Start by marking “The Fierce Reads Anthology: Volume 2” as Want to Read:
The Fierce Reads Anthology: Volume 2

The Fierce Reads Anthology: Volume 2

(The Fierce Reads Anthology #2)

This anthology includes short stories from six fierce young adult authors! Inside, you’ll find a futuristic zombie tale from Ann Aguirre, a science fiction thriller from Gennifer Albin, a nautical mermaid story from Elizabeth Fama, a story full of unicorns from Lish McBride, a postapocalyptic story from Caragh O’Brien, and a paranormal alternate future from Marie ...more
Published December 5th 2012 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Fierce Reads Anthology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fierce Reads Anthology

Start your review of The Fierce Reads Anthology: Volume 2
Yekaterina
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Each story is just long enough to make a decision on whether you would read the novel in it's entirety. There were almost no spelling or grammatical errors. Each story was unique and different. The authors are all very talented and are very good at capturing and entertaining an audience.
The only downfall was that some stories were a bit confusing and left you confused. This is most likely due to the fact that each section was a snippet and it's Impossible to get the whole gist of the story
⋟Kimari⋞
Foundation by Ann Aguirre
The Department of Alterations by Gennifer Albin (set in Crewel universe)
Ruled by Caragh M. O’Brien
Jacks and Queens at the Green Mill by Marie Rutkoski
Beth
It's kind of hard to rate this one. If I rated by the actual short stories, I'd probably give it a four. One of the stories rates a five for me. However, all together, it was a bit of a let down. There were two novel "teasers"--the first two chapters of two different novels. I would have just rather had two other short stories by the author, not a "Preview" of one of their full length novels. The short stories before the previews basically felt like prologues to the full novel, which I guess is ...more
Marissa
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
The second volume of The Fierce Reads Anthology follows a similar pattern to the first, featuring short stories and some previews of full-length novels from Tor authors. It also includes two stories that were in the first volume, but there are plenty of new reads included.

The stories included range from the end of the world as we know it in Aguirre's Foundation to Albin's world of manipulation in The Departments of Alterations, which is accompanied by a preview of Crewel, which sounded
Kirsty Haining
A nice collection of short stories related to the sci-fi fantasy worlds of various teen fiction authors. I was very pleased to get this as a freebie, especially since I'd considered buying one of the short stories on its own.

The volume included stories by Ann Aguirre (related to Enclave and Outpost), Gennifer Albin (a mini-prequel to Crewel), Elizabeth Fama (mermaids), Lish McBride (secondary characters from her Necromancer series), Caragh O’Brien (Birthmarked Trilogy), and Marie Rutkowski
Bex
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
I'm a real fan of anthologies because I'm forever adding books to my collection that I wish I'd had a snapshot into before buying them. Why? Because I knew from page one I hated them. So anthologies are an easy way for me to avoid books, or writing styles, that I can't get on with. Plus, I've found some really great books from YA anthologies so I know they work for me.

This one is no exception. It features some of my favourite authors, but also introduced me to a few new ones. Bonus. It's a
Metaphorosis
Jan 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, 2013-rev

reviews.metaphorosis.com

I like some anthologies, I'm a fan of free, and lately I've found Tor to selecting great work. Plus, I liked the first Fierce Reads anthology, so I opened this up with some pleasure. Unfortunately, this second volume simply didn't live up to its predecessor.

Ann Aguirre's "Foundation" started strong, but petered out, lost in a middleground between a strong story and a longer work. As with others in the book, it suffers from almost certainly being written as an
Rikke
Feb 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: anthologies
3.5 stars - I can't really say if I'll like the anthology as a whole, but based on the stories I've read it could very well be a full 4 stars rating, or it could be a lot lower, so I'm opting for average, but clearly a positive one.

