Start by marking “Marked (House of Night, #1)” as Want to Read:
Marked (House of Night, #1)

Marked

(House of Night #1)

3.80  ·  Rating details ·  406,642 ratings  ·  13,677 reviews
Also see: Alternate Cover Editions for this ISBN [ACE]
ACE #1

After a Vampire Tracker Marks her with a crescent moon on her forehead, 16-year-old Zoey Redbird enters the House of Night and learns that she is no average fledgling. She has been Marked as special by the vampyre Goddess Nyx and has affinities for all five elements: Air, Fire Water, Earth and Spirit. But she is
Paperback, 1st edition, 306 pages
Published May 1st 2007 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Marked, please sign up.
Justina Furman I love the house of night series they are my favorite books. Its ok if you dont like them but if you keep reading further you will get more and more…moreI love the house of night series they are my favorite books. Its ok if you dont like them but if you keep reading further you will get more and more attached to the books I did it might not work for everyone but it worked for every one i recomended them too. (less)

·  406,642 ratings  ·  13,677 reviews

Haleema
Jul 01, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: What is this? Recommend it to someone? NEVER!
Beware of spoilers! (But then again, just don't read this book.)

Warning: This review is just me being very negative. In no way will this review sound intelligent and well written. Therefore, if you wish to continue, you may.

Anyway, I will start all the way from the beginning. There are so many things I'd like to point out.

I pick up the book. I see the cover. It's a picture of half a girl's face. I'm guessing that's Zoey. Whatever. I look at the back. There is a comment from Gena Showalter on the top that says:

"From the moment I stuc
Tiffany
Oct 13, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody.
Read about half of it. Hated it. I'm returning the rest to the library.

The authors tried to make so many references to pop culture, they sounded ridiculous, and then were even proud of themselves for "sounding like teenagers," as they stated in the preface. Dumb. They tried to make moral lessons out of the life of this "fledgling," and had her reject things like Paris Hilton's weight, oral sex amongst teenagers, and Ashton Kutcher unfortunately liking older women. Oh, and the world w
Mel
Jun 05, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Mel by: The masochist in me
This was how the book started. The first two pages literally went like this:

Tweeny 1: "ZOMG like -insert some teeny bs gossip here-"

Tweeny 2: "ZOMG like no! -more teeny gossip and more OMGs-"

Tweeny 1: "ZOMG like yeah."

All of a sudden some macho vamp guy stands in the hallway, points at teeny no #1 and is like "ZOEY YOU HAVE BEEN CHOSEN TO BE THE MAIN CHARACTER IN A BOOK THAT IS SO NOT TRYING TO BE LIKE TWILIGHT BUT YEAH YOU HAVE BEEN CHOSEN."
Jackie
Oh, I liked this book SOOOOOOOOO much better than the Stephanie Meyer series--these kids are smarter, more diverse, less whiny and far more intersting. Add to that a new version of vampirism, and it's a completely winning combination. The story telling is top notch, the characters are interesting, and the book is compelling start to finish. I can't wait to dive into the next in this series!

And I have to admit I'm intrigued by the concept of a mother/daughter writing team, especially
Saniya
Lets get straight to the point here.
This book was weird, disgusting and epic fail at the same time.
Let me tell you the whole story in pictures.
Enjoy :)
(I don't know why, but some of the pics are not coming, sorry for that!)

MARKED -THE REAL STORY.
Once upon a time, there was this stupid, smart-ass girl named Zoey who was marked as a vampyre. But don't worry my fellow readers! She was special ...in failing.

Then this fail-example-of-women got an annoying boyfriend, Hevampre.that!)
MARKED
Wendy Darling
Hypersexed, boy-crazy, annoying teens. Plus some uninteresting supernatural stuff every once in awhile. For a series that involves so many teenagers having sex, these books sure aren't very sexy.
Danielle.
Okay, I'm going to be posting gifs on this review because this book was just too much.
My overall expression after reading up to 150 pages:

I wish I could give this 'no star' or something of the sort. I don't even know where to begin with this 'book'. It was retched, horrible, disdainful, etc. etc. P.C. Cast as well as her daughter's writing is childish. All the girls had blonde hair (auburn-blonde, strawberry-blonde, blonde, curly blonde, etc.
Taneika
Jun 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
About 5 years ago when I first read this series, I powered through them and while I recognised they were problematic, I still consider them a guilty pleasure (the books are just so BAD and fun)
1.5 stars are purely for how trashy/fun this book was.
This was SUPER problematic though which made me cringe, a lot.
It's homophobic (yes I know there's a gay character but the 'joke' at the beginning saying he isn't really a guy because of this is really really fucking bad), it has plenty of slut shamin
Janvi
Dec 21, 2011 rated it did not like it
Not recommended - Slut shaming, and actual depictions of non-consensual sex present.
Nasom
Jul 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
Full Review

Wow, I really hated this book, more specifically, I hated Zoey. I can't believe there are 12 books of her as the MC. This is where I stop with this series

- First of all, Zoey is such a hateful person. I don’t think I have read about an MC that radiates such negative energy in my life. This girl calls every girl she doesn’t like terrible names like bitches, hags, sluts, hos. She thinks she is somehow better than them. Her group of friends are like her and there was no one
Wildbriar

To be quite honest, I almost don't know what to say, or how to say it. I read just under half of Marked this morning, then set it gently aside and stared at the wall in a numb silence for a while. Perhaps, in hindsight, I should have thrown it. Marked is, quite simply, the worst book I have ever read in my entire life. Forget one star, this book has achieved negative stars from me.

