The Sword and Laser discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What Else Are You Reading? > What Else Are You Reading - September 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 192 (192 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Kevin (last edited Aug 31, 2013 06:48PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments Just wondering once again as I do almost every month, what exactly is on everyone's reading quota as another month passes.

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments Hmmm on tap for September after I finished what I have started now
Hammered (Iron Druid 3)- Kevin Hearne
Kinslayer (lotus war 2)- Jay Kristoff- when it comes out
The Furies of Calderon - Jim Butcher
And some others Im thinking about including

Kenobi, Three, The Poe Shadow, Nexus, Post Apocalyptic Nomadic Warriors, Project Nemesis, Mr Penumbras 24hr Bookstore,Tinker, Low Town, Light...

I want to read everything at once so I can never make up my mind :(

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy Sinnott | 31 comments Just grab WoT #1 on audio so I can eventually, in a hundred years or so, say I read the, all (got through the first eight or so then stopped and now don't remember a thing!). Aiming to read the second Chalion book, start the Vorkosigan saga (did I spell that right?) and maybe the second Alex Verus book as I loved the first and I'm having Dresden withdrawals having finally caught up with his last month. Oh, and my nutrition textbook. Really. I will study I promise!

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy Sinnott | 31 comments And I just lost ten points for failing to proofread before posting :/

message 5: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 148 comments Devouring Glitter and Mayhem :-)

message 6: by Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth (last edited Aug 31, 2013 11:23PM) (new)

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1864 comments I recently, and surprisingly (I was expecting it was far too late for a quick 'what have I got to lose' application) been accepted onto an English Literature and Creative Writing degree course at a local university, so for the next two years (complications meant I skipped the first year) my reading will be mostly dictated by the course, starting a little later this month. However, since Philip K Dick's We Can Remember It for You Wholesale is going to be one of the first books we look at, that probably won't be a bad thing. And I'll do my best to keep up with the club picks too.

So right now, I'm finishing off Boneshaker then I'll start on this month's pick, all the while slowly working my way through the Norton Anthologies in order to be prepared for when the course starts. I'm all excited! :D

message 7: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Sep 01, 2013 05:17PM) (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6785 comments Mod
Going to be a busy a month for me. I'm slated to read:

The Demolished Man (S&L)
Red Seas Under Red Skies (Not A Book Club Club)
Steelheart (NABCC)

Finishing The Bonehunters (Malzan Fallen)
Starting Toll the Hounds Reaper's Gale (Edit: /wrongbookfail) (MF)

On Audio I'll be finishing Beyond the Shadows, but past that I'm not sure what else I'll listen to this month.

message 8: by Louise (new)

Louise (louiseh87) | 352 comments Finishing off London Falling andGod's War, then I have Blackbirds, Empire of Ivory, Light and Moxyland queued up. If I have time, I'll read this month's pick, but a few of those are borrowed (from people or the library, who want them back asap) so they have priority at the moment.

message 9: by Camilla (new)

Camilla Hansen (malazanshadowdancer) | 64 comments I just finished reading beta on a book, so I finally have time again to finish up on some other books! ... Not that I really manage to do that.

I'm still reading Toll the Hounds, but I'm getting there. I just took a bit more in Chronicles of the Black Company, it is after all three books. I'm at book two.

And my audiobook is almost untouched lately. Book two of the Wheel of Time series.

I WAS going to start another, but I'll wait a while.

message 10: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 329 comments Starting The Lions of al-Rassan, really loved Tigana. Thought it was about time I got to another of his titles.

message 11: by terpkristin (last edited Sep 01, 2013 07:59AM) (new)

terpkristin | 4144 comments I'm finally making progress in Riding Rockets: The Outrageous Tales of a Space Shuttle Astronaut! I think I'll finish it today. That will clear the way for me to read The Demolished Man in print. Once I'm done with that, I have a book called Honorgrail: The Attack of the Dragon Horde also in print, which was written by a former coworker of mine.

In audio, I'm currently listening to The Mongoliad: Book Two and plan to move right into The Mongoliad: Book Three when I'm done. After taking a fairly long (a month or 2) break between books 1 and 2, I think it'll be easier to keep the story consistency by moving directly. I also have a final prequel in that series to read (Seer: A Prequel to the Mongoliad) and then some of the Foreworld SideQuests.

I'm going to be having surgery in about a week. I expect that while my brain is completely muddled and while I'm in the hospital, I might try some easier stuff in audio, including Inferno and Hexed. Or I might just sleep. You know, either one. ;)

message 12: by Ryne (new)

Ryne | 68 comments Chimera Vector by Nathan Farrigua.

message 13: by Bryan (new)

Bryan | 111 comments Right now I'm finishing up Fool Moon and then I'll be moving on to Titus Alone. Not sure what I'll read after that.

message 14: by Geoff (new)

Geoff (geoffgreer) Currently:
The Human Division by Scalzi. I wasn't convinced of this series before it was a club pick but have really gotten into it since then.