So far I've read 4 of the 8 short stories. And so far I've enjoyed every one of them. I've only read the ones I was expecting to love, though, and I read them before downloading a free kindle edition of this anthology. Doing so anyway, having already purchased the
Lauren
Nov 25, 2015 marked it as to-read
OVERALL:

Foundation by Ann Aguirre - 3 stars

I like that the author provided the reader with information concerning how the Enclaves came to be and exactly what happened to drive the people underground. It was a nice little read.

The Department of Alterations by Gennifer Albin - 4 stars
I loved this little glimpse of how everything happened and the power that was taken away from the people.

Ruled by Caragh M. O'Brien - 3 stars
Did
Christine
Like the first Volume, this volume has short stories followed by teasers (first couple chapters) from the various author's forth coming books. Also the last two stories "The Witch of Duva" (which is GREAT) and "Glitches" appeared in the first volume.

Standouts in this volume for me were "Foundation" a love story set in at the end of the worl. "Departmnent of Alterations" - a more adult than young adult story, very chilling, somewhat like Handmaid's Tale meets Logan's Run.

My favorite, discounting
Karen
The fact that it took me a while to read this has no bearing on the stories contained in this anthology. The stories were all very well done and held my attention when I got into them. Nothing scary here but some strange worlds with inhabitants who survived by any means necessary. Each author gave a glimpse of a future that was either claustrophobic in it's scope, or has an authoritarian bent, but there are always girls in some type of peril it seems.

The main point is that this was a good read
Sandra
This anthology includes the following stories:

Foundation by Ann Aguirre
The Department of Alterations by Gennifer Albin
Ruled by Caragh M. O'Brien
Jacks and Queens at the Green Mill by Marie Rutkoski

And the following bonus stories from Vol. 1:
The Witch of Duva by Leigh Bardugo
Glitches by Marissa Meyer
Ana
I'm glad I read this because it helped me decide to not read certain books I was uncertain about. I really am at a stage where I don't want to waste my time. That being said the only author that caught my attention was Marie Rutkoski so I may give The Shadow Society a shot.
J K
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This gets four stars because I honestly enjoyed every single excerpt given here, and the potential for greater stories from each of them, even as they tell a complete moment or period in time. Really good good collection of thought provoking stories, each one very different from the last.
Michele at A Belle's Tales
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really fun and interesting short reads! Full review on my blog, A Belle's Tales
Patience Perry
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Each story was fun to read! I love these anthologies! I hope they make more!
Stephanie Bolen
Jan 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal, ya
I didn't really get the link between the stories, and why they were compiled together. But I loved some of the stories especially the unicorn one.
Misty Moncrief
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great anthropology to book to find new paranormal series. There were jany keepers in here.
Kris
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Some of these are brilliant, and I added several books to my wishlist after reading. Definitely worth picking up (especially for free, ha).
Tasha Turner
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tasha by: Amazon.com
Some great short stories by new authors. More on each story to follow later
Mary Brebner
May 16, 2014
Temi
Aug 24, 2015
Emmy Nguyen
rated it did not like it
Jan 15, 2015
Aug 19, 2014
Jan 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Mind Hive: A Seattle Sci-Fi Thriller
  • Severed Worlds (Legacy of the Thar'esh Book 3)
  • The Boat of a Million Years
  • The Hereafter
  • City
  • The Salvagers
  • The Ghosts of Asteraceae
  • Max and the Multiverse (Max and the Multiverse #1)
  • Moons of Mitara
  • The City and the Stars
  • Stars of Charon
  • Nightwings
  • Sunshine
  • ROGUE: (A short story set in the Upgrade series universe)
  • Babel-17
  • Gamechanger
  • The Veil (The Veil, #3)
  • Gods, Monsters, and the Lucky Peach
Ann Aguirre is a New York Times & USA Today bestselling author with a degree in English Literature; before she began writing full time, she was a clown, a clerk, a voice actress, and a savior of stray kittens, not necessarily in that order. She grew up in a yellow house across from a cornfield, but now she lives in sunny Mexico with her husband, children, and various pets. She likes all kinds ...more

The Fierce Reads Anthology (2 books)
  • The Fierce Reads Anthology