Shrink Rap (Psychology Books) discussion

Members Chat > Introduce Yourself.... if you'd like

Comments Showing 1-50 of 227 (227 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Jonathan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:31AM) (new)

Jonathan Ridenour | 8 comments Thought I'd start a thread to introduce who you are, what you have/are studying, and interests in and out of the field.

message 2: by Selena (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:31AM) (new)

Selena (selenacurrently) well i guess i'll start then, i'm selena and i'm working on finishing my bachelor's degree in clinical psychology. i'm really interested in psychopathy - especially the work done by robert d. hare. i'm also fascinated by schizophrenia. particularly paranoid schizophrenia but i am open to studying all of its types.

outside of that, i really enjoy fiction and books about serial killers. :)

message 3: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:32AM) (new)

Heather | 1 comments I'm Heather, and I'm a Master's Level Mental Health Counselor working as the Assistant Director of a residential program. The folks we serve are those with dual diagnosis, Axis II disorders, etc., who require a short term residential stay post hospitalization. At this point, I am taking a longish break from reading psychology texts for fun, but I have an interest in trauma, experiences of family members of those with serious mental illness, addiction, and I'm looking forward to reading a collection of Jung works I picked up at a used book store.
Outside of the field, I love to read about history and politics and I recently had a major interest in HIV and AIDS, having read "And the Band Played On."

message 4: by Karen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:36AM) (new)

Karen (microcosme) I'm Karen, a lay person. I became very interested in object relations and like to read about it. Some of my favorite authors are J. Reid Meloy, David Celani, Peter Fonagy, Glen Gabbard. I also like photography and photoshop.

message 5: by Lori (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:38AM) (new)

Lori I'm Lori. I work at a residential program for dually diagosed clients. my main interest is in the interplay between mood disorders and drug addiction. I am reading a trauma book now called too scared to cry which is a really good, although hard read. I also really like memoirs. Outside of psych books, I'm really into historical and cultural fiction

message 6: by Brandon (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:43AM) (new)

Brandon | 1 comments I'm Brandon, an internship short of completing my doctorate in clinical psychology. I am working at an adolescent inpatient program in Indiana. Within the field, I enjoy reading classic psych books and books integrating different theories.

message 7: by Jonathan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:44AM) (new)

Jonathan Ridenour | 8 comments I forgot to post here. I'm Jonathan and am on internship at LSU working in a medical setting, both inpatient and out. After this year, I will have my doctorate in psychology. My interest in the field are in assessment and psychotherapy. I am bent towards a psychodynamic/psychoanalytic theoretical orientation. I also enjoy psych and neuropsych assessment. I have mostly worked with adults, but have recently started working with child/adolescents, as well as infants. I enjoy reading psychodynamic authors and am just getting my feet wet in attachment theorist. I like integrative authors who try to bring together the different threads of psychology.

message 8: by Carl (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:00PM) (new)

Carl | 5 comments I suppose this thread's pretty old now, but figured I'd introduce myself as well. I'm a grad student in Norse Mythology, working on my dissertation on some obscure Old Norse poems. I studied folklore with Alan Dundes, the Freudian folklorist, before he died, and ever since have been interested in psychoanalysis (though Dundes was a bit of a dinosaur, I have to admit). I figure I should try branching out a bit into more current treatments of psychoanalysis and psychology, but tend to be a bit too busy with my own studies to do that. I'm particularly interested in Jacques Lacan-- I know he is still popular in the humanities, but get the impression he is not read as much by my therapist friends. I'm told I should learn a thing or two about object-relations theory, so if anyone has recommendations for an introductory book in that area, I'd love to hear about it. I'm also interested in Cognitive Linguistics/Poetics, as well as the existential/hermenuetic phenomenology of Hubert Dreyfus, Merleau-Ponty, and Paul Ricoeur, among others, though I suppose that's getting a bit further from psychology.
My current research is getting into cultural anthropology, art history, ekphrasis, oral theory, etc, so if anyone knows of relevant reading, let me know!

message 9: by Jonathan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:01PM) (new)

Jonathan Ridenour | 8 comments Hey Carl-

Try Scharff Notes: A Primer of Object Relations Therapy.

message 10: by Melinda (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:01PM) (new)

Melinda I would recommend The Primitive Edge of Experience by Thomas Ogden. What would you recommend for reading in cultural anthropology?