The horror began with the Acknowledgements. P.C. Cast actually thanked her daughter for making sure the
Penny
I know, I can't believe I read this book either. What's worse? I've read all of them--the six that have been published. Why? Because I'm a moron, that's why.

Seriously, this is the worst YA vampire--I mean vampyre--series I've read (so far). While there are elements in this series that are interesting, it's nothing special. I mean, vampyres that control the elements? Come on! Richelle Mead already did that, just much, much, much better. Much better.

Why not just write a book about witche
Lina
Aug 05, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People who want to be insulted
Recommended to Lina by: Vloggers
Miranda
Feb 16, 2009 rated it did not like it
This probably one of the worst books I have ever read... It was horrible. The writing was stupid. If you like to read a grown woman try to talk like a teenager then this is for you.. I hated it. I mean I felt stupid after reading some of this. They compared people to Paris Hilton, and Ashton Kutcher, they brought oral sex into and they didn't just briefly talk about it they made it stretch out over a couple of chapters. This mother/daughter writing team needs to rethink working together again. M ...more
Katy Johnson
Sep 23, 2008 rated it it was ok
This was a really quick read, made even quicker by skipping over the pages of repetitive neo-pagan-vampyre rituals (which I could have done entirely without). The author is clearly trying to win over the wiccan-teen demographic, while appealing to those who loved the Twilight series.

What bugged me most about this one was the author's attempt to address every controversial teen issue imaginable, while instilling good morals without being condescending. She managed, but honestly, the random comme
Mel (who is deeply in love with herself)
The easiest rating I've ever given a book. Let us please bury the fact I gave Marked four stars upon first reading; I was only 14 or 15 at the time and in that stage of adolescence-- the fangirling, over-excitable stage which no person wants to look back on. Gah. So embarrassing.

But then, a few days ago, I stumbled upon Marked again in the library. I was curious as to what I'd think of the book now I'd grown up a bit (in both senses of the word). And my brother was still trying to hunt down a big fat textbook for his Internati
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Oct 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
16 year old Zoey has a crappy home life, an almost-ex-boyfriend who drinks too much, a best friend who's shallow and a geometry test tomorrow. But all this matters for naught when she is Marked by a Vampyre Tracker and must move to the House of Night school in Tulsa, Oklahoma, for four years while her body undergoes the Change into a Vampyre - or rejects it and she dies.

This is a new and original take on the Vampire legends, and mixes in matriarchy and goddess-worship with pleasing e
Anushka
{1.5 Stars}

Okaaaay. So my theory is this - Overly hyped books like House of Night and Mortal Instruments were released near 2005 when there were very few YA Fantasy books and that's the reason these books are so famous. I mean, people are totally crazy about HoN & MI even though there are many books which are much better than these.
So, House of Night.
This book had a weak plot, weak as in pointless plot.

Why did Zoey get 'Marked'? And why especially by the Goddess Nyx?
The author didn't have any theory; she just had/>Why
Brooke Watson
Mar 01, 2009 rated it did not like it
This book was so bad, I wanted to quit reading it, but then I could not have fairly rated it. So despite my better judgment - I read on, wincing all the way!

Marked tries so hard to be hip - but "like totally" fails. I know you have to be careful when choosing YA books. Some of it is great - it resonates with those of all ages. And some of it, like this book, is YA crap.

The main character was also very poorly created. She enjoyed reading the horrid Gossip girl series, yet
Savina M.
EDIT: 28/03/14 I finally remember what Marked reminds me of. It reminds me of that horrible Harry Potter fanfiction My Immortal. They're basically the same, except Marked has much better spelling. (Thankfully).

Well, hell. I finished Marked.

Marked is not the worst book I have ever read. Halo still tops that list. But, damn, I haven't rolled my eyes so much since...since anything, actually. I actually took the liberty to tab every single annoying line inMarked.
Annie
May 16, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: The slum of society
Shelves: crap, paranormal, vampires, ya
This is – literally – the worst (published) book I have ever read in my life. Every time I so much as think about this book, or this series in general, I suddenly have the urge to take a nine iron to an old lady, or set a kitten on fire or something else just as random and pointless that won’t actually solve my hatred towards this piece of crap but will help release some of my anger because Zoey is only a fictional character and I can’t actually kill her will a dull axe. *deep breath* It’s times ...more
Britt
Jul 18, 2008 rated it it was ok
Typical teen story in which there is a black and white delineation between the heroes and the villains, and you will never mistake one for the other. Our heroine comes from a troubled family, longs for a place to belong, is marked as incredibly and shockingly extraordinary amongst her new peers, butts heads with the queen of the school who is also the flatly drawn villainess, immediately catches the eye of the hottest guy at school who is also the ex of our villainess, shows remarkable powers an ...more
Aura
Jul 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horrible
**For more reviews, contests, interviews, book news and more go to my blog:

Shambles, an absolute bloody shambles is how I can best describe this book.I don’t know what was worse, the tacky and unsympathetic attitude towards eating disorder victims, the blasé attitude towards male rape (the hallway scene, imagine the gender roles reversed and you’ll see how sexist it is) , or the constant usage of the words slut
Thomas
Mar 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: No one
Marked is one of the worst written books I've read in a long, long time. It is incomprehensible how an intelligent and/or civilized person could enjoy a book like this. Although it's understandable how someone could get swept up in the average, mundanely composed storyline, the writing - oh man, I think I might have lost a few brain cells. Hopefully reading this book hasn't permanently damaged my own writing.

One of the most annoying things was Zoey, the main character, had a tendency to th
Naomi
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow I couldn't put this book down! At first I was hesitant reading it because it looked like a total cliche vampire story (which it totally was) and I'm not into vampire stories usually but it was addictingly good! I recommend this book for anyone who's into paranormal girly-ness
Sophia Triad
"Zoey Montgomery! Night has chosen thee; thy death will be thy birth. Night calls to thee; hearken to Her sweet voice. Your destiny awaits you at the House of Night!”

Well, several years have passed since the first time I read this series. I remember that it was very entertaining and so unbelievably addictive. I wanted to read one book after the other nonstop.
And I did.

I read the first books in greek translation and the rest in their original version because they hadn't been translated. I don
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Sep 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mature teens
Recommended to UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish by: I saw this series at the bookstore and decided to check it out.

A very easy read. I wasn't sure if I wanted to read this book, but the first sentence, "Just when I thought my day couldn't get any worse, I saw the dead guy standing next to my locker.", got my attention.

The House of Night Series is yet another addition to the vampire/vampyre genre. Veering off of the traditional vampire path, in this series, vampyres are chosen and Marked, not Changed by being bitten, and not all those who have been Marked actually live through the Change.

In Marke
Melodie
Feb 14, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2009, ya-fiction
This book was recommended to me by my niece. I got her started with vampire books sometime back with Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse books. And I was the one who introduced her to Twilight. She gave me one of Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy books & I liked it, so figured this series might be okay, too. WRONG!! Others have mentioned the preponderance of pop culture references, which was annoying. However, my main quibbles are with Zoey's "perfectness" and what seemed to me to be a major " ...more
Christina
Jun 02, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Awful. Awful, awful, awful. I got probably halfway through this, wanting to give it a fair go for reviewing purposes, and just couldn't continue.

Where do I start? Probably with the style of writing, which was the first thing that hit at me. Written from the point of view of teenager Zoey Redbird, the prose is so stereotypically teenage that I'm surprised this entire generation isn't throwing this book down in insulted disgust. Just because something was said by one teenager at one po
Question: Vampire Books from 2000-2009 2 3 Oct 18, 2019 04:19PM
House of Night-re...: Characters 1 1 Oct 15, 2019 11:16AM
Book Witches: House of Night Series by P.C. Cast + Kristin Cast 5 6 Oct 10, 2019 01:13PM
Marked Cards Poker 1 3 Sep 06, 2019 02:05AM
House of Night TV series? 57 746 Jul 28, 2019 03:33PM
HOUSE OF NIGHT MOVIE 305 2540 Jan 16, 2019 09:35AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Fade Out (The Morganville Vampires, #7)
  • Night World, No. 3 (Night World, #7-9)
  • Revelations (Blue Bloods, #3)
  • Girls That Growl (Blood Coven Vampire, #3)
  • Hourglass
  • Kissing Coffins (Vampire Kisses, #2)
  • House of Night #2 (House of Night: The Graphic Novel, #2)
  • Thirst No. 1: The Last Vampire, Black Blood, and Red Dice (Thirst, #1)
PC was born in the Midwest, and grew up being shuttled back-and-forth between Illinois and Oklahoma, which is where she fell in love with Quarter Horses and mythology (at about the same time). After high school, she joined the United States Air Force and began public speaking and writing. After her tour in the USAF, she taught high school for 15 years before retiring to write full time. PC is a #1 ...more

House of Night (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Betrayed (House of Night, #2)
  • Chosen (House of Night, #3)
  • Untamed (House of Night, #4)
  • Hunted (House of Night, #5)
  • Tempted (House of Night, #6)
  • Burned (House of Night, #7)
  • Awakened (House of Night, #8)
  • Destined (House of Night, #9)
  • Hidden (House of Night, #10)
  • Revealed (House of Night, #11)
“Actually, since I'm gay I think I should count for two guys instead of just one. I mean, in me you get the male point of view and you don't have to worry about me wanting to touch your boobies.” 666 likes
“Don't you think baby corns are scary? There's just something wrong about their midget bodies.” 422 likes