The Lost Challenges discussion

Archives - Monthly Challenges > January Scattergories Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) description

Here we go again!

The general rules of Scattergories are you are given a list of categories and a time limit. Then the letter dice is rolled and you have to come up with something that matches your letter and the category.

This “Challenge” works in conjunction with the other challenges you may participate in this month. You may use a book to fulfill multiple items (you don't have to read 12 books this month...don't worry!) While you are fulfilling the requirements of your other challenges, be on the lookout for the following items (they may be on the cover or mentioned in the book):

The Challenge: I will post a list of 12 categories, 6 general relating to any book, and 6 specific to that month. On the last day of the month before, I will post the letter of the month. You can start reading on the 1st. The goal is to get as many points as possible by the end of the month.

Duration: January 1st to January 31st

Rules
1.Any genre of books will work
2.Ebooks and audio count
3.You can read in any order
4.Rereads are ok but if you really reread the book

Points: You get one point for each category you can tie to a book, where the first letter begins with the letter of the month. You get double points for each time the letter of the month is used to begin a word (ex. for author if the letter was C, Cassandra Claire would be 2 points). We will not be deducting points for duplicate answers like the original game version does.

Special categories are open for interpretation. As long as it is mentioned in the book and you can justify how it fits, it will work.

When you find one of the items list the Book Title and Author (or link the cover), date it, and specify where the item is found within the book.

Just like the regular game we will not use the letters K, Q, U, V, X, Y and Z.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) January

General
1. Book Title
2. Author
3. Main Character
4. Secondary Character
5. Place
6. Cover

January Specials

The first day of the month is known as NEW Year's Day, which is usually brought in with LOUD bells and whistles. It is, on average, the COLDest month of the year within most of the Northern Hemisphere. January's birthstone is the garnet, a RED stone. January is National HOBBY Month as well as having a couple MANLY holidays (Male Watcher's Day- Jan 8 & Feast of Fabulous Wild Men Day- Jan 12).

7. New
8. Loud
9. Cold
10. Red
11. Hobby
12. Manly

message 3: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (last edited Dec 28, 2012 06:13AM) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) The letter of the month is N.

message 4: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (last edited Dec 28, 2012 06:16AM) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Participants:

Pat
Lindy
Kattibire
Laura
Jennifer
Joni
Rachael
Jade aka MrsTosh
CaroB

message 5: by PepperP0t (last edited Jan 27, 2013 07:48PM) (new)

PepperP0t  | 2051 comments I'm in -- but what variations can we get on manly?

Jan Scattergories -- Letter "N" (17pts)

Iced (Fever #6, Dani O'Malley #1) by Karen Marie Moning (1/2 - 3.25stars) Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy, #2) by Deborah Harkness (1/6-3.75stars); Enraptured (Eternal Guardians, #4) by Elisabeth Naughton (4.5stars-1/21); Naked Edge (I-Team, #4) by Pamela Clare (1/1-4stars); Phantom Shadows (Immortal Guardians, #3) by Dianne Duvall (1/7-4.5stars); Finale (Hush, Hush, #4) by Becca Fitzpatrick (1/27-3stars)

GENERAL:
1. Book Title: Naked Edge by Pamela Clare (12/31) (1pt)
2. Title: Enraptured by Elisabeth Naughton (1pt)
3. Main Character: Bastien Newcombe --Phantom Shadows (1pt)
4. Secondary Character: NoraFinale (1pt)
5. Place: North Carolina -- Phantom Shadows (1)
6. Cover: Neck -- Phantom Shadows (1)
JANUARY SPECIALS:
7. New: pg 384 -- Shadow of Night (2pts) -- With each new technology and every successive change in the national and international telephone system, the number referred seamlessly on to another, more modern iteration.
8. Loud: pg 446 -- Shadow of Night (1pt) -- “What we need to lift our boredom is a spring feast now that Lent is almost over,” said one young male courtier in a loud voice.
9. Cold: pg 274 --Iced (2pts) -- It never gets cold like this at night!
10. Red: Pg 79 -- Enraptured ( 1pt) -- As a god herself, she was near his height at close to seven feet, and her flawless skin and ruby red lips drew his attention as they always did.
11. Hobby: Pg 326 -- Iced (1pt) -- It’s just a hobby now.
12. Manly: pg 11 -- Shadow of Night (4pts) -- There were no nudges to indicate that this man was a daemon, no witchy tingles, nor the frosty aftereffects of a vampire’s glance.

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Pat wrote: "I'm in -- but what variations can we get on manly?"

