Rated YA-MA discussion

Fantasy > (Shadow and Bone) The Grisha by Leigh Bardugo (Group Read April 2014)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (last edited Feb 15, 2014 09:48AM) (new)

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) So I'll start. I hope I don't talk to myself for too long.

Something I really like about Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo is that the Heroine doesn’t go from ordinary to super kick ass just overnight. After Alina accidentally uses her power she struggles to even call it again. In the story she is never the best fighter although she gets better and she has to work at her power for a long time before she can even do small things with it. Also the relationship with Mal is sweet/cute sort of like a childhood crush turned more should be. The Darkling, was written well you can see why people are drawn to his power and presence. He is mysterious and keeps an air of superiority about himself. I can see why Alina becomes attracted to him over time. (view spoiler) Although this isn’t an original story it is really well written and does have some interesting twists to it. I definitely like the world that was built the Russian feel of it and the fact there is magic and muskets.

message 3: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments There is no such thing as talking too much in this group. We are very social!

I would love to get back to the first book soon because I loved what I'd read before having to put it aside when a buddy read got stalled. I have to finish out a couple of other fantasy series first.

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) The Witch of Duva. This was not on my radar at all. But I read it today it ended so different than I thought it would. I will say I was surprised. Kind of a creepy story and the bad guys were not who I thought they would be. It was fun to read a folk tale from the Grisha world. Was Karina the woman at the orphanage that ALina and Mal were at?

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) I also didn’t know about the Tailor. I liked seeing inside Geyna’s mind for a section of Smoke and Bone. It made me understand her motivations a little better and I think that overall her character is very likeable. (view spoiler)
Spoiler is for Smoke and Bone only.

message 6: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments I also like that Alina is a reluctant hero. How many people would just accept that they have powers and decide to save the world? Not many. Alina struggles with believing that she can make a difference and with the responsibility of being the one who has to.

I like Mal. He's an ass sometimes, but I adore the connection that he and Alina have growing up together and being there for each other through so much Stuff.

The Darkling is definitely one of the cooler characters I've encountered recently.

I loved The Witch of Duva folk tale. The Too-Clever Fox folk tale went up on tor.com the other day, but I haven't read that one yet.

I also haven't read the Genya POV scene. I'm not in a particular hurry to get to that one, but I'll read it eventually because I do like Genya.

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) Geyna's is short like 17 pages and just from the first book I read it on my break today

message 8: by Ash Wednesday (new)

Ash Wednesday (ashwednesdaylee) | 414 comments Are the other novellas essential reading to the main storyline? I've only read Genya's out of all the novellas, I've been wishing for her POV since the 1st book.

I think what I love most of this series is the pacing's really sharp. Like it doesn't let up, even in the time Alina spent in training when it was I guess a lull from the bigger story arc, the intensity felt unrelenting for me. Though the drama could have been reined in towards the end. I'm not Mal's biggest fan because I'd come to associate him with the high school quarterback who became the whining nobody in college. After S&S I like him a little better but not as much as the "other guy" (I feel when it comes to Mal, I'm always gonna choose the other guy o.O). S&S was amazing, I think its my best read for the year so far (though I do read a lot of contemporaries so the bell curve is a bit skewed o.O)

I'm seeing a pattern here: the Darkling in S&B, Sturmhond in S&S... I need a new yummy for the 3rd book! Though Sturmhond's a tough act to follow I must say, he was the Snarkling in S&S (view spoiler)

message 9: by Hillary (last edited Jun 07, 2013 05:03PM) (new)

Hillary (eledri) | 759 comments Rofl I love it! The Snarkling. Anyway the novellas are not essential but they are free and interesting folk lore.

Damnable auto correct.

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) S&S was good I liked the pacing and the addition growth in it. I was a little disappointed I really wanted Alina and Mal to feel more sure of one another but they were a little insecure. I guess that is understandable as they are both young and were trying to figure out how they fit into the world both scared of who they were and weren't.

