UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > Group Get-together 2014 that was!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 379 (379 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Nov 19, 2013 01:25PM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Morning All,

I have booked a meeting room at :
Stratton House Hotel
London Road
Biggleswade
Bedfordshire
SG18 8ED
Telephone: 01767 312442
Fax: 01767 600163
Email: info@strattonhouse-hotel.com

The date is Saturday 8th February 2014
at 2PM

We managed to keep going until 6pm last year and the venue was kind enough to allow us to loiter for some time after our official end time.

There is a restaurant for those who are inclined and bar snacks are available.

I will be arranging sandwiches for the afternoon free of charge but if there is a concensus I can arrange a more substantial buffet for a small fee.

Hotel rooms are generally available at weekends and there is parking behind the hotel.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (technohippy) Count me in, last time was fun.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments You are in Michael

You have given me the chance to mention that you don't have to tell me you are coming and can just turn up on the day. However I stand more chance of getting the arrangements right if I have a clue how many are coming.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I am looking for contributors again. I lined some people up last year and due to the thing gaining a life of its own I had to let some people down who had probably planned to speak.

If any of those people are still talking to me or anyone else has some ideas please PM me.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Biggleswade now has :
Indians
Chinese
Italian (Pizza Express)
English!
and a new Steak House that sounds great!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Can I suggest you set a time limit for speakers?

Perhaps more people will get a chance to speak then.

Providing you get a few who are willing to speak, of course. ;)

message 7: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments I'll turn up.

Like the proverbial bad penny I expect.

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (technohippy) I'll be happy to contribute, but I did speak last time so happy not to do so if you have enough people, so put in me in the reserve if you want :-)

message 9: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Ayris (stuayris) | 2692 comments I'll be there and happy to talk! I wasn't there last time so can somebody give me an idea of what sort of subjects are up for discussion?

Cheers!

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (technohippy) At the previous one I talked about how to create an utter bastard, although the following discussion was probably more interesting.

message 11: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Ayris (stuayris) | 2692 comments Good stuff! I'll just ramble drunken nonsense then. Will be booking a room for the night or sleeping in my campervan. Either way, I intend to enjoy myself!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Simon, make sure to get a case of wine in for Stuart!

message 13: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Ayris (stuayris) | 2692 comments I'll bring some of my own but some reserves would be appreciated! ;-)

message 15: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Ayris (stuayris) | 2692 comments like your thinking!

message 16: by Lynda (new)

Lynda Wilcox (lyndawrites) | 1142 comments You ain't going to be the only wine drinker there, you know ;)

message 17: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Ayris (stuayris) | 2692 comments glad to hear it! Get paid on 27th so will book my hotel room!

message 18: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments I don't think I'll be able to make it. I forgot that my show is on in Feb so I won't be able to miss rehearsals on the Sunday :o(

message 19: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 1791 comments Count me in, I'm not confirmed for a show yet and rehearsals are on Sunday. The worst case scenario will be that I have to take the last train home rather than staying overnight...

message 20: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown | 4128 comments Michael wrote: "Count me in, last time was fun."

A man will say anything when crocodile clips are clamped to his nipples and 40,000 volts are going through them :)

message 21: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments If I can find Biggleswade on my Tube map I'm in. Even if I can't find I'm aiming to be there.

Happy to speak about flash fiction writing if anyone might be interested and if there's room on the speaker list.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Biggleswade is down the tubes rather than on the Tube!

message 23: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Simon is the hotel walkable from the station?

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Marc wrote: "Simon is the hotel walkable from the station?"

According to google maps its 5 mins walk. Sober.

message 25: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments cool, thanks GL.

Biggleswade isn't on my Google maps, but then I've blocked out anything without a London postcode

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments There's a big London-shaped hole in mine...

message 27: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Gingerlily - Dark and Mysterious Stranger wrote: "There's a big London-shaped hole in mine..."

That's fighting talk!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments We can fight it out over a drink at the get-together then.

message 29: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (technohippy) R.M.F wrote: "Michael wrote: "Count me in, last time was fun."

A man will say anything when crocodile clips are clamped to his nipples and 40,000 volts are going through them :)"

Some men will pay anything for such a thing :-)

message 30: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Gingerlily - Dark and Mysterious Stranger wrote: "We can fight it out over a drink at the get-together then."

Lemonade for me

message 31: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown | 4128 comments Marc wrote: "Gingerlily - Dark and Mysterious Stranger wrote: "We can fight it out over a drink at the get-together then."

Lemonade for me"

If you want a good drink for a fight, how about a bowl of punch... groan! :)

message 32: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown | 4128 comments Michael wrote: "R.M.F wrote: "Michael wrote: "Count me in, last time was fun."

A man will say anything when crocodile clips are clamped to his nipples and 40,000 volts are going through them :)"

Some men will pa..."

When I was a student, we done it for free as a drunken jape! Gets all misty eyed at student life... :)

message 33: by Beverley (new)

Beverley Carter | 199 comments Ooh - Michael's talk about bastards was excellent! I'm getting a bit confused that some of you seem to think Biggleswade is a little known borough of London, so here are some instructions which I hope will help:

How to get to Biggleswade via tube:

1. Get on any of the tube lines that go to King's Cross.

2. Get on a train that goes north towards Edinburgh(which is pretty much all of them).

3. Check that it actually stops at Biggleswade or you will overshoot and be at Peterborough before you know it. You want the one on the board that shows all the stops.

4. Get off at Biggleswade.

5. On foot from the station, with the station behind you, turn right. Continue down that road until you see a mini roundabout. Turn right. Walk on the left hand pavement and keep going for about three hundred yards.

6. You have reached your destination.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Directions available on BevNav!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments BevNav!!!