message 11: by Carl (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:02PM) (new)

Carl | 5 comments Thanks for the suggestions. As far as cultural anthropology goes, it's been a while since I've read anything purely theoretical in the field-- most of what I've been working with has been specific to my field, such as Margaret Clunies Ross' Prolonged Echoes vol 1 (a multi--disciplinary analysis and interpretation of Old Norse mythology), or William Ian Miller's Bloodtaking and Peacemaking, on bloodfeud in Icelandic society and literature (neither book could really be called strict Cultural Anthro, but it seems to be that they both draw pretty heavily on that field). Jesse Byock does some similar work, though I prefer Miller's approach, as well as Gisli Sigurdsson's, particularly in regard to the treatment of oral history. Oral theory/folklore and mythology have been my other primary stake in the world of cultural anthro-- as far as introductory texts I can recommend some of Alan Dundes' collections-- for example, Sacred Narrative has an early sample analysis of Levi-Strauss, and I do tend to have a strong structuralist slant to my own work. In fact, as far as myth interpretation goes I would strongly recommend Myth: A Very Short Introduction, by Robert Segal. Perfect for the beginner, anyway, and I enjoyed it as a beginning "professional"-- he covers a lot of ground in a short amount of time, and does it well. I've read very little of Edmund Leach, but read an excellent dissertation on the Swedish water being "Nacken" which relied on Leach quite a bit, and loved it-- but the dissertation is in Swedish, and I don't know which of Leach's publications would be best to start with. In terms of oral theory I like Richard Bauman, Charles Briggs, Walter Ong (okay, I'm getting further from strict cultural anthropology now), and on the more philological side of things, John Miles Foley. A good introduction to folklore studies in America would be Brunvand's The Study of American Folklore: An Introduction, or possibly Dundes' book Interpreting Folklore (which I haven't read). Of course, there is always Clifford Geertz's Interpretation of Cultures-- I suppose this could also be called Symbolic Anthropology, but Geertz's thought has certainly been important for us literary types at Berkeley, at least considering his influence on Greenblatt and New Historicism. As a student of Medieval lit, any anthropology I do tends to be caught up in some sort of philology or literary criticism as well. Oh, one last thing-- though I haven't read him myself, Marcel Mauss' analysis of gift exchange is apparently quite important for both Levi-Strauss and Clunies-Ross, and will probably end up coming into my dissertation, if I ever get around to reading him first hand! He's a bit out of date now, so I'd like to figure out what is current as far as "gift-theory" goes. I know Miller touches on that a bit too, but I don't know if he has any purely theoretical work on that.
I hope that helps a bit-- probably a bit tangled, what with my excessive interdisciplinarianism (is that a word?)-- jack of all trades, I guess. What is your interest in Anthropology, Melinda?
one last note-- apparently there is a book called "Social and Cultural Anthropology: The Key Concepts", by Overing and Rapport. Looks good, though I haven't read it yet.

message 12: by Richard (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

Richard | 2 comments Hi everyone,
I've just set up an author profile here. Please take a look to find out why I've joined this group. I look forward to participating in your discussions and promise to post more books and info in due course.
In haste,
R.

message 13: by Martin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:21PM) (new)

Martin Hi everyone

I'm a writer, journalist and teacher, with a new author profile on goodreads. I've been a foreign correspondent and editor for the last 20 years and have recently branched out into fiction, with a suspense thriller inspired by alchemy, riddles, Jung and esoteric religious traditions. I hoped it might be of interest to some of you.
It's not intended to be a run-of-the-mill thriller but rather a genre-busting, fresh reading experience for those who enjoy puzzles, games and a dab of strangeness with their entertainment. Psychologist and counsellor friends have told me it has a very Jungian resonance,which I was delighted to hear. It is called The Malice Box. If you are interested, an article on the origins and sources of the book can be found here: http://www.penguin.co.uk/nf/Author/Au...

I look forward to taking part in the group's discussions whenever I can usefully contribute, and would be glad to talk about The Malice Box if anyone would like to.

