Start by marking “The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole (Adrian Mole #2)” as Want to Read:
The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole (Adrian Mole #2)

The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole

(Adrian Mole #2)

At sixteen, Adrian Mole's life continues to be nothing but a set of tragic circumstances: His tempestuous relationship with an alluring schoolmate tortures him, while his intellectualism continues to be ignored by the British press. Despite it all he remains as agonizingly funny as ever in this, the second of his diaries.
Published August 19th 2003 by HarperTeen (first published 1984)

Kyra (Blog of a Bookaholic)
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
HAHAHA! So funny! I may have laughed manically several times (in public) and gained worrying looks from observers but I couldn't help it! Seriously, SO FUNNY.
Jana
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anglophile
Oh Adrian. You are every bit as funny at 15-1/2 as you were at 13-3/4.

Here are just a few samples of Adrian's diary:

Sunday May 9th
Mother's Day (USA & Canada)
I have just realized that I have never seen a dead body or a real female nipple. This is what comes of living in a cul-de-sac.

Friday August 6th
Sent Pandora a postcard:
Dear Pan,
The sun came out on Wednesday, but it didn't reach into the black despair caused by our separation. It is a cultural desert here.
From BBC radio 4 - Book at Bedtime:
The second book in the exquisitely funny Adrian Mole series by Sue Townsend, one of our most celebrated comic writers. Read by Harry McEntire.

Adrian continues to battle valiantly against the slings and arrows of growing up and his own family's attempts to scar him for life. Following on from The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole aged 13 3/4, it is now 1982 and Adrian is 15.

Adrian's parents are back together and his mother is pregnant, much to Adrian's surprise and em
BELIEVESINMIRACLES
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A+++++++++++
Laugh out loud funny !
Anna Janelle
Jul 14, 2012 rated it liked it
But, I actually want to give this book 3.75 stars without rounding it up to four - so three it is.

So, Adrian Mole, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways, but quickly because my laptop is dying and I can't muster the energy to go upstairs and get my charger. Yes, it has come to this. I'm THAT wiped out tonight.

1. You are hysterical. Flat out awkward, whiny, obnoxious, pretension and endearing.
2. Your family-situation is completely effed. I love that your parents show disdain for you. I love
Achab_
Jul 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english
Fun fun fun. Looking forward to the weekend next book! :-)
Graceann
Apr 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sue Townsend Fans, Fans of British Humor
Shelves: humor
Please see my detailed review at Amazon Graceann's "Growing Pains of Adrian Mole" Review"

Second entry in the hilarious Adrian Mole series. He's coming up on age 16 now, and still as angst-ridden as he was in the first book. This is so accurate. I'm not SO far away from my own teen years that I'm not able to recognize the behavior as my own at that time. Very witty and all the more surprising as it comes from an adult woman writing about the feelings of a teenage boy. Genius. My only caveat is th
Agnė
Adrian Mole grew on me. I cannot describe this book (and the series in general) more perfectly than New York Times did: The Adrian Mole Diaries is "as sad and devastating as it is laugh-out-loud funny!"

Oh, and I LOVE the audiobook narration by Nicholas Barnes!
Phil Altimas
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mole
another great ready, again very funny and easy to read
i think we can all see some of our younger selves in adrian
Liz
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read, fiction, kiddo
Saw this in a used book store and just had to buy it, especially as it had the same cover as our original childhood version! Man, what is there not to love about Adrian Mole? Reading it as an adult I was definitely better equipped to understand all the jokes. It's also a really interesting look at 1980's England, definitely not something that interested me as a young'un. Poor Adrian and his struggles to be a literary intellectual.... too funny. I can't wait until enough years pass so that I can ...more
Sander
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Emjee
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Uaaa, tak toto ak čítal slovenský násťročný niekedy v 90tych rokoch, tak musel byť riadne prekvapený. Boli tam vtipné pasáže aj riadky na zamyslenie, no dej bol od začiatku predvídateľný a postavy od rodičov počnúc mi liezli brutálne na nervy - okrem Queenie.
Vyzerá to tak, že naozaj nie som vhodná adeptka na ya knihy (viď moje predchádzajúce recenzie na Tisíc chlapčenských bozkov alebo 14-14).
Alex
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Just as wonderful as the first. Actually made me laugh out loud at seceral points, which is something not many books manage to do.
Phil
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
See my notes on "The Secret Diary". More of the same, just as funny, with a subtle modification of tone as Adrian matures - after his fashion!
Juwi
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
THIS BOOK IS HILARIOUS!!!

so adrian mole is back again..the intellectual trying to decide whether he should or shouldn't do is 'o levels' and how he feels about his mum being pregnant (HE DID NOT REALISE UNTIL SHE ACTUALLY SAID I AM PREGNANT OMG)

his observations are the best. his comments on politics and oh his poetry that he sends to the BBC...he is just absolutely hilarious.

his on and off relationship with the pretentious snob pandora and omg BERT BAXTER AND QUEENIE. =(

if you enjoyed the firs
Redfox5
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england, fiction, humor, teens
I've had this book such a long time, the pages are falling out, at some point I've spilt tea all over it and those pages are all stained. It gives off a well read look about it. I don't think I'll be able to pass this book on. It shall have to stay with me for it's own saftey.

