Start by marking “Dune (Dune #1)” as Want to Read:
Dune (Dune #1)

Dune

(Dune #1)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  1,088,528 ratings  ·  46,663 reviews
Set on the desert planet Arrakis, Dune is the story of the boy Paul Atreides, heir to a noble family tasked with ruling an inhospitable world where the only thing of value is the "spice" melange, a drug capable of extending life and enhancing consciousness. Coveted across the known universe, melange is a prize worth killing for...

When House Atreides is betrayed, the destru
Published June 1st 2006 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published June 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Dune, please sign up.
Nasos Delveroudis - (warning, wall of text incoming)

Short answer: No, it's not necessary to read the rest of the series. Dune can be treated as a standalone book and st…more
- (warning, wall of text incoming)

Short answer: No, it's not necessary to read the rest of the series. Dune can be treated as a standalone book and story.

But why would you want to do that? You'll miss most of the fun, as some of the subsequent books are arguably better (especially God Emperor of Dune which, in my opinion, is probably the best and deepest sci-fi work of all time by far). Moreover the saga of Dune by no means ends with that #1 book, as only in the second volume there are huge plot twists and the story develops drastically taking a whole new turn (quite unexpected too).

Long answer: The Dune saga practically consists of two parts. The first six books were written by Frank Herbert in the period between 1965 and 1985. These are::

1) Dune (1965)
2) Dune Messiah (1969)
3) Children of Dune (1976)
4) God Emperor of Dune (1981) (like I said, arguably the best book of its genre)
5) Heretics of Dune (1984)
6) Chapterhouse: Dune (1985)

One may read them in this exact order, as they're not only sorted by publishing date but it's also how the epic unfolds in chronological order. Unfortunately Frank left his work unfinished and the story incomplete, because he passed away before he had the chance to finish the seventh book.

But his legacy lived on and it was his son Brian Herbert who resumed the Dune series, in collaboration with Kevin Anderson (widely known for contributing to the Star Wars universe by writing lots of original stories, especially "The Jedi Academy Trilogy").

Not only that but just after they'd started writing the first few books of the "modern" Dune era, they discovered long lost and forgotten material by late Frank, sealed for 15 odd years in a bank locker. It turned out these notes were actually rough guidelines about the legendary Dune 7, the missing part of the saga, the one which would complete the series, which no one had expected to see.

Brian and Kevin have released 12 books so far (but we should be expecting more to come), which I'll cite below. They are separated by thematic context, which is required as most have been written in trilogy form and need to be read in this particular order:

--- Prelude to Dune series (it's about a period beginning about 35 years before the events of the original Dune and ending about 15 years before them):

1. House Atreides (1999)
2. House Harkonnen (2000)
3. House Corrino (2001)

--- Legends of Dune series (refers to the old galaxy-wide war between humankind and machines, about 10 thousand years before Dune, when the foundations of the saga were actually built):

4. The Butlerian Jihad (2002)
5. The Machine Crusade (2003)
6. The Battle of Corrin (2004)

- Dune 7 (as a matter of fact it's an untitled series but it's practically Dune 7, split in two parts and it obviously resumes the story from where Frank Herbert left it in distant 1985):

7. Hunters of Dune (2006)
8. Sandworms of Dune (2007)

--- Heroes of Dune series (it's about a period starting around 15 years before Dune until its very beginning):

9. Paul of Dune (2008)
10. The Winds of Dune (2009)

--- Great Schools of Dune series (OK, I'll have to admit I haven't read these two yet, so I haven't got the slightest idea what they're about! Hopefully I'll find out soon enough)

11. Sisterhood of Dune (2012)
12. Mentats of Dune (2014)

The emerging question is in which order does one have to read all these books (the usual and everlasting dilemma of non-linear/multi-volume series such as the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit/Silmarillion, Ender's Saga etc). Do we have to follow the order in which they were written/published or the chronological order in which the story develops? Do we need to first read Dune (1965) or perhaps go with the Butlerian Jihad (2002) which, after all, takes place 10 thousand years earlier?