Thanks

M

message 14: by Reza (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

Reza | 1 comments Hello all. Just joined the group. I'm finishing up my last quarter at the University of Cincinnati, majoring in Addiction Studies. I'm currently finishing my last quarter of an internship at an Intensive Outpatient Treatment center (IOP). I'm loving it. Can't decide if I'm going for a Master's in nursing or social work.

message 15: by Michelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

Michelle | 4 comments Hello Shrink Rap,
My name is Michelle and I am STILL working on my Ph.D. in Clinical Health Psychology. I got my BA in Psych, my MA in Clinical Psych, and hope to have my Ph.D. within the next two years. My research interests fall within the realm of coping with chronic illness/diseases and the implications of social support. I recently completed a position at a cancer center and am now at the VA.

message 16: by Sallie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:31PM) (new)

Sallie | 1 comments Michell,

Good to hear that a fellow Virginian is going to be doing research in the field of coping with chronic illness. People like myself need people like you in the field. I have an interest in studying psychology but I am chronically ill and do not know if I can handle going back to grad school with all that I deal with on a daily basis. Good for you!

message 17: by Michelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:31PM) (new)

Michelle | 4 comments I appreciate that Sallie.

message 18: by Rosemary (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:45PM) (new)

Rosemary Hello, Shrink Rap,
I'm not a psychologist; however, I'm the mother of a psychology/industrial organization student. Also, I'm a follower of Aldous Huxley's wisdom: "If you want to be a psychological novelist and write about human beings, the best thing you can do is keep a pair of cats." How about a houseful? The history of medicine and psychology is one of my interests, and I found the book WOMEN OF THE ASYLUM especially helpful while writing my newly published novel set in a fictional 19th century asylum (WOMEN OF MAGDALENE). I hope to learn a thing or two more about the workings of the mind by reading your posts. Thanks.
Rosemary

message 19: by Denise (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:54PM) (new)

Denise | 3 comments hi all, my name is denise and i work for a government agency in the area of elder abuse. i am also working on a dual masters degree in counseling psychology and forensic psychology. most of my work history is in the area of violent crime. i'm especially interested in trauma and i am also interested in psychopathology and how it develops, i like to read books about mental illness by authors who have the diagnosis they write about. i also love fiction, especially from the perspective of someone outside the social majority. i am interested in social justice especially as it pertains to migrants and immigrants. i love black and white photography and i read in english, spanish and italian.

message 20: by Denise (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:54PM) (new)

Denise | 3 comments are you confessing that you're a "cat lady" Rosemary? How many do you have?

message 21: by Pandora (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:57PM) (new)

Pandora | 2 comments Hello everyone. I have wanted to enter psychiatry since I was a teenager, but never pursued the dream for various reasons. Now regretting that I never did. :-( I have a keen interest in abnormal psychology, forensic psychology, educational psychology, and neurology and the way in which it interacts with mental illness.

message 22: by Charity (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Charity | 1 comments hey, I'm currently on internship in North Carolina at the VA. I'm finishing my doctorate in clinical psychology. I work with people who've experienced trauma, and I also work with people who have diagnoses of severe mental illness. I think I'm a bit late posting all this, but I just noticed it. (for someone who does what I do, you would think my powers of observation would be a bit stronger).

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I just joined the group and have decided that even though this is an old thread I'd introduce myself. I have an Associates Degree in Human Services and am currently working on my Bachelors in Human Services after a six year break. I have worked in residential settings with the mentally challenged and developmentally disabled. However, I am highly burnt out on that field. I eventually want to work with teenagers. I plan on going on to get my Master's in Clinical Psychology. I have a high interest in Mood and Personality Disorders and love reading memoirs about people with these disorders. I, also, have an interest in true crime books as well especially those about serial killers. Lately, my out of the field interests have been crime dramas, feminism, and chick literature. I'm sure I could go on and on here, but I'll stop while I'm ahead. However, I'm really interested in making new friends.

message 24: by Kelly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:01PM) (new)

Kelly | 4 comments Hi Jennifer,

I just wanted to say hi because we have a lot in common. I love reading the same types of memoirs, my favorite class was one where my professor had dissected the personality disorders of all the psychologists that we had spent so much time studying in other classes. I dig reading about serial killers too. My friend is going to law school and turned me on to some of the craziest web sites if you are interested.

I made a life shift after getting my undergrad in Clinical Psychology though. I was on a similar track as you, only working with teen drug addicts. The shift came when I realized that I could make three times as much money bar tending. It was still dealing with personality disorders, but at least these were adults.

