Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Monthly Reading Challenges > March 2009 Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 403 (403 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

message 1: by Yz the Whyz (last edited Feb 20, 2009 04:25PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 1020 comments Mod
With 8 days left with February, I'm unveiling March 2009 Reading Challenge, inspired by the Paranormal Excellence Award for Romantic Literature or PEARL Awards.

It's weird because I have planned since early February that the next challenge will be based on the P.E,A.R.L. Awards, and just very recently a thread about it has been started.

Read one book for each category:

1. ANTHOLOGY - The collection must have paranormal elements in 50% of the novellas.

Paranormal Romance:
Plots must focus on the development of an exclusive romance between two main characters which must be positively resolved (HEA) by the end of the story. Secondary plots may continue within a series however couples can only recur in subsequent novels as secondary characters

2. FANTASY/MAGICAL Romance - Story takes place in the natural world but featuring beings [mythical or real:] with unnatural abilities. Stories may include visits to other realms. This category also includes ghosts and psychics. *

3. FUTURISTIC Romance - Stories in this category require the main plot to be set in a time far enough into the future for there to be significant developments (changes) in culture as we know it, or the introduction of an otherworldly culture which affects the contemporary world - plot involves two romantically linked central characters.

4. SHAPESHIFTER Romance - Books in this category include beings that have the ability to take on different forms one of which must be human. Werewolves, Selkies, and others.

5. TIME TRAVEL Romance - Stories in which main character[s:] travel to a time period other than their own. Can be historical, contemporary, or futuristic in setting.

6. VAMPIRE Romance- Darker and generally more sensual, these stories feature preternatural beings who subsist on human and/or animal blood, or life force (in the case of psychic vampires) often having magical powers and the ability to transform.

Romantic Paranormal Fiction:
Plots focus in world building and speculative elements. Most often published outside of the romance genre, with the focus on a central character - the plot must involve romance. Series may have a recurring main character. Must contain romance as a secondary plot element; however a resolution (HEA) is NOT required. Romantic interest of the main character can recur or vary in subsequent novels

7. Romantic FANTASY: This category includes traditional Fantasy which is set in wholly imaginary landscapes, and alternate history (a.k.a. historical fantasy). Stories draw imaginatively on speculation in the plot and setting.

8. Romantic SCIENCE FICTION & FUTURISTIC FANTASY - Stories involve speculations based on current or future science or technology as the plot focus or involve a futuristic setting which is significantly different from the world as we know it.

9. Romantic URBAN FANTASY: Fantasy in which supernatural elements are introduced into contemporary, real-world, urban settings

If you feel like researching more and getting ideas, check this site www.paranormalromance.org.

Challenge Duration: March 1 - March 32, 2009

You can put your tentative list up...but no reading yet until March 1st for these books.

message 2: by Yz the Whyz (last edited Feb 28, 2009 09:26AM) (new)

Yz's March Challenge List

1. Anthology
An Enchanted Season
2. Fantasy/Magical Romance
Atlantis Rising - Alyssa Day
3. Futuristic Romance
Gabriel's Ghost by Linnea Sinclair
4. ShapeShifter Romance
Hostage to Pleasure - Nalini Singh
5. Time-Travel Romance
Dark Seduction - Brenda Joyce
6. Vampire Romance
Dark Curse - Christine Feehan
7. Romantic Fantasy
One Foot in the Grave - Jeanine Frost
8. Romantic Science Fiction/Futuristic Fantasy
Dead to the World - Charlaine Harris
9. Romantic Urban Fantasy
Blood Bound - Patricia Briggs

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
eech--not sure what all I have to meet this challenge. But sign me up anyway. :o) Will have to start searching the book lists and a quick visit to Amazon on Feb. 28 is clearly required. (Have to wait for payday.)

No idea on the books yet, but hey, I didn't really have any idea for any of the OTHER challenges either.

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

1. Anthology On The Prowl
2. Fantasy/Magical Romance Kiss of a Demon King
3. Futuristic Romance
4. ShapeShifter Romance
5. Time-Travel Romance
6. Vampire Romance La Vida Vampire
7. Romantic Fantasy

Ok, I've gone over my Amazon "wish list" and these are books that are on it that are either already out or come out the end of Feb or beginning of Mar. Just have to figure out the REST of the categories.

