Start by marking “The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole (Adrian Mole #2)” as Want to Read:
The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole (Adrian Mole #2)

The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole

(Adrian Mole #2)

At sixteen, Adrian Mole's life continues to be nothing but a set of tragic circumstances: His tempestuous relationship with an alluring schoolmate tortures him, while his intellectualism continues to be ignored by the British press. Despite it all he remains as agonizingly funny as ever in this, the second of his diaries.
Published August 19th 2003 by HarperTeen (first published 1984)

Start your review of The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole (Adrian Mole #2)
Ken
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume covers teenage Adrian's thoughts and feelings, this time with more hilarity as the youth now 15 has raging hormones to contend with too!

The majority is set during 1982 with the political landscape the backbone of the entries, Thatchers Britain is entwined through the page.
From the Falklands War and coal miners, while the benefits system also looms large.
Theres even some lighter moments like the World Cup in Spain and the infamous France v Kuwait match being mentioned.

Theres plenty of
Kyra (Blog of a Bookaholic)
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
HAHAHA! So funny! I may have laughed manically several times (in public) and gained worrying looks from observers but I couldn't help it! Seriously, SO FUNNY.
Jana
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anglophile
Oh Adrian. You are every bit as funny at 15-1/2 as you were at 13-3/4.

Here are just a few samples of Adrian's diary:

Sunday May 9th
Mother's Day (USA & Canada)
I have just realized that I have never seen a dead body or a real female nipple. This is what comes of living in a cul-de-sac.

Friday August 6th
Sent Pandora a postcard:
Dear Pan,
The sun came out on Wednesday, but it didn't reach into the black despair caused by our separation. It is a cultural desert here.
Thank God I have brought my Nevile Sh
From BBC radio 4 - Book at Bedtime:
The second book in the exquisitely funny Adrian Mole series by Sue Townsend, one of our most celebrated comic writers. Read by Harry McEntire.

Adrian continues to battle valiantly against the slings and arrows of growing up and his own family's attempts to scar him for life. Following on from The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole aged 13 3/4, it is now 1982 and Adrian is 15.

Adrian's parents are back together and his mother is pregnant, much to Adrian's surprise and em
SheAintGotNoShoes
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A+++++++++++
Laugh out loud funny !
Sophie Crane
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Sue Townsend's inimitable character, Adrian Mole, again provided me with much amusement. This is his diary circa 1982, 1983. It's wonderful to see the early nineteen eighties through the angst ridden eyes of the neglected tortured soul that is the eponymous Adrian. Okay so, he is not in actuality "a tortured soul", but Sue Townsend's brilliant portrayal of Adrian Mole's overreactions, mixed in with his literary intellect, innocence, inexplicable recesses in knowledge, and accidental humour make ...more
Anna Janelle
Jul 14, 2012 rated it liked it
But, I actually want to give this book 3.75 stars without rounding it up to four - so three it is.

So, Adrian Mole, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways, but quickly because my laptop is dying and I can't muster the energy to go upstairs and get my charger. Yes, it has come to this. I'm THAT wiped out tonight.

1. You are hysterical. Flat out awkward, whiny, obnoxious, pretension and endearing.
2. Your family-situation is completely effed. I love that your parents show disdain for you. I love
Achab_
Jul 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english
Fun fun fun. Looking forward to the weekend next book! :-)
Beck
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This just popped up and I definatley read this as a young teenager
Claire
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 stars ok !
Such a shame this great author has departed this world. Still she lives on !
Graceann
Apr 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sue Townsend Fans, Fans of British Humor
Shelves: humor
Please see my detailed review at Amazon Graceann's "Growing Pains of Adrian Mole" Review"

Second entry in the hilarious Adrian Mole series. He's coming up on age 16 now, and still as angst-ridden as he was in the first book. This is so accurate. I'm not SO far away from my own teen years that I'm not able to recognize the behavior as my own at that time. Very witty and all the more surprising as it comes from an adult woman writing about the feelings of a teenage boy. Genius. My only caveat is th
Agnė
Adrian Mole grew on me. I cannot describe this book (and the series in general) more perfectly than New York Times did: The Adrian Mole Diaries is "as sad and devastating as it is laugh-out-loud funny!"

Oh, and I LOVE the audiobook narration by Nicholas Barnes!
Phil Altimas
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mole
another great ready, again very funny and easy to read
i think we can all see some of our younger selves in adrian
Liz
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kiddo, re-read, fiction
Saw this in a used book store and just had to buy it, especially as it had the same cover as our original childhood version! Man, what is there not to love about Adrian Mole? Reading it as an adult I was definitely better equipped to understand all the jokes. It's also a really interesting look at 1980's England, definitely not something that interested me as a young'un. Poor Adrian and his struggles to be a literary intellectual.... too funny. I can't wait until enough years pass so that I can ...more
Sander
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
16FlynnJ
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Esther
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even after what, 30+ years, after first reading this, I could remember pretty much every word. Must have read this endless times back in the day. It is still so so funny. Found in a second hand bookstore in Seattle and it had to leave with me. I could not stop reading it in the store. Broke my no-buy rule. Necessary!
Alex
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Just as wonderful as the first. Actually made me laugh out loud at seceral points, which is something not many books manage to do.
17greenwooda197
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Like the 1st book I found this quite funny and I liked the way the story moves forward
Martine Delannoy
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
back to youth, a nice surprise by "Blind Date with a Book" from my local book store.
Steve Mitchell
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the first two books of Adrian Mole’s diary back in the mid eighties when I was a similar age to the title character and I remember loving them. That love has not really diminished now that I’m pushing 50, but I still don’t understand why I never continued to read the rest of the books. This is something that I will rectify in the future.
Phil
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
See my notes on "The Secret Diary". More of the same, just as funny, with a subtle modification of tone as Adrian matures - after his fashion!
Juwi
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
THIS BOOK IS HILARIOUS!!!

