Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Author Challenge - Archived > A - Z Author Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by jaxnsmom (last edited Dec 22, 2012 04:05PM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 2457 comments Mod
This challenge will start January 1, 2013 and run through December 31, 2013

Using the letters A-Z read a book by an author whose first or last name begins with the corresponding letters.

Example:
A - Madelyn Alt
B - B.B. Haywood 1/4/13
C - Kate Collins
D -

The rules are as stated in the General Challenge Information topic.

message 2: by jaxnsmom (last edited Jan 06, 2013 09:09PM) (new)

I'm goin for it! Don't know what I'm going to read, and I'll probably post some possibles, but most as I read them.

message 3: by Randa (new)

Randa | 175 comments I'm in as well. Haven't decided what I will read either but it should be fun, especially since they don't need to be first book in the series.

A-
B-
C-

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) So, I guess this is for cozy mystery authors, right? I might be able to handle this one, also! Count me in! Now I wish I had my cozies separated on my bookshelves!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

We should all come up with a book to read for the month then discuss it!

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) I've now got my authors except for X, Y and Z, of course! Now to see what I already have on my shelves and what my library has!

message 7: by Ana (last edited Jan 11, 2013 02:31PM) (new)

Ana (momtomandj) | 33 comments Ok, I'll give it a try.

C=Cleo Coyle, Holiday Buzz
P=Andrea Penrose, Recipe for Treason
V= Elaine Viets, Murder is a piece of cake

message 8: by jaxnsmom (last edited Jan 04, 2013 06:41PM) (new)

Randa, Ann, Shayna and Ana - Glad to see you joining in! I thought I might be the only one. I see Ann has set up her reporting thread. Now the rest of you should set up a reporting thread. That way your alphabet will be easy for you to update, and everyone else to see how you're doing.

Some W and Y authors:

http://www.cozy-mystery.com/Authors-W...

message 9: by jaxnsmom (new)

Shayna - every month we have two books to read for group discussion. This folder has all of our group reads. I hope you'll join in the current books, and feel free to comment in earlier book threads.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_...

message 10: by jaxnsmom (last edited Jan 04, 2013 06:50PM) (new)

***When adding books to your list, please use the "add book/author" feature so the rest of us can easily check them out.***

I know if I see a book I'm not familiar with, I like to click on it and see what it's about and read some reviews. And a lot of times I'm too lazy to want to type out the info :)

message 11: by jaxnsmom (new)

Additional Info

For X and Z, you can use a name that has those letters in it. I know there are some Alexander's, don't know of any names with Z offhand. If anyone finds some, let us know!

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) I'll be giving this a go... Thanks for the additional information - it will make X and Z soooo much easier! :)

message 13: by jaxnsmom (new)

Glad you're participating Jennifer!

message 14: by Randa (new)

Randa | 175 comments Do we have to do this in ABC order or any order as long as we hit all 26 letters?

message 15: by jaxnsmom (new)

Any order!! I figure since we're limiting this as muxh as possible to cozies, that's enough to deal with. I'm doing an Alphabet Challenge in another group where we have to read in ABC order, and I'm already going insane with the planning.

message 16: by Christina (new)

Christina I'm going to try this!!!! I love cozy mysteries!!! I have read quite a few but most I would reread in a heart beat!

message 17: by jaxnsmom (new)

Yay Christina. I bet you'll find some great new series this way.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Do we post our progress here in this thread, or start a new thread in this folder for our individual challenge and update that?

message 19: by jaxnsmom (new)

❂ Jennifer wrote: "Do we post our progress here in this thread, or start a new thread in this folder for our individual challenge and update that?"

Start your own topic in this folder.

I've got to get some reading done soon. Jingo was keeping me busy, and now I'm at my Dad's and we've been busy. I'm going to read some tonight if I don't fall asleep too soon.

message 20: by Randa (new)

Randa | 175 comments Ok I'm clueless, the answer is here somewhere I just don't know where....how do I create a folder in the challenge??

message 21: by jaxnsmom (new)

At the top, where it says Discussion Board, to the right you'll see topics: all/new/unread. Click on new. For topic, enter the name of your challenge thread. For folder, select Challenges. You'll need to enter something in the comment box, and you're ready to post.

message 22: by Randa (new)

Randa | 175 comments Jaxnsmom Thanks!!!

message 23: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 491 comments So glad to have some cozy challenges! I'm in and have set up my challenge page. Thanks Jaxnsmom.

message 24: by Deb (new)

Deb (deb56) I plan on doing this too. Sounds like fun now if I can figure out how to post what I am reading I will get started

message 25: by jaxnsmom (new)

Deb, first you need to set up your own topic (see message 21). Then you can use the add book/author feature to post your books. If you need any help, just ask! I'm glad you're participating.

message 26: by Deb (new)

Deb (deb56) jaxnsmom wrote: "Deb, first you need to set up your own topic (see message 21). Then you can use the add book/author feature to post your books. If you need any help, just ask! I'm glad you're participating."

