The Otherworld of Kelley Armstrong discussion

Off topic > What are you reading right now

Comments Showing 1-50 of 172 (172 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

so i'm interested in knowing whats popular and what books you guys are reading.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

i'll start off...

i'm currently reading Magic bites by Ilona Andrews

Magic Bites
so far so good. i'm not really that far along but right nw the only thing interupting me from reading it is Exams. but i do read it every chance i get.
i'll be sure 2 let you guys know if its any good wen i finish it.

has anyone else read it?

message 3: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex I'm reading a fistful of charms right now its kindof slow its for a reading challenge for another group.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

oooo..wow i love that book and the whole of The Hollows series. i've read everybook :D

dnt worry it'll get better. especially bk 6, thats the most hilarious book

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Sarah wrote: "i'll start off...

Magic Bites
so far so good. i'm not really that far along but right nw the only thing interupting me from reading..."

I've read both magic bites, and the sequel, both were amazing. I just bought the third one and as soon as I get a chance I'll be reading that.
Right now I'm reading Dark Lover by J.R. Ward (so far so good) and Kiss of Fire by Deborah Cooke (good beginning, but starting to drag a little).

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 83 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "i'll start off...

so far so good. i'm not really that far along but right now the only thing interupting me from reading..."

I love the Kate Daniels series! I admit that it initially took me a couple of attempts to get into Magic Bites, but once I got through the first 50-75 pages, I was hooked. And Magic Strikes is my favorite release of the year so far. Excellent!

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Shazzy wrote: "Amanda, I have Kiss of Fire sitting in my tbr pile. I hope the story picks up again."

I picked the book up this afternoon, and once I got past the middle (about 50 pages) its back to great.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

i just finished reading Magic Bites by ilona andrew an...WOW.it was great. i'm goin to read the next book now. i hope its better. and i LOVE curran! i dnt know why :D

Mwahahaha - you love him because he's The Beast Lord - and there isn't anything not to love about him. He just keeps getting better. Enjoy ;)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

well i hope that he and kate get together. i know the series aint about romance, but still it would be good. i especially love how the 2 always banter, them havin a relationship may ruin that entertainment 4 us. anywho wat do i know, i havnt even started the 2nd book yet so who knows right.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Ah, I read Magic Bites a couple months ago and have been trying to get to Magic Burns ever since, but other stuff always gets in the way.
But I will read it in May, I swear! I can't wait. In fact, I think I'm going to stop at B&N on the way home and get Magic Strikes as well. I have my nifty little 10% coupon. I'll save 80 whole cents!

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Shazzy wrote: "Nichole, you could use Magic Burns for your monthly challenge. :)"

Actually, I did! I had picked it for April's challenge, actually, but had to switch it with something else because I bit off more than I could chew, but I'm bound and determined to not put it off again.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Just finished reading Magic Burns and it was great! cnt wait 2 start Magic Strikes :D or i mite just read Wondrous Strange by Lesley livingston first. decision decisions...

Well, I only just got Wondrous Strange, and haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I can heap tons of praise on Magic Strikes! ;D

message 15: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Sermeno (twitterpated) | 11 comments Im currently reading Dance Upon The Air by Nora Roberts. I've never read a Nora Roberts book before and I didn't think I was going to like it, but so far its actually pretty good its about witches.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

i finally finished reading Magic Strikes and is was AMAZING. by far my favourite book in the series so far. cant wait for the next book to come out.
:D

hehe, glad you liked it. I thought it was awesome. Made me laugh and made me cry. Definitely one of my favorite books of the year. I'm just gutted we have another year to wait for Kate 4. =/

I read Lover Avenged over the weekend. It was amazing!!! (of course j.r. ward can do no wrong in my eyes) I'm trying to finish up Nightlife, and while it's good, I'm just not in the mood to read it for some reason. I think I'm going to crack open The Awakening tonight instead.

message 19: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Sermeno (twitterpated) | 11 comments Shazzy wrote: "Kelly, I love that trilogy! I'm a big fan of Nora Roberts, she's written quite a few paranormal/supernatural trilogies. "
really? I had no idea she wrote any paranormal type of books. I thought all of her books were the mushy-love story kind. heh, I guess I've been in the dark. I'll have to check out more of her books cuz I like this one alot. Im almost done with it.

