The YA Dystopian Book Club discussion

Discussion > Let's Chat!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 400 (400 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) | 564 comments For general chat and discussion. How is everyone?

message 2: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments Good thank you :) Anyone want to chat about TV? I'm obsessed lol! Right now my wife and I are watching Downton Abbey, but we're looking forward to Game of Thrones coming back on. What shows does everyone else like?

message 3: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 434 comments Mod
I just like anything on Channel 4 and E4, especially the comedies (Big Bang Theory, 2 Broke Girls, How I Met Your Mother, ect.) and things like Embarrasing Bodies and Supersize vs. Superskinny.

I don't watch A Game of Thrones but have seen a couple of episodes. I might start watching it after I read the book/s. :)

message 4: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments Oh my gosh I love those shows, so funny!!!

message 5: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) | 564 comments St. Paddy's day is coming up soon. How is everyone going to celebrate?

message 6: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Ah yeah, I completely forgot about that. I probably won't celebrate properly. Maybe just wear green or bake green cupcakes. :)

message 7: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) | 564 comments Yummy!

message 8: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) | 564 comments I'm going to watch the parade, of course! And have a great family dinner. :)

message 9: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) | 564 comments Wow! A whole day without goodreads. What was the tech issue?

message 10: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

It was weird not being able to get on all day. I missed Goodreads so much and kept trying to get on every half an hour. :)

No idea what the problem was. Hope it won't happen again.

message 11: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) | 564 comments Yeah, I just realised how addicted I was. Lol

message 12: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Haha, me too.

message 13: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) | 564 comments What do you think of the new iPhone app? Finally! We can view messages. Now, If there was only a way to add a book link to a comment. Lol

message 14: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

I dom't have an iPhone but a few weeks ago I updated my Android app and was delighted that I could view messages and recommendations. It makes so much difference.
I agree that adding a book link to a comment would be really good. :)

message 15: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) | 564 comments Hey everyone, what do you all think of the announcement made yesterday about Goodreads joining Amazon?

message 16: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments Hmm I really don't know what it means. It could be negative or neutral for me, I don't see many positives. As an Indie author, I worry about Amazon scaring off members by being too salesy or restrictive on reviews and such. GRs is awesome because of how flexible it is, hopefully Amazon doesn't screw that up!

message 17: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan | 46 comments I am happy about the idea to automatically track reading progress when reading with the kindle. :)

message 18: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

I'm very worried about it because nothing that's changing has been revealed. At the GR feedback group the GR team are just saying "we don't plan" and "have no intention", not giving us straight answers which makes me feel like they aren't in control anymore. I'm worried that they'll censor or delete negative reviews too, and like David said, be too salesy and encourage all the Indie authors to just promote their books everywhere.

message 19: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments Meaghan wrote: "I am happy about the idea to automatically track reading progress when reading with the kindle. :)"

That would be cool but it alienates the readers who use other ereaders which I don't like. Hopefully all the Nook and Kobo and iPad users don't start moving over to Shelfari!

message 20: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

I think Shelfari is owned by Amazon too, so it won't be much better for them there.

message 21: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan | 46 comments I really hope they won't start deleting or censoring reviews!

message 22: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) | 564 comments Me too

message 23: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments Lilac wrote: "I think Shelfari is owned by Amazon too, so it won't be much better for them there."

Lol really? Omg they're taking over the world!

message 24: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments Lilac wrote: "I think Shelfari is owned by Amazon too, so it won't be much better for them there."

Lol really? Omg they're taking over the world!

message 25: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) | 564 comments So how's everyone doing? Looks like the group is growing fast! How did everyone spend their Easter?

message 26: by Pink (last edited Apr 09, 2013 12:43PM) (new)

Pink Hi Jack. I agree it's nice to see how active this group is and how friendly we have all become in a short space.

My Easter was nice and quiet, 4 days off work, then my son was away in Madrid, just got back from his football holiday late last night and now he's relaxing watching Real Madrid play football on TV, bugging me for a cup of tea while I write this!

message 27: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) | 564 comments OMG! I'm meeting Michael Grant personally on Thursday! And he retweeted my tweet and review of Light! I can't believe it! Ahh! Too much excitement for one day!

message 28: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Are you kidding!! That's so cool! :D

message 29: by Jack (last edited Apr 30, 2013 01:23PM) (new)

Jack (jack_) | 564 comments I know! Here's the story:

I won a competition to meet Michael Grant in the London Eye with 24 other people. Well, I never found any terms and conditions, so I didn't know it was only open to UK residents. Anyway, with a few emails back and forth between Egmont UK and I, we made a compromise.

