Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Easter Egg Hunt!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 189 (189 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Deborah (last edited Mar 28, 2013 03:08AM) (new)

Deborah Hale | 639 comments Mod
Hi Everyone! We had so much fun with our Easter Egg Hunt last year that we decided to do it again. http://www.goodreads.com/photo/group/...

It will run from tomorrow (March 21st) until March 28th, which two hunts on each of the weekdays. As with last year, you will be hunting for three pieces of information about our featured authors on their websites or other social media. You'll be given an email address where you can send your entries. The next day the authors will do a random draw from among all correct entries for a giveaway.

The featured authors will also be dropping by each day to give hints about their hunt if needed and chat about our Easter preparations and celebrations.

You can find the Easter Egg Hunt for Thursday, March 28th in Message 129.

Posts in this thread go on for several pages. To get to the most recent ones, click where it says "newest" up in the righthand corner, or where it says "next" below the last message.

message 2: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
I can hardly wait! This will be FUN!!!

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments This sounds like a blast! I think I missed last years because I don't remember participating. But I just looked and last year Easter was April 8th which was just about a week before the tax deadline which means I was probably going a little crazy at that time.

message 4: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 963 comments Sounds like fun! I'm in Philadelphia (I live in Oregon) visiting my baby granddaughter so this is something I can do while she naps and such! Look forward to it!

message 5: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments This is lot like the scavenger hunts, I like it. will see all tomorrow...

message 6: by Deborah (last edited Mar 21, 2013 04:02AM) (new)

Kicking off our Easter Egg Hunt this year are Winnie Griggs and Christine Johnson!
Winnie Griggs Christine Johnson

Winnie's Easter Egg hunt is taking place at her website: www.winniegriggs.com
Here are the things you'll be hunting for:

• Winnie's September 2012 release Handpicked Husband kicked off a new 4 book series. What is the series name?
• What are the names of the hero and heroine in the second book of this series, The Bride Next Door.
• What is the name of Winnie's family dog (Hint: check out her Photo page.)

Please don't post your answers on the message board. Send them to Winnie at winnie@winniegriggs.com
One lucky entrant will receive their choice from Winnie's backlist books as well as a book lover brooch!

Christine's hunt is taking place at her website: http://christineelizabethjohnson.com

• What is Christine's Twitter handle?
• When did her grandfather drive from Michigan to Oregon?
• Which of her books won the Laurel Wreath contest in 2012?

Please don't post your answers on the message board. Send them to Christine at author@christineelizabethjohnson.com
One lucky entrant will receive an advance copy of Christine's upcoming May release, The Marriage Barter!

Enjoy the hunt, everyone and drop back here to let us know anything interesting you learned about Winnie and Christine on their websites.
BTW, Congratulations on the Laurel Wreath Contest, Christine!

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine Johnson | 1102 comments Good morning, everyone! I'm excited to be part of the Easter Egg Hunt this year. Last year I was traveling and missed all the fun. I'll pop in throughout the day to say hello and offer some clues if needed.

message 8: by Lyn (new)

Good questions, ladies!

message 9: by Deborah (new)

Being a research geek, I really enjoyed the Behind the Book feature on your website, Christine!

message 10: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Good morning Ladies, this is going to be exciting checking out info on some of my fav authors, thanks for being a part of all the fun...

message 11: by Deborah (new)

I'd love to hear about everyone's Easter traditions. Do you hunt Easter eggs? Do you color real eggs or stick to the candy kind? Does your church have a sunrise service? Are there special foods you have for Easter breakfast or brunch?

message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine Johnson | 1102 comments Deborah, the "Behind the Book" section satisfies the librarian in me. I just had to have a bibliography somewhere!

In the resort where we winter (in Florida), the church has a sunrise service outdoors, overlooking the water. When the sun peeks over the horizon, we blow conch shells to celebrate the risen Lord.

Back home, Easter is usually cold and snowy. My parents hid eggs (the real, hard-boiled and dyed kind) inside the house for us to find. They had to remember where every one was hidden in case we kids couldn't find them all. Just imagine what would happen if one got lost! I remember counting the eggs to make sure we had them all - and many a discussion over which one was missing. By the time the grandkids came along, they hid plastic eggs.

message 13: by Lynsay (new)

Lynsay | 54 comments We don't have any Easter traditions anymore. We used to do Easter with my mother's side of the family, but when my grandmother got diagnosed with liver cancer, it became too much. We used to dye eggs with my grandfather though, and then they'd hide them for all the kids to find. We did a mix of dyed eggs and plastic eggs which were filled with candy/money.

I can also remember going to church in the easter dresses my grandmother made for me. We got new one's each year until we got older.

message 14: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Easter sunrise service is one I love, early morning air and music with sunrise, my fav things for Easter..
as a child Mom hid eggs outdoors all colors and when we came in from church we did our "Hunt" amazing memories from those times.

message 15: by Christina (new)

Christina | 87 comments I miss dying eggs. My kids don't really enjoy that anymore, but they love the baskets.