I never did go back into psychology though, I ended up in Marketing and later digital media. I am now half way through my MBA focusing on information systems.

I should get back to work, I have a ton of research to do today.

Have a great day,
Kelly

message 25: by Kelly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:01PM) (new)

Kelly | 4 comments Hi Pandora,
You can always go back to school, it's never too late! Take one class at a time, take online classes if you are not near a university. You can also get into the field by being a volunteer, there are a million groups that need volunteers!! Never say regret!

message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura | 1 comments Hi Shrink Rap, thought I'd introduce myself as well. I just joined a few weeks ago... I am a doctoral candidate in clinical psychology, currently applying for internship. It's been a long, overwhelming process, and I am just looking forward to knowing where I'll be on internship next year! Anyhow, I am psychodynamic, but enjoy reading about psychology from all perspectives. I appreciate any writings that are honest and lack pretension.

I look forward to getting some different perspectives from this group!

message 27: by Geri (new)

Geri (WomanReadingBook) Hi Everyone,

My name is Geri & I have a BS in Psycholoy & Social Work. I currently work at a mental health crisis line which is part of an integrated mental health support network with area hospitals, mental health clinics & Mental Health Professionals, as well as taking calls from the public.

My professional interests in the area of Psychology, Social Work & Mental Health include the mood & anxiety disorders, personality disorders, CBT, Veterans with PTSD, child welfare & foster care, to name but a few.

Some of my personal interests in this field also include: crime victims, psychopathology & criminal justice; biographies & autobiographies of people with mental illness; and history of psychology & the mental health systerm.

I look forward to learning about others in the field, increasing my suggested reading list, & sharing with others my own "good reads".

~Geri~

message 28: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary Geri, your work with PTSD brought to my mind the movie "Behind the Lines" (which I watched a few nights ago). It's based on events during WWI at a hospital where soldiers, including poet Wilfred Owen, were treated for what was then called battle fatigue or shell-shock. The film ends with Owen's poem "Parable of the Old Men and the Young"--just as timely now.

message 29: by Geri (new)

Geri (WomanReadingBook) Thanks for the movie suggestion, Rosemary. I put it on my Netflix queue. I'm also a history buff, especially WWI and WWII, so this works out great.

~Geri~

message 30: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Hello - I'm Kristen, living in Boston, and am currently working in the mental health field. I have an LMHC. Looking forward to staying in the loop on new books and some good reads in the field!

message 31: by Pranjali (new)

Pranjali | 1 comments Hello people...

Im a Cognitive Neuropsychologist studying at Oxford Brookes University, Oxford, UK. Its a great group... keep posting guys...

message 32: by Clare (new)

Clare | 2 comments Hi, I'm working in the field of substance abuse while I finish getting my paperwork into the state to be an LMHC. I plan to go into private practice. I am always interested in books that are interesting and readable about any kind of psychology. I love learning about the human mind and how we turn out to be who we are. I also enjoy current fiction and books on true crime.

message 33: by Jo (new)

Jo | 8 comments I am new to this site and new to this group. I have a Masters in Clinical Social work. I work as a school counselor at a private high school. I have been working with adolescents for what seems like forever. I love it! Currently, I am looking to specialize in self-injury and eating disorders. My dream (goal) is to start an evening private practice that specializes in self-harming behaviors. I do not want to give up my day job though. I am reading anything and everything related to self-injury and eating disorders. I am now at the point where every other book I read is a "pleasure book" because all the constant reading on such disturbing topics was getting to be too much for me.
I love all genres of books except sci-fi and fantasy. I am a terrible writer so if you read one of my reviews I apologize in adavance if it stinks. My current read is To Kill a Mocking Bird.

message 34: by stephanie (new)

stephanie (furies) | 8 comments hi there . . .

i'm stephanie and i have a BA in political science and modern european history. then i got bored being a paralegal, and went back to school for another BA in psych. i started working as a special ed teacher in new york city this past summer, to kind of get some hands on experience in the field before i jump into applying to clinical phd programs.

i'm a weirdo, in that i read books about the holocaust and other genocides in order to relax - i think it's all the work i did as an undergrad, focusing on the conflict war creates between history and memory.