Sturmhond was great comic relief. So snarky witty and sure of himself. I could see why (view spoiler)

I have tons of theories already for R&R and by tons I probably really only have 4. But if any of them turn out true I will scream and do a happy dance cuz I guessed it.

Snarkling will be my new favorite work for at least 2 days very nicely put.

message 11: by Robin (new)

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) This is a fun interview with Leigh Bardugo and Veronica Roth author of the Divergent Series (which I very much enjoy too). They each talk about the others books and characters.

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2013/06/04/v...

message 12: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments The novellas have nothing to do really with the trilogy other than being folk stories from the world of Ravka. They'd be like... bedtime stories that Mal and Alina read as kids or something.

message 13: by Robin (new)

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) That is what I liked about the witch of Duval. It seemed like it was going to be like Hansel and Gretel but then it was a completely different story. I think she wanted the reader to sway that way so she could surprise you with who the villain really was. Still need to read the one about the Fox.

message 14: by Ash Wednesday (new)

Ash Wednesday (ashwednesdaylee) | 414 comments Oh gad, I just finished reading Insurgent last week and I was thinking how Roth failed at the new characters while Leigh Bardugo crushed it with the Snarkling. Yup I'm gonna use that name to my heart's content :)

message 15: by Ash Wednesday (new)

Ash Wednesday (ashwednesdaylee) | 414 comments I loved the second book so much, I kinda forgot some of the first book's fuzziness. Because everything was going well for me until Baghra dropped the bomb on Alina. I'm still confused as to (view spoiler)

I'm also unclear (view spoiler)

message 16: by Hillary (new)

Hillary (eledri) | 759 comments Okay (view spoiler)

And as for (view spoiler)

message 17: by Ash Wednesday (new)

Ash Wednesday (ashwednesdaylee) | 414 comments Oh okay,(view spoiler)

I have the feels that (view spoiler)

message 18: by Robin (new)

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) I kind of think that Alina will have to choose (view spoiler)

I think Alina's power (view spoiler)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I just got Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo the other day super excited to start it soon

message 20: by Ash Wednesday (new)

Ash Wednesday (ashwednesdaylee) | 414 comments Robin wrote: "I kind of think that Alina will have to choose [spoilers removed]

I think Alina's power [spoilers removed]"

I thought it was pretty useless too until (view spoiler).

And completely swerving thought, I imagine the creepy priest(?) here looking like Varys in GoT.

Melanie wrote: "I just got Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo the other day super excited to start it soon"

Enjoy, Melanie! :)

message 21: by Hillary (new)

Hillary (eledri) | 759 comments About that... (view spoiler)

message 22: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments Hillary, PLUS PLUS in S&S she (view spoiler)

message 23: by Ash Wednesday (last edited Jun 11, 2013 07:00AM) (new)

Ash Wednesday (ashwednesdaylee) | 414 comments Oh so THAT was your theory, I was wondering what it was :) so (view spoiler) thanks for clearing up all my S&B-related fuzzies, it really got confusing for me towards the end :-)

Edited because I iz not thinking right.

message 24: by Robin (new)

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) Jenny wrote: "Hillary, PLUS PLUS in S&S she [spoilers removed]"

Ah I didn't remember that.

Mal (view spoiler)

Okay done rambling. Many thoughts.

message 25: by Ash Wednesday (new)

Ash Wednesday (ashwednesdaylee) | 414 comments Robin wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Hillary, PLUS PLUS in S&S she [spoilers removed]"

Ah I didn't remember that.

Mal I'm not sure what he is...."

