Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > Help! I need a new series/book to read!

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by S.B. (last edited Dec 24, 2012 02:25PM) (new)

S.B. Roozenboom | 27 comments Okay, so my new years resolution is to try and read more. I'm going to finish Finale by Becca Fitzpatrick but after that I don't know what to read and I really dont want to go out and stare at a bookshelf and go "uhhh hmmm okay guess I'll pick this one."

So!

Here's what I'm looking for:
Must be young adult
Good, sweet romance
Some comedy
Good, solid plot
I'd like it to be a paranormal read, but it doesn't have to be.

Suggestions now please!!! :D

message 2: by Louisa (last edited Dec 25, 2012 01:38AM) (new)

Louisa Klein | 3 comments Hi! Well, *cough*, there's my book 'Supernatural Freak*. It tickes all the boxes, only it's more new adults than ya. Already had very good reviews, three posted here on Goodreads... And you can win an IPAD 3 if you buy it before Xmas! Here's the link to the book: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15...
Here is the giveaway link: http://www.goodreads.com/event/show/8... Supernatural Freak by Louisa Klein

message 3: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Beth Fantaskey Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side (Jessica, #1) by Beth Fantaskey
Alex Duval Bloodlust (Vampire Beach, #1) by Alex Duval

message 4: by C.C. (new)

C.C. | 219 comments Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead by Richelle Mead
Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins by Rachel Hawkins

message 5: by Saba (new)

Saba What genre do you like?

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
Have you tried the series Boys that Bite. PN-lite, and definately YA. In addition to the vamps you also get Fae and were's. Plus the odd Druid or two. . .

Also, while NOT PN, try I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You is again, a light-hearted look at "growing up spy." I thought it was probably what the kids from the Spy Kids movie would be doing when they hit their teens.

message 7: by Allison (new)

Allison | 247 comments The Iron Fey series is my favorite YA I think. The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori (lori_hayes) | 45 comments Read Lancaster House by Taylor Dean.

Paris        (kerbytejas) (kerbytejas) | 112 comments first choice for a new read - awesome series
Dominion (Dominion, #1) by S.E. Lund Ascension (Dominion, #2) by S.E. Lund Retribution (The Dominion Series, #3) by S.E. Lund

next option for a great read
Raphael (Vampires in America, #1) by D.B. Reynolds Jabril (Vampires in America, #2) by D.B. Reynolds Rajmund (Vampires in America, #3) by D.B. Reynolds Sophia (Vampires in America, #4) by D.B. Reynolds Duncan (Vampires in America, #5) by D.B. Reynolds Lucas (Vampires In America #6) by D.B. Reynolds

message 11: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 76 comments I was really considering the Dominion series, but I was wondering if it was all about a love triangle, and if it was all sex. I mean, I keep seeing rave reviews, but not sure if it's my thing.

message 12: by Paris (kerbytejas) (last edited Dec 31, 2012 09:59AM) (new)

Paris        (kerbytejas) (kerbytejas) | 112 comments Brianna wrote: "I was really considering the Dominion series, but I was wondering if it was all about a love triangle, and if it was all sex. I mean, I keep seeing rave reviews, but not sure if it's my thing."

its about love (but not a traditional love story), control, vampires, a threat to the world, it has mystery, tension, its dark and dangerous. its just an awesome series
it makes you feel, question, get angry, have favorites, change your mind...and yes there is sex.
this is NOT a YA book - it is for adults

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary (booksaremychocolate) | 3 comments S.B. wrote: "Okay, so my new years resolution is to try and read more. I'm going to finish Finale by Becca Fitzpatrick but after that I don't know what to read and I really dont want to go out and stare at a bo..."

You asked for YA. I bought this series for myself ShiverForever and Linger and left it on my desk at school. The 9th grade girls spied it on my desk and begged to read it. I finally got it back before Christmas break and I don't really like it, but they loved it.

message 14: by Christina (new)

Christina (channelle_writes) | 1 comments S.B. wrote: "Okay, so my new years resolution is to try and read more. I'm going to finish Finale by Becca Fitzpatrick but after that I don't know what to read and I really dont want to go out and stare at a bo..."