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

anyone have suggestions? Altho I have two that I am going to suggest for those of you who haven't read them yet--set in the future--Beast Master's Ark. The time travel one would be "Firehand" also by Andre Norton. (Yes, I AM trying to convert you into Norton fans. :oP)

I guess I could read them again (for the 15th or so time) but I want to try to stick to "new" titles as much as possible for these challenges.

message 6: by Barbara ★ (last edited Mar 29, 2009 01:35PM) (new)

Barbara ★ 1. Anthology Immortals: The Reckoning -Nash/Ashley/Popp 3/18
2. Fantasy/Magical Romance Magical Bites - Ilona Andrews 3/9
3. Futuristic Romance Memory in Death - J.D. Robb 3/14
4. ShapeShifter Romance Howl at the Moon - Christine Warren 3/27
5. Time-Travel Romance Dark Victory - Brenda Joyce 3/1
6. Vampire Romance Highland Thirst - Hannah Howell/Lynsay Sands 3/28
7. Romantic Fantasy A Mermaid's Kiss - Joey W. Hill 3/26
8. Romantic Science Fiction/Futuristic Fantasy Circle of Magic: Sandry's Book - Tamora Pierce
9. Romantic Urban Fantasy Heart of Stone - C.E. Murphy 3/18

I don't usually categorize my books so these are new to me. If anything is in a wrong category, just let me know and I'll revise. Thanks.

message 7: by Yz the Whyz (new)

The distinction between the categories are pretty blurry, so I'm going to leave it up to you guys to decide. I'm not strict about anything. For me, the challenges are meant to be fun, and simply to give us more reason to read.

Have fun, ladies.

message 8: by Melissa (last edited Mar 06, 2009 11:10AM) (new)

Melissa I have a huge pile of books that I own that I haven't read yet, so this was easy, I just needed to pick specific titles for each category. The anthology category will get me back on track with the Dark Hunter series.

1) Tapestry (Kurland, Hunter, Moning, Kenyon) 3/5 * * * *
2) Night Embrace (Sherrilyn Kenyon)
3) Countdown (Michelle Maddox)
4) Kiss of Fury (Deborah Cooke)
5) *turns out To Tame a Highland Warrior is the one book in that series that does not have time travel in it! I'll be choosing something else.
6) Vampire, Interrupted (Lynsay Sands)
7) Warprize (Elizabeth Vaughn) 3/2 * * * * *
8) Grimspace (Ann Aguirre)
9) Howling at the Moon (Karen MacInerney)

message 9: by Lori (last edited Feb 21, 2009 07:14AM) (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Here's my list. A couple of these are carry overs from a February challenge...

1. Anthology - Sexy Beast II Anthology
2. Fantasy/Magical Romance - The Smoke Thief by Shana Abé
3. Futuristic Romance - Caresssed By Ice by Nalini Singh
4. Shapeshifter Romance - Wolf Tales II by Kate Douglas
5. Time Travel Romance -Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
6. Vampire Romance- In The Blood by Adrian Phoenix
7. Romantic Fantasy - Bound by Blood by Jordon Lane
8. Romantic Science Fiction & Furturistic Fantasy - Gabriel's Ghost by Linnea Sinclair
9. Romantic Urban Fantasy - One Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

message 10: by DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:30AM) (new)

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 737 comments Hmm... this one is tricky. I don't have anything futuristic or sci/fi that contains romance - not that I'm aware of anyway. And will Gideon count for Romantic Fantasy since they spend some time in their own land? And I'm expecting there to be some chaste YA appropriate romance in Glass Houses, but I have no idea. LOL

1. Anthology
-- The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance
2. Fantasy/Magical Romance
-- Dime Store Magic - Kelley Armstrong
3. Futuristic Romance
-- Naked in Death - JD Robb
4. ShapeShifter Romance
-- Second Skin - Cailtin Kittredge
5. Time-Travel Romance
-- Morrigan's Cross - Nora Roberts
6. Vampire Romance
-- Ravenous The Dark Forgotten - Sharon Ashwood
7. Romantic Fantasy
-- Gideon - Jacquelyn Frank
-- Grimspace - Ann Aguirre
-- Desire Unchained - Larissa Ione

message 11: by Jacalyn (new)

Jacalyn | 454 comments Holy Crap.

I'm signing up but I haven't a CLUE what's on my shelf to read that will fit these bills. MOM??????? HELP!!!!! 99% of these you've read. You will need to help me pick out books!!