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Nora Roberts has some really good paranormals (although they do tend to run more towards the lighter-love story end of the spectrum).
My favorites are the Gallaghers of Ardmore/Irish Trilogy and Donovans.

That's good to hear about the Nora Roberts books. I've got the Morrigan's Cross trilogy and her first JD Robb book - although I have yet to get around to read any of them.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

i finished reading the awakening in a day and it was great. the charecter really started to develop more espacially chloe and derek. really one of the best YA books out there.

i have just started reading Red-Headed Stepchild by jaye wells. i'm not sure about what i think of it yet as i'm only on chapter 3 but hopfully it will get more interesting.

message 23: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex I'm reading darkfever by K M Moning. So far its very good.

Shazzy wrote: "I've nearly finished Thunder Moon by Lori Handeland and i've also started Kiss of a Demon King by Kresley Cole. "

I need to get back to the Nightcreature series. I've enjoyed everything I've read my Lori so far. I've got Doomsday Can Wait to read this month, actually.

message 25: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I loved all of the Nightcreature books, but so far the Doomsday books keep getting pushed down on my to read list. Maybe I'll have to finally read them this month.

LOL, your ever changing picture keeps throwing me, Shazzy.

I read Any Given Doomsday back in December when it was one of the books of the month for the B&N paranormal group. She sat in all month and answered questions and talked about the book, which was cool. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading the next one in the next couple of weeks.

message 27: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex I read the first 3 in the fever series by Karen M Moning. I really liked them and can't wait for dreamfever.

I'm going to a Rachel Caine signing in London next week and had been hoping for an early sneek at Carpe Corpus, but from an e-mail I got today, it doesn't look likely. I'm desperate for that book - that and the next Vampire Academy. ;)

Oh, and maintaining my love of YA, I'm reading City of Bones. I'm enjoying it so far. Finished Wondrous Strange yesterday and was sadly underwhelmed. I know a lot of people loved it but it really just didn't work for me for some reason. Not bad, but not great. I much prefer Melissa Marr's work.

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited May 12, 2009 05:22AM) (new)

DarkHeart wrote: Oh, and maintaining my love of YA, I'm reading City of Bones. I'm enjoying it so far...

I've read all of cassandra clare's Mortal Instruments series and let me tell you, they are all great. each book just gets better and better. Clare really know how to maintain her books to a high standard. and there is also a good development of characters. Hope you enjoy it!

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited May 22, 2009 12:34PM) (new)

Ok, so its been along time since i've read a book which i literally couldnt put down....u kno wat i mean? I started reading Fragile Eternity but its just going too slow for me. it seems to drag on, like nothings getting resolved. So i've moved on and now i'm reading A Rush of Wings by Adrian phoenix, and so far so good :)

Hmm... I'm sory to hear you aren't enjoying Fragile Eternity. Seth and Niall were my favorite characters, so having a book focused on the former, and containing a fair amount of the latter - was all good for me. ;) I absolutely adore A Rush of Wings though, so I look forward to hearing what you think of it.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm guessing the silence and lack of activity in the group is because we've all got our noses stuck in a book.lol.
BTW Once Dead, Twice Shy by kim harrison comes out today. I'm gonna have to wait or get my copy from somewhere else coz I dont think its out in the UK yet...bad times :(

Heh, I'm listening to Bitten on audio and enjoying the narration so far (although Clay never sounds southern in my head - even though I know he should). Also reading C.E. Murphy's Urban Shaman.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

oooh, i loved C.E Murphy's books, the negotiator series. its ashame there are only 3 books.

Shazzy wrote: "Sarah, Once Dead, Twice Shy isn't released un July 1st in the UK. It's so annoying that the UK release dates are later than the US dates. "
I know, thats whhat i hate about living in the UK...we're so behind! oh well, you guys are gonna have to let me know if its any good

message 35: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Too many books, too little time. Now that finals are over I may finally have time to work through the ever growing piles of books cluttering up my room.