Every year, since I can remember, my mom has baked an Easter cake with dyed green coconut and malt ball Easter eggs. I have not ever done this with my kids because mom has always done it, but I hope to carry it on with my future grandkids.

message 16: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
Oh, Christina, that takes me back. I remember when my mother used to make molded lamb cakes (you made them in two cast iron forms and then put them together). They were great fun!

Janet Marie Dowell | 153 comments This is SOOOOOOOO FUN!!!

message 18: by Winnie (new)

Winnie Griggs (winniegriggs) | 235 comments Hi everyone. I've been having internet issues this morning so am just now able to pop over here. This IS fun - I've been getting lots of fun answers to my questions already - can't wait to hear from more of you.

As for Easter traditions, we normally dye eggs the Saturday before, and my 4 kids, even as adults, are very inventive and competitive in their approach. But alas, they won't all be able to come home this year. I'm trying not to pout

message 19: by Deborah (new)

But alas, they won't all be able to come home this year.

Sorry to hear that, Winnie! I'll have three out of four of mine at home, for which I'm grateful. My folks will be coming to visit (provided we don't have any more spring snowstorms).

Glad you're having fun Janet Marie - thanks for taking part! I've always loved scavenger hunts, so it's fun to be able to have them in cyberspace. I love to visit Winnie's website - the colors and the header always make me smile.

message 20: by Christine (new)

Christine Johnson | 1102 comments Hi Winnie! Amazing how internet and computer problems crop up at the worst time. We're glad you're back online and enjoying the hunt. So sorry your kids won't be able to visit. I especially miss family on the holidays. Everyone's recollections of Easter traditions are making me quite nostalgic! One of our neighbors used to make the lamb-shaped cake that Janet mentioned. I'd forgotten that until I read her post.

message 21: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 963 comments I enjoyed reading about both of these ladies! That's the best part of these Scavenger Hunts!

message 22: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wfnren) | 15 comments I found Christine's answers, now on to Winnies.

Kimberlyisreading | 64 comments these are so much fun- I thank all the authors participating and love finding new authors!!

message 24: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wfnren) | 15 comments Okay, got Winnie's now. I enjoyed the scavenger hunt.

message 25: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4941 comments how long do we get to answer as I have to go to work shortly and wont have time to do this til this afternoon.
(the post came as I went to bed).

message 26: by Deborah (new)

It's up to each author, Ausjenny, but I suggested some time tomorrow.

message 27: by Deborah (new)

Every year, since I can remember, my mom has baked an Easter cake with dyed green coconut and malt ball Easter eggs. I have not ever done this with my kids because mom has always done it, but I hope to carry it on with my future grandkids.

Sounds yummy, Christina! There was a German lady at our church who used to make stollen to serve with coffee after the service. The year after she moved to another province to live with her daughter, I made one and took it to church, but it didn't taste as good as hers.

message 28: by Winnie (new)

Winnie Griggs (winniegriggs) | 235 comments Mmmmmm - all this talk of special desserts is making my mouth water! It's really tough to be on a diet right now. I may have to cheat when the chocolate rabbits and eggs come out...

message 29: by Deborah (new)

I'm not sure which is worse, Winnie - the run up to Easter or the run up to Hallowe'en!

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments I just sent off my emails! This has been a lot of fun and I can't wait to see what else we get to do.

message 31: by Deborah (last edited Mar 22, 2013 05:38AM) (new)

Our featured authors for today are Janet Tronstad and me Deborah Hale
Janet Tronstad Deborah Hale

Janet's Easter Egg hunt is taking place right here on Goodreads on her Dry Creek Group http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

• A dozen of the members in Janet's Goodreads Dry Creek discussion group are spending a weekend together in May (complete with Reader's Appreciation tea, a Christmas party (yes, christmas), and visiting with a special friend from Australia (the reason the gathering got underway in the first place). What city are we gathering in?
• Almost 190 readers discuss everything in the Dry Creek group. Look over the other members and send Janet the name of someone you know (or would like to know).
• How many Dry Creek books appear on the group's bookshelf (hint -- it's only a portion of the total number of Dry Creek books)?

Please don't post your answers on the message board. Send them to Janet via a Goodreads message (just click on her picture) She would also like you to post a comment on her Dry Creek Easter Egg Hunt discussion.
One lucky entrant will receive a $15 gift certificate to either Barnes & Noble or Amazon (winner's choice).

My hunt is taking place at my Facebook Author page: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorDebora...

• Number of Likes on my page (hopefully it will go up some today :))
• Subject I posted about on March 4th
• Title of one of my “Photo Albums”

Please don't post your answers on the message board. Send them to me at hrwdebhale@aol.com
One lucky entrant will receive an advance copy of my upcoming June release, The Earl's Honorable Intentions and a pendant created by the skilled jewelery crafters at Autism Nova Scotia's "Promise of a Pearl." http://promiseofapearl.com/?page_id=1110

Enjoy the hunt, everyone and drop back here (and to Janet's Dry Creek discussion) to let us know anything interesting you learned about us or tell us about your favorite Easter traditions or memories.

message 32: by Lyn (new)

Christina wrote: "I miss dying eggs. My kids don't really enjoy that anymore, but they love the baskets.