I'm signing up but I'm not sure what will happen. LOL I'm pretty sure I have an anthology or two, so that's great. But other than that I'm just unsure. But I'm willing to give it a go!

(And thanks a freaking lot. I have books that folllow up from THIS month's challenge that I wanted to read that I'd hoped would fit into this new challenge. Pbbbbbbt to you for spoiling my fun! hehehehehe j/k)

Another great challenge... now i better get back to Feb... I'm about a third of the way through book 6!

message 12: by Yz the Whyz (last edited Feb 21, 2009 05:41PM) (new)

LOL..Lady Ozma, don't let the formal-sounding genre names intimidate you..LOL..I'm sure most of the books you read last month which series you might like to continue can be place in any of these categories.

LOL..I guess, part of the fun, is the pick-and-choose aspect, of deliberating which books deserves to be read from our ever-increasing TBR pile.

message 13: by Jacalyn (new)

Jacalyn | 454 comments YZ, My problem is most of mine aren't really "romance" books. So I took a good long look at my books today and a bunch I was like 'Ooooh!" and then I had to put them back. I couldn't see hide nor hair of romance in them. *SIGH* But I've got four or five already selected. I'm hoping they will work. One is a follow up to a book from this month. so YAY!!! :)

I'll figure it out, I'm sure!

I do have an ARC coming in from a contest I won. So I'll be reading it as soon as it gets in. I'm hoping that it will work well with this contest somewhere but I dunno... LOL

I did decide that whatever happens, I'm going for 9 again. Even if I don't make the challenge topics (like because of that ARC). It is definitely giving me an interesting way to dig through the TBR! It's exciting!

So... once more... THANKS!!!!

Oh yeah, while I am grumbling and whining - I do understand this month's challenge and I think it is great you are supporting the PEARL Awards. I didn't know they even existed before this thread. So your promoting them has been good for that! :) I don't ever catch award stuff. I don't even watch the Oscars or anything. (Hello, it's a bad night of television, why pass up a great reading op?) Half the time whatever movies are up for awards I've never seen. I probably don't have any PEARL award nominee/winners in my stack (but who knows!) but I think that's real cool. I am tempted to check just to see... LOL Cause it might be a good way to pull books! :)

What's holding me back? The fear of seeing books I have never heard of that I just HAVE to get and increasing that TBR exponentially instead of clearing it! LOL

message 14: by Angie (new)

Angie My tentative list which will probably change:

1. Anthology: Men of the Otherworld - Kelley Armstrong
2. Fantasy/Magical Romance: Dream Warrior - Sherrilyn Kenyon
3. Futuristic Romance: Crimson Rogue - Liz Maverick
4. ShapeShifter Romance: Cry of the Wolf - Karen Whiddon
5. Time-Travel Romance: Warrior - Angela Knight
6. Vampire Romance: Kiss Me Deadly - Michele Hauf
7. Romantic Fantasy: Fire Study - Maria V Snyder
8. Romantic Science Fiction/Futuristic Fantasy: Keeping It Real - Justina Robson
9. Romantic Urban Fantasy: Bone Crossed - Patricia Briggs

message 15: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 146 comments Guess thats where I differ Lady, I love to add to my TBR pile. Even if it gets bigger and bigger instead of dwindling. Because that means I will never run out of books to read! :D

message 16: by Jacalyn (new)

Jacalyn | 454 comments Tricia, I dont' mind adding to mine, however I don't have room for books or the budget to buy any. So I've put myself on a "if I can't borrow it or get it off PBS I'm not allowed to buy it". I gotta clear this TBR down to under 200 books. LOL I have an entire bookcase that's double stacked right now. There's just no more space. LOL

I used to have this hard fast rule. Once I had like 20 books I'd not allow myself to the store. Worked well and then my books got together and turned into tribbles. LOL

Seriously, I have well over 200 books. I homeschool my two kids. I can't read this many books in a year. I haven't broke 60 books in one year in a dozen years. See my problem? LOL

message 17: by Mickey (last edited Mar 18, 2009 12:17PM) (new)

