Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2014 Challenge Archive > The Yahtzee Challenge - Q&A/Discussion Thread

Comments Showing 1-50 of 170 (170 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Nov 24, 2013 06:52PM) (new)

Fran | 10992 comments The Yahtzee Challenge

Well, it's really our version of Yahtzee ;)

A big thank you to Juliet for the idea of using Yahtzee, the dice game, for a challenge. Juliet and I are really looking forward to hosting this!

Here is the link to the real Yahtzee game if you would like to see how the real game works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahtzee

http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct...

Join us in our version of Yahtzee. This challenge will be held from Dec. 1, 2013 to Dec. 31, 2014.

It's a 13 month challenge, with the participant 'rolling the dice' once a month. The dice need to be rolled between the 28th of the month before and the 2nd of the current challenge month. You will then have the rest of the month to complete that month's task.

Only one task can be completed each month. There will be no scorekeeping, instead, you will put the title of the book(s) and date you completed the task next to the task name. This means you have completed that task for the month and you cannot do the same task again.

Random.org Dice Roller- http://www.random.org/dice/

Be sure to set the dice roller to 5 dice for your first roll.

Participants are to roll once a month. Using random.org, roll 5 dice. Re-roll only the number of dice you want to throw back. Do that again for the third roll. You may be happy with your first or second roll. There is no need to roll further.

If you cannot fit your 'roll' into any remaining task that you have, there will be an alternate task to complete. The alternate task will change each month. If you need to use an alternate task, please put the word 'alternate' in an empty task space along with the date completed.

Minimum page count of 125 pages unless specified for the task. Re-reads allowed, as well as audio-books. Novellas will be considered as under 125 pages.

There will be two threads for this challenge. A Discussion/Questions thread here, and another thread just for your progress. Please update your original post for this challenge. All record keeping should be kept to your one original post :)

Yahtzee Challenge-

For Ones - Sixes - you need 3 of the same number to claim that task. It could be more, but at least 3

Ones - Read a book with a one word title
Twos- Read a book with a two word title
Threes- Read a book with a three word title
Fours- Read a book with a four word title
Fives- Read a book with a five word title
Sixes- Read a book with a six word title

3 of a kind-3 of the same number- Read 3 books by the same author

4 of a kind-4 of the same number- Read 4 books in the same genre/sub-genre

Full House-2 of the same number and 3 of the same number - Read 1 book at least 200 pages, and read one book at least 300 pages

Sm.Straight-4 numbers in a row (i.e. 2,3,4,5) Read 4 Novellas

Lg.Straight-5 numbers in a row (1,2,3,4,5 or 2,3,4,5,6) Read an Anthology

YAHTZEE (5 of the same number)-Read any book of your choice

Chance (for when your roll doesn't fit anywhere else)- Read a book by a new author, take a
chance ;)

An example of an alternative roll -

December (for example)-
If your roll does not fit any of your remaining categories, read a book that has been on your TBR for longer than 6 mths.

Example of a roll-

Using random.org / dice roller, I rolled 5 dice.

I rolled a 6,2,6,2,3

I will keep the two 6s and re-roll the other three.

I rolled a 1,5,3 - they don't help me so I will re-roll three dice.

I rolled a 3,4,5 - yay for me! I will use my 3,4,5,6 and read the task for the small straight.

When I am done reading my 4 novellas for the month, I will post the date I completed it.

message 2: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Dec 11, 2014 01:44PM) (new)

Fran | 10992 comments This thread is for any questions you may have about The Yahtzee Challenge.

Please keep track of your progress in the Participants Thread -
Yahtzee Challenge Participants Thread

Dice Roller- http://www.random.org/dice/

message 3: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Nov 24, 2013 06:50PM) (new)

Fran | 10992 comments **Remember, you only roll once a month, and then read the required number of books for that month. It could be as little as one book or as many as 4.

message 4: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Nov 18, 2014 02:40PM) (new)

Fran | 10992 comments *

December Alternate Task- Read a Holiday Romance

January Alternate Task - Read a book published in 2013

February Alternate Task -Read the next book in a series you are reading. If you have none, read the first book in a new series.

