The YA Dystopian Book Club discussion

Discussion > The Worst Book You've Ever Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 190 (190 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) | 564 comments What's the worst book you ever read? Why was it so bad?

message 2: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) | 564 comments The worst book I ever read was The Fall. You can see my review on the book's page. It was terrible!

message 3: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 7 comments I was really close to fainting because I thought you meant The Fall by Camus...

message 4: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) | 564 comments Oh no. This Fall is very unknown. It's just so stupid. Lol

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry to anyone who likes the book, but the worst book I've read this year is Wake by Lisa McMann.

message 6: by Jess (new)

Jess | 14 comments I would have to say hunger or plague by Michael grant, I loved gone but the second and third just didn't compare.

message 7: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) | 564 comments In have to agree. Huger and Plague were my least favourite of the series. My favourites were Gone, Lies and Fear. Hopefully Light will be a great end to the series.

message 8: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan | 46 comments Worst book ever...50 Shades of Grey. I refuse to read the second book and am fine with Ana's miserable ending and happy to leave it there. Since that book, before giving out any one star ratings, I always ask myself "Well, was it 50 Shades bad to deserve this...?"

message 9: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan | 46 comments I loved the first book of Delirium because I was in "everything is going to be ok by the end of the third book" dream world. And the end of the third book drove me aboslutely insane (I won't say anything for those who haven't read it).

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm currently reading Delirium.

message 11: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 434 comments Mod
I don't read many terrible books but the first book I won through Goodreads First Reads was so bad I couldn't finish it. It almost put me off from entering more
(luckily it didn't or I wouldn't have the really good book I'm reading now: If You Die Before I Wake)

message 12: by Annabel ♥ (last edited Mar 31, 2013 07:18AM) (new)

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 3 comments I think the worst book I've read is Tiger's Curse with Evermore as a close second. In Tiger's Curse I absolutely loathed the characters. And in Evermore I absolutely loathed the characters. Soo I guess you would say that characters matter a lot to me in books ^^

message 13: by Madea (new)

Madea (mlbo) 50 Shades of Grey Series. Worst. Hipe. Ever. I read it because everywhere i turned people were reading and talking about it. I'll stick to my vampires, witches, werewolves, zombies, and such.

message 14: by Daniela (new)

Daniela | 2 comments Meaghan wrote: "I loved the first book of Delirium because I was in "everything is going to be ok by the end of the third book" dream world. And the end of the third book drove me aboslutely insane (I won't say an..."

I would have to agree with you...Delirium has to be one of the most frustrating books I've have ever read...

message 15: by Kellie (new)

Kellie Finn | 11 comments I think the worst book I've ever read is Water Wars. I think it was the only book I've ever had to force myself to finish reading. It had a very promising plot but the writing just fell flat.

message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol Wasef (carolwasef) Probably people of sparks city of ember #2
I read it about two years ago but i will never forget how terrrible it was.
Sad cuz the first one was good :(

message 17: by Alison (new)

Alison Morquecho (thebookishcamper) | 525 comments I agree with u meaghan! I love delirium and pandemonium but seriously requiem really disappointed me. So sad because I loved loved loved the first 2 books.

message 18: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 5 comments Meaghan wrote: "Worst book ever...50 Shades of Grey. I refuse to read the second book and am fine with Ana's miserable ending and happy to leave it there. Since that book, before giving out any one star ratings, I..."

Agreed! I got halfway through and gave up on it!

Occasionally people give me a hard-time for being a 31-year who still loves to read young-adult novels. But 50 Shades of Grey is a perfect example of why I'm not exactly drawn to the adult market these days.

message 19: by Sam (new)

Sam (minoy) | 3 comments I read lots of YA... even if I wasn't a mother, teacher and high school librarian I would still read it because I think there is a lot of quality literature in YA. I have always given a book the benefit of the doubt... "Well, it may not have been for me but there is probably someone out there that this book speaks to" Until I tried to read the Clique series. I could not find one redeeming aspect in those books. It distresses me that those books are marketed to impressionable young girls. #smh

message 20: by Russellat5 (new)

Russellat5 | 47 comments I wasn't a huge fan of the book specials. I loved the uglies and pretties book but I couldn't stand specials! Has anyone read those book?

message 21: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Yes, I've read them and Specials was my least favourite too. Extras is much better, if you're thinking of reading it, but it has different characters.

message 22: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan | 46 comments I think my least favorite of the Uglies series was Extras. I just didn't feel like that book was overly necessary.