Mickey | 5 comments Lori, this is directed at you... The Smoke Thief is so good! I loved that book, along with the others in the series. Just thought I would put that out there. I love it so much, that I am going to add it to my book list to re-read (I don't know if re-read counts, but I hope it does:).
For some reason I have been in the mood to re-read a few books, and I have been adding them to a list. A lot of those re-reads happen to fit these categories. Damien, The Smoke Theif, New Moon, Cry Wolf, and Dark Fire are some of those re-reads.
1) Anthology: Immortals the Reckoning by Jennifer Ashley 3/17/09
2) Fantasy/Magical Romance: The Smoke Thief by Shana Abe 3/4/09
3) Futuristic Romance:Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon 3/15/09
4) Shapeshifter Romance: Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs 3/10/09
5) Time Travel Romance: Dark Rival by Brenda Joyce 3/12/09
6) Vampire Romance: New Moon by Stephanie Meyer 3/8/09
7) Romantic Fantasy: Damien by Jaquelyn Frank 3/14/09
8) Romantic Science Fiction & Furturistic Fantasy: Heart Fate by Robin D. Owens
9) Romantic Urban Fantasy: Dark Fire by Christine Feehan 3/6/09

message 18: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Re-reads are more than fine for the challenges...

message 19: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

For those of us who are too lazy to do the actual looking up of who won what in the PEARL awards, Oz did it for us. However, she didn't send it to the list, so here it is. Along with if I have already read it--I was surprised how many of them I had already read. Which means that I'm now scrambling to find more books. :o)

Anthology:
Honorable Mention is The Magical Christmas Cat by Nalini Singh, Lora Leigh, Erin McCarthy, Linda Winstead Jones

The winners are a 2 way tie
Blood Lite by Sherrilyn Kenyon, Jim Butcher, Kelley Armstrong, Charlaine Harris I have this one on my shelf. Have this one, read it and passed it to Oz.
Dead After Dark by Sherrilyn Kenyon, Susan Squires, J. R. Ward, Dianna Love, Again, have this one, read it and THINK I passed it to Oz

Best FUTURISTIC Romance –
Honorable Mention is ... Heart Fate by Robin D. Owens
Winner is.... Dark Light by Jayne Castle

Best FANTASY/MAGICAL Romance
Honorable Mention is... The Darkest Pleasure by Gena Showalter
Winner is... Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Best VAMPIRE Romance
Honorable Mention is... Wait Till Your Vampire Gets Home by Michele Bardsley Have read all the OTHERS in this series--how did I miss THIS one? Well, have added it my list to pick up for this challenge
the Winner is.... Lover Enshrined by J. R. Ward

Best TIME TRAVEL Romance –
Honorable Mention is... Twist by Colby Hodge
Winner is... Viking Unchained by Sandra Hill Have read this, its now at Oz's house for her to read. I have enjoyed the entire series. Altho I have to admit, my favourite one is "The Very Virile Viking" mainly because I just LOVED all the kids.

BEST NEW AUTHOR
Honorable Mention is..... Jocelynn Drake
and the Winner is... Ann Aguirre

Best SHORT STORY/NOVELLA
Honorable Mention is.... "Kung Fu Shoes" in These Boots Were Made For Stomping by Jade Lee
"Story of Son" Dead After Dark by J. R. Ward Have the collection of stories this is in, and enjoyed it greatly.

Best SCIENCE FICTION & FANTASY
Honorable Mention is.... Dragonborn by Jade Lee
nd the Winner is.... Shades Of Dark by Linnea Sinclair

Best SHAPESHIFTER Romance
2 Honorable Mentions Honorable Mentions are: Hotter After Midnight by Cynthia Eden and Rogue by Rachel Vincent
the Winner is..... Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs Have read all the Mercy books, plus a bunch of other books by Briggs. This one has been added to the (getting longer and longer) list of books to get on the first.

Although Patricia Briggs 'novel is actually Urban Fantasy most identified it as shapeshifter. We will have a separate category for
Urban Fantasy next year and the categories descriptions will be very specific. New category descriptions at http://paranormalromance.org/Award.htm

Favorite OVERALL PARANORMAL
Honorable Mention is.... One Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene Frost
and the Winner is.... Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon Have read other things by Sherrilyn Kenyon, but not this one. It too has been added to the incredibly LONG list of books to order on the first. The library where I live (my branch, at any rate) has been being remodeled and seriously expanded for the last year, so its been hard to get to it to check out books.