Anything related to a male will work.
Here are examples from last January where the letter was W.

weasel-boy
Men with wings
Warriors
Whatever he'd hoped to gain by a MANLY display, had backfired

message 7: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 2051 comments Dawn (Kat N Hat) wrote: "Pat wrote: "I'm in -- but what variations can we get on manly?"

Anything related to a male will work.
Here are examples from last January where the letter was W.

weasel-boy
Men with wings
Warri..."

ok, thx -- hope you had a good Christmas Dawn!

message 8: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) how about i can't find it...lol

i will try again

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Lindy wrote: "how about i can't find it...lol

i will try again"

Can't find what?

message 10: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Pat wrote: "ok, thx -- hope you had a good Christmas Dawn! "

It was great, Hope yours was just as fabulous!

message 11: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) men can never find anything, especially directions to where they are going. The really need a GPS

message 12: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Lindy wrote: "men can never find anything, especially directions to where they are going. The really need a GPS"

LOL!

message 13: by Kattibrie (new)

Kattibrie Not really sure how this will work, but sounds interesting and I'll join. I'll catch up as I go ;)

message 14: by Laura (last edited Feb 01, 2013 01:45AM) (new)

Laura | 335 comments Letter: N

Pointa: 11

1. Book Title
2. Author
3. Main Character - Nikki - Everneath *** 08.01 - 1 point
4. Secondary Character - Nash - My Soul to Take **** 07.01 - 1 point
5. Place - New York Lover Eternal ***** 18.01 - 1 point
6. Cover - Nose - Wither ** 11.01 - 1 point
7. New - Spell Bound - page 51 - Three months after the new leader was elected, she led the entire Brannick family on a raid to the biggest vampire nest in North America. - **** 24.01 - 2 points
8. Loud - Eternal Kiss of Darkness - page 5 - If it had been later in the day, the nois from cars and pedestrians would've drowned our anything coming from the warehouses; but with most people still sleeping, she next caught what sounded like a loud moan. - 27.01.13 ***** 2 points
9. Cold - Fifty Shades of Grey **** 16.01 - page 22 - That night i dream of dark places, bleak, cold white floors... - 1 point
10. Red - Stormwalker - page 64 - ...he turned on his red and blue lights and headed north... 23.01.13 ***** - 1 point
11. Hobby
12. Manly - Witches of East End ***** 31.01 - ...a newspaper spread in front of him, looking crisp and manly... - 1 point

Everneath (Everneath, #1) by Brodi Ashton My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1) by Rachel Vincent Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1) by Lauren DeStefano Spell Bound (Hex Hall, #3) by Rachel Hawkins Eternal Kiss of Darkness (Night Huntress World #2) by Jeaniene Frost Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) by E.L. James Stormwalker (Stormwalker, #1) by Allyson James Witches of East End (The Beauchamp Family, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz

message 15: by Jade aka MrsTosh (last edited Jan 14, 2013 05:04AM) (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 703 comments I'm in....not really sure about all the rules, but sure I will pick them up as I go

January Scattergories
Duration:01/01 to 31/01
Letter: N
Completed 14.01.13

General
1. Book Title ~ Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist
2. Author ~ Nicole Williams
3. Main Character ~Nick
4. Secondary Character ~Norah
5. Place ~ New York
6. Cover ~ Netting (on Tutu)
7. New ~ Pg 16 Nick Norah's Infinite Playlist I can’t remember the last time I felt anticipation—not of sex necessarily, but of getting to know a delicious new person, even if he is a poor schmuck.
8. Loud ~ Pg41 Nick Norah's Infinite Playlist she’s not laughing too loud, trying too fucking hard. She’s my savior with the stick that says negative.
9. Cold ~ Pg78 Nick Norah's Infinite Playlist And the room isn’t that cold, there’s just the noise of the soda machine to contend with.
10. Red ~ Pg43 Crash There were a lot of things I could go without—shampoo, candy corns, red toe nail polish, sleep . . . hell, boys—before I could go without dance.
11. Hobby ~ Pg536 Nine Uses for an Ex-BoyfriendMaybe you could take up a hobby together. Try something that you’ve never done before, like, say, bungee jumping or pottery.’
12 Manly ~ Pg470 Nine Uses for an Ex-boyfriend ‘Way to make it obvious,’ she’d sneer if someone with a penis dared to stand too close to her in Caffè Nero.

