Horror Aficionados discussion

Movies & Television > Game Of Thrones

Comments Showing 1-50 of 319 (319 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments Seriously! No talk going on about this amazing, devastating show?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I have been waiting three seasons for that scene :)

message 3: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments Kill me.

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark Matthews (xmarkm) | 255 comments I agree. I've been waiting to see that wedding scene forever. It was cool to see it played out, but the scene in my brain was much better. I always imagined it much more grande, much more insidious. Oh, the poor Starks. But that which dies does not always stay dead, but when it comes back, it sure isn't the same.

message 5: by Char (new)

Char  | 13437 comments Mod
I thought it was AWESOME!
What was almost better was watching all the freakouts going on on Facebook. Now THAT was fun! :)

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mark Matthews (xmarkm) | 255 comments Charlene wrote: "I thought it was AWESOME!
What was almost better was watching all the freakouts going on on Facebook. Now THAT was fun! :)"

I know! You would think after season 1 and Ned Stark losing his head, some of it would be expected. I have read the first 3 books, so knew it was coming. Still, it was one of those reading moments were I gasped out loud, so I'm sure it was a shock.

message 7: by Char (new)

Even knowing that it was coming didn't soften the blow for me. It was still totally cringe-worthy. And it was more graphic than I thought it would be. That's really saying something!

message 8: by Mark (new)

Mark Matthews (xmarkm) | 255 comments Charlene wrote: "Even knowing that it was coming didn't soften the blow for me. It was still totally cringe-worthy. And it was more graphic than I thought it would be. That's really saying something!"

Semi-related: I want Ygritte to be more wild. She's too 'pretty' and made up.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I liked the red wedding better in the book too. Although, the acting could not have been better. And I will honestly miss the actors now that it has happened. But I'm very satisfied.
I don't mind that Ygritte is pretty but she should at least act wilder to me. She's too... nice I guess.
My biggest disappointment this season is Jaime. Jaime is one of my favorite characters in this book. He goes through such a character change in the book but I'm not feeling it in the show. Either the writers didn't understand it, or the actor didn't. I like the actor but his accent changes and is too muddled as he does his lines.
I'm very happy there's been more of the Hound though. I hated that in the first season most of his scenes in the book were cut.

message 10: by Mark (new)

Mark Matthews (xmarkm) | 255 comments Traci L. wrote: "I liked the red wedding better in the book too. Although, the acting could not have been better. And I will honestly miss the actors now that it has happened. But I'm very satisfied.
I don't mind ..."

I like how you put it. "pretty" acting and too proper, rather than wild. Maybe more like the scene were Ygritte and Jon first met.

message 11: by Teresa (new)

Teresa B. | 883 comments I have to say ..I'm shocked at how much is exact to the book. I loved the red wedding I was so waiting for it all season. This is the best book of the series and the show is holding up to it!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Now I can't wait for next season and the second half of the book. I'll have to read it again in the meantime.

message 13: by Char (new)

Semi related...the woman who plays Ygritte is actually dating the guy who plays Jon Snow.
She does have a fire about her, doesn't she?

message 14: by Char (new)

Hmm, I thought Jamie's character changed quite nicely. Mostly because my husband hasn't read the books and he commented about how much Jaime had changed.

message 15: by Teresa (new)

Teresa B. | 883 comments I saw the guy who plays john snow at comiccon he looks cuter on t.v..

message 16: by Char (new)

LOL Teresa! Does he really?

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Charlene wrote: "Hmm, I thought Jamie's character changed quite nicely. Mostly because my husband hasn't read the books and he commented about how much Jaime had changed."

I always wonder what nonreaders pick up and don't pick up from the show. Some episodes, like last weeks, I would love to watch with no knowledge of the books.
I think part of my dissatisfaction of certain scenes and characters are because my expectations from reading the books are too high.

message 18: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments I just got and started the first book. I had to. man, it's great. Wish I had read it before. Reading it now I am sad because I know what's to come. Well, most of it anyway.

message 19: by Maxine Marsh (new)

Maxine Marsh | 736 comments No worries Zombette, I too just started the first book. After the last episode, I decided I was missing out! At first I thought it was going to be boring and repetitive but I find myself happy to relive the story with the characters in the book. I'm about 40% of the way through.

message 20: by Mark (new)

Mark Matthews (xmarkm) | 255 comments I thought I was reading along just ahead of the series, which was an incredible way to experience the whole thing, but season 3 of Game of Thrones jumps ahead to things from Book 4. The series is just a great companion to the books.

message 21: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Traci L. wrote: "Charlene wrote: "Hmm, I thought Jamie's character changed quite nicely. Mostly because my husband hasn't read the books and he commented about how much Jaime had changed."