Ok I think I opened the folder right but now when I want to add authors and books how do I update? Sorry for all the dumb questions but I am not a computer person, usually my grandkids help me

message 27: by jaxnsmom (last edited Jan 30, 2013 09:39AM) (new)

At the bottom of your post, on the right, one of the choices will be edit. Click on that and you'll be able to update your entry. Oops, I notice I didn'tmention edit in my prior post, so that one's on me :)

A lot of us learned how to do things on GR by asking! Everyone is very helpful. Now you'll be able to answer the question for someone else :)

message 28: by Deb (new)

Deb (deb56) jaxnsmom wrote: "At the bottom of your post, on the right, one of the choices will be edit. Click on that and you'll be able to update your entry. Oops, I notice I didn'tmention edit in my prior post, so that one..."
Thanks for the help jaxnsmom. I hope I did it right. I put in the books I know I will be reading but will have to find some for the rest of the alphabet. This will be fun and I will get a chance to branch out from the authors I usually read.

message 29: by Deb (new)

Deb Novack (goodreadscomgoodreaddruidgirl) | 4 comments I am going to try this challenge this year. Going to set it up now.

message 30: by jaxnsmom (new)

Glad you're joining us Deb (druidgirl)!

message 31: by Karen (new)

Karen (xkamx) | 440 comments This sounds like a lot of fun. I'll see what I can do with my reading. Reading strictly to hit A to Z will be a challenge to my obsessive compulsions... I tend to start on a series, read what's available in that series, then move to the next -- interrupted only by new additions to series I've already started on. :o)

message 32: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 22 comments Sorry, posted this in the wrong thread, relocating it to the proper thread now.

What if we read 2 books by the same author? Can we use the same author twice? For example you read 2 books by Joanne Fluke, can we use her name for the J and the F?

message 33: by jaxnsmom (new)

Lynne wrote: "Sorry, posted this in the wrong thread, relocating it to the proper thread now.

What if we read 2 books by the same author? Can we use the same author twice? For example you read 2 books by Joanne..."

As long as you read two books, then sure, they'll both count.

message 34: by jaxnsmom (new)

Karen wrote: "This sounds like a lot of fun. I'll see what I can do with my reading. Reading strictly to hit A to Z will be a challenge to my obsessive compulsions... I tend to start on a series, read what's ava..."

Starting in March, there'll be a challenge that might help with that :)

message 35: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 22 comments Thanks jaxnsmom,that clears things up. This should be a fun challenge. Count me in :)

message 36: by Cathryn (new)

Cathryn Ferrara (xtracate) | 16 comments I hope I'm not too late to join in, this sounds really fun.

message 37: by jaxnsmom (new)

Glad to have you join in Cathryn!

message 38: by Jaxie (new)

Jaxie (jax53) | 76 comments I'm going to try this challenge, figuring it's still almost half year and i might still have a chance. Now just to make sure all of my book i read this year before joining the challenge, do they qualify or i need to re-read them again? Thanks for the info :)

message 39: by jaxnsmom (new)

Anything you've read from the start date of the challenge counts, January 1st for this one, and March 15th for the Title Challenge. Glad to see you participating!

message 40: by Jaxie (last edited Jan 01, 2014 06:03PM) (new)

Jaxie (jax53) | 76 comments Ok, here it's my list :
A: Avery Aames 04/16/2013
B: Juliet Blackwell 03/25/2013
C: Chris Cavender 02/11/2013
D: Vicki Doudera 07/04/2013
E: Edie Claire 12/13/2013
F: Joanne Fluke 01/05/2013
G: Ginny Aiken 05/11/2013
H: Jennifer Harlow 06/25/2013
I: India Ink 10/09/2013
J: Sue Ann Jaffarian 04/18/2013
K: Karen MacInerney 08/12/2013
L: M. Louisa Locke 09/12/2013
M: Cricket McRae 07/27/2013
N: Janet Neel 10/17/2013
O: Catherine O'Connell 10/28/2013
P: Katherine Hall Page 12/12/2013
Q: Spencer Quinn 12/28/2013
R: Delia Rosen 06/19/2013
S: Sheila Connolly 08/06/2013
T: Nancy Jill Thames 01/01/2014
U: Nicola Upson 11/11/2013
V: Victoria Laurie 09/12/2013
W: Lois Winston 04/13/2013
X: Cynthia Baxter 12/24/2013
Y: Yasmine Galehorn 11/7/2013
Z: Elizabeth Peters 12/29/2013