Nick Norah's Infinatel Playlist 02.01.13 ★★
Nine Uses For An Ex-boyfriend 05.01.13 ★★★★
Crash 09.01.13 ★★★★★

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel CohnCrash (Crash, #1) by Nicole Williams Nine Uses for an Ex-Boyfriend by Sarra Manning

message 16: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 2051 comments Dawn when do we get the letter?

Jade you can do this, you're looking for words 7-12 in a sentence that also has a word that begins with the letter of the month & you are looking for items 1-6 that begin with the letter of the month

message 17: by Jennifer H (last edited Jan 21, 2013 08:07PM) (new)

Jennifer H January Scattergories
Duration:01/01 to 01/31
Letter:N

General
✔1.Book Title:Notorious Nineteen-2 points
✔2.Author:Alyson Noel-Evermore-1 point
3.Main Character
✔4.Secondary Character:Nataraja-Magic Bites-1 point
✔5.Place:New York City, New York-The Diviners-2 points
✔6.Cover:Nose/Neck-Unholy Ghosts-2 points

January Specials:
✔7. New:...nothing new turned up...BlindsightedDisc 9/Track 16-1 point
✔8. Loud:All that loud noise is no longer...Evermore-Part 1(05:13)-1 point
✔9. Cold:...very hot to the touch despite the night cold.BlindsightedDisc 5/Track 9(02:33)-1 point
✔10. Red:Her eyes were puffy her nose was bright red.BlindsightedDisc 4/Track 1(00:57)-1 point
✔11. Hobby:...follow newfangled human pastimes.Dragon Bound-Disc 10/Track25-1 point
✔12. Manly:Just his glorious half naked body...Evermore-Part 3(45:15)-1 point

Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter:1/1 ★★★★★
The Diviners by Libba Bray:1/7 ★★★★★
Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane:1/11 ★★★★
Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews:1/13 ★★★★
Evermore by Alyson Noel:1/17 ★★★★
Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich:1/17 ★★★★
Dragon Bound by Thea Harrison:1/19 ★★★★★
Blindsighted (Grant County, #1) by Karin Slaughter The Diviners (The Diviners, #1) by Libba Bray Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews Evermore (The Immortals, #1) by Alyson Noel Notorious Nineteen (Stephanie Plum, #19) by Janet Evanovich Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison

message 18: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Pat wrote: "Dawn when do we get the letter?

Jade you can do this, you're looking for words 7-12 in a sentence that also has a word that begins with the letter of the month & you are looking for items 1-6 that..."

I will post the letter on the 28th, it's only the afternoon of the 27th here.

message 19: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) For all the newbies, feel free to ask questions. It seems to be harder to get if you've never played the home version of the game.

message 20: by Joni (new)

Joni  | 75 comments Sign me up. Did I miss the letter of the month?

message 21: by ☀Rachael☀ (last edited Jan 24, 2013 02:59AM) (new)

☀Rachael☀ (jimbunni) In! N!!

January Scattergories

General
1.Book Title -
2.Author - Nalini Singh - Angels' Blood
3.Main Character -
4.Secondary Character -
5.Place - New York - Already Dead --- Charlie Huston
6.Cover - Nephralin - Unearthly --- Cynthia Hand

January Specials:
7. New - New Borns --- Raised by Wolves --- Jennifer Lynn Barnes
8. Loud
9. Cold
10. Red
11. Hobby
12. Manly

Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh Already Dead (Joe Pitt, #1) by Charlie Huston Raised by Wolves (Raised by Wolves, #1) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes Unearthly (Unearthly, #1) by Cynthia Hand

message 22: by Jade aka MrsTosh (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 703 comments I have never played the game at home Dawn, but I will try anything once lol...looking forward to it

message 23: by Jade aka MrsTosh (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 703 comments think I get the gist of it

message 24: by Lina (last edited Jan 31, 2013 04:31AM) (new)

Lina I'm in!

~TLC: January Scattergories~
1st to 31st January, 2013

1. Book Title
✔2. Author: Naomi Bellini, Out of the Ordinary: The Adventures of Star Lite
✔3. Main Character: Skin Deep, Nate West.
4. Secondary Character:
✔5. Place: Lover Unbound, Caldwell, New York,
✔6. Cover: Lover Unbound, Neck
✔7. New: All About Love Pg 86,"Is that the new name for smug­gling?"
✔8. Loud: Lover Unbound Pg 240, "Father was reading the newspaper, and the sound of those flapping pages was loud as a shotgun going off.
✔9. Cold: Lover Unbound Pg 242, "You know, cold autumn night."
✔10. Red: Lover Unbound Pg 297, "The setup looked like a commercial for Nestle, the kind of thing where Suburban Mom was holding down the fort while the Kids played in the snow until they got red noses and cold hands."
11. Hobby:
12. Manly:

Read:
All About Love (Cynster, #6) by Stephanie Laurens by Stephanie Laurens, ★★★, 04.01.13
Skin Deep (I-Team, #5.5) by Pamela Clare by Pamela Clare, ★★★, 06.01.13
Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5) by J.R. Ward by J.R. Ward, ★★★, 12.01.13
Out of the Ordinary The Adventures of Star Lite by Naomi Bellina by Naomi Bellini, ★★, 30.01.13

message 25: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Joni wrote: "Sign me up. Did I miss the letter of the month?"

