Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Archive Discussion > PLEASE HELP: Recommendations desperately needed! :)

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenell (new)

Brenell (paranormal_bookworm94) | 6 comments I am in desperate need of help! I'm literally at the point where I cannot find anything I like to read. I loved the Anita Blake Series (yes even the later ones....especially the later ones lol!) I am looking for a series that follows the same characters throughout, that has lots of violence, strong female protagonist,and sex.

I have already read:
Merry Gentry series
Black Dagger Brotherhood
Nigh Huntress
Woman of the Other world
Riley Jenson
Dresden Files
Cassandra Palmer (but I thought the dialogue was dreadful)
Fever Series
House of Night
Sookie Stackhosue

Please no YA series recommendations, I find them a bit annoying :)

Thank you so much in advance!

message 2: by Angie Elle (new)

Angie Elle (angieelle) | 14 comments OK...you have omitted the Dark-Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon. You must remedy that immediately! LOL

message 3: by Brenell (new)

Brenell (paranormal_bookworm94) | 6 comments Thanks!! Is it the same character throughout all the books?

message 4: by Brenell (new)

Brenell (paranormal_bookworm94) | 6 comments Angie wrote: "OK...you have omitted the Dark-Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon. You must remedy that immediately! LOL"

I looked the books up and I am finding so many different reading orders!! What order am I supposed to read these books in lol there are so many! :) Thanks

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily | 5 comments I am reading the BDB series now, but I recently finished the Dark Swan Series by Richelle Mead and it was pretty awesome! Only four books, but it follows the same female lead character with lots of sex and some pretty good fighting scenes. I almost would compare the beginning of the series to Dresden Files with sex added in :D

Also, a more fantasy based PNR series that I am totally in love with is Shannon K Butcher's (yes she is the wife of Dresden Files Jim Butcher) Sentinel Wars series. It's a lot like BDB in the way that each book of the series follows one male who finds his female, but the characters are not vampires they are Theronai, a race of warriors who are in constant pain until they "bond" with their female couterpart who can wield the magic pent up inside them that causes them pain. This series is what made me love PNR!!

message 7: by Angie Elle (new)

Angie Elle (angieelle) | 14 comments Brenell wrote: "Thanks!! Is it the same character throughout all the books?"

No, they are different couples per book, but the characters occur in mulitiple books.

Start with Fantasy Lover, and follow up with Night Pleaseures. There are a lot of Anthology/Novellas, but I never read any of those.

I just want to say--Fantasy Lover is my least favorite, so if you start reading, at least commit to the first two! I will try to remember to post reading order tonight. If I don't, give me heck and I'll get right on it! LOL

message 8: by Brenell (new)

Brenell (paranormal_bookworm94) | 6 comments Angie wrote: "Brenell wrote: "Thanks!! Is it the same character throughout all the books?"

No, they are different couples per book, but the characters occur in mulitiple books.

Start with Fantasy Lover, and fo..."

Thanks!

message 10: by Brenell (new)

Brenell (paranormal_bookworm94) | 6 comments Emily wrote: "I am reading the BDB series now, but I recently finished the Dark Swan Series by Richelle Mead and it was pretty awesome! Only four books, but it follows the same female lead character with lots of..."

Dark swan series sounds pretty good, I will for sure check it out!

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (mybookboyfriend) | 155 comments I really like the Demonica series, Dark Swan which I had listed above, Elemental Assassin series is awesome. All the books I've posted above are 5 stars reads for me.

Ninab (Honesty is the Best Policy)  | 47 comments I have to mention Nalini Singh (both her Guild Hunter series and her Psy-Changeling series). Heat level is good, and the Guild Hunter series is probably a bit darker. Psy-Changeling covers a broader spectrum of characters (not all the female protagonists are of the kick-butt variety) but is responsible for my all-time favorite PNR, Branded by Fire.

Heat level may not be high enough in Ilona Andrews's Kate Daniels series, Shannon Mayer's Rylie Adamson series, and Melissa F. Olson's Scarlett Bernard series, but they might make a good match for your other criteria.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa G. | 1 comments Elemental Mysteries by Elizabeth Hunter are the greatest. She is an amazing writer and her worlds are fantastic. Trust me, you will be hooked!

message 14: by B.N. (new)

B.N. Toler I'm not sure if it is considered uncouth to recommend my own novel, so my apologies if it is. My novel HEALER is the first part in a planned three part series. You can read reviews from my page for others input. It has everything you are looking for. Good luck. I am a HUGE sookie Stackhouse fan as well.
Healer

message 15: by Brenell (new)

Brenell (paranormal_bookworm94) | 6 comments Emily wrote: "I am reading the BDB series now, but I recently finished the Dark Swan Series by Richelle Mead and it was pretty awesome! Only four books, but it follows the same female lead character with lots of..."
I just finished the first dark swan book, it was fantastic!!!

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather | 7 comments You should try the mercy Thompson series.

message 17: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catherinemb) Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews
Guild Hunter and Psy-Changling series by Nalini Singh
Demonica by Larissa Ione (hot, hot, hot)

message 18: by Mel (last edited Jan 24, 2016 04:59AM) (new)

Mel (ravenwood1984) Some of my favorite series' have been (pardon any repeats from others posts and I'm just putting book 1 of a series):

A Discovery of Witches
A Kiss of Shadows
Age of Iron
Bloodlist
Boundary Crossed
God Touched
Greywalker
Guardian's Grace
Guilty Pleasures
Hard Magic
Hounded
Interview with the Vampire (mmmm....this was pick and choose for me.
London Falling
Magic Bites
Midnight Riot
Midnight's Daughter
Monster Hunter International
Moon Called
Night Watch
Six Heirs (not sure if this qualifies for what you're looking for.)
Storm Front
The Color of Magic (maybe more fantasy than paranormal, but still a great series.)
The Grendel Affair
The Greyfriar
The Lies of Locke Lamora
Theft of Swords and The Crown Tower are written by Michael J. Sullivan you can start with either one.

I also advise reading compilation books like:
Carniepunk
Chicks Kick Butt
Dark and Stormy Knights
Hex Appeal
My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon
My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding
On the Prowl
Strange Brew
or any compilation you find an author you enjoy having had something to with. They are great ways to find new authors you may love. A taste as it were of their writing without having to slog through the whole story.

★ ☆ Booksaholic ★ ☆ (booksaholic) | 2 comments Hey guys,

I used to read paranormal romance all the time, then it seemed like I ran out of good ones to read. I just started getting back into them, I finished the first two Innkeeper Chronicles by Ilona Andrews yesterday now I am hungry for more. I have read the other Ilona Andrews books as well. So I am looking for PRN series from the last couple years. TIA!

message 20: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Have you tried The Fae Chronicles by Amelia Hutchins?