Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > The series I picked but dropped after the book one or two

Comments Showing 1-50 of 108 (108 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Yasmine (last edited Dec 28, 2012 02:16AM) (new)

Yasmine Nouri (jazzmina) | 8 comments Have you ever started reading a new series but got disappointed and put it aside? These were the series which I read only the first book of:
Boys that Bite (Blood Coven Vampire, #1) by Mari Mancusi The Blood Coven
Heart of the Wolf (Heart of the Wolf, #1) by Terry Spear Heart of the Wolf
Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #1) by Lara Adrian Midnight Breed
Covet (The Fallen Angels, #1) by J.R. Ward Fallen Angels
Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Jaz Parks, #1) by Jennifer Rardin Jaz Parks
I also read 2 books from Keri Arthur's Riley Jenson Guardian Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian, #1) by Keri Arthur and Kissing Sin (Riley Jenson Guardian, #2) by Keri Arthur but couldn't continue. Also dropped Goddess Summoning Series by P.C. Cast after 3 books and Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassins after 4 books. I also started Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine, #1) by Lilith Saintcrow but was totally disappointed by it and left it half finished.
I wanted to know if any of mentioned series were worth continuing? If they get any better? and I'd like to know the series you started reading but didn't live to your expectations.

message 2: by Yasmine (last edited Dec 23, 2012 12:45PM) (new)

Yasmine Nouri (jazzmina) | 8 comments I also noticed the similarities between the 2 series. I wonder if it's deliberate or coincidence. J.R. Ward is great. BDB simply gets better & better with each new book.

message 3: by Martina (new)

Martina | 1 comments I did like The Jaz Parks serie by Jennifer Rardin but I didnt think it got better, actually thought it the first books was the best.
Series I didnt finished are.
Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #1) by Maggie Stiefvater. I got the serie as a tip from a friend but barely finished the first book.

message 4: by Lauren (last edited Dec 23, 2012 12:52PM) (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Of the two vampire series - Breeds and BDB - Lara Adrian's is, for me, simply fantastic both in terms of characterization, world building and plot development.

Aside from the characters, BDB is a huge miss for me. The story arc is childish and the world building mediocre. I'm a plot focused reader and when I find myself skipping huge sections that bore me, I know the series isn't for me so I stopped after book #3.

Haven't tried the authors series but I look forward to giving them a go.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I used to LOVE BDB, the last few books haven't been very good. I've been holding out for the next and then done. Any series that doesn't have a clear end game isn't going to work for me. At some point it just becomes clear the author is milking the cash cow and the product suffers. JR Ward, Lora Leigh, and Christine Feehan are the first names that come to mind. I didnt get very far in the House of Night Series. The first book was pretty good, but went downhill from there.

message 6: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 76 comments I really liked the Jaz Parks series. I'll have to come back and think of some series I decided to quit.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 407 comments ACRO Series by Sydney Croft. I only read the first book, it seemed really disjointed and even the sex scenes couldn't save it. Funny, because i love Larissa Ione's (one of the writers in the Sydney Croft partnership) Demonica and Horsemen series.

message 8: by Arwen (new)

Arwen the immortals- didn't like it
13 to life- want to start up again
French Kiss- 2 predictable

Danielle Book Boss (daniellebookboss) BDB fell off a little for me as well but I'm back on it now and excited to read the next one.

Ones I've started that haven't continued and am not interested in continuing:
Argenaeu - people kept saying it was funny but I found
A Quick Bite (Argeneau, #1) by Lynsay Sands to be juvenile and corny.

Warriors of Poseidon by Alyssa Day - just underwhelming.

Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon by Yasmin Galenorn - hmmmmm I forced myself through the first three because like a fool I bought them all at once.

I like the Midnight Breed Series though it definitely had to grow on me and I don't rush to buy them as soon as they come out. I'm currently reading the latest release.