Nope, just now posted it.

message 26: by Alley (last edited Jan 31, 2013 05:01PM) (new)

Alley (alleycatfish) FINISHED!
TLC's January Scattergories
Duration: Jan 1 - Jan 31
Completed: 12/12

General
✔1. Book Title: Night Pleasures - Sherrilyn Kenyon 01/16 - 1 point
✔2. Author: The Eight - Katherine Neville 01/30 - 1 point
✔3. Main Character: Hell on Wheels - Julie Ann Walker Nate Weller 01/04 - 1 point
✔4. Secondary Character: Peach Cobbler Murder - Joanne Fluke - Norman Rhodes 01/16 - 1 point
✔5. Place: Fantasy Lover - Sherrilyn Kenyon - New Orleans, LA 01/05 - 1 point
✔6. Cover: The Darkest Hour - Maya Banks - Naked man-chest, nipples, nose, neck 01/03 - 4 points

Specials
✔7. New - Hell on Wheels - Julie Ann Walker - pg. 20 - Nate had given new meaning to the nickname. - 2 points
✔8. Loud - Over Sea, Under Stone - Susan Cooper - pg. 184 - In the same moment they heard a new noise over the low throb of the yacht's waiting engines: a high-pitched drone that grew louder and nearer. - 3 points
✔9. Cold - The Dark and Hollow Places - Carrie Ryan - pg 164 - My cheek throbs and I press it against windows, letting the cold of the night numb the pain. 01/02 - 2 points
✔10. Red - Peach Cobbler Murder - Joanne Fluke - pg46 - Her curly red hair was sticking out like Little Orphan Annie's, but there was no need to pull it back to accommodate a health department mandated hair net today. 01/16 - 3 points
✔11. Hobby - The Dark and Hollow Places - Carrie Ryan - pg 10 - The air's thick with the smell of their sweat and need as they find solace together while I hunker in the night drawing the woman. 01/02 - 2 points
✔12. Manly - The Highlander's Touch - Karen Marie Moning - pg 195 - In her century, there were no men who could begin to compare to the masculine splendor of Circenn Brodie. 01/14 - 1 point

Night Pleasures (Dark-Hunter, #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon The Eight by Katherine Neville Hell on Wheels (Black Knights, Inc., #1) by Julie Ann Walker Peach Cobbler Murder (Hannah Swensen, #7) by Joanne Fluke Fantasy Lover (Dark-Hunter, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon The Darkest Hour (KGI, #1) by Maya Banks Over Sea, Under Stone (The Dark Is Rising, #1) by Susan Cooper The Dark and Hollow Places (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #3) by Carrie Ryan The Highlander's Touch (Highlander, #3) by Karen Marie Moning

message 27: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) Do we have the same team or get a new one?

message 28: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 2051 comments Lindy wrote: "Do we have the same team or get a new one?"

no team for this Lindy. we all play independently.

message 29: by Joni (new)

Joni  | 75 comments Thanks Dawn and Happy New Year!

message 30: by Chaitra (last edited Jan 28, 2013 01:56PM) (new)

Chaitra (chaitra_ganesh) Dawn (Kat N Hat) wrote: "The letter of the month is N."

Oh no. I have terrible trouble with N. :( That won't stop me from signing up though. ;)

JANUARY SCATTERGORIES

Duration: Jan 01, 2013 - Jan 31, 2013

General

1. Book Title: number9dream | David Mitchell ★★★★ (01/11): 2 points.
2. Author: Tiger Rag: A Novel | Nicholas Christopher ★★★ (01/18): 1 point.
3. Main Character: Nilgun Hanim, Silent House | Orhan Pamuk ★ (01/04): 1 point.
4. Secondary Character: Neelam Nath, Joseph Anton | Salman Rushdie ★★★★ (01/04): 2 points.
5. Place: New York, New York, Joseph Anton | Salman Rushdie ★★★★ (01/04): 2 points.
6. Cover: Number Nine, number9dream | David Mitchell ★★★★ (01/11): 2 points.