Sigh, so many books, so little time. Gotta get back to work on the quilt I'm making as a wedding present for my youngest nephew.

message 20: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Thanks McKayla. That's good to know. I've had it on my shelf for awhile, originally planning on reading it for a Feb. challenge. For some reason I kept passing it up for something else. Now I'm looking forward to reading it.

message 21: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments Lady: Books=tribbles is THE most fitting comparison EVER.

But looking at my overflowing shelves now, I'm considering upgrading mine to greedy gremlins. Soon I'll have to charge them rent.

Looking over evryone's lists reminds me I need to get crackin' and consider my own.

OMG. There's an anthology called Sexy Beast? And it has a sequel?! Hahaha!

message 22: by Jacalyn (new)

Jacalyn | 454 comments I already told my mother I got the PEARL information off this group. Maybe it was a different thread. I dunno. LOL

Michelle M, OMG I think it is PERFECT. They really do breed. They make bunnies look chaste. I mean it is bad. LOL So it's Tribbles or Gremilins. Depending on my mood, I interchange the two. LOL Don't get your books wet. Definitely don't feed them after midnight. When good books go bad........

There's some great books... I am still working on my list. Most i know for sure is I am definitely reading the Anthology winner Blood Lite.

I LOVE the title Sexy Beast. What a hoot. Sometimes these things have just killer titles. I love the title of Sapphire's new book: Getting Familiar With a Witch. Talk about excellent play. *pun definitely intended* I once read a book called "Bimbos of the Death Sun". I mean how do you pass up a book named THAT?

Sad, but yes, I do sometimes judge a book by its cover! *GRINS* If it's catchy you better believe I'm gonna pick it up! Sometimes it's really paid off! (Bimbos was an excellent read!)

message 23: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments Bimbos....of the....Death Sun

::gasp::

::peals of laughter::

message 24: by Gail (new)

Gail | 110 comments I LOVE Bimbos of the Death Sun as a title.

Okay, I'm going to plug my book here for somebody to read, cause it's coming out in MARCH: New Blood by yours truly will fit very nicely in the fantasy/magical romance category, or the romantic fantasy category. :)

Now for my list...I'm doing this at the dayjob, so I don't have access to my bookshelf or my eReader, cause I left it at home, and I haven't put the brand new books I bought on it yet anyway. But here's what I KNOW about so far:

1.Anthology
2.Fantasy/Magical romance - Kiss of a Demon King by Kresley Cole
3.Futuristic Romance
4.Shapeshifter - Mortal Sins by Eileen Wilks
5.Vampire Romance
6.Time Travel Romance
7.Romantic Fantasy
8.Romantic Science Fiction/ Futuristic Fantasy - Whatever Ann Aguirre's second book was. I've been wanting to read it.
9.Romantic Urban Fantasy

Okay, I'll update this when I get home.

message 25: by Gail (new)

Gail | 110 comments And now, I'm going to add a little post asking that--if you can--when you finish a book--can you tell us a little bit about it and if you liked it or not?

I find myself wanting to know about Greywalker, and--what was Rush of Wings about?

Not that I need more good authors to read...

message 26: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Michelle said: OMG. There's an anthology called Sexy Beast? And it has a sequel?! Hahaha!

Yep. There are actually 5 of them with the 6th set to release next month. Each one has a short story from the Wolf Tales books. The book covers are very interesting

message 27: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Gail, Rush of Wings was a great book. It's about an FBI agent investigating a serial killer. His latest victim gets killed next door to a nightclub owned by a vampire/rock star. It's dark and gritty but a really interesting story.

message 28: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments Whoa! I looked them up.

Dang, those are some nakkie men! Ooo la la!

message 29: by Jacalyn (new)

Jacalyn | 454 comments Guys, you gotta read Bimbos. It is FANTASTIC! Real awesome. I used to have a first edition, but I loaned it to someone to read and it never got returned. *SIGH* Thankfully it wasn't signed. It is a great tale. I'm not sure how to relate it to March, but man it's awesome. It is set at a scifi convention and an author gets axed. But he was a real jerkwad so everyone is a suspect. If you've ever been to a convention you'll really get the whole book. It's funny, it's got some romance, it's got a murder... :)

Gail - woah I just looked up your book. It sounds very interesting!! So thanks a freaking lot. Now I have yet another book to get. ;)

message 30: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments "Sounds" interesting? Definitely weren't my ears oogling the beefcake on the covers. Lord have mercy.

