J.D. Robb discussion

Archives > In Death Questions?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Silver (new)

Silver | 37 comments Ok so I listening to the ID series again and although I've noticed this before it's really beginning to bug me a little bit. But has anyone else notice how with no explanation (at least I don't recall) but Crack goes from being a bouncer for 'his bar' to then later owning it??

Also has anyone else noticed that in the first few books Roarke has a full household staff but then later it was like they all vanished (like they were never there to begin with) and it was just Summerset that tended to the entire 'doings' in the house?

I'm sure as I listen I'll think of other lack of consistencies as I continue to listen to them. Now don't get me wrong...I love the ID series these are just a few things that 'bug' me.

message 2: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13052 comments Mod
From what I've been able to figure out, when Dallas first met him, he was the bouncer for an all-nude sex club. It was across from a place called the Five Moons. It wasn't the Down & Dirty club. The next time she sees him, he's the owner of that place. There's nothing in between that explains that.

My recall may be terrible on this but I thought Roarke had a household staff of droids, which Eve also hates. I think they're still there because there's no way Summerset is managing that household alone. Plus, he and Roarke would trust any person to be in their home.

message 3: by Silver (new)

Silver | 37 comments Jonetta wrote: "From what I've been able to figure out, when Dallas first met him, he was the bouncer for an all-nude sex club. It was across from a place called the Five Moons. It wasn't the Down & Dirty club. Th..."

Ok that part would make sense then...

The staff part not so much as I agree I don't think they would want anyone in the house. However, when Eve is having dinner with him at his house for the first time she gets her 'dinner served' to her and it (IF memory serves me right) it wasn't by a droid. Also in the 2nd book (I think but might have been the first) she mentions him having a house full of staff. I mean later on we hear about Summerset doing the cooking and seeing him 'doing laundry', shopping for groceries as well as other 'house cleaning'. I guess over all this is just one of those things that make you go hmmm.....lol

message 4: by Jonetta (new)

I'll be honest, it's been a question for me, too.

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10263 comments Mod
I had in my head that the staff was droids, even when she mentions staff that's what I was thinking she meant. Interesting.

message 6: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 1455 comments I thought in one of the 1st books, It is mentioned that Roarke has house droids but prefers human staff so the droids aren't used much. I may be remembering wrong .

message 7: by Carol (Mocha) (new)

Carol (Mocha) | 85 comments I'm just starting 4. there r house droids.

message 8: by Jonetta (new)

Aha! They're just not mentioned later in the series.

message 9: by Sheri (new)

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments I know that Roarke has some droids. I can't remember which book right off the top of my head where Eve and Roarke are in the holo room. It was there anniversary and a droid comes in with there dinner. I Remember laughing because they were naked and Eve's reaction was priceless. but you don't hear to much about them later in the series.

message 10: by Silver (last edited Nov 16, 2013 05:26PM) (new)

Silver | 37 comments Carol (Mocha) wrote: "I'm just starting 4. there r house droids."
One problem with that in Glory in Death (which is what I'm listening to now) Roarke says that his home in Mexico is automated unlike his one at home. As he hates droids as they are so impersonal and only uses staff when he is going to be there for an extended stay. However, since he and Eve was only going to be there for a short stay the droids would work as he wanted Eve all alone.

message 11: by Quynh (new)

Quynh | 1269 comments I'd imagine Roarke would have people staff during the day working under Summerset to maintain the house and droids during the night. Tbh, I don't give much thoughts to what's going on behind the scenes for things such as cleaning and laundry. I prefer not to read it in a book especially with the numbers of books already released. I can see it being discussed in the beginning few books of the series but now it would be rather useless to add to the storyline.

message 12: by Silver (new)

Silver | 37 comments Quynh I found the ID series late into the 'game' so to speak and believe me I do love the series. Hence why I'm on my 5th time through listening to it. I just happened to notice that this time around that he starts out having a real staff and then later Summerset is left to run everything (at least that's what we are lead to believe). I love listening to a series more then once as I catch new things that I hadn't heard before or in some cases don't remember in the first place. Besides I'm not asking for the series to be changed I just made an observation and came here to discuss it with other ID lovers to see if anyone else had noticed the instant change as well or if they could nudge my memory of where Roarke makes the change. Also sometimes the, as you called it, behind the scenes stuff is important (spoiler alert) like it was in one book where Summerset was carrying the laundry and trips over the cat breaking his leg. So it's really no different then JD telling us about a time where Eve takes a shower. It happens in RL so on occasion we read (or in my case listen) to her describe Eve taking a shower or in some cases a bath. Do we need to know these things? No not really but the do in a small way add to the story line.

