The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

FALL CHALLENGE 2013 > 30.1. Ms. Anderson's Task: I'm Sorry, Dee!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Sep 10, 2013 02:09PM) (new)

Sandy | 15897 comments Mod
30.1. Ms. Anderson's Task: I'm Sorry, Dee!

By rolling double 5s last season for my task, Dee…well, it's hard to know where to find good poetry if you're not a fan of it to begin with. So I recommended Ellen Hopkins' books, and now she has a new author she likes! Yay!

…But because of the initial trauma and angst I put her through (not to mention the drama of the books themselves), this task is dedicated to her. Thanks for being my "reading sister," Dee!

Roll two dice. If you get doubles, roll again until you get two different numbers. Dice Roller. REQUIRED: State what numbers you rolled.

NOTE: As always, my task is a children's and graphic novel-friendly place! Children's books under 300 pages can be used, as can graphic novels, and books with the genre Sequential Art, Comics, Comic Book, or Manga, as long as they meet the task and general SRC requirements.

Option 1: Finding new authors can be fun, but sometimes it's nice to just get to know an acquaintance better. Read a book by an author you've discovered and read at least one book by since January 2013.

Option 2: Dee and I both enjoy love stories that are less mainstream‒they're just more fun! Read a book with the genre GLBT on its main page.

Option 3: Our readerboard names may be long, but both Dee and I go by names that have three letters. Read a book by an author whose first or last name has only three letters.

Option 4: Ellen Hopkins' books are amazing, don't get me wrong. But they're also somewhat dark and heavy, and they need some balance with other books. Read a book with the genre "Humor" on the main page.

Option 5: All of the titles of Ellen Hopkins' books are one word, and Dee and I both got a laugh out of that. Read a book with at least five words in the TITLE (subtitles and series titles don't count).

Option 6: I like to create die-roll tasks because they're more interesting and challenging...but there's a time and place for a little choice, too. Choose any of the options 1-5 for your second book. You may choose the same option you used for your first book. Required: state which option you chose.

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Mine!

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Also mine!

message 4: by Sandy (new)

This thread is now open!

message 5: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments Having rolled for two graphic novels in your last task, Ms. Anderson, this one cracked me up! :-)

message 6: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments I rolled a 1 and a 6-
I want to do Option 1 for both books-

Can I read the same "new to me" author for both of the books?

message 7: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments I rolled a 1 and 6 as well :)

message 8: by Christina (AKA Babbling) (last edited Aug 25, 2013 03:26PM) (new)

Christina (AKA Babbling) (babblingbookreviews) | 629 comments I rolled a 3 and a 6. I was a little concerned about the 3 (at first) until I realized just how many books I owned that fit. I'm going to do Option 1 -- I just have to decide which new-to-me author to pick from. :D

message 9: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 1839 comments For Option 3 could I read a book by Sue Ann Jaffarian? Not sure if it counts as 3 letters or 6.

Thanks

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Kathy G. wrote: "I rolled a 1 and a 6-

Can I read the same "new to me" author for both of the books?"