::fanning self::

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 737 comments I've mapped out my books for March's challenge and I'm definitely going to make a go of it, but I don't know how many I'll get through. There are a number of books on my shelf that I'm dying to read that don't fit either this or other challenges I'm hoping to participate in. There just isn't enough time. Maybe if they'd give me longer lunch breaks at work, I put even less effort into my course work and convinced my husband that me sitting next to him while engrossed in a book counts as "together time", then I'll get through them all. Fingers crossed! ;)

message 32: by Gail (new)

Gail | 110 comments I'm still working on my list, but I have some that will fit various categories on my shelf. And aha! I found an anthology! (Didn't think I had one, since I usually don't buy them--the stories are too short!)

1.Anthology - Beyond Magic, by Kearney, Cunningham and Sims
2.Fantasy/Magical romance - Kiss of a Demon King by Kresley Cole (Sony Reader book)
3.Futuristic Romance - Hmmm...
4.Shapeshifter - Mortal Sins by Eileen Wilks
5.Vampire Romance - The Undead Next Door by Kerrelyn Sparks (Ha! I found one!)
6.Time Travel Romance - haven't found one of these yet... I may substitute a historical paranormal
7.Romantic Fantasy - The Smoke Thief (I am DETERMINED to get this one read...)
8.Romantic Science Fiction/ Futuristic Fantasy - Whatever Ann Aguirre's second book was. I've been wanting to read it. Wanderlust Found it! Now I have to go buy it...
9.Romantic Urban Fantasy - Gale Force by Rachel Caine - Have it on my list for a different challenge. I can double up!

Wait--I think I saw a futuristic romance on my shelf. Let me go look again...

Yep, there it is: True Deception by Patricia Waddell.

Now I just need a time travel romance of some sort. I might have one of those...

So, my cleaned up list is:
1.Anthology - Beyond Magic, by Kearney, Cunningham and Sims
2.Fantasy/Magical romance - Kiss of a Demon King by Kresley Cole (Sony Reader book)
3.Futuristic Romance - True Deception by Patricia Waddell.
4.Shapeshifter - Mortal Sins by Eileen Wilks (Sony book)
5.Vampire Romance - The Undead Next Door by Kerrelyn Sparks
6.Time Travel Romance - TBD
7.Romantic Fantasy - The Smoke Thief by Shana Abe.
8.Romantic Science Fiction/ Futuristic Fantasy - Wanderlust by Ann Aguirre. (Sony book)
9.Romantic Urban Fantasy - Gale Force by Rachel Caine

Ought to be able to get those read...

Oh, and DarkHeart, I've convinced my fella that sitting next to him reading counts. He's usually watching TV, and he likes a lot of shows I don't like, so I read while he watches. Of course, we've been married 33 years in April, so...

G

message 33: by Kristen (last edited Mar 14, 2009 10:48AM) (new)

Kristen Harvey Here is my prereading list. Can anyone suggest some Futuristic and Sci-Fi romances to me? I read Hunger Games already, otherwise I'd use that one at least.

1. ANTHOLOGY - On the Prowl

2. FANTASY/MAGICAL Romance - Evermore The Immortals, Book 1 by Alyson Noel

3. FUTURISTIC Romance - Not sure

4. SHAPESHIFTER Romance - Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs

5. TIME TRAVEL Romance - The Highlander's Touch by Karen Marie Moning

6. VAMPIRE Romance- One Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

7. Romantic FANTASY: Heart of Lightby Sarah A. Hoyt

8. Romantic SCIENCE FICTION & FUTURISTIC FANTASY - Not sure

9. Romantic URBAN FANTASY: White Witch, Black Curse by Kim Harrison

message 34: by Yz the Whyz (new)

I haven't read much sci-fi romance, but I'm a big fan of Deidre Knight's Midnight Warriors series. It can be classified as Sci-fi and/or Time Travel.

Also Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling series, which I adore, can be put under scifi and/or shifters category.

message 35: by Gail (new)

Gail | 110 comments Yz, anything by Linnea Sinclair is great. An Accidental Goddess is probably my favorite of hers so far, but I've liked them all.

message 36: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey Those sound great, are they futuristic as well?

message 37: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey I'm already changing Romantic Fantasy to Beg For Mercy by Toni Andrews

message 38: by Gail (new)

Gail | 110 comments Which ones, Kristen?