Every year, since I can remember, my mom has baked an Easter cake with dyed green coconut and malt ball East..."

I miss coloring Easter eggs too. It isn't something to be enjoyed alone however.

message 33: by Christine (new)

Christine Johnson | 1102 comments Lyn wrote: "I miss coloring Easter eggs too. It isn't something to be enjoyed alone ..."

So true, Lyn. I tried that one year when a bout of nostalgia hit. Definitely not the same! No fighting over the colors or trying to outdo each other's design, LOL.

message 34: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (mitzi_wanham) | 64 comments I had heard about the orphan train, but never about the matrimony plan.

Winnie's blog is great.iloved the pictures, and her dog is so handsome!

message 35: by Winnie (new)

Winnie Griggs (winniegriggs) | 235 comments Marianne wrote: "...Winnie's blog is great.iloved the pictures, and her dog is so handsome!"

Thanks Marianne! We love Dakota - he was a stray that showed up on one of my husband's pastures and no one claimed him so my kids did.

Today's questions for the hunt sound like a lot of fun! I'll be selecting the names for my winners at noon central time so there's about an hour left for anyone who didn't get around to it yesterday. Will post the names here after I notify the winners!

message 36: by Christine (new)

Christine Johnson | 1102 comments I'll draw the winner at the same time as Winnie, so you all still have a little time for both of yesterday's hunts.

message 37: by Christine (last edited Mar 22, 2013 10:13AM) (new)

Christine Johnson | 1102 comments Congratulations to Carolyn B, who won a pre-release copy of The Marriage Barter! Carolyn, I have already sent you an email.

I couldn't believe how many people got all the answers correct. You all are so smart!

Janet Marie Dowell | 153 comments Congrats Carolyn!

message 39: by CarolynB (new)

CarolynB (carolynlb) | 38 comments Thanks, everybody. I usually don't win anything, so I'm elated!

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments I just finished today's hunt! Thanks so much for organizing this Deborah and Thank you authors for contributing. I am having a blast!

message 41: by Lynsay (new)

Lynsay | 54 comments Congrats Carolyn!!

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments Congrats Carolyn!

message 43: by Winnie (last edited Mar 22, 2013 10:53AM) (new)

Winnie Griggs (winniegriggs) | 235 comments Sorry I'm a little delayed in announcing my winners - got caught up in my writing and lost track of time :).

The first prize winner of the book and broach is Fran and the second prize winner of a book is Nancy! Congratulations ladies and thanks to everyone who sent me responses.

message 44: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Deborah wrote: "Our featured authors for today are Janet Tronstad and me Deborah Hale
Janet Tronstad Deborah Hale

Janet's Easter Egg hunt is taking place right here on Goodreads on he..."

Hi Janet and Deborah. It looks as if this year's "Hunt" is off to a great start. I wasn't able to be here yesterday, we were out of town celebrating my husband's birthday, but I'm reading back through the posts to catch up.

All the talk about dying Easter eggs brings back memories of the wonderful times we had when our children were young. My sisters and I would gather with our families at one of our homes and dye eggs together. Six adults and thirteen children all trying to make the prettiest, most unusual, most comical or otherwise "most" eggs. What fun we had! Alas, the families are scattered coast to coast now. I miss those fun times. Thanks for bringing back the memories with your stories.

message 45: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
Oh, and, I should say that I won't pick a winner until noon my time (Pacific) on Saturday so there's plenty of time to enter for my part of the contest -- Janet Tronstad.

I'm giving away a $15 gift certificate for books (who doesn't like that??) -- either Amazon or Barnes and Noble (your pick).

message 46: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 305 comments This is so much fun! =)
I remember having Easter Egg hunts when I was a child, and I really enjoyed them.

message 47: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (mitzi_wanham) | 64 comments Winnie, that's interesting. We got both our dogs that way.acTually we had 3 show up I about as many months, but since two of them were females, we gave the male away!

message 48: by Winnie (new)

Winnie Griggs (winniegriggs) | 235 comments Marianne wrote: "Winnie, that's interesting. We got both our dogs that way."

Marianne, some of the best dogs we've had have found us rather than the other way around. Unfortunately many folks think the river bottoms area where our pastures make a good dumping ground for unwanted pets. But these poor abandoned dogs have made wonderful family pets and our children loved them dearly

message 49: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4941 comments entered. that was fun.

message 50: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Fran,Nancy and Carolyn B congrats on the first Easter Hunts...
got all the ones today for Deborah and Janet, you gals made that easy on us...
Happy Easter everyone.

« previous 1 3 4