YAholics Anonymous! discussion

Archives > Group A-Z Reading Challenge ~ July 1st

Comments Showing 1-50 of 94 (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Brittany (last edited Jun 15, 2013 02:45PM) (new)

Brittany | 3369 comments Mod
I don't have very many books to read next month, so I figured I'd post a new challenge for us all!

This challenge will be similar to our individual A-Z Reading Challenges, where we try to read a book for each letter of the alphabet.

For the Group A-Z Reading Challenge, though, we'll be working as a group to try and read a book for each letter of the alphabet.

This challenge will begin July 1st. For the next week (June 16-23), entries will be open. To participate, just post your name in this thread!

On June 24th, I'll use Random.org to shuffle our names and give each of us a letter. I'll announce which letter you have here, then you have the rest of the week to figure out which book you'll read for the challenge.

Once you decide which book you'll want to read, be sure to post it on the thread and let me know!

As of now, this challenge will last the entire month of July. However, if we finish early and if you like this challenge, we might have two A-Z Challenges.

*** The rules for this challenge are similar to the individual A-Z Reading Challenge. The letter you have can either appear in the title of the book, or can be the author's first or last name.

***Preferably, you'll want to pick a YA read, but if you have a hard time finding a book to meet the requirements, we'll bend the rules a little to allow other genres.

*** Seeing as this challenge will be fairly long, feel free to read as many books as you can for your letter. Just be sure to post each book you read in this thread so that I can add it to the list.

Example:

Letter R: The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan
Letter R: The Last Hero by Rick Riordan.

Feel free to sign up now! I hope you like this idea; if so, we can do it again!

message 2: by Brittany (last edited Jul 11, 2013 03:40PM) (new)

Reading List

A - Hannelore The Future of Us by Jay Asher
B - Cookie Breaking Beautiful by Jennifer Shaw Wolf,Beyond the Horizon by Kristen Kehoe
C - Lauren City of Bones by Cassandra Clare,City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
D - Brianna
E - Monica&spikey
F - Cassie Fire by Kristin Cashore
G - Eman
H - Brittany (mod) Wake by Amanda Hocking
I - Tatiana Insurgent by Veronica Roth
J - Ali Just Listen by Sarah Dessen
K - Carmen
L - Brittany
M - Turtlefrog My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
N - Mariko InterWorld by Neil Gaiman
O - Oksana Out of Reach by Carrie Arcos, Crossing Over by Anna Kendall
P - Katie Paper Towns by John Green
Q - Kath
R - Kaitlin Rift by Andrea Cremer
S - Fairytale Junkie Skin Deep by Laura Jarratt,
The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong, Speechless by Hannah Harrington, Saving June by Hannah Harrington, Spill Over by Jolene Perry
T - Rajat
U - Story_girl Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan
V - baker Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
W - Hannah
X - Alice
Y - Jessica (goldenfurpro) Dance of Shadows by Yelena Black
Z - Monika The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

message 3: by Brittany (new)

I'll be the first to sign up! :D

message 4: by Brittany (last edited Jun 15, 2013 03:07PM) (new)

Lol, it's all good. I went ahead and signed up, too. ;)

♥♡¢σσкιє♥♡ (Krystle)  (kookiekrysp88) | 71 comments Sounds like fun!

♥♡¢σσкιє♥♡ (Krystle)  (kookiekrysp88) | 71 comments Do I have to do something to sign up?

message 7: by Tati (new)

Tati Ooh, count me in!

But I do have a question/suggestion: each participant will only have to read one book?

message 8: by Brittany (last edited Jun 15, 2013 02:38PM) (new)

@ Cookie: All you have to do is post here. So your good! ^.^

@ Tatiana: For the moment, we'll only be reading one book because we need to keep slots open for any other participants. But if we don't have enough people playing to fill the whole alphabet, would you want more than one letter?

message 9: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin (KaitlinS16) Count me in too. :)

message 10: by Tati (new)

Tati I was thinking more along the lines of reading as many books as you could find for your letter, especially as it is a month-long challenge

message 11: by Carmen ❾¾ (new)

Carmen ❾¾ (happyendinglover) | 240 comments Me too :D

message 12: by Brittany (new)

Tatiana wrote: "I was thinking more along the lines of reading as many books as you could find for your letter, especially as it is a month-long challenge"

I think that would be a great idea, Tatiana! I'll add it to the rules as an option. :)

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 228 comments Mod
Count me in!

message 14: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cannefrye) | 226 comments Mod
YAY! I'm in!