number9dream by David Mitchell Tiger Rag A Novel by Nicholas Christopher Silent House by Orhan Pamuk Joseph Anton by Salman Rushdie Washington A Life by Ron Chernow

January Specials

1. New: "...George Balanchine's New York City Ballet and invited his new young novelist to watch a performance..." - Joseph Anton | Salman Rushdie ★★★★ (01/04): 3 points.
2. Loud: "At night, in the small flat on K. Street, she learned a new noise..." - The Zookeeper's Wife | Diane Ackerman ★★ (01/09): 3 points.
3. Cold: "It was cold november weather, but they ran in the beach throwing a football around, and security officers were nowhere in sight." - Joseph Anton | Salman Rushdie ★★★★ (01/04): 2 points.
4. Red: "But lower Belgrave St was full of people in need of a bloody nose - the nicaraguan dictator's wife, next door at number 35 and those nice Lucans at number 46 (Lord Lucan, at the time, had not yet tried to murder his wife, killing the nanny instead...) - Joseph Anton | Salman Rushdie ★★★★ (01/04): 9 points.
5. Hobby:
6. Manly: "Fascinated by violence and the manly spirit - naturally brave, daring, fierce..." - The Zookeeper's Wife | Diane Ackerman ★★ (01/09): 1 point.

Joseph Anton by Salman Rushdie The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman

message 31: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) I'll try this. Don't know if I understand, but I'll try.

message 32: by ☀Rachael☀ (new)

☀Rachael☀ (jimbunni) Alley wrote: "I think I'll give this a try.

TLC's January Scattergories
Duration: Jan 1 - Jan 31
Completed: 0/12

General
1. Book Title: Night Pleasures - Sherrilyn Kenyon
2. Author: The Eight - Kat..."

I see a lot of Noses in this months lol!

message 33: by Minttu (last edited Jan 30, 2013 08:30AM) (new)

Minttu (menthae) | 35 comments January Scattergories

Duration: 01/01 to 31/01

General

1. Book Title ~
2. Author ~ Fated by Alison Noël - [1 point]
3. Main Character ~
4. Secondary Character ~ Nicole Ade, Miss Colorado in Beauty Queens by Libba Bray - [1 point]
5. Place ~ New York in Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin - [1 point]
6. Cover ~ neck in Fated by Alison Noël - [1 point]

January Specials:

7. New : "So the very next day I bought a new camera - the best one I could afford on my meager credit - and enrolled in a comprehensive course at the New York Institute of Photography." - pg. 180 (ebook) in Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin - [2 points]
8. Loud : "The girls screamed as loudly as they could, but no one heard and no one came." - pg. 192 - Beauty Queens by Libba Bray - [2 points]
9. Cold : “She stepped into a cold shower, letting the unpleasantness of the icy water pelt her until her skin was red but normal again." - pg. 160 - Beauty Queens by Libba Bray - [1 point]
10. Red : "Margot, who is impeccably dressed in a navy sweater set, crisp white pants and cherry red flats that match her lipstick, looks up from a Nicholas Sparks novel and smiles." - pg. 529 (ebook) in Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin - [3 points]
11. Hobby : "Naturally, I think fondly, but say, "You're taking up yoga?"" - pg. 226 (ebook) in Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin - [1 point]
12. Manly : "Something manly and comfortable to go with his faded Levi's, a navy fleece pullover, and black, loosely tied Adidas sneakers." - pg. 71 (ebook) in Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin - [1 point]

Books read:

Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin - 20 Jan 2013 - ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Beauty Queens by Libba Bray - 29 Jan 2013 - ♥ ♥ ♥
Fated by Alyson Noël - 30 Jan 2013 - ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin Fated (Soul Seekers, #1) by Alyson Noel Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

message 34: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Rachael wrote: "I see a lot of Noses in this months lol!
..."

LOL, you could find a nose for all the special ones couldnt you?

message 35: by Turtlecollector Dennis (last edited Feb 01, 2013 09:50PM) (new)

Turtlecollector Dennis I think I am going to try this one this month. I will be back to post books when I find them.