March Alternative Task- Read one book with more than 1000 ratings on GR and one book with less than 1000 ratings on GR.

April Alternate Task- Read one book set in a country you do not live in and read one book set in a place you would like to visit (can be near your hometown or not).

May Alternate Task- Read one book that you obtained for free. This could be borrowed from the library, a free ebook, or a book someone lent or gave you.

June Alternate Task- Read one book that has been on your tbr for over 6 months and
read one book that has been on your tbr for less than 6 months. If your tbr is newer than 6 months, read one of the 5 oldest titles on your tbr.

July Alternate Task- Read one book that has an average Goodreads rating of 3.75 or higher.

August Alternate Task- Read one book with a summer scene on cover (beach, water, pool, etc.) and one book with a winter scene on cover (snow, ice, skis, etc.)

September Alternate Task- Read one book found on any shelf of another RRRC member.

October Alternate Task-October Alternate Task- Read one book in a favorite sub-genre of Romance, and read one book in a sub-genre of Romance you read less frequently

November Alternate Task- Read one book published in 2014

December Alternate Task- Read one book with a light source on the cover (sun, candle, flashlight, fire, moon, etc.) and one book that 'lightens' your tbr.

message 5: by Susan A (new)

Susan A | 1460 comments 1. For ones - sixes: these are one book tasks?

2. When we update, we post date completed only? Do not include book titles?

message 6: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10992 comments 1.Yes, 1-6s are one book tasks, so hopefully they can be easily incorporated into other challenges you may be doing.

2. Great question! I will change the wording. You should post title as well as date completed :)

message 7: by Susan A (new)

Susan A | 1460 comments THanks Fran.

Really clever idea. Looks fun!

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright) How often can you use a chance? If only once, the next time you need a chance, do you have to take a Zero on a task?

message 9: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10992 comments Crystal wrote: "How often can you use a chance? If only once, the next time you need a chance, do you have to take a Zero on a task?"

You can only use chance once. You won't get a zero if you can't go anywhere, you will have to perform an alternate task instead. And record the alternate task in a task spot you couldn't use.

So every month you will get to go. It just may be the alternative task on occasion. That task will change every month to keep it interesting.

message 10: by ❆ Crystal ❆ (new)

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright) ok... that makes sense....

message 11: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 51 comments 1. Do the words a, an, the count?

2. For page number task, what edition should we use? I'm reading ebooks and audiobooks and their page numbers (if there are any) can be quite different from paper editions.

message 12: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Nov 25, 2013 01:49PM) (new)

Fran | 10992 comments someoneyouknow-
This looks like a great challenge, but I don't quite understand one thing. If, for example, I roll the dice and get 3 of the same number(like 5,5,5), does it mean that I can choose between reading three books by one author and reading a book with a five word title?

If you roll a 5,5,5, for example, you can choose between using it for the 5s slot (read a book with a 5 word title) or the 3 of a kind slot ( read 3 books by same author). Once you use a slot you cannot use it again. So if you roll a 5,5,5, again, you can choose the remaining slot. But....I would suggest using the 5s slot first. You can use any 3 of a kind in the 3 of a kind slot, so it's easier to fill.

message 13: by Gea (new)

Gea (gea89) | 545 comments The dice need to be rolled between the 28th of the month before and the 2nd of the current challenge month. You will then have the rest of the month to complete that month's task.

We can start reading on 1st or 2nd?

message 14: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 562 comments Thanks for answering, Fran. I have 1 more question : I assume the words "the", "a" don't count, but "in", "of", "at" etc. are counted, right?

message 15: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10992 comments Gea, you can start reading on the 1st. I just gave extra time to roll in case anyone forgets to roll before the first.

Someoneyouknow, I am going to say that all words count towards the word count.

So, 'Bared To You' would be a three word title.

message 16: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10992 comments I rolled a large straight for my first roll. Hmmm, I need to read an anthology.

I think I may go with A Very Naughty Xmas by Stephanie Julian

message 17: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19613 comments Eek - is it time to roll??