Jessica (Goldenfurpro) (Goldenfurproductions) | 378 comments Mod
I'm in, too!

message 16: by Katie (new)

Katie I'm in :)

message 17: by Fairy (new)

Fairy Tale Junkie (FairytaleJunkie) Sounds fun. Please count me in.

message 18: by Kath (new)

Kath (kath_reads) i'm also in ;)

message 19: by Turtlefrog (new)

Turtlefrog Count me in.

message 20: by Oksana (new)

Oksana  *Bookaholic* (CookieGurl) This sounds pretty good. I'd like to participate.

message 21: by Brittany (new)

Brittany DeLys (brittdelys423) | 19 comments Sounds fun. Count me in.

message 22: by Story_girl (new)

Story_girl | 3 comments I'd like to participate too.

YourFriendlyNeighborhoodSpidey Let's do it!

message 24: by Sephy (new)

Sephy | 4 comments sure I will give it a go!

message 26: by Brittany (new)

Awesome guys! I'm glad there's been so much interest!

Three more people and we'll have the whole alphabet!

message 27: by Monika (new)

Monika Ill participate too!!

message 28: by Mariko (new)

Mariko | 4 comments I'd like to be a part of this as well.

message 29: by Baker (new)

Baker (thewind) | 208 comments I'm in.

message 30: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin (KaitlinS16) We've got the whole alphabet! :)

message 31: by Brittany (new)

Since we had the whole alphabet, I decided to go ahead and post the names of who got which letter a day early! You can see which letter is yours by looking up your name on the second post. :)

To our brave participants Kath (Q), Alice (X), and Monika (Z) - just remember that your letter can be in the title of the book or either the author's first or last name. Also, if you choose to participate in the Group A-Z Challenge again, you won't be saddled with the same letter, so don't fret!

Take the next week to figure out which books you'll read for the challenge. Once you start on a book, be sure to post which one here and I'll add it to your name.

Have fun, guys!

message 32: by Tati (new)

Tati Question: would the name of the series the book belongs to count too?

message 33: by Brittany (new)

Tatiana wrote: "Question: would the name of the series the book belongs to count too?"

Hmm, I think it would be admissible if it were a harder letter. Which series did you have in mind?

message 34: by Mariko (last edited Jun 23, 2013 09:52AM) (new)

Mariko | 4 comments My letter is "N". I will be reading InterWorld by Neil Gaiman. I look forward to the challenge :).
Thanks Brittany for sorting everyone out!

message 35: by Tati (last edited Jun 23, 2013 09:50AM) (new)

Tati Brittany wrote: "Tatiana wrote: "Question: would the name of the series the book belongs to count too?"

Hmm, I think it would be admissible if it were a harder letter. Which series did you have in mind?"

I was thinking of reading the 3rd book in the Ingo series. But that's OK if it's not allowed, as I already have at least 4 books lined up for my letter.

message 36: by Baker (new)

message 37: by Brittany (new)

Tatiana wrote: "Brittany wrote: "Tatiana wrote: "Question: would the name of the series the book belongs to count too?"

Hmm, I think it would be admissible if it were a harder letter. Which series did you have in..."

I think it would be fine, especially since you have more lined up. :)

message 38: by Mariko (new)

Mariko | 4 comments baker wrote: "Under the Never Sky for v!"

The author for that book is Veronica Rossi; good match up!

message 39: by Tati (new)

Tati and the book is great!

message 40: by Baker (new)

Baker (thewind) | 208 comments yea! I'm excited to read it!

message 41: by Sephy (new)

Sephy | 4 comments I've got letter X I've googled it but can't seem to find many books, does anyone have any ideas? x

message 42: by Brittany (last edited Jun 23, 2013 10:17AM) (new)

Alice wrote: "I've got letter X I've googled it but can't seem to find many books, does anyone have any ideas? x"

It is a very hard letter. >.<

If you can't find a good book for it, maybe we can bend the rules to allow main character names. (For example, Xander from Matched.)

message 43: by Mariko (new)

Mariko | 4 comments Alice wrote: "I've got letter X I've googled it but can't seem to find many books, does anyone have any ideas? x"

XVI by Julia Karr

message 44: by Tati (new)

Tati Alice wrote: "I've got letter X I've googled it but can't seem to find many books, does anyone have any ideas? x"

there's the LuX series (OnyX is the second book, too), and The Adoration of Jenna FoX (found those in my iPod ;) )

message 45: by Sephy (new)

Sephy | 4 comments thanks Brittany, I think I might need to do that! and I haven't read that book, in the meantime I will keep looking! x

message 46: by Sephy (new)

Sephy | 4 comments thanks for the suggestions! x

message 47: by Brittany (new)

No problem, Alice. I don't mind bending the rules for the troublesome letters. ;)

message 48: by Katie (new)

Katie For P I'm going to read Paper Towns, and maybe a few more if I have time this month!

message 49: by Brittany (new)

Katie wrote: "For P I'm going to read Paper Towns, and maybe a few more if I have time this month!"

Ooh, that one's a good one, Katie! :)

ali  ᵏᵉᵉᵖ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᵐᵒᵘᵗʰ ˢʰᵘᵗ (time_wont_fly) For J I think I'll read: Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

« previous 1