This is not The Haters Club You're Looking For discussion

That I don't live in New Mexico anymore

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments My avatar depicts my old driveway. It was a dirt road, a half mile long. If you were to walk down said driveway in order to grab the mail, you would likely as not see a semi-feral horse or two, a couple of snakes, some cattle, an ugly jackrabbit, a small herd of fearless deer, or some combination thereof.

I had bonfires in my front yard whenever I got the urge. I walked a mile down the dirt road to a wash when I wanted to do some target practice. I could see the stars at night. I could shoot off fireworks in my yard. I could go several days without ever seeing a neighbor. And I still had excellent internet and cable reception.

Yes, there is a plethora of stores, restaurants, and services within walking distance in my current location, but that's not the point.

message 2: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell I lived in Santa Fe for a year. I hated it for many of the reasons listed in message 1.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Rusty, it's so perfect that you lived there and your name is Rusty.

Servius  Heiner You can find much of that in Alaska, Rusty... without the HEAT! But maybe that is the point, I just don't like the desert regions.

message 5: by Malbadeen (new)

Malbadeen I'd like to see the stars from both places. Once my brother and I drove to Montana from Oregon and somewhere on the way I was almost dizzy from the amount/brightness of the stars. I'd love to experience that again.

message 6: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments I'd like to see the Aurora Borealis.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio (joshuanomenmutatio) I hate that I've never been to "The Land of Enchantment." I love that this is actually the state motto.

message 8: by Joshua Nomen-Mutatio (last edited Apr 03, 2009 10:14AM) (new)

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio (joshuanomenmutatio) Ok, so upon doing a total of 30 seconds of "research" I discovered that the state motto is actually "Crescit eundo" which translates to "It grows as it goes" and that the official state nickname is "The Land of Enchantment." Either way, it sounds enchanting. And the translated motto reminds me a lot of the phrase "grower and not a shower" which just...makes me giggle on the inside. My inner adolescent is pleased.

message 9: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments Ko, I actually lived right around Las Cruces. That was the closest "big town".

Nick, I would love to move to Alaska. The only problem is that my wife does not enjoy temperatures below 60 degrees. And, adressing the heat topic; I lived in the high desert, elevation close to 6,000 feet, so it was rare that the temperature got up to 90. And we even got a little bit of snow in the winter.

message 10: by Donitello (new)

Donitello I adored living in the Pacific Northwest. SO GREEEEEEN.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 04, 2009 08:33AM) (new)

Where did you live, Doni?

You should get a nice snail lamp to remind you over your days in the Pacific NW! ;)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

It wasn't there last time I went, Bunny. I've been checking online, but it's still two hundred bucks. I'm waiting...

message 13: by Donitello (new)

Donitello I lived in Vancouver B.C.

As long as demand remains high for the lamp, so will the price. Stop wanting it, and it will be yours. SO ironic.

message 14: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Snail lamp? Sounds icky...

message 16: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments So sweet. Little snail lamp.