I always wonder what non..."

I'm one of those nonreaders, and I love this series. I had a feeling someone was going to die I just had no idea that it would be taken as far as it was. I just wish the show was longer then a hour.

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (khardman) | 1 comments I haven't read the book in a while, but my recollection is that there was much more action in the book at the infamous Red Wedding, not the wholesale slaughter of Robb and his men. (Not to mention that, in the book, Robb's direwolf was not penned up and easily dispatched.)

Still, I think HBO has been doing a great job of remaining faithful to the author's vision for the most part, so I can't really complain. I'm hoping that the success of the show translates into more adaptations of epic fantasy for television.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope more studios look to adapting from books too. And with Under the Dome and The Terror coming to tv maybe they are.

message 24: by Mark (new)

Mark Matthews (xmarkm) | 255 comments I saw that about The Terror. I hope they do that up right. One of my favorite books.

message 25: by Teresa (new)

Teresa B. | 883 comments Charlene wrote: "LOL Teresa! Does he really?"

Yeah Charlene sort of dissapointing I find him really cute on t.v. he was on a panel and didn't have much to say also..another turn off..didn't seem to have much of a personality

message 26: by Char (new)

Traci L. wrote: "Charlene wrote: "Hmm, I thought Jamie's character changed quite nicely. Mostly because my husband hasn't read the books and he commented about how much Jaime had changed."

I always wonder what non..."

Traci, I wonder if some of it is (well at least with me) the fact that we are farther along than those who haven't read the book(s),and that gives us a bit more insight into the changes of certain characters and we can't help but let that color our views a bit, you know?

message 27: by Char (last edited Jun 05, 2013 08:35AM) (new)

Teresa wrote: "Charlene wrote: "LOL Teresa! Does he really?"

Yeah Charlene sort of dissapointing I find him really cute on t.v. he was on a panel and didn't have much to say also..another turn off..didn't seem t..."

That's a bummer, Teresa. :(
You should have said "You know NOTHING Jon Snow!"

message 28: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments It's about time we had a GoT thread in this group. I think the series has enough horror elements to fit into HA without anyone noticing.

Best wedding ever!

message 29: by Char (new)

LOL It was!

message 30: by Jason (new)

Jason Parent | 741 comments I was asked if the red wedding was less dramatic for me because I read the book. It certainly was, but watching the faces of the people I watch the show with was just as satisfying as it all unfolded. Plus, I was impacted by it when I read it.

message 31: by Char (new)

It was fun watching Facebook blow up too.

message 32: by Mark (new)

Mark Matthews (xmarkm) | 255 comments As we all know, the book allows for things the show doesn't. Martin did a great job of letting you semi-suspect something bad might go down, of course most of this through Catelyn's suspicions. But the scene before King Frey where he verbally abuses and dresses Rob Stark and Jeyne down... that was a powerful lead in.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

It seems the surprise isn't that something happened but what, who, and how. The entire season had been building up the tension for this one moment. Everyone did a great job.

message 34: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments I wish there was time for me to devour these books but I think it may take me forever. I only have a few hours a day to read. I fear I won't be caught up by next season.

Ok, slightly joking.

message 35: by Teresa (new)

Teresa B. | 883 comments zombette..its such a good series but you can read to the 3rd book .. 4th book introduces a bunch of new charactors..

message 36: by Mark (new)

Mark Matthews (xmarkm) | 255 comments Teresa wrote: "zombette..its such a good series but you can read to the 3rd book .. 4th book introduces a bunch of new charactors.."