Timeframe: January 2013
Points so far: 8

1. Title: Notorious Nineteen
2. Author:
3. Main character: Nick Carry the One
4. Secondary character:
5. Place: New Jersey Notorious Nineteen
6. Cover: nose When a Heart Stops

7. new:
8. loud:
9. cold:
10. red: "red sweater with low scoop neck" pg 15 Notorious Nineteen
11. hobby: "I'm real nosy." pg 31 (this is a hobby for Grandma) Notorious Nineteen
12. manly: "nut" pg 42 (referring to male parts, but I did not want to put the whole sentence here) Notorious Nineteen

Books read:
Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich 1/2/13 4♥
When a Heart Stops 1/1/13 4♥
Carry the One by Carol Anshaw 1/4/13 2♥
Carry the One by Carol Anshaw Notorious Nineteen (Stephanie Plum, #19) by Janet Evanovich When a Heart Stops (Deadly Reunions, #2) by Lynette Eason

message 36: by JenniferJ (last edited Jan 26, 2013 04:52PM) (new)

JenniferJ | 0 comments JANUARY SCATTERGORIES --COMPLETED on 1/26/13

Duration: Jan 01, 2013 - Jan 31, 2013

General

1. Book Title: New A New Tradition
2. Author: Naylor 101 Tips for Traveling with a Vampire by Joleene Naylor
3. Main Character: Naomi from The Abduction of Mary Rose
4. Secondary Character: Sergeant Nelson from The Abduction of Mary Rose
5. Place: Nova Scotia (pg 36 The Abduction of Mary Rose) "She learned about sculptors....painters....and writers, including the late poet Laureate Rita Joe of Nova Scotia>"
6. Cover: Necklace from The Abduction of Mary Rose

January Specials

1. New: New (pg 24 The Abduction of Mary Rose) "Naomi lay awake for most of that night, staring at the ceiling, thinking, trying to come to terms with this new reality she'd been handed."
2. Loud: Next (pg 234) Asking for Trouble "A loud voice next to my ear snapped me out of my dream and back into the present."
3. Cold: Numbingly (pg 145) The Abduction of Mary Rose) "It would be numbingly cold yet."
4. Red: Nodded (pg 122)Asking for Trouble "Mom nodded, and we walked to the station with the big red and white bulls-eye...."
5. Hobby: Narrator (pg 151) The Abduction of Mary Rose) "Naomi told her how much she loved narrating stories."
6. Manly: Name (pg 43 The Abduction of Mary Rose) "Nevertheless, she jotted down the man's name."

Books Read:
The Abduction of Mary Rose by Joan Hall Hovey (1/2/13)***
Asking for Trouble by Sandra Byrd (1/9/13)****
101 Tips for Traveling with a Vampire by Joleene Naylor (1/15/13)*
A New Tradition by Tonya Kappes (1/26/13)***

The Abduction of Mary Rose by Joan Hall Hovey Asking for Trouble (London Confidential, #1) by Sandra Byrd 101 Tips for Traveling with a Vampire by Joleene Naylor A New Tradition by Tonya Kappes

message 37: by Suzanne (last edited Jan 29, 2013 06:36AM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 1551 comments The Lost Challenges
January Scattergories Challenge
Duration:
1/1/2013 - 1/31/2013

Progress: 8 out of 12

General
1. Book Title
2. Author: Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks - **** - 1/29/2013
3. Main Character: Nora Krank: Skipping Christmas by John Grisham - ***** - 1/24/2013
4. Secondary Character: Nix: The Warlord Wants Forever by Kresley Cole - ***** - 1/8/2013
5. Place: New Mexico: Undone by Rachel Caine - ***** - 1/8/2013
6. Cover

January Specials

The first day of the month is known as NEW Year's Day, which is usually brought in with LOUD bells and whistles. It is, on average, the COLDest month of the year within most of the Northern Hemisphere. January's birthstone is the garnet, a RED stone. January is National HOBBY Month as well as having a couple MANLY holidays (Male Watcher's Day- Jan 8 & Feast of Fabulous Wild Men Day- Jan 12).

7. New: "And my new number is ... 4403."
I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella - ***** - 1/6/2013
8. Loud: "...European-looking businessmen, exclaiming in what sounds like loud, furious Japanese and gesticulating at everbody with the conference pass strung round his neck on a red cord.
9. Cold: "Now I'm sitting on the bus, staring out into the dark night, feeling cold inside."
10. Red: "...European-looking businessmen, exclaiming in what sounds like loud, furious Japanese and gesticulating at everbody with the conference pass strung round his neck on a red cord.
11. Hobby
12. Manly

I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella Undone (Outcast Season, #1) by Rachel Caine The Warlord Wants Forever (Immortals After Dark, #1) by Kresley Cole Skipping Christmas by John Grisham Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks

message 38: by Amanda A (last edited Feb 01, 2013 09:53AM) (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 488 comments January Scattergories

