UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

D.D. Chant
This topic is about D.D. Chant
Group Challenges > Self Challenge: 3 books in 12 Months.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 292 (292 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by D.D. Chant (last edited Jan 01, 2014 03:22AM) (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Okay.

So here I am about to do something I'm BOUND to regret!!!
I have decided to get my act together.
I know, I know: you're all thinking 'it's about blinking time!!!' ;-P

I'm challenging myself to complete the next books in all three of my series in 2013!!!

From my Broken City series:

'Broken Truce' (Update: COMPLETED!!!)

From my Lady Quill Chronicles series:

'The Vow' (Update: COMPLETED!!! 3000 words into the 1st edit)

And from my Chronicles of Discord series:

'Severance' (Update: 100.000 words in.)

I'm already 25.000 words into 'Truce' so I'll have a bit of a head start there, but this is a HUGE ask and although I decided to do this some time ago, I'm still a bit worried now I've told everyone!

If I manage to complete 'Truce' and get half way through 'The Vow' I'll be pleased.

If I manage to complete both 'Truce' AND 'The Vow' I'll be VERY pleased.

But if I manage to complete ALL THREE I'll be ECSTATIC!!!

If I bottle it, I'm deleting this thread and will pretend that none of this ever happened!!!

;-P

message 2: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments GOOD LUCK DEEEDEEEEEEE!!!

message 3: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Thanks Elle!

Just be there for me if I fail miserably, okay???

message 4: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I will be here with HUGS AND HUGS AND HUGS.

Sure I failed miserably at mine last year. I know failure like an old friend.

message 5: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments That's okay then. Just so long as I have a shoulder to cry on when my brilliant idea turns out to be somewhat less brilliant than I thought!!!

message 6: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments Good Luck with the personal challenge D.D.
I can't help you out with the writing other than to offer support and encouragement but I can stand in with fluffy pillow and brownie distribution when required!

message 7: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Philip (sarah) wrote: "Good Luck with the personal challenge D.D.
I can't help you out with the writing other than to offer support and encouragement but I can stand in with fluffy pillow and brownie distribution when re..."

Thanks P.S.!!!

I'm holding you to that!!! Lol!

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21934 comments Hi DD
It is quite a tall order, but best of luck with it

message 9: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Thanks Jim!

I have the plots for all of the books (mostly) sorted out...

I guess we'll just have to see what happens!!!

message 10: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Wheyhey DD ! Good luck !

message 11: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments good luck DD :) we'll be here for encouragement, support, hugs, kicks up the bum and nibbles... plenty of nibbles :)

message 12: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Thanks Kath and Lori!!!

All encouragement, support, hugs and nibbles are VERY welcome!!!

GL promised to wave her branding iron around if I slack off... now I'm kinda scared!!!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Well it has cooled down now that im away . Ill have to warm it up when I get back.

message 14: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments *Heaves sigh of relief*

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

All the best, Dd!

I did do a double take when I saw your heading though - I thought it was a joke, read three books in 12 months! Slow reader... Then I realised it was you and it must about writing!

;0)

message 16: by D.D. Chant (last edited Dec 28, 2012 03:56PM) (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Karen (Kew) wrote: "All the best, Dd!

I did do a double take when I saw your heading though - I thought it was a joke, read three books in 12 months! Slow reader... Then I realised it was you and it must about writin..."

Lol!!!

Thanks Kew!!!

Well with all that writing I might only have time for 3 books!!!

I will MAKE time!!!

message 17: by Emma (new)

Emma (emzibah) | 4396 comments Good luck Deed :-) xx

message 18: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Thanks Emz!!!

Will need all the positive vibes you can spare!!! xxx

message 19: by D.D. Chant (last edited Dec 31, 2012 01:19PM) (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments I was really busy today and didn't manage to do any writing!!!

*Gasp*

If I'm to stay on track that had better not happen too much next year!

I *did* however, manage to sort out an important plot point.

message 20: by Jim (last edited Dec 31, 2012 01:27PM) (new)

Jim | 21934 comments D.D. wrote: "I was really busy today and didn't manage to do any writing!!!