I've read to the 3rd, but isn't the Theon Greyjoy torturing pulled from book 4 into HBO's season 3? Also, the relationship of Daenerys to the bad-ass, I'll chop your head off dude wasn't in book 3.

message 37: by Teresa (new)

Teresa B. | 883 comments I didn't finish book 4 .. sort of hated it .. so i'm not sure..damn now I don't remember the bad ass guy ..ugg.. i need to reread it

message 38: by Char (last edited Jun 07, 2013 10:44AM) (new)

Mark, Theon's torturing was going on during book 3, just not mentioned until book 4, at which point it is made known that he has been tortured for years.
At least that's how I'm looking at it. :)

message 39: by Mark (new)

Mark Matthews (xmarkm) | 255 comments Teresa wrote: "I didn't finish book 4 .. sort of hated it .. so i'm not sure..damn now I don't remember the bad ass guy ..ugg.. i need to reread it"

The bad ass guy who brought her the two heads while she was in the bath wasn't in book 3. You convinced me not to invest in reading more. Maybe when I retire. They are awesome reads, but suck up all my reading time.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

The show has really messed up my memories of the books. What happens, when, and to who. The books are great. The show is great. But I am very, very confused by now.

I liked the 4th book but one of the biggest problems is it has the least number of characters than the other ones and there are a few fan favorites missing from it. (Characters who have and have not died, so this isn't a spoiler). I haven't read the 5th one yet. I want to reread the other 4 before I do, and I keep putting it off. I'm still trying to get through the Wheel of Time fantasy series too. That one has 14 huge books. I think I need a stop watch that stops time to read everything I want to read in one lifetime.

message 41: by Char (new)

I stopped reading WOT around the 10th or 11th book. It just became too much. I know that he died and someone else took over and brought the series to its end, but I'm not bothering to go back. It's a shame that I bought all of those in hardcover. :(

Regarding GOT, the 4th and 5th books were my least favorites, especially the 4th . I enjoyed the 5th more, but I was not happy with the plot progression. Which is to say, it did NOT.

message 42: by Jason (last edited Jun 07, 2013 01:49PM) (new)

Jason Parent | 741 comments I had read the first four books before the start of Season 3. Theon's torturing in Book 5 is actually corresponding with the TV series, but certain parts (meaning his parts)removed in the series happen before book 5 (the first half of which coincides time-wise with Book 4), so the series is definitely correct that the torture was happening during the events of Book 3. It's a nice (strange word choice) instance where we actually get to see something only referred back to in the books.

message 43: by Mark (new)

Mark Matthews (xmarkm) | 255 comments A more than satisfactory end to the season last night. As for the series and novels in general, I can't help but to paraphrase that great quote and twist it to; "Write your characters so that when they die the world cries and you rejoice for how they lived."

message 44: by Char (new)

Nice, Mark! Quite fitting too. :)

I loved the final scene with Danerys! I thought the way it was filmed was awesome..pulling back with the view from above.
It's going to be a long wait for next March/April.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I was a little disappointed by the finale and the end in particular. I guess they may have wanted to end on a more uplifting (Lol) note than last weeks but it was too happy for me. And they're clearly showing favoritism to Danerys. I was hoping it would end with.. (view spoiler)
Though, very pleased they went for the Robb thing last night.

message 46: by Mark (new)

Mark Matthews (xmarkm) | 255 comments Yes, the whole world is in love with Danerys (but how can they not be, right?) and she seems to have things pretty darn easy these days while everyone else is scrapping by.
It was an engaging and visually stimulating way to end, but her story line in the HBO series seems to play out like a typical fantasy story line, while the rest seem to have been stolen from a combination of Sopranos, Lord of the Rings, and Cormac Mccarthy's The Road.

message 47: by Jason (last edited Jun 10, 2013 08:26AM) (new)

Jason Parent | 741 comments I was actually very disappointed with the series finale. I thought they built up a lot of tension and drama leading into and through the red wedding. Instead of keeping the momentum going, they just fizzled out.

I agree with the favoritism toward Daenarys, who for me, has been kind of boring. She really doesn't do much of anything herself. I thought they could have ended with an attack on the wall, another wedding, maybe even the introduction of a certain Martell - something with more suspense or action to it.

message 48: by Mark (new)

Mark Matthews (xmarkm) | 255 comments I want to be the Godfather for a Tyrion/Daenrys love child. Can't wait for Tyrion to do what he does (he says spoiler-free)

message 49: by Jason (new)

Jason Parent | 741 comments I agree with that, Mark. I guess we at least have tons to look forward to next season!

message 50: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments For anyone who's interested, the Sword & Laser folks here on Goodreads did a video interview with Martin not long ago. Here's a link to it:

http://www.goodreads.com/videos/25908...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7