Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jes3ica) | 18 comments Mod
The Tin Drum | Günter Grass

Bizarre and wonderful.

message 2: by Peggy (new)

Peggy | 7 comments Mod
I read this in college when I was taking a German lit class. My god, Grass is simply an amazing writer.

message 3: by Juliane (new)

Juliane (libristar) Some great German books:
Thomas Mann "Buddenbrooks"
Alfred Döblin "Berlin Alexanderplatz"
Hans Fallada "Little Man, What Now?"

message 4: by Tori (new)

Tori | 2 comments Having just finished reading it this past month, I would definitely have to recommend Franz Kafka's "The Castle", or any of his literary works.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 96 comments Goethe Faust

message 6: by Stef (new)

Stef (buch_ratte) | 20 comments Most books by Philipp Vandenberg

message 7: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3 comments Perfume by Patrick Süskind! Scary and awesome!

message 8: by Abi (new)

Abi All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 96 comments All quiet on the western front was/is great.
I'm planning to read A time to love and time to die and Heaven has no favourites

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol (zhelicarol) The Reader by Bernhard Schlink

message 11: by Stef (new)

Stef (buch_ratte) | 20 comments Measuring The World by Daniel Kehlmann

message 12: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 96 comments Yeah Measuring the World A Novel was a gread read.

message 13: by Stef (new)

Stef (buch_ratte) | 20 comments The Neverending Story by Michael Ende

Although he is famous for his books for children, this one is for adults as well, even if the movie is just for kids.

message 14: by Rodrigo (new)

Rodrigo (rlmflores) | 6 comments The Sorrows of Young Werther is an amazing book. Be careful to not kill yourself in the end.

message 15: by Stef (new)

Stef (buch_ratte) | 20 comments Newest german author I discovered for myself is Klaus Modick. So far I only read his book BESTSELLER but I will definitely read more of his books. Unfortunately they are only available in german.

message 17: by Silver (new)

Silver Here are some really good German Short Stories I have read:

Youth, Beautiful Youth ~ Hermann Hesse
The Metamorphisis ~ Kafka

Johann Peter Hebel is a great German short sotry writing I loved these works:

Kannitervestan
Unexpected Reunion
The Hussar

message 18: by Bettie (new)

Bettie Silver wrote: "Here are some really good German Short Stories I have read:

Youth, Beautiful Youth ~ Hermann Hesse
The Metamorphisis ~ Kafka

Johann Peter Hebel is a great German short sotry writing I love..."

Kafka was from Bohemia, now part of Czech Republic.
:O)

message 19: by Bettie (new)

Bettie Stef wrote: "Measuring The World by Daniel Kehlmann"

Daniel Kehlmann is Austrian

message 20: by Stef (new)

Stef (buch_ratte) | 20 comments Bettie (Goodreads Reader!) wrote: "Stef wrote: "Measuring The World by Daniel Kehlmann"

Daniel Kehlmann is Austrian
:O)"

Well, he might live in Vienna from time to time but he also lives in Berlin and was born in Munich, Germany. And since I can't find anything about him saying that he changed his citizenship he is still german.

message 21: by Bettie (new)

Bettie I was about to rip up my biographical history directory in disgust there for moment, given your prompt reply, but upon checking on other sources he has both German and Austrian citizenship.

message 22: by Stef (new)

Stef (buch_ratte) | 20 comments Bettie (Goodreads Reader!) wrote: "I was about to rip up my biographical history directory in disgust there for moment, given your prompt reply, but upon checking on other sources he has both German and Austrian citizenship.

:O)"

Bettie,

don't rip up the poor book. In his book it just says that he was born in Munich, nothing else. Therefore I assumed that he was german. I never really questioned his german citizenship until I read your post. For a moment I really thought I was wrong and had to check him out on the internet.

Stef

message 23: by Silver (last edited May 07, 2009 04:25PM) (new)

Silver Ahh well I have a book of German Tales and Short Stories in which Kafka is included becasue her was raised within a German community in Bohemia

message 24: by Bettie (new)

Bettie Jessica wrote: "The Tin Drum | Günter Grass

Bizarre and wonderful."

yes indeedy - brilliant

message 25: by Amanda (new)

Amanda BeReckonedwith (DreamRabbit) | 7 comments I have recently started a delightful book about Kafka, which discusses him, his myth and the weird state of being a minority as a German-speaking Jew in Prague while the Austro-Hungarian Empire started to dissolve in the first world war. It is, alas, written by a English or Welsh man who - aha - speaks and reads German.

also, it is quite recent : Why You Should Read Kafka Before You Waste Your Life by James Hawe (2008)

message 26: by Des (last edited Dec 17, 2009 10:25AM) (new)

Des (des123) Some more must reads in German Literature, that have not been mentioned yet:
Group Portrait With Lady - Böll, Heinrich
The Good Woman of Setzuan - Brecht, Bertolt
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/64...
The Good Woman of Setzuan
Homo Faber - Frisch, Max
The German Lesson - Lenz, Siegfried
Der Untertan - Mann, Heinrich

message 30: by Coqueline (last edited Feb 12, 2010 03:47PM) (new)

Coqueline | 3 comments I'm reading a German book (translated to English) with the quirky title of The Invention of Curried Sausage by Uwe Timm.

I had this book on my wishlish for so long, before I finally got a copy of it. Should be an interesting read, since I love quirky books, and currywurst... :D

message 31: by Justin (new)

Justin | 1 comments Emil & the Detectives by Erich Kastner