Next up:
A Fear Of Dark Water by Craig Russell. Maybe, I think I meant to read it in August too.
The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch. Hopefully, if I can get my library's copy first.
Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson. Contingency, if I don't get the Gentleman Bastards book.

message 15: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Geoff wrote: "The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch. Hopefully, if I can get my library's copy first."

I'm pretty sure that won't be out until early October. We plan on reading/discussing it in The Not A Bookclub Club.

I believe October 8th to be precise.

message 16: by Geoff (new)

Geoff (geoffgreer) Rob wrote: "Geoff wrote: "The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch. Hopefully, if I can get my library's copy first."

I'm pretty sure that won't be out until early October. We plan on reading/discussing it in T..."

Yes, I've just realized that I'm a month early. Oh well, I'll just have to read Sanderson this month.

message 17: by Rob, Roberator (new)

That's never a bad thing in my estimation. :-)

message 18: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I finished Gone Girl yesterday. It was good. Now reading Shift Omnibus by Hugh Howey.

message 19: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2269 comments I finished Shattered Pillars, which I highly, highly recommend, and, on a whim, started Osiris by E.J. Swift.

message 20: by Molly (last edited Sep 01, 2013 01:03PM) (new)

Molly (mollyrichmer) | 129 comments Finally got ahold of The Curse of Chalion, so I'll be finishing that up in the next couple days. Then it's on to MaddAddam, the final book in Margaret Atwood's post-apocalyptic series. Can't wait!

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2859 comments terpkristin wrote: "I'm going to be having surgery in about a week. I expect that while my brain is completely muddled and while I'm in the hospital, I might try some easier stuff in audio, including Inferno and Hexed. Or I might just sleep. You know, either one. ;) ..."

I'll be thinking of you! I hope this it works better this time. I sent you some audiobooks but I have another list with some really light titles - Roald Dahl!

message 22: by Don (new)

Don McDonald (dmmacs) | 114 comments Judas Unchained on Audible and still trying to catch up on the August club pick The Curse of Chalion

message 23: by Clyde (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 416 comments Now doing Up Jim River on Audible, Earth dreams on paper, and Snipers on the Kindle. After Snipers I'll start a re-read of The Demolished Man.
Next up after that will be
The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944.

message 24: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 329 comments Clyde wrote: "Next up after that will be
The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944. "

I really liked these first two books, haven't picked up the third yet, probably for Christmas.

message 25: by Clyde (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 416 comments Ctgt wrote: "Clyde wrote: "Next up after that will be
The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944. "

I really liked these first two books, haven't picked up the third yet, probably for Christmas."

I read Atkinson's An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa, 1942-1943. It is hands down the best history I have read of the war in North Africa. I have a special interest in it and in The Day of Battle because both cover the areas and times when my father was in the thick of it.

message 26: by Scott (new)

Scott (dodger1379) | 126 comments The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis

Should be finishing up The Ghost Brigades by John Scalzi this week

message 27: by LegalKimchi (new)

LegalKimchi | 112 comments much like molly, I also just started the curse of chalion. I regret not reading it with the group. I am enjoying it so far. sneaking it in between antitrust law:policy and practice, family law, and selections of international economic law. guess which one I like the most....

message 28: by Adam (new)

Adam Gutschenritter (heregrim) | 110 comments I am shooting for
Little Brother Corey Doctorow
William Shakespeare's Star Wars by Ian Doescher
Gateway by Frederik Pohl (I had planned this before I found out he died)
The Diminished Man by Alfred Bester
Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
The Dispossessed by Ursula Le Guin
Come on all you ghosts by Matthew Zapruder

message 29: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan  Smith | 8 comments I have a paperback reading list around 2 feet high including Foundation and Rendezvous with Rama, but my younger sister (16) is desperate for me to get into the Alex Scarrow Time Riders series with her. The young adult teenager angst may not be my style, but the imagination and storytelling ability of Alex Scarrow cannot be overlooked. Err, aside from the totally original alt history scenario that the Germans win WW2 and invade the USA. That's never been suggested before...

message 30: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) some interesting reading going on. Adam if you like Little Brother there is a free novella just published on Tor.com by doctorow set in the same world (and there is the decent sequel Homeland too).

I am hoping to get through at least:-

Ghost Story - Peter Straub
Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Heinlein
The Uninvited - Liz Jensen

as well as some short and also non genre fiction. Reading the predictably depressing Eleven Kinds of Loneliness so will probably need to read something in which at least one of the characters has at least some small chance of happiness real soon.

message 31: by David(LA,CA) (new)

David(LA,CA) (davidscharf) | 327 comments Just finished up The Demolished Man. Going to finish up Milkweed with Necessary Evil, and will be using my audible credit for the month on Mistborn: The Final Empire

message 34: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (tenebrous) | 377 comments Paladin of Souls, next in the Challion series

Abbadon's Gate by James SA Corey
Tyrant's Law by Daniel Abraham.
American God's by N.G. (never really read it).
Perhaps I am Number Four after that because I got it for cheap on a kindle sale.

message 35: by Dharmakirti (last edited Sep 03, 2013 07:30PM) (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments I'm still working on The Magic Mountain, slow going but it's so good. Here's a(nother) plug to come on by The Thomas Mann Group and join us if you are interested in reading and discussing one of the classic novels of the 20th century. You would have a little catching up to do, but the reading pace is pretty relaxed.