Love it!

I wanna be there!!!!

message 36: by Beverley (new)

Beverley Carter | 199 comments Just don't blame me if you get lost (I'll have found Stuart's stash of wine by then, so I doubt I'll be that bothered)!

message 37: by Beverley (new)

Beverley Carter | 199 comments Continuing in the BevNav theme, directions for road users (assuming you don't have a proper SatNav:

1. Look up how to find the A1 in your atlas. It is a long road that goes from London at the bottom to Edinburgh at the top. Sometimes it is called the A1(M). Do not be confused by this; it is the same road. They are just showing off the sections that have been promoted to the motorway league.

2. Get on the A1. Head north if leaving London and south if you are not in Hertfordshire or Bedfordshire (I assume that if you are in the remaining ten miles of Bedfordshire north of Biggleswade that you will know where you are heading, if not let me know, I will come and get you).

3. Get off at one of the Biggleswade roundabouts. There are two but it doesn't matter which one to plump for, it makes no real difference.

4. Follow the signs to the town centre. If you get off at the south junction, you mainly stay on the same road until you see the hotel on a turn in the road in front of you. Turn right, then left to park behind. If you get off at the north roundabout, you have basically two roads to navigate. Heading towards the town centre, drive past the Sainsbury and straight over the roundabout. Straight over next mini roundabout, left at the next mini roundabout - you are now in the town centre. Straight over the next mini roundabout and about three hundred yards on your left, you have reached your destination!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I reckon a new career beckons there Beverley!

message 39: by Beverley (new)

Beverley Carter | 199 comments You could be right! My dad did try to drum into me the importance of a plan B! Trouble is, the BevNav's accuracy drops off steeply outside the Herts/Beds/Cambs border. It can get you to a handful of random towns and cities but beyond that it's pretty much a case of 'here there be monsters'!

message 40: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments A Fantasy-Nav. That could be a seller!

message 41: by David (last edited Nov 19, 2013 01:46AM) (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments David wrote: "A Fantasy-Nav. That could be a seller!"

'We're here.'

'What?' Sir Gawain stared around the damp misty valley, then turned to his squire. 'Are you sure?'

'Yes, look.' His squire held up the Sat-Nav.

Sir Gawain clunked across to her. He was sure the constant drizzle was making his armour rusty, seizing it up slowly.

His squire showed him the sat-nav screen. 'Here be Dragons!' it said.

Sir Gawain turned to stare at the damp empty valley again.

'Hey, be careful with that lance!' His squire yelled, stepping smartly out of the way.

'Sorry, it's new,' Gawain said absently.

Then, out of the mist...

message 42: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 1791 comments Keep going, I love it :)

message 43: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments so just to be certain, Biggleswade is not on the Central Line then?

message 44: by Beverley (new)

Beverley Carter | 199 comments Marc wrote: "so just to be certain, Biggleswade is not on the Central Line then?"

That's correct, Marc, Biggleswade is not on the Central Line. Incredible, I know. What were they thinking when they laid that track?

message 45: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Beverley wrote: "Marc wrote: "so just to be certain, Biggleswade is not on the Central Line then?"

That's correct, Marc, Biggleswade is not on the Central Line. Incredible, I know. What were they thinking when th..."

Have you ever read Cormac Mccarthy's "The Road"?

The description of the post-apocalyptic world in that book is the picture I have in my mind of the world beyond London.

Of course trying to define London's actual limits is a mite tricky. This is where I am currently:

South - Brighton (London on Sea)
East - Tilbury/Southend
West- Oxford (London at Uni)
North - Luton

:-)

message 46: by Beverley (new)

Beverley Carter | 199 comments Marc wrote: "Beverley wrote: "Marc wrote: "so just to be certain, Biggleswade is not on the Central Line then?"

That's correct, Marc, Biggleswade is not on the Central Line. Incredible, I know. What were they..."

Marc, you may need to expand your horizons just a little. Now don't be nervous. Perhaps you could get in a little preparation before the group meet. I can recommend the following TV based research to ease you into the world outside London:

1. Countryfile - full of large, often green things that we call fields. They are perfectly harmless.

2. Escape to the country - far from being a sci-fi about some dreadful distopian future, this is actually a property based programme for people who think they can exchange their ordinary house in London for one of the English counties.

Once you've got to grips with that, you may like to acquaint yourself with some of the wildlife you may encounter on a trip outside the M25.

1. Cows. These are large but generally docile creatures. They have a conflicted personality in that they are cautious and curious in equal measures, which usually means they will keep a safe distance and just stare at you. Party trick: They can lick their own nostrils.

2. Sheep. Like clouds, only smaller and on the land.

3. Pigs. Mostly muddy and often bigger than you expect.

Alright, I admit it, they aren't really wildlife but apparently London has more foxes than the rest of the country combined so you are probably more used to seeing them than we are.

I hope this has gone some way toward putting your mind at rest. After all, it's the locals you really need to be wary of...

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments You forgot to mention that pigs stink to high heaven!

message 48: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments I'm allergic to green

Cows - destroying the planet with their methane emissions
Sheep - what manufactured fabrics were invented for
Pigs - I have no real issue with pigs!

message 49: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Beverley wrote: "Marc wrote: "Beverley wrote: "Marc wrote: "so just to be certain, Biggleswade is not on the Central Line then?"

That's correct, Marc, Biggleswade is not on the Central Line. Incredible, I know. W..."

Beverley, are you saying I need some injections before the get together? :-)

message 50: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22039 comments Gingerlily - Dark and Mysterious Stranger wrote: "You forgot to mention that pigs stink to high heaven!"

Anyone who breathes the air in London will never notice the smell.
The first thing I always notice when I step off the train at Euston is the smell of London :-(

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8