Classics Without All the Class discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > What else are you reading? (January 2013)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 135 (135 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) What books are you bringing in the new year with?

message 2: by Angie Downs (new)

Angie Downs I'll be finishing (finally), A Storm of Swords this month. In addition, I'll be finishing Bog Child, Great Expectations, and The Sisters Brothers.

message 4: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Marie (CrochetQueen8307) Right now I'm reading The Woman in White. I have too many on my tbr list to name ;)

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim Just started The Magic Toyshop by Angela Carter.

message 6: by Karena (last edited Jan 02, 2013 08:04AM) (new)

Karena (karenafagan) I am thoroughly enjoying The Weird Sisters

message 7: by Rose (new)

Rose | 60 comments I am going to finish Anna Karenina and Stories Behind the Best Loved Christmas Songs. And I am continuing to read the Winnie the Pooh Collection to my daughter.

message 8: by Riah (new)

Riah | 12 comments I am currently reading A Lasting Impression by Tamera Alexander and Green by Ted Dekker, although I'm honestly reading Green more.

message 9: by Jeane, Book-tator (last edited Jan 02, 2013 06:27PM) (new)

Jeane (pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments I am reading Womanthology: Heroic STILL! You guys have no idea how massive this book is! Also Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles, Fables, Vol. 2: Animal Farm, andBatman: Noel. I'm listening to The Hobbit and Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir on audio, and I am still trying to finish The Girl with the White Flag: A Spellbinding Account of Love and Courage in Wartime Okinawa. I am hoping to finish all of these at least before school starts up again on the 23rd.

message 10: by Tee (new)

Tee I started the year with Myra Breckinridge by Gore Vidal by Gore Vidal. It was certainly something else. Vidal was definitely playing with censorship.
Now I'm reading The Age Of Innocence, along with the rest of the group.
Then for the rest of the month, I'm not sure. I'll likely dig into Catch-22 by Joseph Heller by Joseph Heller. I also want to dig into my new Jane Austen box set. I've never in my life read one of her works.

message 11: by Rose (new)

Rose | 60 comments Riah wrote: "I am currently reading A Lasting Impression by Tamera Alexander and Green by Ted Dekker, although I'm honestly reading Green more."

I really enjoy Ted Dekker books. I think the last one of his I read was The Boneman's Daughters.

message 12: by Kim (new)

Kim Tanya wrote: "I started the year with Myra Breckinridge by Gore Vidal by Gore Vidal. It was certainly something else. Vidal was definitely playing with censorship.
Now I'm reading The Age Of Innocence, alon..."

I am also digging into all of the Jane Austen books this year!

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccas_books) I'm reading The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3) by J.R.R. Tolkien :)

message 14: by Coco (new)

Coco (cocotheislandgirl) | 2 comments I started The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide, #1) by Douglas Adams last night. Should make for interesting dreams.

message 15: by Lesa (new)

Lesa I'm reading Moscow Rules by Daniel Silva and Tim Gunn's Fashion Bible ... which is actually kind of relevant to the Age of Innocence since it's really a fashion history!

message 16: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) I'm reading A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin awesome

message 17: by Jeane, Book-tator (new)

Jeane (pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "I'm reading A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin awesome"

LOVE IT!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading Pride and Prejudice. :)

message 19: by Riah (new)

Riah | 12 comments Rose wrote: "Riah wrote: "I am currently reading A Lasting Impression by Tamera Alexander and Green by Ted Dekker, although I'm honestly reading Green more."

I really enjoy Ted Dekker books. I think the last o..."

Me too, I've read many of his books!

message 20: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 464 comments Jeane wrote: "Travis of NNY wrote: "I'm reading A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin awesome"

LOVE IT!"

Get ready for pure addiction. This series is awesome. Hope you guys like it enough to continue reading the rest. :)

message 21: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 464 comments I am in the Middle of The Grapes of Wrath at the moment. After I plan to read Wuthering Heights.

message 22: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) Jessica wrote: "Jeane wrote: "Travis of NNY wrote: "I'm reading A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin awesome"

LOVE IT!"

Get ready for pure addiction. This series is awesome. Hope you guys like it enough to contin..."

The guy narrating on audiobook is so perfect of a voice for this. I plan on going straight through the series so it will be easier to keep track of all the characters

message 23: by Margaret (new)

Margaret I'm finishing up Clouds of Witness by Dorothy Sayers. Never been much of a mystery fan but I'm starting to get into the genre thanks to encouragement from friends, and good book recommendations.

message 24: by Olivia (new)

Olivia I just finished the book On Canaan's Side. Now I am listening to The Three Musketeers on audible. :)

message 25: by Dori Nicole (new)

Dori Nicole (missmoptop) | 6 comments So, I started the new year with Wuthering heights by Emily Bronte. Lived it to death and couldn't put it down. Now im in the middle of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith and....ahem.... 50 shades darker which kinda sucks but is so entertaining I have to finish. I did like the first in the series though. Don't judge me.

message 26: by Natasha (last edited Jan 05, 2013 08:57AM) (new)

Natasha (natashareads) So pleased to have found this group. Love Edith Wharton, and read the Life of Pi many years ago and was transported. Just finished Where'd You Go, Bernadette- contemporary fiction that was a lot of fun! Going to break open The Hobbit for the second time later today for a different group read.

message 27: by Elaine (new)

Elaine I'm reading Therese Raquin by Zola, though not enjoying it as much I did Madame Bovary despite the similar themes.