If Mal is (view spoiler). Actually I kinda like Mal as he is. There's a bittersweet quality to his character that makes me want to smack and hug him all at once.

message 26: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments PLUS PLUS (view spoiler)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

arg I finished Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2) by Leigh Bardugo so many questions...so many males!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Has any one read any of the short stories?

message 29: by Ash Wednesday (new)

Ash Wednesday (ashwednesdaylee) | 414 comments I read The Tailor (The Grisha, #1.5) by Leigh Bardugo after S&S because I've been wanting a Genya novella since S&B. It wasn't what I wanted/expected off a Genya book, but still pretty good :)

message 30: by Hillary (new)

Hillary (eledri) | 759 comments I've read them all. They aren't essential but they are interesting folk lore.

message 31: by Stabbing (new)

Stabbing I'm about halfway through the second book that I'm listening to in audiobook format. Where are these short stories found? I couldn't find them on Amazon for sale; did they come in other print books?

message 32: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments They are on Amazon, but you can read them for free on tor.com:
http://www.tor.com/stories/2012/06/th...
http://www.tor.com/stories/2013/06/th...

The Genya POV scene is on scribd.com:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/143207221/T...

message 33: by Stabbing (new)

Stabbing Thank you for the info, I thought they might have been printed in an anthology or something. It didn't occur to me that they would be posted on the web. ;-)

message 34: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments The Witch of Duva is included in the Fierce Reads anthologies, which you can download for free on Kindle.
The Fierce Reads Anthology by Anna Banks The Fierce Reads Anthology Volume 2 by Ann Aguirre

message 35: by Stabbing (new)

Stabbing Jenny wrote: "The Witch of Duva is included in the Fierce Reads anthologies, which you can download for free on Kindle.
The Fierce Reads Anthology by Anna Banks [bookcover:The Fierce Reads Anthology: Volu..."

Oh, sweet! Free is always awesome.

message 36: by Ash Wednesday (new)

Ash Wednesday (ashwednesdaylee) | 414 comments Thanks Jenny! The second volume has Lish McBride too :) Sweet!

message 37: by R.S. (new)

R.S. McCoy (rsmccoy) | 3 comments Personally, I really liked the system in place for these books. There was a hierarchy which had a dress code, language and social rules which I found interesting. It was neat to see an author create a unique system and then have to work inside those parameters.

message 38: by Ash Wednesday (last edited Feb 15, 2014 02:25PM) (new)

Ash Wednesday (ashwednesdaylee) | 414 comments Ruin and Rising has a cover!!!!! And a blurb!!!!!!

Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3) by Leigh Bardugo

(view spoiler)

Dat flying bird on fire... So very looking forward to this one!!!

And I like the bit about putting aside old rivalries (view spoiler) One can hope <3

message 39: by Robin (new)

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) Yeah reg fantasy with a semi-Russian feel to the culture.

message 40: by Ash Wednesday (last edited Feb 15, 2014 02:30PM) (new)

Ash Wednesday (ashwednesdaylee) | 414 comments Spoiler tagged the blurb... Sorry, I just realized O_O each cover features (view spoiler)

Amy! Its the last book! #insertcrazinesshere

message 41: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 867 comments Does it qualify for our april's group reading? i think it's high fantasy but I don't know if it can considered out of our world or not.

message 42: by Hillary (new)

Hillary (eledri) | 759 comments I am in need of a Snarkling and Darkling fix. I may have to reread these. Hm...

message 43: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments It's a high fantasy set in an imaginary world (Ravka).

message 44: by Ash Wednesday (new)

Ash Wednesday (ashwednesdaylee) | 414 comments Alina/Darkling Ruin and Rising snippet. For posterity. And because... Well, Darkling <3

(view spoiler)

#toomuchsquee

message 45: by Isamlq (new)

Isamlq | 612 comments o.O so much WANT.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

So excited :)

message 47: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Our group read is now open.

If you need to talk about any major plot points (minor story details don't need to be tagged), please use this code to put your text inside of a spoiler tag and make a note of whereabouts in the book you're talking about so people know if they've read far enough to be able to click on the tag :

message 48: by La La (new)

La La I just let Leigh Bardugo know that we are doing this group read, via Twitter. Maybe she'll stop in and surprise us.

message 49: by La La (new)

La La She just tweeted that she gets scared when people are discussing her book, but hopes we all enjoy it. If any of you are on twitter I hope you are following her. She is funny and super nice.

message 50: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Aw, I understand that. It's probably easier to avoid conversation as an author.

« previous 1