As a palette cleanser between chapters in The Magic Mountain, I'm reading Darwin Elevator. I'm less than a hundred pages in and so far it's serving its function by entertaining me with something lite and easy.

message 36: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 588 comments Got Demolition Man out of the way-meh. Started Paladin of Souls because I really liked Chalion and I've seen it said around town here that it's even better. I also have the first book to the Vorkosigan Saga from the humble bundle and Dust hanging out on the nook.

message 37: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Ashley Roberts  | 65 comments I'm reading 'a feast for crows' and listening to 'The Count of Monte Cristo' on Audible

message 38: by Ctgt (last edited Sep 04, 2013 09:14AM) (new)

Ctgt | 329 comments Clyde wrote: "I read Atkinson's An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa, 1942-1943. It is hands down the best history I have read of the war in North Africa."

I was woefully unfamiliar with that aspect of the war. Hope you enjoy the second just as much as I did.

BTW also really enjoyed The Last Valley: Dien Bien Phu and the French Defeat in Vietnam, a fascinating book if you have an interest in the Vietnam time frame.

Sorry folks, didn't mean to hijack the thread, I'm done.

message 39: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I was reading Shift Omnibus Edition but it was really dull so I quit. Going to finish the Farseer trilogy. On to Assassin's Quest.

message 40: by Michael (new)

Michael Dannemiller | 2 comments Just finished Feed, and just started Deadline, and will continue on to Blackout. I'm really hoping to finish Greywalker too this month, but it might be far fetched. I'm skipping the SL book this month as it doesnt particularly interest me.

message 41: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments Finished The Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton and totally loved it, I was so caught up by the story and characters. I want to digest it for a while so I'm doing some rereading, listening to Dune Messiah and going to start Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner because I want to read the newest book in that series.

message 42: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 329 comments Just finished The Lions of al-Rassan another great GGK book. Starting a re-read of The Shining.

message 43: by Belle (new)

Belle (grimmira) For book clubs:

Here's the Deal: Don't Touch Me
The Native Star
Warrior

With the kids:

My son requested that we start a book club just him, my daughter, and me because we can not find a book club where he would fit in. So, that started this month. We are starting off with the entire Harry Potter series (my daughter & I have already it, but we're just now getting my son interested in it).
Lord of the Flies with my daughter for her English class
The Canning Season & Touching Spirit Bear with my son for his required reading (we decided that since I am reading his sister's required books for English with her, it is only fair that I read some of his required reading books, as well)

Just for me:
The Walking Dead, Book One
Sweeney Todd The Graphic Novel: Original Text: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men
The Help
I'm also rereading the entire Mercy Thompson series

message 44: by Teri (last edited Sep 05, 2013 10:20AM) (new)

Teri Woolley I'm reading Stone of Farewell right now. I'm hoping to have that finished soon. My "plan" is to read Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond, First Lord's Fury then, if I have time, I want to reread The Sword of Shannara trilogy. I'm also looking at a couple of new authors for me and I've downloaded samples to my Kindle. The longer I'm in this group the longer my wishlist gets at Amazon.

message 45: by Pickle (last edited Sep 05, 2013 12:07PM) (new)

Pickle | 192 comments just about to finish Make Room! Make Room!.. then i plan to read Redshirts, The Affirmation and possibly my first Dean Koontz From the Corner of His Eye

message 46: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Namadan (jnamadan) | 218 comments After the last podcast w/ Jim Butcher as well as receiving my Audible credits, I'm starting on the Codex Alera series w/ Furies of Calderon. About time I read this. Also going to pick up The Demolished Man for the club pick.

message 47: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Jeff wrote: "After the last podcast w/ Jim Butcher as well as receiving my Audible credits, I'm starting on the Codex Alera series w/ Furies of Calderon. About time I read this. Also going to pick up The Demoli..."

The first two books are fairly trope heavy but I really love books 3 & 4.

message 48: by Laura (new)

Laura (conundrum44) | 98 comments I finished a William Henry Harrison bio (it was short). I started Thunderball. I've been sick this week, so I've made great progress in The Way of Kings and am greatly enjoying it.

message 49: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (masupert) | 215 comments I started reading The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy but just could not get into it. I don't think I was in the right mindset for it. I ultimately have gone back to the Malazan world and I am now reading Midnight Tides

message 50: by Jon (new)

Jon (fictionalized) | 18 comments I just finished I Am Not A Serial Killer, and that was after I lemmed The Demolished Man after a third of the book. I'll probably finish the audiobook for Control Point tomorrow or Sunday, and then start on the audiobook for The Alloy of Law.

The next book I'll read will probably be either Gardens of the Moon or Heroes Die. Haven't decided which yet.

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.