Start by marking “Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)

Ruin and Rising

(The Shadow and Bone Trilogy #3)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  208,064 ratings  ·  25,419 reviews
Alternative Cover Edition #1

The capital has fallen.

The Darkling rules Ravka from his shadow throne.

Now the nation's fate rests with a broken Sun Summoner, a disgraced tracker, and the shattered remnants of a once-great magical army.

Deep in an ancient network of tunnels and caverns, a weakened Alina must submit to the dubious protection of the Apparat and the zealots
Published June 17th 2014 by Henry Holt and Company

To ask other readers questions about Ruin and Rising, please sign up.
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
gab ☻
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe Blood of Olympus by Rick RiordanThe One by Kiera CassCress by Marissa MeyerDreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor
Can't Wait Books of 2014
2,423 books — 15,914 voters
YA Novels of 2014
1,544 books — 9,160 voters

More lists with this book...

·  208,064 ratings  ·  25,419 reviews

Start your review of Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I AM SO PISSED. I AM SO PISSED.

Please allow me the indulgence of using an extended metaphor to describe this series.

The first book is the first stages of love. It's not true love, but infatuation. You are ensnared by his looks, enamored by everything he does. His quirks are adorable. His faults are overlooked because it's a part of who he is. It's part of what makes him special. So what if he has a habit of scratching his ass in public? It's cute.

The second book is the "settling in" stage of the
Emma Giordano
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
la la la la la tis impossible for me to say anything coherent about the Grisha trilogy because I love it so much. What a wonderful conclusion. I'm so happy I finally continued with this series this year. ...more
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
That was an interesting conclusion to the trilogy. I can't say I'm super satisfied with how things came together, but it was still enjoyable! My main gripe with this series is it's lack of plot. I wanted more from the story, all three books feel like this build up to the ending, but nothing happens during those build up moments. (obviously this is just my opinion, you don't have to agree with me!) ...more
Wendy Darling
They had an ordinary life, full of ordinary things--if love can ever be called that.

Oh, and Leigh Bardugo talked to me about the glorious, glorious food of the Grisha trilogy here during this fairy tale lunch: http://www.themidnightgarden.net/2014...
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Holy shit. This was brilliant and terrible and I have so many feels I can't even begin to describe.

Ok ok, listen. I know there are so many conflicting reviews on this book. But as for me? I literally could not choose how I wanted it to end.

I know, I might be a terrible person but I was totally OK with all three ending scenarios. At the beginning of this book, I was literally rooting for Alina to save the Darkling (or turn dark herself), Alina with Nikolai, and Alina and Mal (though this was my l
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
2 Stars

Overview:

Then he cupped my cheek, his thumb tracing my lip."You are all I've ever wanted," he said. "You are the whole of my heart.”

^My face right now.

Let me preface this roast by stating-- my problem isn’t the love triangle. (If you can even call it that.) I’m not upset things didn’t turn out like I wanted, I’m frustrated the conclusion was a hot mess of nonexistent plot and unwinding character development. (Though I do obviously hate one of the love interests with all of my so
aqsa (villain fucker)
february 2021 update

anyway the shadow & bone trailer kinda slaps why lie 😭 all my darklina besties make some mfing noise 🌘✨ about to get baited and clowned again but oh well

january 2021 update

i caved & am now anticipating the s&b show for no other reason except annoying nostalgia and my love for darklina... (also i love the casting for the darkling & alina? 😭)

anyhow, i’m writing a darklina/alarkling fic if anyone is interested. https://archiveofourown.org/works/283...

____________________________
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”They will starve for you, lay down their lives and their children’s lives for you. They will make war without fear and die rejoicing. There is no greater power than faith, and there will be no greater army than one driven by it.”

Three books and I still hate the Apparat! *lol* Guess that says enough about him and his despicable character. XD Despite everything he unfortunately has a point though. Now that Alina has become Sankta Alina for so many people they think that she’s the answer to all t
Katerina
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
*5 “you might make me a better man” stars*
“I will strip away all that you know, all that you love, until you have no shelter but mine.”

Agony. Pain. Tears. Heartbreak. Acceptance. This is the way the Grisha trilogy ends.