anyway, i have a particular interest in DBT, and co-lead a group once a week, and i adore it. i am definitely NOT psychodynamic (in fact, this is making my search for schools quite difficult since i am being rather stubborn about this) though i enjoy reading books on the topic - mostly nancy mcwilliams, the author of Schopenhauer's Porcupines and plenty of others - i just don't want to practice it! i love behavior therapy too much. beck was my first god in psych, and then came marsha linehan. this past summer i was at the APA convention in SF, and almost died, because i met so many famous people. zimbardo! bandura! linehan! beck! judith beck! mcwilliams! the list goes on . . .

eventually i want to apply DBT to eating disorders - i'm interested to see if it can kind of work in reverse with anorexia (it's already proving quite effective with bulimia). i love reading any sort of memoir related to mental illness, i hate the word "psychopathology", and when i'm not reading psych or history, i'm reading YA books to figure out what to recommend to my kids (and also because some of the best books today are YA), trashy thrillers and NYC-based chick-lit, because i find it completely hilarious.

message 35: by Dorca (new)

Dorca | 1 comments Hi, I'm Dorca. I am finishing my B.A. in psychology. I hope to go on and get my Masters in school psychology.

message 36: by Steve (new)

Steve | 2 comments Hi I'm Steve. I'm a physicist/nuclear engineer. I've always been interested in psychology and psychiatry, ever since I read, "The Origin of Consciousness and the Breakdown of the Bi-Cameral Mind," by Julian Jaynes. I read that when I was a senior in high school, since I was interested in the topic of consciousness, as I was studying 'artificial intelligence.'

I'm also interested in neuropsychology, and neuropsychopharmacology, and autism, and child learning, etc.

Lastly, I'm interested very much in Jung and his works, especially synchronicity and the collective unconscious. Synchronicity somewhat intersects with physics, in a way, as some quantum mechanics theories thing the universe is a hologram, and everything is interconnected. Hence we sometimes see this connectedness as coincidences.

On the lighter side, I once visited Freud's apartment/office in Vienna, which inspired me to read some of his works.

message 37: by Eryn (new)

Eryn (iratedreamer) | 3 comments I know this is an old post, but thought I'd introduce myself now that I've found the awesomeness that is goodreads :) I am a counseling psych masters student at Northwestern U, starting my second internship in July working at a sexual assault center in Chicago. I am especially intrigued by the works of Carl Jung, Yalom, Judith Herman. I have a BA in Psychology, a minor in Women's Studies. I'm interested in trauma, attachment theory, and the fallibility of the DSM-IV's GAF Scale. I'm looking at getting my licensure in Illinois (LCPC) next year... yay!

message 38: by Peter (new)

Peter Gubin | 1 comments Hi Eryn,

I was wondering if in your reading on attachment theory you have come across any statistical analysis pro or con on interrelatedness of adoption and crime. As you will be practicing in Illinois soon I hope you will think about casuality when examining statistical information. I have a funny feeling that the statistics that have shown a relationship between adoption and violence, ie. murder rates has overlooked the prime cause of adoption, poverty. In essence, I believe many women either surrender their children for adoption of have the children taken by the state due to their economic situation. Some of these children do go on to commit crimes, including murders at higher rates than the general population. The media then hypes that "Adoptees Kill", better yet white adoptee males are at risk of being serial killers. The media, in my opinion overlooks the cause of the crimes, seperation from birthfamilies leading to attachment disorder, more specifically an institutionalized process that assures children do not bond with their birthmothers as evidenced by the birthmothers not being allowed to breast feed or imprint with their children. I hope this post has you thinking and presents as information that has been overlooked in your course work. I am an adoptee and an adoption reform advocate. I am also a free search angel for those in the adoption triad, as well as a fan of GoodReads!!!

message 39: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (fuffy_frog) hello, I'm Kristina. I'm a student, studying History. I've been interested in psychology since I accepted the fact that I have ADHD.

message 40: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (hipchicknik) | 1 comments Hi, I'm a School Psychologist and a Doctoral Student. I finished my coursework years ago but can't seem to finish that pesky research ...I'm such a procrastinater. Nevertheless, THIS IS THE YEAR that I get it done... come hell or high water! I love my work and I am always searching for great books and resources related to what I do. Typically, most of the books I buy are non-fiction and psychology related. I frequent the library for my fiction reading pleasure.

message 41: by Lala (new)

Lala (angelinalamicela) | 1 comments I'm Angelina. I am a writer, with a MFA, currently getting my Master's degree in Library & Info Science (with a concentration in archiving). I'll be done with that this December and plan to immediately jump into a PhD program in Sociology. I joined the group because of my interest in advocacy work for clients who have become disillusioned by mental health professionals and the way in which care is administored. Particularly folks who are sexual minorities, people of color, differently abled or folks who gender expression differs greatly from their perceived gender.