I left my computer on the cattle property - I'm completely lost without it!!!

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura (mingaboxer) | 32 comments I rolled 4 of a kind - ack! Four books for me this month!

message 19: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19613 comments Laura wrote: "I rolled 4 of a kind - ack! Four books for me this month!"

With a few holidays mixed in, you'll probably know them off pretty easily… ??

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura (mingaboxer) | 32 comments Yeah - I read 4 or 5 books a week so I should be fine. ;) I'm reading all M/M romance books for the genre and I picked 4 from my gang bang list so it's a twofer for me!

message 21: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Nov 30, 2013 06:54PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19613 comments Laura wrote: "Yeah - I read 4 or 5 books a week so I should be fine. ;) I'm reading all M/M romance books for the genre and I picked 4 from my gang bang list so it's a twofer for me!"

Good move… ;)

message 22: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10992 comments Please remember to roll your dice for December by tomorrow night, December 2nd!!

message 23: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Fran wrote: "I rolled a large straight for my first roll. Hmmm, I need to read an anthology.

I think I may go with A Very Naughty Xmas by Stephanie Julian"

I rolled a large straight too - too bad we didn't start this last month...I read 2 anthologies in November, and didn't have any planned for this month! Oh, well, I'm sure I'll come up with something, and I might just join you in reading A Very Naughty Xmas!

message 24: by Andy (new)

Andy Mcclure | 21 comments Alternative roll looks like a holiday romance book! Yeah!

message 25: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10992 comments Lindy asked -
How do you roll and get the first group 1-6?

You can use the dice roller link in messsage #2. Set the dice roller to 5 and roll the dice. keep what you want, and set the dice roller to the number you want to reroll to try and add to the numbers you kept in the first roll.

Example of a roll-

Using random.org / dice roller, I rolled 5 dice.

I rolled a 6,2,6,2,3

I will keep the two 6s and re-roll the other three.

I rolled a 1,5,3 - they don't help me so I will re-roll three dice.

I rolled a 3,4,5 - yay for me! I will use my 3,4,5,6 and read the task for the small straight.

When I am done reading my 4 novellas for the month, I will post the date I completed it.

I hope I helped!

message 26: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10992 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "Fran wrote: "I rolled a large straight for my first roll. Hmmm, I need to read an anthology.

I think I may go with A Very Naughty Xmas by Stephanie Julian"

I rolled a large straight too - too b..."

Hi KarenH!

I just borrowed it and will definitely be reading it in the next two weeks. I would love to read it with you if you get your hands on a copy!

message 27: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10992 comments KarenH,

I just checked and you can use this code at Kobo for the book and it works. It's 2.50 with code :)

Kobo Promo code for 50% off: 50Dec

message 28: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 2581 comments Can I still roll Fran? or do I need to read the alternative book for December? Completely forgot about this!

message 29: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10992 comments You can still roll Hina, until midnight tonight :)

I'm just using my time zone for the challenge rules, but anyone can use their own time zone if they want to.

message 30: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 2581 comments Thanks!

message 31: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) | 260 comments You can use the dice roller link in messsage #2. Set the dice roller to 5 and roll the dice. keep what you want, and set the dice roller to the number you want to reroll to try and add to the numbers you kept in the first roll.

please give me asn exampole of the 1-6 rolls rather than the novella one

message 32: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10992 comments Lindy wrote: "You can use the dice roller link in messsage #2. Set the dice roller to 5 and roll the dice. keep what you want, and set the dice roller to the number you want to reroll to try and add to the numbe..."

