The Next Best Book Club discussion

Personal Reading Goals > Kandice's Reading Progress

Comments Showing 1-50 of 292 (292 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Before Good Reads I didn't really keep track of my reading progress. I think 100 books a year is a reachable goal, so I'll see if I can do that.

message 2: by Kandice (last edited Aug 26, 2009 07:40AM) (new)

Kandice So far this year:
1. Outlander Diana Gabaldon 896 pgs
2. Born in DeathJ.D. Robb 368 pgs
3. The Jane Austen Book Club A NovelKaren Joy Fowler 304 pgs
4. The Road Cormac Mccarthy 256 pgs
5. The ShiningStephen King 416 pgs
6. Blaze A Novel Stephen King 256 pgs
7. WatchmenAlan Moore Dave Gibbons 408 pgs
8. The Tales of Beedle the BardJ.K. Rowling 109 pgs
9. The Thirteenth Tale A NovelDiane Setterfield 406 pgs
10. ChokeChuch Palahniuk 293 pgs
11. Red RiverLalita Tademy 432 pgs
12. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan A NovelLisa See 288 pgs
13. Just After SunsetStephen King 367 pgs
14.I Capture the CastleDodie Smith 352 pgs
15.Peril at End House 287 pgs
16.The Abstinence Teacher Tom Perotta 368 pgs
17.A Great and Terrible BeautyLibba Bray 416 pgs
18. Night Shift Stephen King 320 pgs
19. Watchmen Alan Moore/Gibbons 408 pgs (again!)
20. Deception Point Dan Brown 556 pgs
21. The Hunger GamesSuzanne Collins 374 pgs
22. Murder At HazelmoorAgatha Christie
23. A secret book I can't name 311 pgs
24. Maus I A Survivor's Tale My Father Bleeds History Art Spiegelman 159 pgs
25. Lord of the FliesWilliam Golding 192 pgs
26. The Best American Short Stories 2007edited by Stephen King 398 pgs
27.UR Stephen King pgs ? (kindle)
28. Mr. Monk and The Two Assistants Lee Goldberg 288 pgs
29. Secret 373 pgs
30. I Know This Much Is True Wally Lamb 912 pgs
31. Exit A A Novel Anthony Swoffard 304 pgs
32. Mr. Monk Goes to the Firehouse Lee Goldberg 304 pgs (weird)
33. Hideous Kinky A Novel Esther Freud 155 pages
34. Oryx and Crake Margaret Atwood 374 pages
35. Maus II A Survivor's Tale And Here My Troubles BeganArt Spiegelman 144 pages
36. Small Steps Louis Sachar 272 pages
37. secret 352 pages
38. The Loop Nicholas Evans 511 pgs
39. Solaris Stanislaw Lem 204 pgs
40. Tuck EverlastingNatalie Babbitt 144 pgs
41. Peeps / Parasite Positive Scott Westerfield 336 pgs
42. Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging Confessions of Georgia Nicolson 256 pgs
43. Stargirl 188 pgs
44. The Castle in the Forest A Novel496 pgs
45. Secret Book 416 pgs
46. Duma Key611 pgs
47. Uglies 425 pgs
48. Pretties 384 pages total

message 3: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Okay, 14 is not very many....

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Heck yes it is!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Besides...Outlander counts for like 6.

message 6: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Kandice wrote: "Okay, 14 is not very many...."

More then me. I am a slow coach!

message 7: by Kandice (new)

Kandice But I only read the first Outlander so far. They are so long, I have to pepper shorter ones between. I meant to finish a Christie this weekend, but I got my Eller Queen Mystery magazine Friday, so I read that first.

And Fiona, you seem to give your heart to the book you are reading. That takes a bit of time, and then a recovery:)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) I mean...its so thick it should count for 6. Seriously...it should.

message 9: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Oh! If that's the case... That freakin' Strange and Norrell would have been 6 as well, but since I COULD NOT finish...

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I'm doing JS&MN for the magic task in the Spring challenge... I hope that it won't be like ridiculously time consuming, because I have a lot of long ones in this challenge!

message 11: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Oh, I love a really long book...when it's good. I just couldn't seem to continue with that book. I made up every excuse in the world not to read. I would read one or 2 pages and then "remember" something I just had to do. It was ridiculous. I'm hoping it was just my mood, and I can try again some other time. Good luck with it Becky. If you get through and really like it, I'll try again then.

message 12: by Beth F. (last edited Feb 23, 2009 03:16PM) (new)

Beth F. (quietknitter) | 342 comments Outlander could totally count for 6 books....6 wonderful books. JS&MN should count for 10 excruciatingly painful books!

I'm still working on that one for one of the 25 point tasks for the Winter Challenge. I don't hate it but it's not keeping my attention...too much rambling, luckily I only have another 250 pages to go and the second half is a bit more interesting than the first half was.

message 13: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I think I am going to start reading that one tomorrow after I finish "A Separate Peace".