My suggestion is to read them exactly in the order in which they were presented above. I think it'd be a sin (really) if your first impression about Dune were from the books of Brian Herbert and not from Frank's.

One could also ponder if all these books are really worth it, all 18 of them. Perhaps some might actually be skipped altogether? I'd say the first twelve of them (from Dune-1965 to The Battle of Corrin-2004) are really a must read. Obviously the first six books (by Frank) are MUCH deeper but if you could make some concessions, Brian's volumes are pretty good themselves. You only need to not expect the same level of depth and lower your requirements. They'll turn out to be pretty enjoyable.

However I believe that beginning from Hunters of Dune, the story takes a somewhat Star Wars-ish turn and deviates from Frank's original spirit (eg. instead of the usual layered plots within plots within plots with increasingly difficult to grasp notions, you're starting to read more and more about space fights and lasers and the like).

All in all, I hope you'll enjoy the Dune Chronicles!(less)
Rafael Patacas I'd say it's readable for a 12 year old ( well, as in not inappropriate) but maybe it'd be better apreciated in a couple of years. at that age i'd adv…moreI'd say it's readable for a 12 year old ( well, as in not inappropriate) but maybe it'd be better apreciated in a couple of years. at that age i'd advise "have spacesuit will travel" by Heinlein or "Ender's game" by O.S.Card as lighter books.(less)

·  1,088,528 ratings  ·  46,663 reviews

Start your review of Dune (Dune #1)
Rajat Ubhaykar
In my head, the purpose of this review is very clear. It is to convince YOU to read this book. Yes, you! Waste time no more. Go grab a copy.

Machiavellian intrigue, mythology, religion, politics, imperialism, environmentalism, the nature of power. All this set in a mind-boggling, frighteningly original world which Herbert ominously terms as an "effort at prediction". Dune had me hooked!

First impression

The very first stirring I felt upon opening the yellowed pages of Dune was that of stumbling upo
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Omg! I found a Folio Society Edition a bit cheaper and brand new! You can see all of the art online but look at this cover! Now I have this and Little Women I actually got from their site. I need to get more as I can 😬

✅Reread 2022 to try to complete series! (I need to get the awesome audio too) 4.5 Stars

LOOK DAMN IT! OMG!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
••••••••••••••••

I was so worried that I wouldn't understand a thing in this book. I will admit there are some things that went over my head but for the most part I figu
Yun
Sep 23, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by first apologizing to everyone who loves this classic. I don't doubt Dune was something special when it first came out in the 1960s. But reading it for the first time today, it feels horribly outdated to me and at times almost incomprehensible.

I was warned going into this story that the beginning is extremely hard to understand, but that is an understatement. I could barely follow its scene after scene of dialogue referencing people and places and events, all with no explanation o
Manny
There's a characteristically witty essay by Borges about a man who rewrites Don Quixote, many centuries after Cervantes. He publishes a novel with the same title, containing the same words in the same order. But, as Borges shows you, the different cultural context means it's a completely new book! What was once trite and commonplace is now daring and new, and vice versa. It just happens to look like Cervantes's masterpiece.

Similarly, imagine the man who was brave or stupid enough to rewrite Dune
John Wiswell
Jun 24, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science fiction readers, fantasy readers, speculative fiction readers
No one should argue the importance Dune. It laid the foundations for a great deal of the themes and constructs in modern science fiction. Frank Herbert was as important to the genre as Isaac Asimov and Arthur Clarke. Unfortunately, just like them, he's quite dated, and his books can be a labor to read. One thing he maintained from old science fiction was prim and scientific dialogue that no one would ever actually speak. I've known many scientists, and they don't talk like this. You're not going ...more
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Nope. Sorry I don't get it.

I was able to finish it by listening to the audiobook but I was bored throughout the whole 21h.

So many descriptions... anyone else found the way Paul's mom describing him kinda weird?

And let's not even mention how many times I laughed at the main female character being called Jessica.