message 23: by Russellat5 (new)

Russellat5 | 47 comments Me neither! I thought he should have ended with specials. Have you guys read any of his other books?

message 24: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan | 46 comments The Uglies series is all I've read by him.

message 25: by Russellat5 (new)

Russellat5 | 47 comments I've read the leviathan series but I know he has many other books.

message 26: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

I've only read the Uglies series but I own the first book in the Midnighters series which I'll get round to reading at some point.

message 27: by Russellat5 (new)

Russellat5 | 47 comments I was going to read Midnighters but I couldn't fine the book. What are you reading now?

message 28: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

I'm reading Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi and re-reading Harry Potter 5 on the side.

message 29: by Russellat5 (new)

Russellat5 | 47 comments Cool! I love Harry potter! I have re-read the series countless times!

message 30: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Me too! :)

message 31: by Russellat5 (new)

Russellat5 | 47 comments Haha! have you read Divergent?

message 32: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Yes! I loved that book! Has you seen Allegiant's new cover?
Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth

message 33: by Russellat5 (new)

Russellat5 | 47 comments Yah! it looks amazing! I cant wait to read it! I was surprised about the title though. I had expected it to be something like convergant

message 34: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

I was expecting it to be called Convergent too. I think it would have been good to keep the -gent theme instead of having the last one end in -giant. They are similar but not quite the same. Well, at least it was unexpected :)

message 35: by Russellat5 (new)

Russellat5 | 47 comments True! I like how Trish wasn't beautiful. In most books the heroine is either beautiful and doesn't know it or knows it but doesn't care. In this book, she wasn't beautiful but Four ( I refuse to call him tobias) liked her anyway. It was refreshing!

message 36: by James (new)

James (tfbpetals) A Wrinkle in Time I don't know it was just too weird for my liking

message 37: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Ugh, I didn't like that book either. It was really annoying.

message 38: by Russellat5 (new)

Russellat5 | 47 comments I agree it was a little strange. :)

message 39: by Mariann (new)

Mariann (hyperebaaktiivne) The worst book i've read is The Maze Runner. It was so illogical and i didn't enjoy the writers style. :(

message 40: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle The worst book I've read was The Thief. It's horrible...

message 41: by Daniela (new)

Daniela | 429 comments Eva wrote: "A Wrinkle in Time I don't know it was just too weird for my liking"

That title...

message 42: by Joann (new)

Joann (paperbacklass) I really hate to say this for fear of being stoned... but I really didn't like Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie that much at all... It was just so flat to me...

message 43: by Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd) (last edited Jun 18, 2013 07:33PM) (new)

Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd) (goldenfurproductions) Let's see...
I did not like:
Wake (Dream Catcher, #1) by Lisa McMann Marked (House of Night, #1) by P.C. Cast Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy, #1) by Wendy Higgins The Demon Trapper's Daughter (The Demon Trappers #1) by Jana Oliver Evermore (The Immortals, #1) by Alyson Noel

I'm sorry if you liked these books, but they were definitely not for me.

message 44: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments I'm like Joann, I didn't like Matched! I also didn't like Mockingjay or Of Mice and Men- those all annoyed me...

message 45: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

I didn't really like Of Mice and Men either, and after a whole year of studying it at school I like it even less.

message 46: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments Yeah- I did it for school too, but we only spent like a month on it- a month too long in my opinion!

message 47: by Lilac , Moderator (last edited Jun 19, 2013 12:21PM) (new)

Haha, yeah. I wish schools would pick more interesting books. :)
My primary school always read great books with us and it's thanks to that that I discovered some great authors when I was 8-11 including Michael Morpurgo and Cornelia Funke.

message 48: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Hull (kellyvan) | 50 comments I don't want to list the book or the author's name (because I know he/she is an author here on Goodreads), but I did read it this year and for a lot of it, I had to skim through to get to the end. The weirder part was that when I bought it, it had A BUNCH of five star reviews. So frustrating.

message 49: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments Nice- Cornelia Funke's the best!!! Actually the other books I had for school this year were great- we read Twelfth Night, Great Expectations, The Kite Runner, and the Book Thief- some of those are my all time favorites!!!

message 50: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments Kelly wrote: "I don't want to list the book or the author's name (because I know he/she is an author here on Goodreads), but I did read it this year and for a lot of it, I had to skim through to get to the end. ..."

I'm really intrigued as to who this is!!!!

« previous 1 3 4