Looking forward to Life of Pi next month.

message 28: by Margaret (last edited Jan 05, 2013 11:13AM) (new)

Margaret Elaine wrote: "I'm reading Therese Raquin by Zola, though not enjoying it as much I did Madame Bovary despite the similar themes."

I love Zola, but I did not like this book at all. L'Assommoir and Germinal are, I think, better representatives of Zola's writings, though neither is at all like Madame Bovary.

message 29: by Kim B (new)

Kim B (kysaibar) Just started The Great Gatsby on audiobook

message 30: by Tiffanie (new)

Tiffanie (rochelle8675) I'm reading Night Circus and The Lords of the Rings right now.

message 31: by W (new)

W (freyjalux) Orlando by Virginia Woolf and The Artist of the Floating by Kazuo Ishiguro :)

message 32: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Tiffanie wrote: "I'm reading Night Circus and The Lords of the Rings right now."

Loved The Night Circus!

message 33: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccas_books) I'm reading The Return of the King and The Great Gatsby

message 34: by Angie Downs (new)

Angie Downs Karena wrote: "Tiffanie wrote: "I'm reading Night Circus and The Lords of the Rings right now."

Loved The Night Circus!"

I loved The Night Circus also! It was so good!

message 35: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Angie wrote: "Karena wrote: "Tiffanie wrote: "I'm reading Night Circus and The Lords of the Rings right now."

Loved The Night Circus!"

I loved The Night Circus also! It was so good!"

I wanted to start it again when I'd finished. Definitely a book I was sad to see end. Especially since the author said it was a standalone. Great imagery in it!

message 36: by Erin (new)

Erin I am reading Pride and Prejudice; I am really enjoying it!

message 37: by Maricarmen (new)

Maricarmen Estrada M I am also reading Ten Years After (from the D'Artagnan Romances) by Alexandre Dumas and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson.
I'm really enjoying both

message 38: by Claudette (new)

Claudette (nonfictions) Maricarmen wrote: "I am also reading Ten Years After (from the D'Artagnan Romances) by Alexandre Dumas and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson.
I'm really enjoying both"

The Millennium trilogy is excellent! The 2nd and 3rd books were my favorite!

message 39: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda I'm reading "The Alienist" by Caleb Carr. A really fascinating read, which is a testament tovthiscauthor because I Generally do not like mysteries. This is really more historical fiction than mystery. It's written in the late 1800s andcdescribes the introduction of criminal profiling to investigations. Really gripping.

I need to finish it so I can get started on "Age of Innocence," but its so good, I don't want to rush it. :)

message 40: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda How many of you read multiple books at a time? From some of the messages above, I suspect I'm in good company.

Coco - I hope you get as much enjoyment out of the Hitchhikers trilogy as I did. Giggled myself silly.

I saw several titles here that are on my To Read list. So many great stories out there, so little time.

message 41: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Angie wrote: "Karena wrote: "Tiffanie wrote: "I'm reading Night Circus and The Lords of the Rings right now."

Loved The Night Circus!"

I loved The Night Circus also! It was so good!"

I've finally requested this from the library, after hearing so many people talk about how good it is! But I really need to get going on Age of Innocence...

message 42: by Danaë (new)

Danaë | 89 comments Rhonda wrote: "I'm reading "The Alienist" by Caleb Carr. A really fascinating read, which is a testament tovthiscauthor because I Generally do not like mysteries. This is really more historical fiction than myste..."

I read that some years back and thought it was quite good. Now I can't remember much of the plot though. I might have to dig it out and read it again!

I always have a few books going at once. I'm about a third of the way through the Age of Innocence, but I keep breaking off to read The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance: A Memoir. I heard the author on the Moth Podcast, very funny lady and book. I'm also greatly enjoying listening to Hexed.

message 43: by Christine (new)

Christine I am currently reading Death Masks by Jim Butcher Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5) by Jim Butcher and have really enjoyed The Dresden Files so far.
I am also reading Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott Bird by Bird Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott which has some great advice on both writing and life in general.

message 44: by Chauncey (new)

Chauncey (chaunceyblade) I am currently pushing through Anna Karenina and The Brothers Karamazov. I do not know how I ended up in the middle of these chunksters at the same time, but I am enjoying it!

message 45: by Shradhanjali (new)

Shradhanjali  Lama | 30 comments Im reading Symposium by Plato and The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli.. Symposium is a party reading...

message 46: by Kerrin (new)

Kerrin I'm reading Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (again). And also Miranda Hart's Is it Just Me. I usually only read one thing at a time, but am switching between the two at the moment depending on my mood. When I'm done with those I will start on one of our group's books ... but I am a slow reader so will probably pick up from Feb onwards ...

message 47: by Michel (new)

Michel Van Goethem | 1 comments I'm reading 'Blithedale Romance' by Hawthorne. I don't know yet how to evaluate it...

message 48: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) Rhonda wrote: "How many of you read multiple books at a time? From some of the messages above, I suspect I'm in good company.

Coco - I hope you get as much enjoyment out of the Hitchhikers trilogy as I did. Gig..."

I do an audiobook and at least one regular book at a time

message 49: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

LaLaLa Laura  (laurabhoffman) I usually read 2-3 books at the same time. I read at least a chapter from each daily. It's great. It mixes things up. They each have their own personality...kind of like having children! haha! :)

message 50: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I am currently reading "A Spot of Bother" by Mark Haddon as well as revisiting The Hobbit.

As for reading multiple books at the same time I am glad I am in good company also. I have friends who tell me I am ridiculous and they don't understand how undo it haha. Because of school I will usually have 4 to 5 books on the go. Usually a mix of academic books and books for entertainment

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.