I'm sure I'll get plenty of comments telling me it's a classic and it brought so much to the genre... At the end of the day, my rating is always based on my enjoyment.
Jack Edwards
While the cultural impact of this book is indisputable, I couldn't help feeling incredibly underwhelmed when reading it. Even the plot couldn't save Dune, since it's spoiled at every juncture by 'Princess Irulan' and her epigraphs before each chapter. Did no-one tell her about spoiler alerts?

From the very first pages, this book plunges you in at the deep-end with an absurd amount of overly complex world-building, which just makes the book laborious to work through. It wasn't for me, and the post
Ayman
Oct 08, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
60 pages in and then i DNFed. world building is literally shit in this book.
i wanted to read this book just in case i accidentally bumped into Timothée or Zendaya but i really tried being ✨that bitch✨ but ✨that bitch✨ was not trying to be me. horrible, unreadable, and should be illegal
but think about it, if this book was written by a woman i just know i’d be able to actually read it cover to cover. never again
Lala BooksandLala
just when you thought 2021 couldn't get any weirder. ...more
Lyn
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Dune.

No other single syllable means as much to the science fiction genre, a single word that conjures images of sandworms, spice wars, great battles between rival dynastic families and a massively detailed and intricately crafted universe. No wonder this is widely regarded as not just a Science Fiction masterpiece, but a literary achievement as well.

Like a study of Shakespeare, the reader finds that this is an archetype upon which many influences and imitators have based their works. The comple
Bradley
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Update 9/15/21

Re-read. Number 14.

I cannot get over how beautiful this book is. Still my favorite after all these years. It only gets better with every re-read.

Update 8/28/17

Re-read. Number 13. :) I cry when Paul meets Gurney. I shiver when Jessica consoles Chani. I'm awestruck by the peaks and troughs of time, free-will, and the weakness in Paul even as he heroically strives against the evil that is about to be unleashed upon the universe.

*sigh*

Perfection. Easily the number one book I've ever
Sean Barrs
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 5-star-reads
2021 Reread - 5*

I was totally blown away by the recent movie version of this, that much so I decided to revisit and revaluate my opinion of this extraordinary book.

So, I read it again six years on and this is something I said I would never do because I found it so difficult to read the first time. It wasn’t the complexity of the world and politics, but the narration style which totally perplexed and frustrated me. Though I think that was more to do with my immaturity as a reader at the time th
Lisa of Troy
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

If you are having a hard time reading Dune:

My YouTube Review (admittedly totally Fangirling):

This was one of the best books that I have ever read which I was not expecting at all. First, the book is incredibly put together and really well thought out. Often, the author wrote the book in such a way as you can hear the character's thoughts which was a really interesting perspective and provided a more immersive experience.

The book touches on
J.G. Keely
People often forget that this series is what innovated our modern concept of science fiction (up until Neuromancer and The Martix, at least). Dune took the Space Opera and asked if it might be more than spandex, dildo-shaped rockets, and scantily-clad green women. Herbert created a vast and complex system of ancient spatial politics and peoples, then set them at one another's throats over land, money, and drugs.

Dune is often said to relate to Sci Fi in the same way that Tolkien relates to Fantas
Anne
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, my only reference for Dune was the 1984 movie with Kyle MacLachlan. And, honestly, it was the main reason I've always wanted to read this book.

description
Ohmygod look what that fake-looking piece of plastic shit is doing to poor MacLachlan's nose? How was he even able to act with that thing pushing his nostrils to the side of his face? I can't stop looking at it!

Anyway.
I remember loving that movie when I was young. Ahhhh. I honestly didn't remember much about it other than it was sorta weird, there wer
Mario the lone bookwolf
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: herbert-frank
Seems as if they might be duned to be addicted to spice, all good old barbarians on magic mushrooms style.