so adrian mole is back again..the intellectual trying to decide whether he should or shouldn't do is 'o levels' and how he feels about his mum being pregnant (HE DID NOT REALISE UNTIL SHE ACTUALLY SAID I AM PREGNANT OMG)

his observations are the best. his comments on politics and oh his poetry that he sends to the BBC...he is just absolutely hilarious.

his on and off relationship with the pretentious snob pandora and omg BERT BAXTER AND QUEENIE. =(

if you enjoyed the firs
Redfox5
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, england, humor, teens
I've had this book such a long time, the pages are falling out, at some point I've spilt tea all over it and those pages are all stained. It gives off a well read look about it. I don't think I'll be able to pass this book on. It shall have to stay with me for it's own saftey.

I'd forgotten just how funny Adrian Mole was. I read the rest of the series a year or so ago but there was a gap where I'd misplaced this one. Adrian is best as a teenager, he becomes annoying as he turns into an adult. I
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, re-read
There are very few books that can really make me laugh out loud but Adrian Mole does it every time. This is a re-read but I originally read it before my days on Goodreads since there is no review here. I honestly think Adrian is one of the greatest characters ever created and his early diaries are particularly funny because he is just so naive yet thinks of himself as the most intellectual 15 year old that ever lived. I can't give Adrian any less than 5 stars. Perhaps this book is flawed but I'm ...more
Puja
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
Painfully funny, 'The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole' will elicit loud guffaws from you, a feat not many funny books can do. The author Sue Townsend presents an adolescent's life full of tragic comedies with delightful, dark, and dry humor. Her wit flows effortlessly through a fifteen year old's diary. While the comedy is master class, the book also provides a wonderful snapshot of life in the 80s. Adrain's diary gives us a good peek into a youngster's mind and how it views and reacts to the adult ...more
16LaileyJ
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
16clarkel
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
the genre of the book is comedy and this is the second book of the trilogy. i loved reading it as it shows the struggles of a teenage boy in school which with some things, everyone can relate to. The book never gets boring and is very enjoyable to read. The ending was good as it is left at a good point but you still do want to read more.
Peter Pinkney
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Stuck at work on twelve hour nights, this is the perfect antidote to them. Must be about the fifth time I've read this book. Still hilarious and full of wise wisdom. Sue Townsend takes a scalpel to cut open our rotten society. Funny, serious, and full of pathos.
How To Choose The Ideal Skin Clinic? 1 2 Feb 21, 2018 03:27AM

• True Confessions Of Adrian Albert Mole
  • The Last Testament: A Memoir by God
  • Alexei Sayle's Imaginary Sandwich Bar: Based on the Hilarious BBC Radio 4 Series
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Original Albums: Two full-cast audio dramatisations
  • Пикник на обочине. Отель «У погибшего альпиниста». Улитка на склоне
  • The Deeper Meaning of Liff
  • János vitéz
  • Iphigenia in Splott
  • Spijt
  • Dragon Ball Super, tomo 9
  • Sir Michael Caine: The Biography
  • Labrador: The Story of the World’s Favourite Dog
  • Locker 13 (The Nightmare Room, #2)
  • Real Crime
  • Letters from Leaders: Personal Advice For Tomorrow's Leaders From The World's Most Influential People
  • Letters to Aly
  • Ten Things My Father Never Taught Me and Other Stories
  • Kappa Quartet

Susan Lillian "Sue" Townsend is a British novelist, best known as the author of the Adrian Mole series of books. Her writing tends to combine comedy with social commentary, though she has written purely dramatic works as well. She suffered from diabetes for many years, as a

Adrian Mole (8 books)
  • The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4  (Adrian Mole, #1)
  • True Confessions of Adrian Albert Mole, Margaret Hilda Roberts and Susan Lilian Townsend
  • Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years (Adrian Mole, #4)
  • Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years (Adrian Mole, #5)
  • The Lost Diaries of Adrian Mole, 1999-2001 (Adrian Mole, #7)
  • Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction (Adrian Mole, #6)
  • Adrian Mole: The Prostrate Years (Adrian Mole, #8)

News & Interviews

“I don't know why women are so mad about flowers. Personally, they leave me cold. I prefer trees.” 14 likes
“I always knew I had no small talk, and now I know I've got no big talk either.” 7 likes