A masterpiece. A gem. Leigh Bardugo gave everything she had in this grand finale. I'm numb and empty inside. I want to sit in silence and contemplate what happened and figure out the reasons why. I came to the conclusion that things were meant to end this way from the
Maria
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.4/5 Stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

“Na razrusha'ya. I am not ruined. E'ya razrushost. I am ruination.”

Look, I ain't gonna lie, I finished this book two weeks ago but hadn't had the time to write a good review about it (fuck you work) so I left it till this moment. And since then, because I'm a fucking goldfish, I don't remember shit. I delve into so many new stories each week, whether they may be tv shows, movies and books (obvs) that my mind is at its full capacity. My mind is 1tb and the fucking info is 5
Elle (ellexamines)
There’s a repeated problem within this novel where the time skips. The first book ends with the leads off to a new adventure. That new adventure is compromised and they are in the same old situation as before the finale less than twenty pages in. The second book ends with the lead characters in a bad situation. They are out of that bad situation less than forty pages into this book. It’s a really weird element and makes this story feel really unpolished.

Now, you might be thinking, Elise, I love
Melanie

1.) Shadow and Bone ★★★★★
2.) Siege and Storm ★★★

This book was a whole lot of ruin and not enough rising.

This review is going to have mild spoilers, especially with information about Shadow and Bone and Siege and Storm, so please proceed with caution if you haven't read this trilogy.

Moral of this story:
If you want the super hot guy you've been fantasizing about for years, make sure you never show that you can be more powerful than him in any aspect of your life.

Mal wanted her powerless and he
Ashley
(view spoiler)["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]> ...more
Chelsea Humphrey
Guys, I had completely forgotten how much this final installment means to me. I feel like I somehow appreciated it even more by listening as a reread; I wasn't worried about what was going to happen and was able to soak up every detail. Ruin and Rising will remain one of the most cherished books I've ever read, and I'm looking forward to finding out if the SoC duology works out as well to reread as audiobooks.

******************

This book was everything. 💔🖤💔🖤💔🖤 I'm so emotional right now *SOBS UN
jessica
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
my original review wasnt much of a review, but more like an expression of awe. and gratefully, i still felt those feelings with this reread. so yes, my rating is very much based in nostalgia and personal bias. but man, this book (and series) is something else.

i understand why reviews for this are mixed. where people saw filler, i read character development. and where others felt an imbalance of plot, i noticed the groundwork laid for character conclusions. so i guess what i am saying is the cha
Miranda Reads
Sep 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
description
FOUR HUNDRED AND THIRTY PAGES? ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME???

UPDATE

whelp, it went about as good as I expected.

One very snarky review to come

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Snapchat @miranda_reads
Kiki
Andreea Pop
REVIEW:

Actual rating: 3.5 Stars

So. I am conflicted. I initially gave Ruin And Rising 4 stars. After like half an hour of deliberating and second-guessing my rating, I switched it to 3 stars. If you'll ask me in a week, I'll probably say it was a 4 star read. So to be honest, I think it's a 3.5 from me. There are several reasons why I did this to the last book of one of my favorite series EVER and I'm gonna complain about every one of them, so if I start writing in CAPS, please understand that I'
C.G. Drews
Read 2 | March 2019

I love rereading books and that onslaught of new and old feels. :') Also I'm so so glad I reread this because heck if I remembered even 15% which would've made King of Scars really awkward. (Also shout out to the fact that Nikolai got CALLED King of Scars in this on!! I wonder if the author planned it right from 2014 when she first wrote this?! We stan a foreshadowing queen.)

I definitely felt different things for this book than the first time. This time (1) I do think Mal/Alin
The Burning Rose (Jess)
Mar 06, 2020 is currently reading it
Ugh... so I stopped reading this book in the middle. Now I don’t know if I should re-read the whole series or just this book...
Demi
Moral of the story: A woman should never show more strength and power than her boyfriend. Ladies, you must give up everything so you can be with your man.

The end.

....

Also, fuck any defense for this ending. The fucking title is "Ruin and Rising", and by naming the book this, Leigh Bardugo completely misled everyone into believing this book would be something its not.

