Start by marking “Imitation in Death (In Death, #17)” as Want to Read:
Imitation in Death (In Death, #17)

Imitation in Death

(In Death #17)

Summer, 2059.

A man wearing a cape and a top hat approaches a prostitute on a dark, New York City street. Minutes later, the woman is dead. Left at the scene is a letter addressed to Lieutenant Eve Dallas, inviting her to play his game and unveil his identity. He signs it, "Jack." Now Dallas is in pursuit of a murderer who knows as much about the history of serial killers
Published 2008 by Piatkus, London (first published August 1st 2003)

Phrynne
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4000-books
Another brilliant episode in this series from J.D. Robb
This one is outstanding for the development in the relationship between Peabody and Eve. They are a laugh a minute as they bounce repartee off each other like a comedy duo. Of course Roarke and Eve have their usual beautiful relationship and lots of other characters take a turn too. Even Summerset has his moment right at the end when he returns from his vacation.
I enjoyed all the police work in this one and I was also happy that I picked the
Mo
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this series in 2012. I dip in now and again ... I read maybe two in a row sometimes but then change to something else. I love the books. I love the characters. I love the writing. Eve Dallas must be the most kick-ass heroine out there. She takes no shit!! She is married to the sexiest man on earth! Roarke - swoon - he is perfect, fucking perfect.

There was Ireland in his voice, dreamy wisps of it that could, unexpectedly, wind around her heart.

"Eve is on the trail of a serial
Hulya Kara Yuksel
I LOVE this series sooooo much! :)

He lifted her hand, kissed her fingers. “Now, I look, and I think: There’s my woman, soft and lovely.” Her lips curved as he undressed her. “Where do you get this stuff?”
“It just comes to me. I’ve only to look at you, and the world comes to me. You’re my life.”

Carolyn
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: futuristic, 2018, thriller
It's always so much fun to read one of J.D. Robb's scrumptious Eve Dallas novels. The crimes are always heinous, Eve is driven and sarcastic, Peabody is just Peabody and Roarke is hot, sexy and Irish (has to be the best police spouse in the thriller business - he's so understanding and caring whereas most of the other spouses of police just whinge about them never being home....)

In this episode Eve is on the hunt for a serial killer who is carrying out copy cat murders of infamous killers. She h
Alex ♈
Suspense 4.5 stars / Romance 4.5 stars

Extremely interesting and twisted suspense. A murder, who imitated historic serial killers.
My girl Eve and me knew his identity from the very beginning, the others needed more time plus the evidence *lol*

Eve, you are a Goddess!!!

Romance: Roarke wins my heart, slowly, but anyway <3
Peabody is a detective, yeah! Und Eve in uniform -> hot.

Love love love this series!!!
Every book is a winner. Thanks God I have more to come ;-)
Aisling Zena
Reminder to self. Never start an Eve book at lunch time while I'm eating.
Mei
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary

”How do you eat feet?” Eve wondered. “Do you start at the toes and work up, or at the akle and work down? Do ducks have ankles?”
“I’ve spent many spleepless nights pondering just that.” (Peabody)

I wouldn’t wear them, but if you want to be swept from your feet…*shrug*

”Is the U.N. in session?” (Eve)
“U.N.? As in United Nations?” (Peabody)
“No, U.N. as in Unidentified Numbskulls.” (Eve)

”You have conversations with strangers all the time,” he (Roarke) pointed out. “You just call them suspects.”
Jilly
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
This was a fun book if you find serial killers interesting. Our bad-guy is a copycat killer and emulates Jack the Ripper first, followed by another couple of famous serial killers. It was really interesting to read about them as we went along. Personally, I love stories with a lot of killing and death, but never have any interest in reading about real-life killers. So, although I am extremely blood-thirsty in my reading material, in real-life I want puppies, rainbows, and cotton candy. Is that a ...more
Diane
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this book - imitation of all the notorious serial killers like Albert DeSoto, Jack The Ripper, etc.! Peabody finally gets her detective shield and Eve has a "glimpse" of what her birth mother was like - sad really. Eve wears her "blues" in this one and surprises even Roarke!!!

2 thumbs up and 5 stars!
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (On Hiatus)
★★★ 3.75 Stars ★★★

The story progressed quite slowly until the last 20%. Loved the characters and lead couple as usual.But I wish I had seen a bit more personal character development and a few sweet moments between Roarke & Eve .(Even though we do get a scene or two in this one :)

Looking forward to Book 18 ! #Longwaytogo
Shawna
5 stars - Romantic Suspense/Futuristic/Romantic Thriller

I love this series and just can’t get enough of these characters, especially Roarke.

“When I came in and you were sleeping, I thought: There’s my soldier, exhausted from her wars.” He lifted her hand, kissed her fingers. “Now, I look, and I think: There’s my woman, soft and lovely.” Her lips curved as he undressed her. “Where do you get this st
Wendy
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this 17th book in J.D. Robb's "In Death" series!
♥Sharon♥
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing

I have such a horrible memory. Really I do. I’m not sure how I came upon this series. I’m sure it was by a friend’s recommendation. Was it you Mo?

However it came to be I am grateful because I have loved every single one of the books I have read.

The two main characters have stolen my heart.

Eve is something else. I love her strength. I love her humor. I love her compassion. And most of all I love how she loves Roarke.