I'd forgotten just how funny Adrian Mole was. I read the rest of the series a year or so ago but there was a gap where I'd misplaced this one. Adrian is best as a teenager, he becomes annoying as he turns into an adult. I t
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, re-read
There are very few books that can really make me laugh out loud but Adrian Mole does it every time. This is a re-read but I originally read it before my days on Goodreads since there is no review here. I honestly think Adrian is one of the greatest characters ever created and his early diaries are particularly funny because he is just so naive yet thinks of himself as the most intellectual 15 year old that ever lived. I can't give Adrian any less than 5 stars. Perhaps this book is flawed but I'm ...more
Radka
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
První dva díly moleovské ságy mám hodně ráda (tenhle víc). Když jsem je četla ve "třinácti a tři čtvrtě", bavila jsem se hlavně lapáliemi hlavního hrdiny, zpětně jsem pak deníky docenila i jako zdroj nejrůznějších humorných poznatků a pozorování z prostředí thatcherovské Británie. Pod jejich vlivem jsem se opakovaně pokoušela nějaké deníky sama psát, první začínal nějak takhle: "Dnes jsem vrátila lístek na oběd a šla si do papírnictví koupit tenhle deník."
Peter Pinkney
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Stuck at work on twelve hour nights, this is the perfect antidote to them. Must be about the fifth time I've read this book. Still hilarious and full of wise wisdom. Sue Townsend takes a scalpel to cut open our rotten society. Funny, serious, and full of pathos.
Anton Shanaurin
Nov 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Не уму, не сердце. Далёк я от страданий низшего среднего класса Англии начала восьмидесятых годов прошлого века. Наверное, и не имеет смысла читать дальше...
Abigail Carter
Nov 21, 2015 rated it liked it
(3.5 stars)
Svetlana Jovanovic
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read it in about two days. Funny :-)
Hisham Slamet
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole was a funny book. This make me laugh.
Helda
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
its a funny story i swear.
Beth Pennington
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour
BQ ✒ - "I have just realised that i have never seen a dead body or a real female nipple. This is what comes of living in a cul-de-sac"

I was so happy to be back in the world of Adrian Mole 🖤 The first of his diaries had me in stitches and in my eyes deserves a class of a "cult classic". The second installment did not dissapoint for similar reasons

1.✔ Again, I love how amid the humour, the book gave a true depiction of 1980s England and the very real troubles working class people had to live throu
Jarno Wijma
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
I read this book for school and it wasn't a nice book. I chose this book because I liked the description of the book that I read. They said in the description that it's a funny and simple diary of a teen-boy called Adrian Mole and that it goes about love, the divorcing of his parents, helping old people and thinking about sex and school. But it become boring after twenty/thirty pages. I read the rest of this book with reluctance. I also think that it was boring, because i read the sequel of the ...more
Hilary
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, netgalley
Adrian Mole is now 16 and still suffering from adolescence. All the characters you fondly remember from the first book are present, and he gets a few more.

This is full of humorous observations on life, all through the clouded vision of a typical teenager in 1980s England. From the non sequiturs to the realistic portrayals (everyone will recognize at least one character or "type" from their own lives) and school angst, it's side-splittingly funny. And I think it's completely fair when he says he
Bill
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sue Townsend really hit her stride with this second installment of Adrian Mole. The first book seemed to me to be on the dull side after a while for reasons I expressed in my review of that book.

But there was something about it that made me want to go on to this second Adrian Mole. As I mentioned in my last review, I have read these before many years ago and remember liking them a lot.

This second volume proves that.

Adrian Mole has more happening to him and is doing more intriguing things than h
Michelle Kidwell
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it

The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole
by Sue Townsend
Open Road Integrated Media

Teens & YA
Pub Date 02 Jan 2018

I am reviewing a copy of The Growing Pains Of Adrian Mole through Open Road Integrated Media and Netgalley:

Adrian Mole is a fifteen year old sensitive poet, of the Midlands. He still has a crush on Pandora, and feels it is difficult to grow up around inferiors. His Mother is pregnant and experiencing morning sickness.

Adrian's hormones are like a whirlpool. He grows weary of his parents ar
How To Choose The Ideal Skin Clinic? 1 2 Feb 21, 2018 03:27AM
  • Koko i duhovi
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Vlak u snijegu
  • Goggle-Eyes
  • The Diary of a Teenage Health Freak
  • Boys, Brothers and Jelly Belly Dancing (Ally's World, #5)
  • Molesworth
  • The E. Before Christmas
  • Ježeva kućica
  • Maria, ihm schmeckt's nicht!
  • Čudnovate zgode šegrta Hlapića
  • Uma Aventura no Ribatejo
  • The Adventures of Milly-Molly-Mandy
  • Blott on the Landscape
  • Hajduk u Beogradu
  • Second Term at Trebizon
  • The Boy Who Kicked Pigs
  • The Big Alfie and Annie Rose Storybook

Susan Lillian "Sue" Townsend is a British novelist, best known as the author of the Adrian Mole series of books. Her writing tends to combine comedy with social commentary, though she has written purely dramatic works as well. She suffered from diabetes for many years, as a

Adrian Mole (8 books)
  • The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4  (Adrian Mole, #1)
  • True Confessions of Adrian Albert Mole (Adrian Mole, #3)
  • Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years (Adrian Mole, #4)
  • Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years (Adrian Mole, #5)
  • The Lost Diaries of Adrian Mole, 1999-2001 (Adrian Mole, #7)
  • Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction (Adrian Mole, #6)
  • Adrian Mole: The Prostrate Years (Adrian Mole, #8)
“I don't know why women are so mad about flowers. Personally, they leave me cold. I prefer trees.” 14 likes
“I always knew I had no small talk, and now I know I've got no big talk either.” 5 likes