Total Points: 24

General
1. Book Title: Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich (2 pts)
2. Author - The Last Boyfriend by Nora Roberts (1 pt)
3. Main Character - Nathaniel Jensen in Under the Christmas Tree by Robyn Carr in That Holiday Feeling (1 pt)
4. Secondary Character - Norman Rhodes in Sugar Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke (1 pt)
5. Place - New York, NY in Confessions of a Murder Suspect by James Patterson (2 pts)
6. Cover - Neck and Nose on Temptation Twilight by Charlotte Featherstone (2 pts)

January Specials
7. New - "I had no great yearning to go inside, to see new things in an old place; it was enough to know that the lights still worked, that if a child wanted to send signals through the trees to the house next door, she needed only to wave the curtain back and forth." ~ Any Bitter Thing by Monica Wood (page 104) {3 pts}
8. Loud - “Message received loud and clear - except that it was his nature to do the taking care of, though really he should be over that by now.” ~ At Last by Jill Shalvis (KL 680) {2 pts}
9. Cold - “A few minutes ago she wouldn’t have thought a cold drink would sound appealing, but she’d be toasty in no time now.” ~ Making a Splash by Joanne Rock (Page 51) {2 pts}
10. Red - “He switched on a night-light near the door that glowed red, a color that would help a sailor maintain his night vision if he had to go back on deck.” ~ Making a Splash by Joanne Rock (Page 122) {3 pts}
11. Hobby - "He took a group rock climbing at Mile High Lakes, and then that night led another group on a moonlight hike along Thigh-Breaker trail, named Thigh-Breaker for a damn good reason." ~ Instant Gratification by Jill Shalvis (KL 2943) {2 pts}
12. Manly - “She hadn’t caught the man’s name, but he lived in a very expensive area, on the northernmost part of the town, where the rocky beach stretched for endless miles like a gorgeous postcard for the Pacific Northwest.” ~ At Last by Jill Shalvis (KL 4167) {3 pts}

Notorious Nineteen (Stephanie Plum, #19) by Janet Evanovich The Last Boyfriend (Inn BoonsBoro, #2) by Nora Roberts That Holiday Feeling (Includes Virgin River, #8) by Debbie Macomber Sugar Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #6) by Joanne Fluke Confessions of a Murder Suspect by James Patterson Temptation & Twilight (The Brethren Guardians, #3) by Charlotte Featherstone Any Bitter Thing by Monica Wood Making a Splash by Joanne Rock At Last (Lucky Harbor, #5) by Jill Shalvis Instant Gratification (Wilder, #2) by Jill Shalvis

message 39: by Alley (new)

Alley (alleycatfish) Do proper nouns beginning with N count for the specials?

message 40: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) I did not get notification that this challenge was up. I'm in, again!!

Duration: 1/1/13 - 1/31/13

Letter N Points:

General
1. Book Title
2. Author
3. Main Character
4. Secondary Character
5. Place
6. Cover

January Specials

7. New
8. Loud
9. Cold
10. Red
11. Hobby
12. Manly

message 41: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Alley wrote: "Do proper nouns beginning with N count for the specials?"

Sure.

message 42: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) N is hard, Dawn! I'm whining, whining, whining.

Will this work for new?

New "...it was all (love) so new to him. Now that he had her love..."

message 43: by Jennifer H (new)

Jennifer H How about this for manly?...

"Just his glorious half naked body"

message 44: by Jade aka MrsTosh (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 703 comments Completed 14.01.13 :)

message 45: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) Letter N Points: 7 POINTS

General
1. Book TitleNo Rest for the Wicked
2. Author (Brenda Novak)Of Noble Birth
3. Main Character (Ken Norton)Deadly Game 1/8/13 ***** stars 1 POINT
4. Secondary Character (Jack Norton)Deadly Gamesee above 1 POINT
5. Place (North Carolina)Blood Sins 1/7/13 ***1/2 stars 1 POINT
6. Cover (necktie)An Affair with Mr. Kennedy 1/12/13 **** stars 1 POINT

January Specials

7. New...it was all (love) so new to him. Now that he had her love..."p.289The Recruit
8. Loud "...the newcomer's loud, slurred voices..." p.191The Rake1/5/13 **** stars 1 POINT
9. Cold "...late one night when it was cold and stormy outside."p 71Blood Sinssee above 1 POINT
10. Red"He never saw blood as red anymore..."p.54Deadly Gamesee above 1 POINT
11. Hobby
12. Manly

The Rake by Mary Jo Putney Blood Sins (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #11) by Kay Hooper Deadly Game (GhostWalkers, #5) by Christine Feehan An Affair with Mr. Kennedy (The Gentlemen of Scotland Yard, #1) by Jillian Stone

message 46: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Leslie wrote: "N is hard, Dawn! I'm whining, whining, whining.