Another that almost turned me off from a series that used to be great was Fantasy Lover (Dark-Hunter, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon , I've pretty much given up on Sherrilyn Kenyon because the series is so schizophrenic but up to a point it was great.

message 10: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (tralo29) Vampire Diaries was great for the original books, then LJ Smith returned to the series with several new books. wasted time things just got to out there. elena flying, Caroline looks like a lizard crawling on the floor. crazy twins in a snow globe. then in the next book rescuing stephan from the underworld...I gave up......

message 11: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere Aisley Grey by Katie McAlister
Primes by Susan Sizemore
Undead/Queen Betsy by Mary Janice Davidson

These are series I have no intentions of revisiting !!

message 12: by Ternelljade (new)

Ternelljade I couldn't get through the Queen Betsy or Aisley (sp?) Grey series of books either.

message 13: by Lorelle (new)

Lorelle (lozza2407) Ternelljade wrote: "I couldn't get through the Queen Betsy or Aisley (sp?) Grey series of books either."

Ezinwanyi wrote: "Aisley Grey by Katie McAlister
Primes by Susan Sizemore

These are series I have no intentions of revisiting !!"

same for me on Aisley and Queen Betsy! I doubt ill be going back for book 2

message 14: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 114 comments I read the Jaz Park's one but it was an good read but no real interest in reading the rest. Same with Elle Jasper Afterlight (Dark Ink Chronicles #1) by Elle Jasper i think the rest look interesting but have never picked them up. I've read the first for the DBD but never carried on. Same with Allison Pang's series A Brush of Darkness (Abby Sinclair, #1) by Allison Pang and Teri Garey Dead Girls Are Easy (Nicki Styx, #1) by Terri Garey the rest sound interesting and I won't say that I won't pick them up just not a priority over other books that I'm really interested.

message 15: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) The only book series I've properly gave up on so far (as in hands down refuse to read any more) is Darren Shan.

The Vampire's Assistant - I read two and really disliked both. No idea why I even read the second.

message 16: by Rinou (new)

Rinou | 44 comments I put aside the series after these first books:
A Quick Bite (Argeneau, #1) by Lynsay Sands , Heart of the Wolf (Heart of the Wolf, #1) by Terry Spear , Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong , Trial by Fire (Firefighters of Station Five, #1) by Jo Davis

message 17: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 374 comments I did not continue Heart of the Wolf (Heart of the Wolf, #1) by Terry Spear It just did grab me and make me want to turn the page.

Also, Nightlife (Cal Leandros, #1) by Rob Thurman it just didn't move me.

message 18: by C.C. (new)

C.C. | 219 comments I chose not to continue on with Immortals After Dark series. I stopped at A Hunger Like No Other- The insta-sex, rape scenes and sexual assaults kinda threw me off.

I also stopped reading Charley Davidson Series, I ended it on Second Grave on the Left. It wasn't that bad but I just thought that there was no wow factor in the story. Also, I can't feel any chemistry with the main characters. I also don't get how she fell in love with him.

There's also The Mortal Instruments, I read it until The City of Glass. I've read the reviews of the next books but they were bad. It adds to the fact that I am completely contented with the conclusion in book 3.

Furthermore, the series that I stopped and refused to read after just one book are:

The Forest of Hand and Teeth by Carrie Ryan- I hated the main character
Thirst by Christopher Pike- I thought the book/plot was ridiculous.
Daughter of Smoke and Bone- I found it boring. Too much flash backs.

I'm hoping I could gather my strength and at least try to give these series another go but MEH maybe some time in the long future.

message 19: by Mochaspresso (last edited Dec 24, 2012 01:28PM) (new)

Mochaspresso  | 9 comments The Vampire Academy books. It may be due to the fact that I didn't start with the first book. I tried to read Blood Promise and couldn't get into it. I wasn't moved to read any more of the series.

message 20: by S.B. (new)

S.B. Roozenboom | 27 comments I'm such a picky reader. I read the book City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare but just thought it was too dark for my taste and not enough romance. I then tried to read Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate but felt like the main guy character was a jerk and it seemed like a book that built and built then nothing overly exciting happened. The phrase "much ado about nothing" comes to mind.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Mocha Spresso wrote: "The Vampire Academy books. It may be due to the fact that I didn't start with the first book. I tried to read Blood Promise and couldn't get into it. I wasn't moved to read any more of the series."

I really liked Vampire Academy and I don't love YA. Reading in order probably does make a difference since the world and relationships are established in book 1.

message 22: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Aisley Grey by Katie McAlister
Primes by Susan Sizemore

These are series I have no intentions of revisiting !!"