Quite dusty, especially regarding how to put the different parts of this behemoth series in the big picture of sci-fi because each part (of the 3 I´ve read so far and very probably won´t restart trying to read the 4th and 5th part) presents something different. Essentially, only this, the first one, is a real science fantasy epos, while the others are mostly circulating around the characters
Nataliya
“I have seen a friend become a worshiper, he thought.”
I don’t think I actually *enjoyed* this book. But I certainly respected the hell out of it. For a bit I thought I had it all figured out, pegged it as your bog-standard Chosen One story, and then it went where I didn’t think it’d go and neatly subverted my expectations. It tackled stuff that is uncomfortable and therefore is generally handwaved over in the usual SF epics. And for that I seriously respected this dense complex tome.

We peop
Leonard Gaya
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Dune is often considered a masterpiece of 20th-century American science fiction. In part, the book owes its reputation to the film adaptation David Lynch directed in the early 1980s (although this movie was, and still is, not considered one of his best). Frank Herbert wrote a novel of epic proportions, in other words, a space opera, with its intergalactic feudal society, its decadent (if not evil) empire and its band of rebels: the book was published some ten years before the first instalment of ...more
carol.
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: sci-fi fans
I blame the movie.

I was an avid but novice fantasy and sci-fi reader in 1984 when David Lynch’s Dune rolled out as a big-budget adaptation of the 1965 classic book. It was an artistic and box-office failure with Roger Ebert calling it “a real mess, an incomprehensible, ugly, unstructured, pointless excursion.” Numerous references were made to its excessive length, particularly a tv edition that was over 3 hours long. I never did pick up the classic sci-fi book, assuming the commentary heard abou
Michael Finocchiaro
[UPDATED]
I reread Dune for the first time in several decades and immensely enjoyed it. I also went back to watch the original cult feature film by David Lynch and had quite mixed feelings - while it was close to the overall aesthetic that Frank Herbert describes with the gorgeous desert sets and the terrifying worms, the parts of the story that were necessarily culled out was disturbing (that and the woeful special effects at the time trying (and IMHO failing) to visualize the personal shields t
Adina
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1001, classics, fantasy-sf
Update! Just wanted to say how much I loved the movie. Go see it. It was probably good that there was a gap between the time I read this and the movie.

Read 2015
Amazing! A masterpiece of SF with which I will probably compare all SF books that I’ll read in the future. It goes in my favorites shelf.

This is my 3rd attempt to read Dune and I am really grateful that I did not succeed the first two times I tried as I was too young to understand all the subtleties. I would have probably enjoyed it as
Mike's Book Reviews
Why You Should Read Dune (video): https://youtu.be/oOomSvGXfaM

Asking me to describe why Dune is so important to me is like asking a child to explain nuclear fusion. I do my best in the video linked above, but just know it probably isn't for the reasons you think.

My journey to Dune becoming my absolute favorite book of all time goes all the way back to the mid-1990's upon finding it in my high school library and deciding to give it a try because I remembered my dad and brother watching the movie
Petrik
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-fi fans
3.5/5 Stars

Dune oh Dune, seems like I need to raise my Shield Wall for this review.

Dune is one of the most important pieces of literature for the Sci-Fi genre. I’ve been raking my brain for hours on how to properly explain the importance of Dune in the sci-fi literature but you know what? I dune (hehehe) think it’s necessary for me to do so. If you truly wanna know why, you can search it on whatever search engine you use and you'll find hundreds of articles or reviews on why this book is that im
Kemper
Jul 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to write this review without rhythm so that it won’t attract a worm.

In the distant future Arrakis is a hellhole desert planet where anyone who doesn’t die of thirst will probably be eaten by one of the giant sandworms. It’s also the only place where the precious spice melange can be found so it’s incredibly valuable, and the honorable Duke Leto Atreides has been ordered by the Padishah Emperor to take over control of Arrakis from his mortal enemies, the House Harkonnen. While this seems l
s.penkevich
Oct 21, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, awesome
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

The sheer scope and magnitude of this 1965 sci-fi drama is staggering, populated with an extensive cast of characters and a rich universe full of well-rounded lore, intricate politics where every actions is revealed as ‘plans within plans within plans,’ and dynamic cultures all set on a collision course of plot that rightfully earned it a wide readers
Ahmad Sharabiani
Dune (Dune Chronicles #1), Frank Herbert

Dune is a 1965 science fiction novel by American author Frank Herbert.