I have thought about going into the field because there is such a lack of quality, nuanced care for people outside the "norm". Precious few folks are doing progressive and transgressive work that meets the needs of Transgender folks (namely teens) and there are still so many in the mental health field that pathologize sexual expression, lack cultural competancy or know was going on with people who exist outside their narrow life experience.

Alas, I haven't found any clinical programs in the US anyway that seem transgressive enough for the kind of work I'd like to do with clients, so it's to the policy stocks for me!

message 42: by James (new)

James | 59 comments Hi, folks. I'm Jim. I'm an LMHC, currently working as a contract psychotherapist (individual, couples, and group) at a local agency here in Albuquerque. My grad school program was in counseling psychology and concentrated mainly on family therapy, but I've done more work with addictions and trauma than anything else. I've worked in outpatient, IOP, and residential/hospital situations, mostly with adults and adolescents; my last job before this was in the state prison system's psychiatric hospital - I really liked my colleagues and most of the inmates but couldn't stand the administration and the way people are treated in general. While I was there I started a PTSD group that evolved into a combination PTSD/self-injury group; all the guys we had that cut themselves had severe PTSD anyway. Most of them had been labeled and stigmatized with Axis II diagnoses, and I ended up with them on my individual caseload too because the other staff tended to get frustrated with them and I didn't - I figured that with what they'd been through, the ways they were coping made perfect sense.
I've got three books in print on addictions (I"m listed as a Goodreads author) and am working on another.
This is my second career. I spent 20 years in the Marine Corps, from age 17 to 37, and retired in 1996 to start doing this. I had gone back to school nights and weekends my last few years in uniform and finished up my psych degree while I was on terminal leave.
My other reading interests are politics and history (I fall somewhere around Kucinich on the political spectrum), humor, science fiction, and computers (a lot of my time in the service I worked in computers and telecommunications, and I want to explore creating computer games that teach prosocial skills and values for my grandsons.)
My wife is now working in this field as well as an LMSW, having finished her MSW a bit over a year ago. We live with our very old cat in the same neighborhood as one of my brothers and his wife and my daughter and her two boys.

message 43: by Liz (new)

Liz | 1 comments Hi All!

My name is Liz and I just am getting into Good Reads. I have an Masters in Clinical Social Work and work in a foster care agency in NYC. The main population are children with severe emotional disorders. My interests in trauma, abuse, PDD, and abnormal psych. Outside of that, I am a huge lover of sports (college basketball and baseball especially).

message 44: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (Nicole88) | 3 comments Hi everyone! Just wondering if anyone could help me out?! I'm about to start a degree in Psychology in October & have read a couple of short introductions into Psychology but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a longer, more detailed introduction into Psychology or even a novel type book that will get me motivated & keep me going until I start! Have a degree in Philosophy behind me already but really interested in the whole realm of mental health. Thanks Folks, Nicole from Ireland :)

message 45: by James (new)