*Gasp*

If I'm to stay on track that had better not happen too much next year!

I *did* however, manage to sort out an important plot point...."

Important plot points are, by definition important. Get them sorted in your mind and you'll write three times as much next day as you would have done. ;-)
Today all I did was think up a 'throw away line' one character can make. An old joke which allows him to reveal a little about his past.
I added 55 words but deleted 20 that had already been there. I wonder if anyone will ever pick up on it

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments *hands Deedee a freshly sharpened brand new pencil and a pristine notebook*

Happy first day of your challenge!

I know you can do it!

message 22: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Patti (Festive Figgy Pudding) wrote: "*hands Deedee a freshly sharpened brand new pencil and a pristine notebook*

Happy first day of your challenge!

I know you can do it!"

Thank you Peppermint P.!!!

The support has been great, I'm full of get up and go!!!

message 23: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments DAY 1 UPDATE DEMANDDDDDD!

message 24: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Louise-Lesley (Elle) wrote: "DAY 1 UPDATE DEMANDDDDDD!"

Lol!!!

So far so good, Elle!!! ;-P

I finalised a really big plot point a few days ago which has a big part in what's going on in the story right now. So that's made things a bit easier on me!

message 25: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Woop! Go DD. I expect regular updates!!!!!

message 26: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21934 comments Louise-Lesley (Elle) wrote: "Woop! Go DD. I expect regular updates!!!!!"

but not too regular, DD has to spent her time writing books not writing updates on why she's been busy to write books because of all the updates we demand :-)

message 27: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Jim wrote: "Louise-Lesley (Elle) wrote: "Woop! Go DD. I expect regular updates!!!!!"

but not too regular, DD has to spent her time writing books not writing updates on why she's been busy to write books becau..."

Lol!

So THAT's my problem!!! ;-P

message 28: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21934 comments That's your problem in a nutshell. You're a creative artist. You shouldn't be held to account like some damned hack!
You should be awakened, sensitively, at some sensible time before noon, ideally with a beverage of choice. You should be told at the time that your bath is already run, and after your bath you make your way downstairs and eat the breakfast laid out ready for you whilst you read the post.
At about noon your three secretaries arrive, one for each book. You dictate to each as you pace backwards and forwards across the carpet in the orangery, until finally, at perhaps three in the afternoon, creative juices spent, you pack them off to write up the days work. You take take a light collation, and then the secretaries return with the work done today. You dismiss them to their homes and work through the manuscripts with your red pencil, before glancing at the clock and realising it's almost time to dress for dinner. At 8pm the taxi arrives to collect you. From then on your time is your own.

message 29: by D.D. Chant (last edited Jan 04, 2013 11:29AM) (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Jim wrote: "That's your problem in a nutshell. You're a creative artist. You shouldn't be held to account like some damned hack!
You should be awakened, sensitively, at some sensible time before noon, ideally ..."

Spooky, Jim!!!

How did you know my routine so well!!! The only thing you got wrong is that I don't pace the whole time when I dictate, half way through my masseuse arrives to stop me getting too tense.

message 30: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments I have finished my problematic scene!!!

Yay!!!

AND I'm on target word wise!!!

message 31: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21934 comments D.D. wrote: "How did you know my routine so well!!! The only thing you got wrong is that I don't pace the whole time when I dictate, half way through my masseuse arrives to stop me getting too tense..."

Oh that's easily explained. I couldn't spell masseuse

message 32: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Jim wrote: "D.D. wrote: "How did you know my routine so well!!! The only thing you got wrong is that I don't pace the whole time when I dictate, half way through my masseuse arrives to stop me getting too tens..."

I googled it! ;-P

message 33: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Congrats DD!

message 34: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18539 comments Good luck DD :o) my challenge will be to read them all once you have written them

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Jud (Disney Diva) wrote: "Good luck DD :o) my challenge will be to read them all once you have written them"

That's a good idea, you can have a year off challenges while you wait for Dd to finish!