You may, since it's just an author you've discovered since January.

~~~~

Bluemoon wrote: "For Option 3 could I read a book by Sue Ann Jaffarian? Not sure if it counts as 3 letters or 6.

Thanks"

Looking at her website, which refers to her as "Sue Ann," I'm going to have to say it's six.

message 11: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Cute task! LOL, I love both yours and Dee's tasks this season!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

message 13: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Delmy =^.^= wrote: "For Option 1: the wide window
For Option 5: the strange case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and other tales of terror

Would these work?"

Sounds good to me! I'm assuming you only started reading Lemony Snicket since January :D

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I have known about these books but never gotten around to reading them.

message 15: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1352 comments Option 2 Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe on the off chance GBLT falls off the main page.

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

message 16: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Deborah wrote: "Option 2 Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe on the off chance GBLT falls off the main page.

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz"

Approved. I just read it, and it definitely fits. Great book!

message 17: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3929 comments I rolled a 2 and a 3. GBLT literature is not something I want to read. Think I might end up skipping your task, Ms. Anderson.

message 18: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Bea wrote: "I rolled a 2 and a 3. GBLT literature is not something I want to read. Think I might end up skipping your task, Ms. Anderson."

Sorry to hear that. If it helps, I know plenty of non-romance novels labeled GBLT (I almost never read erotica, since I stick to books I can recommend to my students), including some novels-in-verse and well-written memoirs. But it's up to you which tasks you choose!

message 19: by Valorie (last edited Aug 25, 2013 06:02PM) (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Can I get these two approved for option 4, I don't want the humor designation to fall off their main pages.

Rock Chick
Fifth Grave Past the Light

Thanks!

message 20: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Valorie wrote: "Can I get these two approved for option 4, I don't want the humor designation to fall off their main pages.

Rock Chick
Fifth Grave Past the Light

Thanks!"

Both approved, just in case!

message 21: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1352 comments I also found Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden .

Does GLBT also count?

message 22: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Deborah wrote: "I also found Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden.

Does GLBT also count?"

It does (and it's a wonderful book--I read it in college for one of my YA lit courses).

How did I miss that? I'll have Sandy fix the acronym so it's perfectly clear ^_^;; Thank you for pointing that out!

message 23: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1352 comments Thanks:) I have officially added another book to my TBR list. This group seems to do this to me.

message 24: by Dee (last edited Aug 25, 2013 06:22PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7591 comments Bea - I can probably help you find something as well

message 25: by Ty (new)

Ty  | 563 comments So, I just want to be sure - because everyone has been burned this season - we do NOT have to specify that the author is new to us (gasp) for Option 1?

message 26: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Ty wrote: "So, I just want to be sure - because everyone has been burned this season - we do NOT have to specify that the author is new to us (gasp) for Option 1?"

Nope. Sandy and I talked about it, too, and she said it didn't need to be there. The author should just be someone you first read this year.

message 27: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7591 comments I don't think she is sorry at all ;) even if she says she is

message 28: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Dee wrote: "I don't think she is sorry at all ;) even if she says she is"

If I wasn't sorry, I'd have made an all-poetry, all-new-authors task just for you *_~

message 29: by Ana (new)

Ana | 335 comments What is GLBT?

message 30: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Ana wrote: "What is GLBT?"

Gay Lesbian Bi-Sexual Transgendered. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT

message 31: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 1839 comments Ms Anderson wrote: "Kathy G. wrote: "I rolled a 1 and a 6-

Can I read the same "new to me" author for both of the books?"

You may, since it's just an author you've discovered si..."

No worries I am sure I can find something else. Thought it was worth a shot.

message 32: by Bea (last edited Aug 26, 2013 03:38AM) (new)

Bea | 3929 comments Ms. Anderson, sometimes sleep helps. I remembered as I fell asleep last night that we have had another GLBT task in the past and that Dee, I think, recommeded some books to me. Well, last night I did not remember the name of the book nor when the task was, so I scanned my list of read books in the past year. I found it!

I read Blue Place and ended up giving it 5*. So I think I will try book #2 Stay, if I can get it on interlibrary loan.

My second book for this task is between: Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson, Out to Canaan by Jan Karon and Three-legged Horse by Ann Hood. All of which I own.

message 33: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7591 comments Another cute book bea is My Awesome/Awful Popularity Plan

message 34: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Like the task--not so fond of the dice roll (come on! that six is just an invitation to dithering over what to choose.)

For the author new to me this year, does a pseudonym count? I'd read the author under her regular name, but she has switched genres and is using a different name for those.

message 35: by April (last edited Aug 26, 2013 07:44AM) (new)

April I rolled a 1 and a 5

Will The Book of Lost Fragrances work for 5 words? Didn't know if we could count The.

If not, I'm pretty sure this works, The Many Lives & Secret Sorrows of Josephine B.. 5 not counting the, of, or the B.

message 36: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Bea wrote: "Ms. Anderson, sometimes sleep helps. I remembered as I fell asleep last night that we have had another GLBT task in the past and that Dee, I think, recommeded some books to me. Well, last night I d..."

All of the three-letter names will work fine.

And yes, sleep always helps. I might need to pick up the Aud Torvingen books...I've heard of the author, but the synopses sound interesting.