message 13: by Quynh (new)

Quynh | 1269 comments I understand. Everyone looks for different things in the book and we pick up things we miss on the first read. I just don't pay attention to those things when I'm reading if they don't affect the story. :)

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Picking up things I missed when reading before is part of what's been great about the buddy reads of the entire series. It's fun discussing the books and getting all the different opinions on this and that. I have learned some things this time that I certainly missed before. People pick up on different things and sharing those things greatly enhances the reading and/or rereading of this series for me. How dull it would be if we were all alike.

message 15: by Silver (new)

Silver | 37 comments Sandra - *Star* wrote: "Picking up things I missed when reading before is part of what's been great about the buddy reads of the entire series. It's fun discussing the books and getting all the different opinions on this..."

I agree Sandra I love relistening to books and 'learning' new things about the characters in the books and the world around them. Like I said in the earlier this is my 5th time through the series and each time I listen I learn a little something more about the world of Eve Dallas.

message 16: by Sandra (new)

It's amazing, isn't it? You would think after 2 or 3 times through the series, you would have picked up every little detail but not so...I learn something new every time.

message 17: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3237 comments I am always reading/hearing something that i either missed or forgot about when i go through the series again. I am going through it again now, and Judgment really hit me with a lot i had forgotten.

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments What do you mean about ID series?

message 19: by Silver (new)

Silver | 37 comments Ok ya'll I've had it confirmed there isn't droids in the house. Because in one Eve tells Roarke it would be better if he'd get some droids instead of letting Sumerset run the house. This is not verbatim as I heard it earlier today but just now got time to post...lol.

message 20: by Sandra (new)

I also learn new things in rereads in the buddy reads from discussing the books with others. It's always a nice surprise to learn something from another member who picked up on something I either missed or didn't think about as I read it. I really am trying to slow down this time through and really "read" it all. I flew through the first time just wanting to know what happened next and next and next! lol

message 21: by Silver (new)

Silver | 37 comments Sandra - *Star* wrote: "I also learn new things in rereads in the buddy reads from discussing the books with others. It's always a nice surprise to learn something from another member who picked up on something I either ..."

Buddy reads? Where is that at? However, with me listening instead of reading I'd probably go through a book faster then a buddy would...lol.

message 22: by Jonetta (new)

Silver, we have a separate Buddy Reads folder where all the book discussions are in progress for a reread of the series. They're currently up to Holiday in Death and Midnight in Death. Of course, you can jump in on any of the discussions at any time.

message 23: by Sandra (new)

Silver, we'd love to have you join in. Some do audio and some read...we do take it slow allowing everyone time to read and discuss the books and also read a multitude of other books at the same time.

message 24: by Randi (new)

Randi | 93 comments I've noticed that the In Death series is oftentimes also considered a paranormal series. I just finished book #7 Vengeance In Death, and unless I really missed something, I don't get the paranormal connection. If something paranormal will happen in the future of the series, I don't want the SPOILER, but it would be OK to let me know that some PN element is on the horizon.
Just wondering.

message 25: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3237 comments I don't think I see this series as paranormal. Futuristic, mystery and romance.

message 26: by Jonetta (new)

I agree with Dawn. The series is best characterized as futuristic. Some of the novellas have paranormal aspects but it's more "woo woo" than what I normally see in that genre.

message 27: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3237 comments I guess Chaos and Possession have those elements now that you mention it Jonetta. My initial reaction was futuristic, which is why I resisted it initially. And Chaos isn't really paranormal, just bizarre chemist freaks lol

message 28: by Susan (new)

Susan I don't see anything paranormal about it. It is set in the future with futuristic technology. That's it.

message 29: by Jonetta (new)

Dawn wrote: "I guess Chaos and Possession have those elements now that you mention it Jonetta. My initial reaction was futuristic, which is why I resisted it initially. And Chaos isn't really paranormal, just ..."

