Common Sense Common Sense question

What should every American read?
thethousanderclub thethousanderclub Aug 28, 2013 03:57PM
America is the most powerful nation on earth. Its economy, its military, its constitution, its government, and its people are a force to be reckoned with around the globe. So what makes it tick? And which book would give an insight into America that every American should have? I've read a fair share of books dealing with American history, especially the revolutionary and constitutional debate epochs, but I think I've settled on one book, a political tract really, that every American should read to understand a little bit better the country they live in.

See the full blog post here: http://thethousanderclub.blogspot.com...

What do you think every American should read?

all great choices; from my end I have found the following especially illuminating and reaffirming: 1) Ron Chernows Hamilton, (the first quintessential American), Halberstam's The Children (no better description of American born courage and social/morale vision), de Toqueville, just because writing about us in 1836-7 was so damn amazing, Gary Wills, LIncoln at Gettysburg, or anything written about Lincoln and his speeches...I can go on , as we all can,,,,,but a start for 2015....

I read a lot of books, however at times I raise my head and look around at the current issues at hand, I become perplexed and discouraged. I return to read again my favorite, "The Conservative Mind" from Burke to Eliot (Seventh Revised Edition) and I become more realized at why things are the way they are.
Sully

thethousanderclub Very nice. I'll have to check it out. ...more
Sep 15, 2013 07:33PM · flag

Americans should read everything we can get our hands on. There is such a myriad of ideas and thoughts available, you can't possibly read them all. I think the Constitution is a great place to start, which contains the Bill of Rights. My suggestion is if you read politics, then read both sides of the argument, not just the side you agree with to get a fuller version of the picture. Read the Federalist Papers as well as the Anti-Federalist Papers.

As for books, just a starter list:

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Moby Dick
Uncle Tom's Cabin
The Jungle
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
To Kill a Mockingbird
Losing My Cool: How a Father's Love and 15,000 Books Beat Hip-Hop Culture
The Right Stuff
The Pact
The Catcher in the Rye
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Fahrenheit 451
Dandelion Wine
Slaughterhouse-Five

Feel free to add to the list as you see fit. I tried to add books that catch our uniquely American views. Of course read Shakespeare and every other great literature. Read works by foreign authors.

Just read.