Roarke is breathtaking. I love his strength. I love his weakness when it comes
Anita
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Are serial killers born or are they made? In "Imitation in Death" out killer was made. He is also not very original in that he has chosen to recreate the masters of the craft starting with Jack the Ripper. He calls out Eve with a handwritten note on extremely expensive unrecycled paper. The hunt is on and Eve has four really great suspects and everyone has a different favorite for "Jack". But, Eve knows, she just . . . knows. How to prove it is going to take everything Eve, Roarke and the team h ...more
Karla
5 Stars! J.D. Robb does it again Seventeen books in and this series is still going strong!! It never gets old for me and it just keeps getting better. Roarke and Eve are so comfortable in their relationship, it makes me smile. I love the way they tease each other, Eve comes off as so aloof and annoyed, all the while loving it when Roarke irks her into submission. The passion and desire they have for each other gives me the warm fuzzies. On this particular case Eve brings Roarke on board as a co ...more
Breann
Gawd, this was good.

I was guessing right up until the end.

The last chapter was simply amazing.

Peabody is still my #1 girl.
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
A killer imitating serial killings and a sneaky one at that. I enjoyed it. I've missed Eve and Roarke
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
Finished rereading Imitation & remembered how much I enjoy the relationships in this one. Eve & Roarke, Eve & Peabody, Eve & Mira, Eve & Nadine...our Eve has a family and she is finally realizing & acknowledging it. She finally remembers her mother through yet another nightmare & that is just sad. On the other hand, there's Peabody & she just makes me laugh! She-Body can justify eating anything! Love the donut scene. I should also mention a murderer is imitating t ...more
Lauren
Imitation in Death
4.5 Stars

Homicide Lieutenant Eve Dallas is in pursuit of a vicious killer with a penchant for copying the crimes of the most notorious serial murderers in history. With several suspects to choose from, Dallas and her team will have to use all of their skills and wits to narrow the field before the monster strikes again.

The best book in the series so far, but then I have a Jack the Ripper fetish, lol!

In terms of the case, my preference is for those with several suspects and cl
Lauren
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
in this installment Eve and Peabody are going after a serial killer who is copycatting other famous serial killers. Peabody also goes after her detective Shield not realizing that means Eve will no longer need an aid. fantastic read just wish we had more Eve and roarke time in the book.
Lyn* Nomad *Worlds await*
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Aww, the ending was just perfect!
Lena
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, cops-fbi
39352A11-337B-4622-9546-A0002F5596D1.jpg

An unsub emulating famous serial killers has challenged Eve to catch them.

Challenge Accepted.

There were several viable suspects; a long nuanced procedural.

(view spoiler)
Kara-karina
May 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a case of solid police work and some delightful banter between Peabody and Eve concerning relationships. It totally made me giggle. The series continue to be utterly captivating, and it's the developing character arc that I find so irresistible. Recommended!
Aly is so frigging bored
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, action, audiobook
1st Read from 21-26 May 2013

2nd Read from 7- 26 August 2015
Glamdring
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Another great story with great characters. That being said, I had to laugh softly when one of the most polluting country on Earth was posed as the recycling champion. One can always dream...
Anna
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great story with multiple suspects, gory details and witty banter.

“If Roarke was fooling around with somebody, what would you do?”
“They’d never find the bodies.”
Jerry B
Jul 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Strong police procedural highlights 17th Eve Dallas !

We continue to be astounded at the publishing pace of Nora Roberts. Despite her "regular" books under her own name, these fun NYPD homicide Lt. Eve Dallas stories, written as "JD Robb", keep coming at the rate of one or two a year. "Imitation...", the 17th entry in the "... In Death" series, is not the emotional blockbuster of the just prior two ("Purity..." and "Portrait..."), but nonetheless entertains throughout this tough-minded police pro
Moondance
Summer of 2059 was a mean and murderous bitch who showed no sign of lightening her mood.

A killer is recreating murders by infamous criminals such as Jack the Ripper, The Boston Strangler and Ted Bundy. Eve has a pool of suspects that range from a famous musician to a British diplomat to a true crime writer. Her investigation digs up dirt on each one of them that creates problems in their personal lives.

This series gets better with each book. This one shifted a bit more to Eve and Peabody. Peabod
Christa
The one where a serial killer taunts Eve by imitating famous serial killers in history. Of course, Jack the Ripper and Ted Bundy are mentioned. And then there are some made up serial killers, since this series is set in 2059.

The case was interesting. I did figure out which suspect it was, so that made me feel accomplished. But serial killers aren’t my favorite subject - this would be good if you enjoy true crime - etc.

On a personal note- Eve and Roarke get invited to Mira’s family barbecue and
Readers of Kindle...: Imitation in Death #17 2 10 Apr 19, 2012 06:35AM
Goodreads Librari...: Imitation In Fixes 3 40 Feb 14, 2012 06:19AM
Goodreads Librari...: Imitation in fixing 3 41 Jan 27, 2012 01:27AM

• A Touch of Minx (Samantha Jellicoe, #5)
  • Private Scandals
  • Hades
  • Deception Cove (Rainshadow, #2; Ghost Hunters, #10)
  • Gone Too Far (Troubleshooters, #6)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 50 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
“You've got no sense of humor."

"I'm going to laugh really hard after I kick your ass.”
366 likes
“Roarke: "I'll drop you."

Eve: "No, better I catch a cab or take the underground. This guy sees me show up in a hot car with a fancy piece behind the wheel, he's not going to like me."

Roarke: "You know how I love being referred. to as your fancy piece."

Eve: "Sometimes you're my love muffin.

He managed a strangled laugh.She could, at the oddest times, surprise him.”
76 likes