This is not The Haters Club You're Looking For discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
I hate reading bad books!

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Servius  Heiner

So I was feverishly looking for some new authors to read last time I ventured into my local book store. After scanning the shelves I settled on the Lord of Ice and shadows trilogy by: Sarah Ash. BIG mistake it has to be one of the worse books/series I have ever read. The story itself is not bad, just the character development and story construction along with a disjointed story line. The second books is a little better then the first, but still terrible.

Anyway, for some reason this made me think of Fooz’s statement of no good female authors. I felt compelled to concur. Then there were little thoughts oozing into my head; Elizabeth Moon, Ann Bishop, and the like.

Whatever, I decided to start doing random book searches on GR using a single word; Today’s word: Manifesto, I found three books to add to my to-read list. This of course doesn’t save my current predicament. I will just have to hunker down and read these used pieces of recycled toilet paper Sarah Ash Calls books. But I am not happy about it. You hear me Sarah Ash I am not happy about it!

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | -3 comments Did you know that the whole reason that I joined goodreads was to HATE on Isabel Allende… god and I only hated on her once!! On the I hated that book club! Can you make a thread on I hate that author… so we can all name our hated ones??? That’d be nice I think =)

Servius  Heiner Fooz you do have the power to make threads... I know you know this, I Have seen you do it :D

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | -3 comments but i'm lazy!!!!!

Servius  Heiner I can't throw them out, they are the books I brought with me to work... If I toss them then I will run out of books to read before I go home.

I'm Also reading the odyssey but I can only read through that for so long... need to read it in pieces.

Servius  Heiner I know right {:-/

message 8: by Servius Heiner (last edited Feb 16, 2009 09:44PM) (new)

Servius  Heiner But I am working on my revenge. Sarah Ash apparently doesn't know that my wife buys all the books for that store. I am already in correspondence with my wife about pulling her filth from the shelves and never buying her crap again. Also refuse to special order her crap, anyone attempting to special order it will be 86'ed from the store.

Pay attention Kasia This is how one emulates Nazi's.

message 9: by Servius Heiner (last edited Feb 16, 2009 10:03PM) (new)

Servius  Heiner I don't believe I have ever read any Steven Brust. I'll have to look into that. I should have bought the Larry Niven novels Ann bought me.

I don't mind overactive narratives as long as there is a point to it. Like if they guy takes 20 pages to describe a dinner that is like every other dinner in the country then no I would probably loose patients. But if there is a unique reason for the long descriptive narratives then sure, I'll read it all day.

** oop's brought the novel she bought ;)

Servius  Heiner well, I think I will need to look into that, any title in particular?

Servius  Heiner Wow, he really likes to write never ending series huh. Are the books stand alones, or is it necessary to read then in order?

Servius  Heiner Well I think I will start with the phoenix Guards first.

I also need to get back to Niven.

message 13: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments Nick, I recently read two excellent books. I don't really consider myself a sci-fi guy, but these are great:

Starship Troopers - yes, from what I hear, the movie sucked ass, but forget about that. It's basically the story of a soldier from basic to officer. It's the distant future and soldiers fight in an armored suit that amounts to their own personal tank and, if they're good, they get to carry a few nukes.

Foundation by Azimov is also very good. It's about science and strategy, and a futuristic dark ages - how could you not like it?

message 14: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) I'd like to second the Steven Brust novels. Something that Bunny didn't mention is that in each of the Taltos novels (if i recall correctly) Brust tells the story in a different way. Most of them are told by the main character but i believe one or two are told by others. One might be a straightforward single narrative, one might be end to beginning, and so on. Been a while since i've read them though, so i may be misremembering. Also, they've begun reprinting the individual novels as collections, with two or three novels in one cover.

Servius  Heiner Duder Starship Troopers was an awesome movie, it was cheesy but intended to be so! Plus holding true to good Sci-Fi there were boobies and bugs.

message 16: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments Marie, if you keep reading books cut and pasted from "The New Yorker", YOU'RE bound to keep reading crap!

message 17: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) You're looking for Nick, Crazy. He'll be along later.

message 18: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments Tom, were you here last time for Li'l Haters drive-by season?

Anyway, these guys are adorable.

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 17, 2009 10:56AM) (new)

I don't know, but my guess is that it's a swipe at lefty liberals and their propensity to read "literary fiction" and snub genre fiction, as a comeback to your dig.

In short, he's calling you a snob.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

It was Rusty, Marie.

P.S. Crazy about Warriors is gone forever. That Crazystar!

message 21: by Rusty (last edited Mar 13, 2009 10:28AM) (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments “I don't know, but my guess is that it's a swipe at lefty liberals and their propensity to read "literary fiction" and snub genre fiction, as a comeback to your dig.

Actually, all I know about The New Yorker I learned from Family Guy. More than anything, my post was a result of the fact that I just enjoy winding Marie up and watching her go.

Although yes, this hurt a little bit:

“if you keep reading books with "Lord of"...anything in the title - you're bound to keep reading crap!”

because “The Lord of the Rings” does have a special place in the small section of my heart that isn’t made of solid granite.

message 22: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Marie wrote: "Nick, if you keep reading books with "Lord of"...anything in the title - you're bound to keep reading crap!"

Marrie, that's just lordism in pure form. Just think about all those "Lord of the flies", "Lord of the Rings" books and how crappy do they feel when you run them over like that. It's easy to run down a faceless book, isn't it?

message 23: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Servius Sextus Heiner wrote: "But I am working on my revenge. Sarah Ash apparently..."

SSH / Nick, I am paying attention. Was that a threat? (I'd love me some threat.) Or were you providing instructions? Cause that is some elaborate scheming. Bravo. I like your style.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll run down Lord of the Flies. I hate that (well-written) book. HATE!

Faceless? Whatchoo talkin' about, Kasia? You think that filling in the "of the Rings" part is going to make Marie feel differently? No.

message 25: by Kasia (new)

Kasia BunWat wrote: "Heh that ain't nothing in the world of elaborate Sextus schemes...."

hymmm... I've noticed it's highly entertaining, but somebody will eventually drag their sorry asses to Elba.

message 26: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Montambo wrote: "...You think that filling in the "of the Rings" part is going to make Marie feel diffe..."

I don't know much about Marie's feelings. I never assumed anything. It's just in my opinion, it cannot all be crap.

Oh, well. I tried.

Servius  Heiner I don't read that many "lord of" books... in truth I didn't really like LOTR, the movie was alright until they made it all Hollywood in the end.

Servius  Heiner How can anyone consider Montambo a literary snob? wally the whale... come on...

Kasia, No bravo required I don't appreciate brown nosers so, back off Betty!

I think it is time to have another plan to take over the world thread.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Nobody called me a literary snob. Rusty only inferred that Marie was one.

However, what the hell are you talking about? "Whaley Whale" required more genius to produce than should be legal. Also, I'm a childrens' librarian. Duh.

message 30: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) No love for The Lords of Discipline?

Ok, yeah, me neither. He's a local boy though, so...

message 31: by David (new)

David I'd read The Intuitionist by Colson Whitehead. It is a bizarre novel about elevator inspectors.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.