Read this if you like heavily contrived romance that the actual plot suffers for.
 Teodora
Jan 16, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, on-app, ya, owned
my heart: MORE NIKOLAI MORE NIKOLAI MORE NIKOLAI
my brain: and the rest of them too, you need to know what happens
my heart: MORE NIKOLAI!!
my brain:

RTC!
Dorreh
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm like a bubble of explosive happiness right now! That was incredibly perfect I can't really find the proper words!!!

But I'll try to anyways...........

"What two things are infinite? The universe and the greed of men."

This little point emphasized so much throughout this series. I adored every moment I spent reading this series. Although in my own experience I always love the first book in a series the most, because everything is so new and fresh. There is a certain giddiness associated with get
may ➹
can you believe I had the NERVE to actually enjoy this book when I didn’t like the first two books I’m so disappointed in myself
Sofs
Jun 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
Starting 2021 ranting isn’t my goal but I had to lower this to 1 star. 1 star for Darkling and the secondary characters.
sunny
This review is mostly gifs bc I just cannot write proper English words and the only English word that I am able to write is the word "fuck" and there is enough of that if you scroll down.

Mal

Alina

The Plot

The Darkling

The Ending
description

If you don't want a whole fuck migraine, don't scroll down. :))

*eye twitches*
*closes book and stares off into the distance*
*takes a deep breath*
*implodes*

Literally trying not to fucking throw my fucking Ipad across the room. FUCK THIS BULL FUCKING SHIT.

FUCK FUCK FUCK
~Poppy~
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
“You are all I’ve ever wanted,” he said. “You are the whole of my heart.”

“He leaned against the window, and the gilded frame came into sharp focus. “Do you think it would be any different with your tracker beside you? With that Lantsov pup?”
“Yes,” I said simply.
“Because you would be the strong one?”
“Because they’re better men than you.”
“You might make me a better man.”
“And you might make me a monster.”

I really wanted to give 5 stars.I did! But from the beginning of the book until the middle it
TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
THIS SERIES IS BEING TURNED INTO A NETFLIX SERIES AND HOLY SHIT MY EXCITEMENT CAN NOT BE CONTAINED!!!!!!!

description

“Maybe love was superstition, a prayer we said to keep the truth of loneliness at bay."

Why you should read the Grisha trilogy:

1. The Darkling
7. Mal and Alina
8. Mal
9. MAL
10. Malyen Fucking Oretsev

If you haven't gotten it yet, I'm kind of in love with Mal. And I know some people preferred the other heroes
Dulcie
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but a whimper.
T.S. Eliot

What a perfect encapsulation of this miserable conclusion.

I thought I had prepared myself mentally for the worst of scenarios. Even as I prayed desperately for a satisfying ending to my favorite YA series of all time, I readied myself for every possible emotion: For devastation. For despair. For my soul to be raked over the coals until it became a shriveled, blackened thing so that I could never feel happiness again.

I was
She-who-must-not-be-named
Jan 27, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Nikolai single-handedly saved this book from going down the gutter. And Oh my poor Darkling, didn't you find anyone else to obsess over than ALINA? I could've been your princess all along because I would've never rejected you for a guy with a questionable cranial capacity, just saying.

*Excuse me while I go sulk like a lovestruck teenager*

• A ​Court of Silver Flames (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #4)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories (The Folk of the Air, #3.5)
  • A Court of Frost and Starlight (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3.1)
  • A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3)
  • A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2)
  • A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire (Blood and Ash, #2)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • From Blood and Ash (Blood and Ash, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3)
  • Blood & Honey (Serpent & Dove, #2)
  • Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4)
  • Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5)
Leigh Bardugo is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of fantasy novels and the creator of the Grishaverse (coming soon to Netflix) which spans the Shadow and Bone Trilogy, the Six of Crows Duology, The Language of Thorns, and King of Scars— with more to come. Her short stories can be found in multiple anthologies, including the Best American Science Fiction & Fantasy. Her other works include Wo ...more

The Shadow and Bone Trilogy (3 books)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)