I really liked the Mercy books by Andrews. I think the 2nd is weaker than the others, but they're still good reads.

message 39: by Jacalyn (new)

Jacalyn | 454 comments I'm still trying to fill out my books for March. For a sci fi romance though I'm going for Schism by Catherine Asaro. I really enjoy her books and have had this on my shelf for probably two years. If you haven't read any of her Skolian Empire books, this is me recommending it to you!

I think it's probably the only scifi romance I have. Unless McCaffrey's Changelings might work. Heck, I wouldn't really call Skolian as romance, they are har scifi. But she's always got a romance thrown in there as there is this almost werewolf drive to continue the species. (OK she generally relates it to salmon, but I think it's werewolf.)

My problem, I'm finding, is not being sure of what's going to be able to be claimed as "romance" on my bookcase. Like I'd love to read the second Mercy Book for shifter, but the first one didn't really have any romance in it. Will the second? *SIGH*

message 40: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey I'm starting a lot of new series, so I'm not sure if they'll all be romance. I thought the Mercy books were. Does anyone have any futuristic reads? I'll look into those sci fi suggestions and choose one this week.

message 41: by Jacalyn (new)

Jacalyn | 454 comments I didn't really see that much romance in the first Mercy book. I mean there was some recalling to her teenage romance. There was a date at the end. But it was really an action packed paranormal adventure.

Check out the Skolian empire books for futuristic. :)

message 42: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey Is the first one Primary Inversion? I'm still reading the first Mercy book.. because that has been on my list for a while.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 737 comments No, the Mercy series is light on romance, but has romantic interests. You get some romance in Bone Crossed (although not to a PNR degree), but early on she still has to decide which wolf is the right one for her. ;)

message 44: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments DarkHeart is right. Naturally-progressing, slow like normal people, romance for Mercy.

BUT if you look at the PEARL nominees pages, I believe you'll find that Patricia Briggs has been nominated in the past?

Over the weekend, I'm going to go over my books and then fill in with nominees from previous years, as listed on the PEARL site. It'll also encourage me to check out some new people!

message 45: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

SCI-FI/time travel romance--Andre Norton's book Firehand. Its actually book 4 in a series (with 2 more after it) but I think its still available at the bookstores. And its the first of her Time Travelers series with a serious romance interest (boy gets girl and they get married--on 2 different planets even) at the end of it.

And yes, I DID already pimp this one, but I love Andre Norton and thought that the day she died (St. Patty's day, 2005) should have been a day of global mourning. She was born in 1912 and her last book was published the month BEFORE she died. Her first book was published in 1929. So she had a really, really, REALLY long writing career.

If I wasn't determined to read all new books for all of these challenges, that would be one of my books for this challenge.

message 46: by Jacalyn (new)

Jacalyn | 454 comments Kristen, Primary Inversion is in that series. I'm not sure if it's book one or not. I read like the first four or five years ago and then couldn't find them for a while. They are good. I really recommend them. It was one of those classic cases of I read a book review and was like 'Woah this sounds great" and then saw "Book 7 of the ___ series" and went "CRAP!!!!". I had that happen with like four books right in a row. All were book 7. Talk about annoying me that suddenly I had 28 books on my "I wanna read list."

Then I read a review and went 'Ooooh" and was praying "Please don't be book 7 please don't be book 7." It wasn't. Yay! Oh no, it was part of a 20 part series. NOOOOO! *SIGH*

I did go look at the Pearl page. After mistankingly finding PEARL - a spiritual music award. Nice! Anyway, I noticed that book 2 of Mercy was a 2007 Honrable Mention so it's going on my list.

So here's what I've decided to do - I've got some that I know I'm going to read for sure. Like the second Tate Hallaway book for Vampire. (I read book 1 this month.) But I do seem to have access to this year's or last year's PEARL winners so I think I'll try to fill up my list from PEARL winners. I'm going to HOPE that this fills out my nine categories. I hope. :)

message 47: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey Well, it seemed like the first one, so I put a hold on it at my library and hopefully will get it in a week or so. A lot of the books on my list are currently out, so I had to place a slew of holds.

message 48: by Jacalyn (new)

Jacalyn | 454 comments Hopefully your hold will come up soon. Our library takes forever. Blah.

message 49: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey Shouldn't be too bad. It'll just hopefully pace my reading for me...

message 50: by Jacalyn (new)

Jacalyn | 454 comments HEHE There is that!! :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9