I have to say Clay never really sounds Southern in my head either. Maybe it's that the phrasing doesn't match with how I grew up hearing a southern accent.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) DarkHeart wrote: "Heh, I'm listening to Bitten on audio and enjoying the narration so far (although Clay never sounds southern in my head - even though I know he should)."

I never understood why Clay was supposed to sound Southern. He was living as a werewolf in the wilderness all by himself, and Jeremy found him and took him to New York when he was really young. So I don't get why he would have a southern accent, really. I would think if he had had one as a young child it would have faded by now.

I'm reading two books right now and not really loving either of them. I'm struggling through Magic Burns - I'm only able to read a few pages at a time. I'm just finding it really boring, unfortunately.

The other book I'm reading is Stolen, which is okay, but I'm baffled and annoyed by Elena's complete inability to accept the existence of other supernatural races. Come on, really? I can see being surprised by it if she hadn't run into it before, and being like, "Hmm, I wonder why this never occurred to me?"
But even AFTER she's seen about a jillion things to prove it, she's still skeptical. She's just one of the most stubborn characters I've ever read, and it gets really annoying sometimes. Like, do you have to be dense just to be dense, or can you open your mind every once in awhile? I remember feeling that way about her in Bitten as well. I'm struggling with this one a bit as well.

message 37: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Even those of us who live our whole lives in the deep south don't always pick up a southern accent, so I really don't see why Clay would still have one.

You're not the only one who finds Elena's dense attitude as annoying. She seems to put up a resistance to accepting the circumstances around her just to be contrary.

It's explained something along the lines that Clay affects the accent in his constant attempts not to fit in. It results in people underestimating him, thinking he's not intelligent (when he actually has a PHD).

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I've just gotten Prey by Rachel vincent and i cannot WAIT to start reading it!

My copy arrived yesterday and I started it on my lunch break. Can't wait to get home, head out to the garden with a glass of wine and Faythe and Marc. And I read a warning that tissues should be kept on hand, and knowing the sap that I am, I'll need them. =/

message 41: by Mysticalgoddess (new)

Mysticalgoddess I just Finished No Humans Involved By Kelley Armstrong. I really enjoyed that book, and now I really like Jaime, I think she is a great character, even though Clay and Elena are really up there.

Now I am reading The Silence of the Lambs By Thomas Harris. So far pretty creepy!!

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished Prey by Rachel vincent. Now i'm waiting for Destined for an Early Grave by Jeaniene Frost to come out. Cant wait!

message 43: by Lucille (new)

Lucille (lucillexxelias) | 36 comments I'm re-reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, in honour of the movie coming out soon :)
I just finished City of Glass by Cassandra Clare, and Moon Called by Patricia Briggs. I love and adore Mercy Thompson, but as for the City Of series, i was kind of disappointed. Everyone that I talked to loved it so much, and I found it kind of lacking...

message 44: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I tried reading City of Bones. I got bored about halfway through and just couldn't bring myself to finish it.
The Rachel Vincent books are somewhere on my to-read list, but other books keep pushing them further down the list.

I didn't love the first book in the Mortal Instruments trilogy and was left worrying the series had been over-hyped, but I really enjoyed the second two. But of course there are several series/authors that it seems everyone loves that I just couldn't get in to.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

I quite liked the mortal instrument series. its a good YA read

message 47: by Telperaca (new)

Telperaca | 5 comments The Dexter Series by Jeff Linsay.

The books are categorized in the crime section, but they're funny in a dark and twisted way, and the narration is sarcastic and has a new feel to it.

I'm loving the books so far.

I'm reading The Demon's Lexicon as it fulfills both demon and YA catgories for my July challenges. I'm not very far in yet, but it's an interesting premise and has received good reviews.

message 49: by Lucille (last edited Jul 13, 2009 04:15PM) (new)

Lucille (lucillexxelias) | 36 comments I just started reading Stray, and i'm also reading Rises The Night by Colleen Gleason, and yesterday I finished Jessica's Guide To Dating On The Dark Side. So far, Stray is intriguing, Rises The Night is pretty good, but Jessica's Guide was a bit disappointing.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

I think i'm gonna start reading Once Bitten, Twice Shy by Jennifer Rardin. It has some good reviews so hopfully its as good as they say.

« previous 1 3 4