I grudgingly continued the Queen Betsy series, but after book 9 I just couldn't continue it. I tried You Slay Me by MacAlister but didn't finish it. I couldn't get through book 2 in her Dark One series.

message 23: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Some series you need a brake from until the mood strikes. I read the first 8 of the BDB series when they came out, but kept putting 9 & 10 off (had book 9 almost a year). Finally the mood was right and I read them both this fall & liked them.

message 24: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) I'm the same with the most recent 2 (maybe 3?) DBD books. I've read them all soon as but these.. avoiding...

message 25: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 451 comments I read the first 3 of the Queen Betsy books and don't care if I don't read any more. I tried to read the first of the Night Huntress books and stalled out after the first chapter since I really (really) didn't like Cat though I liked the Night Huntress World books well enough. I adored Soulless but had no desire to read the rest of the series. I've come to the conclusion that I'm really not cut out for slogging through a long series-three or four books seems to be my limit.

message 26: by Rinou (new)

Rinou | 44 comments I forgot about Immortals after Dark. I read the first and liked it okay, but I couldn't finish the second No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, #3) by Kresley Cole , as I had a strong feeling against the heroine. I didn't try the others.
I read the first of BDB series, and liked it, but didn't feel like reading the others.
The same with the LOTU series: I was hooked, but the third, The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld, #3) by Gena Showalter threw me out. I didn't try the others neither.

message 27: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
I couldn't get through book 1 of the BDB books--I DID finally get persuaded to read the second--it only took 3 weeks, which for me is an amazingly long time. But I think that Ward is over-rated and has no skills for anything EXCEPT ideas. She should come up with the ideas and sell them to someone who can write better than she can (the local Catholic School here has several third graders who could take over her writing.)

I've given up on LKH (Laurell K. Hamilton). I had enjoyed her early works, but the last 5 or 6 (or is it 7 or 8) years she's gotten sloppy and arrogant, so I've quit buying her works.

Have to agree about Bitten.

And also the Yasmine Galenorn books. Altho I did like her PN-mystery series. But the straight pnr's, nope, don't like those at all.

message 28: by Robin (new)

Robin S.B. wrote: "I'm such a picky reader. I read the book City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare but just thought it was too dark for my taste and not enough romance. I then tried to read Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate but f..."

Agree samehete

message 29: by Robin (new)

Robin Rinou wrote: "I forgot about Immortals after Dark. I read the first and liked it okay, but I couldn't finish the second No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, #3) by Kresley Cole, as I had a strong feeling against the heroine. I ..."

It's funny some of the books in those series are slow but since I was chattingwithgoodreads friends I kept going. BDB can get slow but omg what a great series same thing with IAD
I read Succubus book 1 ok not enough romance or even hot lusty scenes
So I tried others. I also after reading sookie and Queen Betsey stooped the books went no where

message 30: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) | 319 comments Mod
I feel like I am almost the only one who didn't like the fever series.

I read Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning , I thought it was a romance and was sorely disapointed. Mac lacked substance and Barrons was just a jerk. I was told over and over it got better so I tried Bloodfever (Fever, #2) by Karen Marie Moning , with lower expectations. It was worse than the first.

message 31: by Katie (new)

Katie (jessesgurl) | 68 comments does anyone have good things to say about The Vampire Queen's Servant (Vampire Queen, #1) by Joey W. Hill ? or the psy/changeling series? neither of them have tripped my trigger and the VQS has gotten amazing reviews. I agree with The Fallen - can't stand it but then again YA isn't my thing! Maybe the movie will be better!

IAD is one of my favorite series of all time but I can see how some of the books are better than others. Some of the BDB are my favorite books of all time but some of them have made me want to give up entirely.

message 32: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Dawn (Kat N Hat) wrote: "I feel like I am almost the only one who didn't like the fever series.

I read Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning, I thought it was a romance and was sorely disapointed. Mac lacked substance and Barrons..."

You are not the only one that did not like the Fever Series. I found it boring myself. I could not even finish the first book. I don't get all the fanfare....

message 33: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "I couldn't get through book 1 of the BDB books--I DID finally get persuaded to read the second--it only took 3 weeks, which for me is an amazingly long time. But I think that Ward is over-rated an..."