Will this work for new?

New "...it was all (love) so new to him. Now that he had her love...""

Sure.

message 47: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Jennifer~Princess Penguin~ wrote: "How about this for manly?...

"Just his glorious half naked body""

My favorite kind! it will work.

message 48: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) Letter N Points: 9 POINTS

General
1. Book TitleNo Rest for the Wicked
2. Author (Brenda Novak)Of Noble Birth1/17/13 *** stars 1 POINT

January Specials

7. New...it was all (love) so new to him. Now that he had her love..."p.289The Recruit1/15/13 ****stars 1 POINT
8. Loud "...the newcomer's loud, slurred voices..." p.191The Rake1/5/13 **** stars 1 POINT
9. Cold "...late one night when it was cold and stormy outside."p 71Blood Sinssee above 1 POINT
11. Hobby
12. Manly

The Rake by Mary Jo Putney Blood Sins (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #11) by Kay Hooper Deadly Game (GhostWalkers, #5) by Christine Feehan An Affair with Mr. Kennedy (The Gentlemen of Scotland Yard, #1) by Jillian Stone Of Noble Birth by Brenda Novak The Recruit (Highland Guard, #6) by Monica McCarty

message 49: by Jennifer H (new)

Jennifer H Finished!

January Scattergories
Letter:N

General
✔1.Book Title:Notorious Nineteen-2 points
✔2.Author:Alyson Noel-Evermore-1 point
3.Main Character:Nykryian "Nemisis" Quiakides-Dragon Bound-2 point
✔4.Secondary Character:Nataraja-Magic Bites-1 point
✔5.Place:New York City, New York-The Diviners-2 points
✔6.Cover:Nose/Neck-Unholy Ghosts-2 points

January Specials:
✔7. New:...nothing new turned up...BlindsightedDisc 9/Track 16-1 point
✔8. Loud:All that loud noise is no longer...Evermore-Part 1(05:13)-1 point
✔9. Cold:...very hot to the touch despite the night cold.BlindsightedDisc 5/Track 9(02:33)-1 point
✔10. Red:Her eyes were puffy her nose was bright red.BlindsightedDisc 4/Track 1(00:57)-1 point
✔11. Hobby:...follow newfangled human pastimes.Dragon Bound-Disc 10/Track25-1 point
✔12. Manly:Just his glorious half naked body...Evermore-Part 3(45:15)-1 point

Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter:1/1 ★★★★★
The Diviners by Libba Bray:1/7 ★★★★★
Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane:1/11 ★★★★
Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews:1/13 ★★★★
Evermore by Alyson Noel:1/17 ★★★★
Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich:1/17 ★★★★
Dragon Bound by Thea Harrison:1/19 ★★★★★
Blindsighted (Grant County, #1) by Karin Slaughter The Diviners (The Diviners, #1) by Libba Bray Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews Evermore (The Immortals, #1) by Alyson Noel Notorious Nineteen (Stephanie Plum, #19) by Janet Evanovich Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison

message 50: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) Letter N Points: 12 POINTS COMPLETED!

General
1. Book TitleNo Rest for the Wicked1/26/13 **** stars1 POINT
2. Author (Brenda Novak)Of Noble Birth1/17/13 *** stars 1 POINT

January Specials

7. New...it was all (love) so new to him. Now that he had her love..."p.289The Recruit1/15/13 **** stars 1 POINT
11. Hobby"...he is a man with one passion and no, ah, hobbies?"p.103Jade Island1/22/13 ***1/2 stars 1 POINT
12. Manly "This newfound manly forcefulness is very unnerving..." p. 231The Queen of New Beginnings1/25/13 ***1/2 stars1 POINT

The Rake by Mary Jo Putney Blood Sins (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #11) by Kay Hooper Deadly Game (GhostWalkers, #5) by Christine Feehan An Affair with Mr. Kennedy (The Gentlemen of Scotland Yard, #1) by Jillian Stone Of Noble Birth by Brenda Novak The Recruit (Highland Guard, #6) by Monica McCarty Jade Island by Elizabeth Lowell The Queen of New Beginnings by Erica James No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, #3) by Kresley Cole

« previous 1