;0)

message 36: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Thanks everyone!!! ;-P

You'll have to read 'Fracture' first, Jud, or 'Severance' will be wayyyyyy confusing!!!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Oh Jim that was wonderful!!!

Giggling away here.

I may have to take up writing!

message 38: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18539 comments I have read fracture DD, silly billy.

message 39: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21934 comments Patti (Bowl of Cherries) wrote: "Oh Jim that was wonderful!!!

Giggling away here.

I may have to take up writing!"

I'm not sure whether you could get an adequate masseuse in Baku

message 40: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Jud (Disney Diva) wrote: "I have read fracture DD, silly billy."

Have you?!?!?!?

That is soooooooo weird! I don't remember sending you a copy!!!

Oh dear: what else don't I remember?!?!?!?

*Goes off to make sure marbles are still safe in dusty jar on the shelf*

message 41: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Okay! Update time!!!

Made my word target again today!!! Yay!!! :-)

However...

Kew posted a link to some on sale books and I now have two new series totalling 11 books on my kindle...

They keep calling to me in sultry whispers!!!

*Eye twitches*

message 42: by Elle (last edited Jan 05, 2013 09:19AM) (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments LOL!

One of my freinds is a keen reader also (but hates the internet so no chance of her coming on here).

Her drug is photography. She loves it but she seems to only do one thing at a time - read or photograph things.

She started a system last year that could work for you too.

It's based on an old study system when you have multiple subjects.

It can work two or three ways

Either using hours, days or weeks.

Pretty much you split your free time in half and focus on one thing at a time. Either doing it 1/2 and 1/2 in a day or doing it 2 days doing one thing and 2 days doing the other, or even 1 week doing one thing and one week doing another.

It works for her. One week she reads in her free time. The next she will do some photography. It works so well for her I think because she gets inspired in the week she is reading and then takes notes for her to use when she is doing photography.

Her theory was that if you do something creative constantly you are gonna run out of ideas so if you do something fun for a week you will let all the creativity build up and by the time you go to photograph (or write in your case) you can do it quicker and easier

TLDR: you can do both, just organise yourself!

message 43: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Hmmm...

That could work...

;-P

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

D.D. wrote: "Okay! Update time!!!

However...

Kew posted a link to some on sale books and I now have two new series totalling 11 books on my kindle...

They keep ..."

Mwuhahahahahahahaha

message 45: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Karen (Kew) wrote: "D.D. wrote: "Okay! Update time!!!

However...

Kew posted a link to some on sale books and I now have two new series totalling 11 books on my kindle....."

Bad, Kew!!! ;-P

message 46: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18539 comments Oh here you're right DD I'm getting confused. I was thinking of broken city, I haven't read fracture yet. Is it on amazon now?

message 47: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Jud (Disney Diva) wrote: "Oh here you're right DD I'm getting confused. I was thinking of broken city, I haven't read fracture yet. Is it on amazon now?"

Not yet; it goes live in March!!!

message 48: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Okay... I didn't make my quota today. I feel really nervous about it, like I'm on the slippery road to failure!!!

message 49: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments It's okay.

If you fail one day don't let yourself get down. Use a technique my friend taught me. Instead make a list of what you did instead, noting everything positive, even if it was stupid. As long as it made you smile, do it.

Read it and then smile again, because even if you didn't get your goals done, you had a good day and it was worth it!

Then, start again tomorrow :D

message 50: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21934 comments D.D. wrote: "Okay... I didn't make my quota today. I feel really nervous about it, like I'm on the slippery road to failure!!!"

You are, it's called life ;-)
You have set yourself a goal, three books in a year. This is quite a task. However it isn't just a case of mechanically churning out words on a page. You are making something, and sometimes things go well and sometimes they good badly.
Just as you shouldn't get over excited if they go well, don't get too worried if they go badly.

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;

All in all if you produce two cracking books this year and are a fair way into a third, it's a good year's work.

Indeed, if this year you only write one book, but in twenty years time, some bit of a lass meets you in a book shop and says 'Thank you', because of your book I realised reading was fun, and through some bad times, reading has kept me sane' then I'd venture to suggest that this year can be chalked up as a success.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlR...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6