James | 59 comments Welcome, Nicole - it's a great field with endless room for diving into whatever specialties interest you most.
Here's a semi-long list of some of my favorite books in this area. Some are out of print, but you should be able to get them through bookfinder.com:
1. Beebe, Philip J: The Codependent Counselor: Guidelines for Self-Assessment and Change (this is useful for avoiding common pitfalls.)
2. Bosco, Monica Ramirez; Thase, Michael E.; and Wright, Jesse H.: Learning Cognitive-Behavior Therapy
3. Callanan, Maggie, and Kelley, Patricia: Final Gifts: Understanding the Special Awareness, Needs, and Communications of the Dying
4. Chase, Truddi: When Rabbit Howls (on Dissociative Identity Disorder, aka multiple personality disorder.)
5. Duncan, Barry L.; Hubble, Mark A.; and Miller, Scott D: Escape From Babel: Toward a Unifying Language for Psychotherapy Practice
6. Gardner, Howard: Frames of Mind: The Theory of Multiple Intelligences (a great book on the varied ways beyond math and English that people are gifted.)
7. Hare, Robert D.: Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us
8. Hesley, Jan G. and John W.: Rent Two Films and Let's Talk in the Morning: Using Popular Movies in Psychotherapy (fun and useful.)
9. Hoffer, Eric: The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements (on fanaticism.)
10. Hunt, Morton: The Story of Psychology (an overview of pioneers and theories.)
11. Jamison, Kay Redfield: An Unquiet Mind (on the experience of the author, a psychiatrist, with her own bipolar disorder.)
12. Koegel, Lynn Kern, and LaZebnik, Claire: Overcoming Autism: Finding the Answers, Strategies, and Hope That Can Transform a Child’s Life (great - Claire is also a Goodreads author, and the mother of a child with autism.)
13. Lane, Robert: A Solitary Dance (an inspiring novel about a new therapist working with a withdrawn and fearful child.)
14. Levine, Peter A.: Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma
15. Linehan, Marsha M: Skills Training Manual for Treating Borderline Personality Disorder
16. Matsakis, Aphrodite: I Can't Get over It: A Handbook for Trauma Survivors
17. McGoldrick, Monica: Genograms in Family Assessment (a very useful tool.)
18. Miller, Scott D., and Berg, Insoo Kim: Working With the Problem Drinker: A Solution-Focused Approach (practical, positive, and refreshing.)
19. Miller, William R., and Rollnick, Stephen: Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People for Change
20. Napier, Nancy J.: Getting Through the Day: Strategies for Adults Hurt As Children
21. Osofsky, Joy D: Children in a Violent Society
22. Pipher, Mary: Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls
23. Radclifff, Anthony: Pharmer's Almanac II (a handy reference on psychoactive chemicals.)
24. Restak, Richard M.: The Mind
25. Shay, Jonathan: Achilles in Vietnam: Combat Trauma and the Undoing of Character
26. Stout, Martha: The Paranoia Switch: How Terror Rewires Our Brains and Reshapes Our Behavior – And How We Can Reclaim Our Courage
27. Stout, Martha: The Sociopath Next Door
28. Tennov, Dorothy: Love and Limerance: The Experience of Being in Love (on infatuation.)
29. Thompson, Tracy: The Beast (on the experience of the author, a journalist, with her own depression.)
30. Yalom, Irvin D: Love’s Executioner (stories about the experiences of the author in his career as a psychiatrist.)
31. Yalom, Irvin D.: The Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy
32. Zimbardo, Philip G.: The Lucifer Effect: Understanding How Good People Turn Evil

message 46: by Héctor (last edited Aug 08, 2008 12:41AM) (new)

Héctor You must read those (is full of surprises):

[image error]

[image error]

[image error]

[image error]

message 47: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (Nicole88) | 3 comments James,
Thanks a mill! Will defo find a few out of that selection!Can't wait to explore the mind, so interesting and challenging! Don't know what I'm interested in specialising in as of yet, but I'll keep you posted on what I'm finding most interesting! Was reading "the man who mistook his wife for a hat" there recently & found it very good but looking for something more scientific and technical. Thanks for your help! :D

message 48: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (Nicole88) | 3 comments Hector,
Will defo try reading Jacques Lacan, heard
wonderful things about his writing. Really looking forward to it! :)

message 49: by Devin (new)

Devin | 2 comments I'm Devin. I'm currently working on getting my bachelor's degree in psychology and want to study criminal psychology in graduate school.

message 50: by James (new)

James | 59 comments Welcome, Devin - it's a great field with all kinds of specialty areas in terms of populations and issues.
What kind of career path do you plan to follow with criminal psychology? A couple of very good books in that area, if you haven't already read them, are The Mask of Sanity by Hervey Cleckley and The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout. I liked the first part of People of the Lie by M. Scott Peck as well, but he went off the deep end
in the latter part of the book and started talking about possession and exorcism.
If you're contemplating working with inmates, I would also recommend learning everything you can about complex PTSD. When I was working in a prison psychiatric hospital, a surprisingly small proportion of the patients fit the criteria for antisocial personality disorder - maybe 15% or 20% - but at least two thirds had PTSD to varying degrees.
Anyway, it's an endlessly absorbing field to work in. Again, welcome.

« previous 1 3 4 5