message 7: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) I hear that using cougar piss around your yard will scare cats off.

message 8: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments I do not try to not hate cats. They are nature's Pauly Shore.

message 9: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) I was going to post a cute, relevant pic of Lucifer (it seemed like a good name for a cat) but i never got around to figuring out how to post photos, and don't feel like looking it up. So now i've got a photo of a cat in my profile. I'd delete it but i'm too lazy to bother.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Your lack of aptitude disguised as apathy is duly noted. Here is Lucifer:

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I try. It feels wrong. I'm freaked out, though, more than hating.

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 23, 2009 08:03PM) (new)

My sister said she heard a cat brawl with coyotes last night and she's certain a cat died. It's brutal out there! Everyone keep your cats in at night!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Especially 'cause then I won't run into them.

message 14: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) I'd like to make a distinction here. "Apathy" means you don't care. "Lazy" means you do care, but not enough to make an effort. In this case, i was too lazy to dig through and find the thread where posting photos was discussed, and where there were instructions on doing so. If only there were some sort of thread where you could appeal for help in locating half remembered posts...

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay. Inaptitude/Laziness. Better?

message 16: by Kasia (new)

Kasia So I'm reading this thread. Cats? Eeee, whatever, meh. Can be cute, but I don't want them in my house. Rabid things? I definitely hate all things rabid. And then my sixth sense makes me stop staring at the screen and focus on the sandwich I've been eating. It tastes yummy, but oh! starts to fall apart on me.

So I'm putting it back together: chicken - check, bread - check, tomatoes - check, lettuce - check, one tiny baby slug - check. Errr WTF??! And I'm no Frenchie, I do not eat slugs!!! But it's there, still alive chewing on MY lunch. Not cool. Not cool at all. There are disadvantages to eating organic lettuce.

So back to cats. Now I'm looking at the issue from a totally different perspective. Anybody remember Alf? You know that furry alien that used to eat cats? He was fun.

message 17: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments I was about to take a bite of a cabbage salad once, looked down at my fork to see an inchworm reaching out to me. It was really cute and kind of disgusting at the same time. I'll never forget that. :)

message 18: by Kasia (new)

Kasia You, me, both.

I just have a mixed feelings about all this. I almost ate it. It was a close call. And I know I probably would not notice. Besides it's no biggie when you think about it - just some extra protein. Yet why do I get that icky feeling?

message 19: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments I don't know.

message 20: by Kasia (new)

Kasia That was rhetorical, but thanks for the answer. Makes me feel loved and appreciated. Total bliss, and I mean it.

message 21: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Well it's confusing! I eat meat. That doesn't gross me out. But I can't eat a tiny caterpillar? It makes no sense.

Servius  Heiner well meat doesn't crawl around in shit... well some of it does but that is why we have the super efficient FDA.

message 23: by Kasia (new)

Kasia I think it's a mindset thing. We're simply used to eating meat and nobody questions it much (wacky vegetarians aside) but insects and mollusk - that's just freaky.

message 24: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments You may be right. I was at a Farmer's Market the other day and they had a meat case with hand made signs, "chicken" "lamb" "pork" and under the label was a photo of a cute baby pig and lamb. (and chicken too but who cares about that. they aren't cute.) I thought using photos of the actual animals was an odd way to sell meat. I guess this is how veg's see it all the time, huh.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah. I can eat fish (sometimes) because their body parts don't line up with ours. Their body isn't really in parts, period, so I don't feel like I'm eating body parts. A chicken breast or pork loin?! Not food. To me.

message 26: by Kasia (new)

Kasia You're a vegetarian? I didn't know...

message 27: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Gretchen wrote: "using photos of the actual animals was an odd way to sell meat..."

Maybe they wanted to make it seem like it's fresh, from a trusted source, not some abstract piece of meat that spent way too long on the store shelves.

It's like, we buy live fish every year for x-mas, because it's best that way - fresh and yummy.

message 28: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Yes, undoubtedly that's what they were doing. But it still seemed odd.

message 29: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Very odd, I've never seen that done.

message 30: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments I think they were Mennonites or something.

message 31: by Kasia (new)

Kasia That's some weird church, right?

message 32: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments I dunno. I think they're like Amish but use electricity or something. They had ill fitting hats and pants. The girl had a scarf on her head and a long homemade prairie dress.

message 33: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Ugh.

Servius  Heiner Kasia wrote: "Ugh."

Miss tolerable euro hippie is so judgmental.

message 35: by Kasia (new)

Kasia When it comes to bad fashion - always. Not that I claim that my own outfits are working out, no.