I cannot take LKH sex orgy writing anymore. She fills the holes in her novels with all kinds of sex. Anita Blake started awesome and then deteriorated into a free for all sex romp story....not my taste.

message 34: by Lisa Anne (new)

Lisa Anne (lisamessegee) | 120 comments I try to give a series a good chance before I drop it. I read more than one book, because the first book is often the weakest.

That said, here are a few examples. I only finished:
5 books of BDB by J.R. Ward
3 books of The Carpathians by Christine Feehan
3 books of Breeds by Lora Leigh

I know that some of these series are favorites of others. Some of my favorite series are mentioned as dropped by others. To each her own!

message 35: by Robin (new)

Robin Katie wrote: "does anyone have good things to say about The Vampire Queen's Servant (Vampire Queen, #1) by Joey W. Hill? or the psy/changeling series? neither of them have tripped my trigger and the VQS has gotten amazing rev..."

I agree with you some them especiallymPhurys book was so slow!

message 36: by Robin (new)

Robin Lisa Annesley wrote: "I try to give a series a good chance before I drop it. I read more than one book, because the first book is often the weakest.

That said, here are a few examples. I only finished:
5 books of BDB b..."

I think impish my self to read through it some more than others. To me the biggest disappointment was Sookie I just felt she lost the point ofnthenbook. I heard it got better but well I just interest.

message 37: by Yasmine (new)

Yasmine Nouri (jazzmina) | 8 comments It seems personal taste is very important in this matter. Many of you mentioned series that are adored by many but you were bored by them, like Fever series! This one is my favorite too. It seems that I have to depend on "general consensus" first if I want to pick a new series. It's difficult to decide most of the times with all different opinions and reviews, anyway.

message 38: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 451 comments Everyone has different tastes/expectations when choosing books. I know that if I really dislike a main character, that's it for me. This makes it difficult when a novel is written in first person POV. If I "hate" the narrator, I'm sure not going to want to spend an entire novel in his/her head. If I like the narrator, then bring on the series, first person POV or not!

message 39: by Robin (new)

Robin Sandra J wrote: "Everyone has different tastes/expectations when choosing books. I know that if I really dislike a main character, that's it for me. This makes it difficult when a novel is written in first person..."

I agree. If I read a book based on thread and I am 3 or 4 books in I will ask the person what is going on usually I will find thatbyounare 4 is slow but fi ish it or you won't understand boom 5. If I am I. Book 1 and it is not for me than it just isn't every thing can't be for me. I use to push through but if my mind is wondering and I am not reading there is a reason. I love a good story and well if it it oesnt grab me another one will. I do try to read samples if the thread I got the book from is not a goodreads friend.i find most people on goodreads are honest but no one can step into your heart and soul and pick the perfect book for you. Lately I have been rereading books.

message 40: by Paris (kerbytejas) (last edited Dec 28, 2012 06:06AM) (new)

Paris        (kerbytejas) (kerbytejas) | 112 comments Dawn (Kat N Hat) wrote: "I feel like I am almost the only one who didn't like the fever series.

I read Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning, I thought it was a romance and was sorely disapointed. Mac lacked substance and Barrons..."

no i read all of the books but didn't like the series - it was hard to read and keep track of everything happening
I did love Barrons though

message 41: by Tracy T. (last edited Dec 28, 2012 05:56AM) (new)

Tracy T. | 252 comments I used to be obsessive about finishing series I've started, but I've relaxed since then. There have been times where I've given up on a series and then went back and read the rest and ended up loving it. It really has to do with my frame of mind.

I've given up after 1 book:

The Body Finder (The Body Finder, #1) by Kimberly Derting A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle, #1) by Libba Bray Nightlife (Cal Leandros, #1) by Rob Thurman The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1) by Michael Connelly Laney (The Brookehaven Vampires, #1) by Joann I. Martin Sowles The Synthesis (Powerless, #1) by Jason Letts Truly, Madly (Lucy Valentine, #1) by Heather Webber The Turning (Blood Ties, #1) by Jennifer Armintrout Kiss of Fire (Dragonfire, #1) by Deborah Cooke

After multiple books:
Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Jaz Parks, #1) by Jennifer Rardin The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next #1) by Jasper Fforde Blood Song (Blood Singer, #1) by Cat Adams Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White Street Magic (Black London, #1) by Caitlin Kittredge City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare Bloody Jack Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy (Bloody Jack, #1) by L.A. Meyer Another Faust (Another, #1) by Daniel Nayeri Atlantis Rising (Warriors of Poseidon, #1) by Alyssa Day .