~~~~

Donna Jo wrote: "Like the task--not so fond of the dice roll (come on! that six is just an invitation to dithering over what to choose.)

For the author new to me this year, does a pseudonym count? I'd read the au..."

Since it's the same person writing under another name, I'm going to have to say it won't work. But maybe the book you have in mind will work for one of the other options and you could use your 6 for that? *_~

~~~~

April wrote: "I rolled a 1 and a 5

Will The Book of Lost Fragrances work for 5 words? Didn't know if we could count The.

If not, I'm pretty sure this works, The Many Lives & Secret Sorrows of Josephine B.. 5 n..."

I'm counting all parts of speech as words, so either book will work!

message 37: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3929 comments Dee wrote: "Another cute book bea is My Awesome/Awful Popularity Plan"

Dee, that does look like it would be a fun read.

message 38: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments It's okay. It suddenly dawned on me I'd already slated that book for another task and I have another author I can use. It's so great that even with all the books I've read I can still come up with new-to-me authors. And excuses to read them.

message 39: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Donna Jo wrote: "It's okay. It suddenly dawned on me I'd already slated that book for another task and I have another author I can use. It's so great that even with all the books I've read I can still come up wit..."

You should see my list of library requests for the upcoming challenge. I keep finding books I want to read, so I've got about 20 checked out, another 15 on hold, and 10 or so "in transit," just in case the new to-be-posted tasks will fit the ones I don't already have placed.

message 40: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Ms Anderson wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "It's okay. It suddenly dawned on me I'd already slated that book for another task and I have another author I can use. It's so great that even with all the books I've read I can ..."

I am having the same problem. Luckily my library doesn't have a limit on checked out books, but I need this thing to start already so I can read some of these and turn them back in.

message 41: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments It makes me feel so greedy. Luckily, my library doesn't have a limit on checkouts, only on the number of holds you can have. I'm always hitting my hold limit, especially at the start of a challenge.

message 42: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments My library always feeds off of all the libraries in about seven counties. And we aren't talking just small towns. So there is hardly ever just one of whatever it is I want to check out. That helps with the guilty feelings.

message 43: by Sandy (new)

I just look to see if there are other holds on the book - if there are, I read it as soon as possible and return it. Otherwise, I figure if nobody puts a hold on it, then I'm not keeping it from someone who really wants it!

And my library just reduced the number of allowed holds from 15 to 10 - I keep thinking it's because of me, LOL!

message 44: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7591 comments mine feeds off 15 libraries I think, not including ebooks with are their own entity...they limit those to 6 borrows/6 holds...print books/cd's no limit on holds/borrows

message 45: by Lacy (new)

Lacy (lacy_stewart) | 161 comments I rolled a 4 & 5
Option 4 - Three to Get Deadly
Option 5 - Secrets of a Summer Night

message 46: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Lacy wrote: "I rolled a 4 & 5
Option 4 - Three to Get Deadly
Option 5 - Secrets of a Summer Night"

Those are both fine. Enjoy!

message 47: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) I rolled a 2 and a 4. I thought I'll struggle to find a book for #2 from my shelves, but looks like I have one here. Do these work?

2 - My Education
4 - Can You Keep a Secret?

message 48: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Athira wrote: "I rolled a 2 and a 4. I thought I'll struggle to find a book for #2 from my shelves, but looks like I have one here. Do these work?

2 - My Education
4 - Can You Keep a Secret?"

Both work!

message 49: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Ms Anderson wrote: "Athira wrote: "I rolled a 2 and a 4. I thought I'll struggle to find a book for #2 from my shelves, but looks like I have one here. Do these work?

2 - My Education
4 - Can You Keep a Secret?"

Bot..."

Thanks!

message 50: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1352 comments Would a novella work for option 1 if estimated about 139 pages in e-book format? I am having it checked in e-book verification....just not sure if it would still count here.
The Dex-Files and yes...I discovered the author and series just last month:)

« previous 1