I liked The Host by Stephanie Meyer. Check it out if you haven't read it yet. It's YA, not really comedy but an overall good read.
The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 538 comments Sweet Blood of Mine (Overworld Chronicles #1) by John Corwin

And it's free on smashwords, told from a male POV

message 16: by Debi (new)

Debi (debisattic) | 157 comments S.B. wrote: "Okay, so my new years resolution is to try and read more. I'm going to finish Finale by Becca Fitzpatrick but after that I don't know what to read and I really dont want to go out and stare at a bo..."
I just read 3 books by Kimberly Frost in the Southern Witch Series. Maybe Sookie Stackhouse meets Stephanie Plum. Humor and romance. Nice change from the darker books. Would-Be Witch

message 17: by Desiree (new)

Desiree | 1 comments hasn't anyone read the house of night series?!? i am beyond addicted...and I only have 2 more books to go and then I will be very sad and I will have to find something else to read.

message 18: by Kelleigh (new)

Kelleigh (goodreadscomsunshine2047) Desiree wrote: "hasn't anyone read the house of night series?!? i am beyond addicted...and I only have 2 more books to go and then I will be very sad and I will have to find something else to read."

Des, I've heard so many mixed reviews of HON... I'm guessing the positives outweigh the negatives? I'd really like to read it just need a little encouragement.

:)

message 19: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 76 comments Paris, thanks for the information. I may try it. It's not that I mind sex, because I don't(I mean, I love the Fever series, so yeah). I just don't like where it's all sex, and no plot. From your description though, I can see that this isn't the case with the Dominion series.

message 20: by Travis (last edited Jan 09, 2013 04:56PM) (new)

Travis Luedke (twluedke) | 31 comments Awesome Young Adult paranormal fantasy with a good splash of romance:

The Steward (Weald Fae Journals, #1) by Christopher Shields

I loved this book, and I definitely will be reading the second in the series, "The Changeling".

This is one of those novels that virtually anyone would enjoy, young and old both, and its very well written. I gave it 5 stars http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Check it out.

message 21: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Doidge | 39 comments Hi!

Have you tried Kelley Armstrong's YA series?

The first trilogy starts with The Summoning and the second trilogy is two books in now.

I liked them a lot. I also like her adult series.

Ninab (Honesty is the Best Policy)  | 137 comments Love love love Blackwell's Timber Wolves series:
Destiny Binds (Timber Wolves Trilogy, #1) by Tammy Blackwell Time Mends (Timber Wolves Trilogy, #2) by Tammy Blackwell Fate Succumbs (Timber Wolves Trilogy, #3) by Tammy Blackwell

Also like Battista's Moon series which starts with Leopard Moon (Moon, #1) by Jeanette Battista

Along more of the dystopian/apocalyptic side,
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee (one of my all-time favs) and Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth

Irene ~ Ice Cold Passion (icecoldpassion) | 201 comments Shiver from Maggie Stiefvater is awesome! Thickes all the boxes I think. I like the fact that is was written from both characters sides.

message 24: by Brittney (new)

Brittney | 3 comments Ignite by Kaitlyn davis great read sweet love story....

message 25: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments it's not YA, but it is pretty clean language and sex wise that it's pretty darn close, and it's funny. Deals with a lot of dysfunctional family issues, vampires, ghosts. Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (Jane Jameson, #1) by Molly Harper

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I suggest you to read the Blue Bloods Series By: Melissa De La Cruz, and also read the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Series By: Laurell K Hamilton, please inbox me on gr's, i also need books to read.

message 27: by Silvia (new)

Silvia try Ender's game by Orson Scott Card.

message 28: by Lori (new)

Lori (lori_hayes) | 45 comments read Shade from Jeri smith Ready. then their Shine and shift to the series. its a bout ghost but its very cool.