I'm also really close to giving up on the In Death series after 4 books, but if I take a long break between books, I'm okay. No series should go on for 40 books.

message 42: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I've also finished the Fever series and do not get the hype. The writing is repetitious and disjointed, and Mac is a frivolous twit. While other readers seem to believe that she matures, I just don't see it.

Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning is both the worst and best book in the series. The worst because of the first 1/4, which just drags on and on (the rambling does continue elsewhere but not as bad as here), and the best because of Barrons, who is the one saving grace of the series and the reason I kept listening.

message 43: by Paganalexandria (last edited Dec 28, 2012 07:43AM) (new)

Paganalexandria  | 238 comments 1. I can not do the Carpathians Dark Prince (Dark, #1) by Christine Feehan . They are too stalker-ish for my tastes.

2. Yasmine Galenorn's Witchling (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon #1) by Yasmine Galenorn bored me after book two but completely lost with book three.

3. I couldn't even finish Joey W. Hill's The Vampire Queen's Servant (Vampire Queen, #1) by Joey W. Hill .

4. Sometimes a paper book in Amazon's under $5.00 section is there for a good reason The Sword (Sons of Destiny, #1) by Jean Johnson .

5. This books blood ejaculations only allowed me twenty pages in Staked (Void City, #1) by J.F. Lewis .

6. I liked the first book in JR Ward's angel series Covet (The Fallen Angels, #1) by J.R. Ward but the second one lost me. I stopped liking BDB after Phury's book Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6) by J.R. Ward when the best thing about the series was dismantled in my opinion.

7. I like Nalini Singh's angel series but was bored to tears with Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling #1) by Nalini Singh despite everyone telling me how great it is.

8. I also don't like Jacquelyn Frank's Jacob (Nightwalkers, #1) by Jacquelyn Frank .

message 44: by Allison (new)

Allison | 247 comments I know most disagree with these two, but I didn't finish either...
Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon
Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison

I stopped the Kitty series about 4 books in. I stopped Allie Beckstrom after one book. I can't really get into Lords of the Underworld or Immortals after dark either. I've read most of House of Night but it is losing me.

message 45: by PNR lover (new)

PNR  lover | 430 comments Dawn (Kat N Hat) wrote: "I feel like I am almost the only one who didn't like the fever series.

I hated the dark fever series, it took weeks to finish this series but I was determined to finish it to see what all the fuss was about. Mac and Barrons have to be the most irritating characters I've ever read. So no you are not alone in not enjoying this series

message 46: by Tracy T. (new)

Tracy T. | 252 comments I thought of another series. I couldn't read any more books after One For The Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) by Janet Evanovich . I'm from NJ; we are not like that.

message 47: by Karin (new)

Karin Shah | 49 comments I gave up on the Black Dagger Brotherhood. The endings were satisfying, but I wasn't enjoying it while I read it (if you know what I mean)

The Immortals After Dark on the other hand, I adore. Especially No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, #3) by Kresley Cole . I loooove Sebastian.

Just goes to show you everyone is different.:-) I try to keep that in mind while I read my reviews...

message 48: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Katie wrote: "does anyone have good things to say about The Vampire Queen's Servant (Vampire Queen, #1) by Joey W. Hill? or the psy/changeling series? neither of them have tripped my trigger and the VQS has gotten amazing rev..."

I read the first in the Vampire Queen series, finished it but haven't bothered with the rest of the series. Every time a plot appeared, it disappeared for more bondage or torture. I've been thinking of giving book 2 a chance. I'd heard great things about the series too

message 49: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Allison wrote: "I know most disagree with these two, but I didn't finish either...
Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon
Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison

I stopped the Kitty series about 4 books in. I stopped Allie Be..."

I read book 1 in the Kitty series, & more like skimmed book 2, then gave up on the series

message 50: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments This is starting to make me wonder about my reading tastes. I've read BDB, IAD, Argeneau, Dark Hunter, Carpathian, Riley Jensen, Jaz Parks, Midnight Breed series. I'll admit that I have not read the last 2 Dark Hunter books, or MB's last 2 books, and I had the last 2 BDB books for almost a year before I read them.

« previous 1 3