Michael Grant is coming to Dunlin this Thursday for his UK/Eire tour. Well, because Egmont proposed that I could meet Michael personally in the Gresham Hotel (very fancy!) before his interview and event. OMG! I still can't believe it. And then I can go to his event as well (which was sold out with 160 people!)

Don't believe me, check my twitter account @yabookstop

Ahhhhh! I cant believe I'm actually going to meet one of my favourite authors in person! This is going to make a good blog post! Wooooooooo! I'm so happy. I'm going to go now and try to calm down so I can make a sandwich.

message 30: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Wow, that really is very cool!

Have fun! :)

message 31: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) | 564 comments Thanks! :)

message 32: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments Wowowow! That's awesome man, congrats!!!

message 33: by Juliana (new)

Juliana Riccio (julesriccio) | 19 comments That's awesome! Have fun ^^

message 34: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot David wrote: "Hmm I really don't know what it means. It could be negative or neutral for me, I don't see many positives. As an Indie author, I worry about Amazon scaring off members by being too salesy or restri..."

Totally agree with you David. Amazon are big on sending me email spam at the moment. I hope that trend doesn't spoil goodreads. Mind you, with Amazon running it maybe it won't 'overload' so often...

message 35: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Meaghan wrote: "I really hope they won't start deleting or censoring reviews!"

That would really suck. As far as I'm concerned, these are my reviews that I write and Amazon have no right to mess about with them.

message 36: by Kayla (new)

Kayla De Leon (kayladeleon) WHO HERE WATCHES AWKWARD? lol

message 37: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments chucklesthescot wrote: "David wrote: "Hmm I really don't know what it means. It could be negative or neutral for me, I don't see many positives. As an Indie author, I worry about Amazon scaring off members by being too sa..."

Exactly! Hmm we shall see...

message 38: by roshay (new)

roshay (sadderdaze) hI EVERYONE!!

message 39: by Kayla (new)

Kayla De Leon (kayladeleon) HI THERE!!

message 40: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments Shrishti~Dauntless~Through and Through wrote: "hI EVERYONE!!"

Welcome!!

message 41: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments HI :D

message 42: by Rebecca (last edited Jul 10, 2013 06:45PM) (new)

Rebecca Zeno (becca_zeno54) | 3 comments I feel really stupid asking this question, but I just found out about Dystopian(The word, I've read plenty of Dystopian books) but what Is a decent description of the genre?

My CP says my book is dystopian, but I couldn't agree with her because I didn't know what it was.

Could anyone help me?

Thank you!

message 43: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments To me, it means that something has happened to a world and this leads to a new society- this new society is of course made up of humans (not fantasy characters) and they're essentially functioning in this new world. That's just off the top of my head- so I probably messed up something! :P

message 44: by Camille (new)

Camille (chammille) | 12 comments Amelia wrote: "Dystopian is mostly post-apocalyptic, isn't it?

Like, something (a catastrophe) has happened to the human race (Hunger Games: Floods, Maze Runner: Flares... etc) that drastically lowered their res..."

I couldn't agree with you more!! My goodness.

message 45: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Amelia wrote: "Dyspotias are set in the future (like Utopias) where the human race is actually pretty evolved, technology wise, and so on. However, that's only for the rich people, a meager 10% of the whole of the population."

To be honest that's a bit like what it's like now if you think about it. In some ways dystopian books are a reflection of the present.

message 46: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

But yes, I agree. Also, in a dystopian book, a strict controlling society has formed which can be seen like a utopia for the luckiest people but is really a dystopia which doesn't let people have any freedom.

message 47: by Lilac , Moderator (last edited Jul 14, 2013 01:29PM) (new)

I mean like in terms of countries. Like in the US and UK and many other places everyone has smartphones and computers and everything like that but people who live in India and Africa and parts of China have to live with just the bare essentials and less.

In dystopian books it's just on a smaller scale, and the people with nothing live really near to the people with everything.

message 48: by Kayla (new)

Kayla De Leon (kayladeleon) Lilac, I agree with you. When we went to Europe, everyone had smartphones with them. In the Philippines, which is a third world country, only a few can afford smartphones. The rest had to make do with flip phones, Nokia and cherry mobile.

message 49: by Dalu (new)

Dalu  | 18 comments i'd mean a lot if you'd like and share this picture!! i'm trying to get to meet this band names PARAMORE who mean the world to me!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...

message 50: by roshay (new)

roshay (sadderdaze) ~Shrishti~ wrote: "hI EVERYONE!!"

See! I knew I joined this group...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8