In the far future, humanity has eschewed advanced computers due to a religious prohibition, in favor of adapting their minds to be capable of extremely complex tasks.

Much of this is enabled by the spice melange, which is found only on Arrakis, a desert planet with giant sand-worms as its most notable native life-form.

Melange improves general health, extends life and can bestow limited
Jonathan O'Neill
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
4 ⭐

A word of warning as you venture out to peruse the veritable smorgasbord of delectable reviews for this Sci-Fi/Fantasy Classic!
Be sure to do your Du(n)e diligence. Be wary of key phrases such as “I don’t usually read Fantasy/Sci-Fi”, “Too many made-up words” or “I’m just reading before the movie comes out”. These individuals have come down with a bad case of bandwagonitis and any self-respecting Sci-Fier-er cannot count on their reviews being in any way accurate or beneficial!
As I’m firmly pl
Merphy Napier
Upon reread... still 3.5 stars. I loved it in concept and discussion, but the writing style just kills it for me. I have such mixed feelings about this book. Video review https://youtu.be/tqvIwpjumkM

I'm really bummed that this wasn't a book I enjoyed more. I think the story itself was brilliant. The entire concept and and plot were incredible and I had such an odd experience of appreciating the story - yet not actually enjoying reading it. The narration was just so unengaging to me that
Henk
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
15-9-2021: saw the movie tonight and loved it’s esthetics and how it conveys the gravitas of the story

Like medieval (but the Islamic enlightenment version of it) times, a caste system and the oil industry imposed upon space opera, with mystical elements permeating the whole and simultaneously telling the rise of a Napoleon like hero. Dune sounds like a book that shouldn’t work, but does, in an unique, complex and compelling manner.
The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the
Samantha
Oct 21, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
TW: pedophilia and rape off page

Although this is discussed as a highly influential work in scifi, now having read it, I do think we have evolved past the need for this to be part of the canon. This book was a bit of a mess with the characters, world, and plot all feeling a bit disjointed and half baked. The world, while interesting and obviously very detailed, is barely explained to the reader and relies heavily on the appendix without actually providing context in the story (with the exception
Worth the read? 6 39 10 hours, 23 min ago
Turn of a Page: Dune by Frank Herbert 13 23 May 22, 2022 03:17PM
What God is Not: Dune 2 12 May 10, 2022 07:48PM

• Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1)
  • Foundation (Foundation, #1)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)
  • The Hobbit
  • The Martian
  • A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)
  • Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Art of the Fellowship of the Ring
  • Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos, #1)
  • The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
  • Ready Player One
  • 1984
  • The Butlerian Jihad (Legends of Dune, #1)
  • I, Robot (Robot, #0.1)
  • Neuromancer (Sprawl, #1)
  • Fahrenheit 451
  • Project Hail Mary
  • The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)
See top shelves…
Frank Herbert was a critically acclaimed and commercially successful American science fiction author.

He is best known for the novel Dune and its five sequels. The Dune saga, set in the distant future and taking place over millennia, dealt with themes such as human survival and evolution, ecology, and the intersection of religion, politics, and power, and is widely considered to be among the classi

Dune (10 books)
  • Dune Messiah (Dune, #2)
  • Children of Dune (Dune, #3)
  • God Emperor of Dune (Dune, #4)
  • Heretics of Dune (Dune, #5)
  • Chapterhouse: Dune (Dune, #6)
  • Hunters of Dune
  • Sandworms of Dune
  • Dune Series 5 Books Collection Set
  • Frank Herbert Dune Chronicles #2-6

Articles featuring this book

Now that we’re halfway through the year, it’s time to check in on the 2022 Goodreads Reading Challenge, our rigorous annual initiative for book...
120 trivia questions
13 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” 13178 likes
“The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.” 1751 likes