Haunted, Rituals and Eternity were also weird. Haunted was definitely paranormal.

message 30: by Jonetta (new)

Susan wrote: "I don't see anything paranormal about it. It is set in the future with futuristic technology. That's it."

The novellas would be the exception, as noted above. Otherwise, I agree with you completely about the full length novels.

message 31: by Susan (new)

Susan Yes, but less than a half dozen books out of over 40 have some kind of paranormal element. That's not much.

message 32: by Randi (new)

Randi | 93 comments Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I didn't see the PN connection either, but then I've only read 7 books. I was beginning to think I missed something subtle. So, maybe it's that some PNR readers cross over to In Death.

message 33: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3237 comments Randi, read possession in death. That would be the one with the most "woo woo" as Jonetta put it. The title says it all.

message 34: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael I think Ceremony also has some *suggested* paranormal elements, I think it depends to some extent on how the reader interprets the storyline.

message 35: by Sandra (new)

I read a lot of PN and don't consider the In Death series that at all. I think the title Futuristic covers what some might consider pn in it. It opens the mind to accepting some otherworldly things as normal or possible for the time period.

message 36: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3237 comments Very good point!

message 37: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments What do you guys think JD stands for? I mean, I am aware that it's actually Nora Roberts (haha) but...obviously they didn't come from her actual name. Her children's names maybe?

message 38: by Jonetta (last edited Jan 23, 2014 02:26PM) (new)

They are the first initials of her children's names, Jason and Dan, her two older sons.

message 39: by Joc (new)

Joc (jocc) | 0 comments Dee wrote: "What do you mean about ID series?"

This refers to the In Death series by J.D. Robb.

Jonetta wrote: "They are the first initials of her children's names, Jason and Dan, her two older sons."

I wondered about her pen name. Thanks for the info Jonetta.

message 40: by Joc (last edited Jan 23, 2014 08:06PM) (new)

Joc (jocc) | 0 comments I never noticed the droid or no issue in the series. I started in the middle though and then had to go back to the beginning. I rarely re-read books but I may have to now.

The Crack issue never occurred to me either. I remember him being a bouncer but I don't remember him as the owner. I guess I don't get stuck in the details too much.

I think of the series as futuristic but agree there were a few paranormal story lines. I am not a fan of that genre but it was not portrayed in such a way that it bothered me. I think Dallas was pretty leery about those aspects as well.

message 41: by Jonetta (new)

That's what made it even more fun...Eve's skepticism. The few woo woo stories would be considered paranormal light.

message 42: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3237 comments Especially in Possession. She was completely freaked out.

message 43: by Jonetta (last edited Jan 24, 2014 12:31PM) (new)

I think that one went further into the woo woo than it ever has.

message 44: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 1455 comments I loved Possesion. I wish it had been a full length book.

message 45: by Jonetta (new)

Me, too, Maggie.

message 46: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments Jonetta wrote: "They are the first initials of her children's names, Jason and Dan, her two older sons."

Ah, thanks!

message 47: by Randi (new)

Randi | 93 comments I just started Imitation in Death and I noticed some lists have the next book as Remember When. I'm wondering if I need to read this since it's a composite of two separate stories, one being Eve Dallas in the future, the other something else, but set in the present. So, do I need to read this, or can I go straight on to Divided in Death?

message 48: by Sheri (new)

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments you do want to read it. the first part is Hot Rocks by Nora Roberts it is really good but you dont necessarily have to read it. the second part is Big Jack which is part of the series and i recommend reading it. great. scenes with Eve and Roarke in this one

message 49: by Quynh (new)

Quynh | 1269 comments Well, Hot Rocks is related to Eve's case. So both are relevant. I recommend reading the entire Remember When book.

message 50: by Jonetta (new)

Sheri is correct. See our book list (link below).

I've only read Big Jack, never read Hot Rocks. Remember When was written to help create a crossover audience (Nora to J. D. Robb and vice versa). It's your choice if you want to read both or not. They were later separated so you'd have that option.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

« previous 1