It looks like I need to 'diversify' my authors list. This may be harder to achieve than the tittle one. But we'll give it a try

message 41: by Jaxie (new)

Jaxie (jax53) | 76 comments I'm finally updating my to-read list with possible titles/authors.I'm going for both challenges and just realised there are only a few authors of cozies starting with Q. Never thought of it til now! :)

message 42: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 182 comments Too late for me to jump into this challenge, but I'll be checking out some of the authors listed in people's threads! What a fun idea.

message 43: by Jaxie (new)

Jaxie (jax53) | 76 comments I would appreciate if someone would share some options for Y and Z, the authors I found on the website , I cant find them in my local library and my book budget is maxed out so i would like some options that I might be able to borrow. Thank you so much for your help. Happy Reading!!! :)

message 44: by jaxnsmom (new)

Rebecca wrote: "Too late for me to jump into this challenge, but I'll be checking out some of the authors listed in people's threads! What a fun idea."

It's never too late! You can go back and count books you've read since January 1st.

message 45: by jaxnsmom (new)

Jaxie wrote: "I would appreciate if someone would share some options for Y and Z, the authors I found on the website , I cant find them in my local library and my book budget is maxed out so i would like some op..."

I have one Y author on my tbr - Suzanne Young, who writes a series with herbalist Edna Davies.

message 46: by Jaxie (new)

Jaxie (jax53) | 76 comments Thanks @jaxnsmom. i'll look for it at my local library :)

message 47: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) Cozy Mystery Corner - A - Z Author Challenge
January 1, 2013 and run through December 31, 2013
Progress 12/26

A The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party
by Alexander McCall Smith
4/26/13 ****
B A Royal Pain
by Rhys Bowen
3/17/13 ****
C My Heart May Be Broken, but My Hair Still Looks Great
by Dixie Cash
1/25/13 *****

D

E Artifacts
by Mary Anna Evans
5/15/13 ****

F

G Just Desserts
by G.A. McKevett
8/11/13 ****
H Death Of An Obnoxious Tourist
by Maria Hudgins
7/19/13 ****

I

J Just Add Trouble
by Jinx Schwartz
5/31/13 ****
K Brush with Death
by Karen MacInerney 6/10/13 ****

L

M The Man in Lower Ten
by Mary Roberts Rinehart 3/6/13 ****
N The Hot Flash Club Chills Out
by Nancy Thayer
6/3/13 *****

O

P A Fatal Grace
by Louise Penny
4/22/13 ****

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y Murder by Yew
by Suzanne Young
8/31/13 *****

Z

The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party (No.1 Ladies Detective Agency #12) by Alexander McCall Smith A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2) by Rhys Bowen My Heart May Be Broken, but My Hair Still Looks Great (Domestic Equalizers Book 2) by Dixie Cash Artifacts (Faye Longchamp Mystery #1) by Mary Anna Evans Just Desserts (A Savannah Reid Mystery #1) by G.A. McKevett Death Of An Obnoxious Tourist (Dotsy Lamb, #1) by Maria Hudgins Just Add Trouble by Jinx Schwartz Brush with Death (The Gray Whale Inn Mysteries, #5) by Karen MacInerney The Man in Lower Ten (Librivox Audiobook) by Mary Roberts Rinehart The Hot Flash Club Chills Out by Nancy Thayer A Fatal Grace (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #2) by Louise Penny Murder by Yew (An Edna Davies Mystery, #1) by Suzanne Young

message 48: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) Question:
If you read more than one book by an author may you use both beginning and last initials for 2 books?

message 49: by jaxnsmom (new)

I suppose you can.

message 50: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments A)Haunting Jordan P.J. Alderman
B)A Veiled Deception Annette Blair
C)A Body in the Backyard Elizabeth Spann Craig
D)The Diva Runs Out of Thyme Krista Davis
E)The Lost Gardens Anthony Eglin
F)Fool’s Puzzle Earlene Fowler
G)Final Sentence Daryl Wood Gerber
H)Death on Demand Carolyn G. Hart
I)
J)Too Big To Miss Sue Ann Jaffarian
K)
L)Buttonholed Kylie Logan
M)Death’s Autograph Marianne MacDonald
N)
O)
P)Crocodile on the Sandbank Elizabeth Peters
Q)
R)Murder at a Murder Mystery Weekend
David W. Robinson
S)Thursday Morning Breakfast (and Murder Club)
Liz Stauffer
T)A Case of Imagination Jane Tesh
U)
V)
W)Strictly Murder Lynda Wilcox
X)
Y)
Z)

« previous 1