Do you want to know what other kind of rolls you can use? Let me know if this helps

For Ones - Sixes - you need 3 of the same number to claim that task. It could be more, but at least 3(for example, 2,2,2,5,1 or 2,2,2,2,3)
3 of a kind-3 of the same number (i.e. 1,1,1,3,4)
4 of a kind-4 of the same number (i.e. 3,3,3,3,5)
Full House-2 of the same number and 3 of the same number - (i.e. 3,3,2,2,2)
Sm.Straight-4 numbers in a row (i.e. 2,3,4,5)
Lg.Straight-5 numbers in a row (1,2,3,4,5 or 2,3,4,5,6)
YAHTZEE (5 of the same number- i.e. 6,6,6,6,6)

message 33: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10992 comments Lindy, if you would like, roll the 5 dice with the dice roller and stop. Post what you got here and I will help you decide what to keep and how many to re-roll :)

message 34: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) | 260 comments Do you roll the 5 dice and pick 1-6 out of it?

message 35: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10992 comments You roll the 5 dice and write down the exact numbers you get.

For example, I roll and get 2,2,3,4,5

I want to keep the 2,2 so I roll again, this time setting the dice roller to roll 3 dice. I write those 3 numbers down.

Now I have 2,2,2,1,4

I keep the 2,2,2 so I set the dice roller to roll 2 dice and roll again. This is the last roll.

I end up with 2,2,2,3,6 as my final 5 dice. I decide to use my 2s spot and read a book with a two word title. I could also use my three of a kind spot if I haven't already.

message 36: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) | 260 comments That makes more sense, I never played the game that I remember

message 37: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Fran wrote: "Hi KarenH!

I just borrowed it and will definitely be reading it in the next two weeks. I would love to read it with you if you get your hands on a copy!"

Thanks, Fran! The Kobo code I had didn't seem to want to work, but yours did. :D I'm not sure if I'll get to it in the next couple of weeks or not...still have several books to finish for the quarterly challenge, so I'm shuffling books a little more than usual this month. I'll definitely let you know if I can get to it sooner than expected though!

message 38: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Johnson This may be a silly question however I want to maker sure I know before I get it what is classed as an anthology

message 39: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10992 comments Stacey wrote: "This may be a silly question however I want to maker sure I know before I get it what is classed as an anthology"

Not a silly question at all Stacey!

An anthology is a book comprised of several different stories.

From wikipedia-

An anthology is a collection of literary works chosen by the compiler. It may be a collection of poems, short stories, plays, songs, or excerpts. In genre fiction anthology is used to categorize collections of shorter works such as short stories and short novels, usually collected into a single volume for publication.

message 41: by Bookchaser (new)

Bookchaser | 1859 comments I rolled a Small Straight for January. So I need to read 4 novellas. Do these novellas need to be published separately, as in not part of an anthology? Or can they be from one or more anthologies? Sorry. I think that I am over thinking again.

message 42: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10992 comments Hi Bookchaser!

The novellas need to be under 125 pages. I think that's the only requirement, so if they appear in an anthology that's fine :)

message 43: by Bookchaser (new)

Bookchaser | 1859 comments Thanks Fran!

message 44: by Sera (new)

Sera (seracatty) | 33 comments Is it still possible to join this challenge and do maybe december and january in one month to catch up? It sounds like a great challenge.

message 45: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10992 comments Hi Cecile!

Yes, you can join any time! You will need to use the 'December alternative task' for your December book and you are right on time to roll for your January read.

message 46: by Sera (new)

Sera (seracatty) | 33 comments Great! Thank you :)

message 47: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19613 comments Um Fran... *scuffs foot* I forgot to roll my die by 2 Jan.

So I read the alternate task (a book published in 2013). Where do I stick that in my challenge list? Can I give it to Lge Straight?? (read an anthology?)

message 48: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10992 comments Hi Jane!

Yes, you can put it in any open task, so if large straight is open for you, that works :)

message 49: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19613 comments Fran wrote: "Hi Jane!

Yes, you can put it in any open task, so if large straight is open for you, that works :)"

Thanks Fran! I'm just checking through all my stuff to work out what I need to do now that I am on a semi-decent internet service, updating lists etc... I am WAY behind.

message 50: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10992 comments I rolled 3 fives so I am going to read a book with a 5 word title. Hmmmm.....this is proving more difficult than I anticipated, lol. Nothing on my kindle with a 5 word title that I am in the mood for.

Anyone have any suggestions for me? A fun, non-angsty read around 125 pages that also has 5 words in the title?

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.