I figure I should be at about the 1/2 mark by the start of the challenge... but the way you guys are making it sound, I should have started JS&MN last week to finish it by the end of the Spring Challenge!

message 14: by Kandice (new)

Kandice A Separate Peace is such a heartwrenching read!!! I hope you get a lot out of it. I don't think it's a book you really enjoy, but it should move you in some way.

message 15: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I don't know. I didn't really feel heartwrenched. I mean, I got that I was supposed to feel heartwrenched, but I just didn't, really. But I think that maybe this book was not directed at me as an audience. You read my review? LOL

message 16: by Angie (new)

Angie I see that you said 14 is not that many... I don't work and sometimes I feel like I am not reading enough either! Like I should read 8 hrs a day or something! :)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow! Kandice. You have a bunch that I've wanted to read!

message 18: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Cool Emilee. I love to read what others are reading. Just for sounding boards.

message 19: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I know what you mean Angie. I do work, but even with that, 3 kids and all that entails, plus keeping up my hme, I never feel I am reading enough! There are no reading police, but I read so much slower than I used to, so I feel like I should be farther along!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Kandice I know exactly what you are saying! I have the working mom, 3 kids, wish I had more time to read but just not reading fast enough.

message 21: by Kandice (new)

Kandice 18, Hooray! I better get crackin' if I'm going to get 100. Maybe I need to choose some shorter books. (Is that cheating? As long as they are already on my TBR?)

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Absolutely not. I've been reading lots of childrens/YA classics I never read when I was younger, cause I was always a MissSmartyPants who wanted to show off that she could read grownup books!

It's been really neat. And eventually when I wind up working w/kids, it'll be good to have the knowledge of which books to recommend.

message 23: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments I agree with Laura, going back and revisiting children's and YA classics is awesome, because you may find some new books which you will cherish.

message 24: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Even books that aren't YA can be short and sweet. I have been trying not to do a lot of re-reading, but there are a few my sons have to read for school that I really like and would like to re-visit with them. Lord Of The Flies, Brave New World, The Cay. They are all short, so I think I'll read alongside them.

Oh! Flowers For Algernon, but I thought the book was called Charly. I think they may have changed it after the movie came out. I hate that.

message 25: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I need to read The Cay. I *ALMOST* remember reading it in school, and I seem to remember the feeling that I had while reading it, but I can't remember what happens in it, so it's like I never read it at all.

message 26: by Kandice (new)

Kandice It's a lovely story. It teaches a lesson about racism, but not in a preachy way at all. I think every kid should read it. It's nice and short, too!

message 27: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Yep. I just happened to stumble across a review someone had posted on here about The Cay, and I thought "I think I remember reading that!"

I wish I could remember reading everything that I've read. There's one book that is stuck in my head and I can't figure out what the heck it is. I have it listed on the "What's the name of that book" group, but so far, no results. :(

message 28: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Okay, 21 is okay, but I think I better slip some shorties in there if I don't want to get behind.

message 29: by Becky (last edited Mar 13, 2009 05:23PM) (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I know what you mean Kandice. I feel like I am falling behind, but actually I'm ahead. I made a reading schedule for myself for the Spring Challenge since I have some long ones. I gave myself until 3/15 to finish my 6th book, but I will finish tonight, which leaves me 2 days ahead of schedule. Yay! :)

Edit: Ok, I just read that again, and I realized that I look insane. Utterly insane. MWAHAHAHAHA!

message 30: by Kandice (new)

Kandice It's okay. We accept you Becky;)

I just keep dividing the number of days a year by how many books I want to read, by how many books I've read, by how many I have left to read...it is kind of all encompassing insanity, isn't it?

message 31: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Thank you. It's good to be accepted, especially by those who share my manias. ;)

message 32: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Kandice wrote: "Oh, I love a really long book...when it's good. I just couldn't seem to continue with that book. I made up every excuse in the world not to read. I would read one or 2 pages and then "remember" som..."

I really enjoyed that book. It was a genre I owuldn't have picked up but it was very good.

message 33: by Liz (new)

Liz Kandice, it sounds to me like you're making good progress, I have school and although I'm an English student I don't have much time for leisure reads!

message 34: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I re-read my book exchange book to be absolutely sure it was THE ONE. I wanted to list it, but obviously can't put the title!

message 35: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) What? Why not? I'm confused.

message 36: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Some of us are swapping books, but not saying what book we are sending. It's a surprise. I don't want to give it away.

message 37: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Oh! That's cool! *jealous*

message 38: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I'll send you a secret book if you want;) I love to share, but I don't want to flub your ban. I will, though, really. It's a lovely book.

message 39: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Well... see, I kinda revamped my goal after my first trade. I figure, if I TRADE, then I'm getting rid of a book for every book that I receive. That's fair right? :)

I want to trade surprise books! It will be like Christmas! :)

message 40: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Hooray! I will love it.

message 41: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments :-) You know you two that it is actually a great way of not having more books when you have to urge to buy them and go in the shop. Buy a book for someone else and send it as surprise....:-)

message 42: by Kandice (new)

Kandice You're right Jeane. It's perfect and I can't wait!!!

As far as my goal goes, I don't know if I am really going to make 100. I'll probably end up not sleeping the last week of the year so I can read!!!

message 43: by Kandice (new)

Kandice My son downloaded UR on his I-Pod for me, and as reluctant as I am to read an e-book, or whatever they are called, I couldn't pass up King. I hate there are no page numbers, though. I guess on a Kindle there would be.

message 44: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Okay, we are almost 1/4 of the way through the year, so if I keep on track I will beat 100. Hooray!

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't believe that we are 1/4 through the year. Wow time flies. I have about 3 books to finish in 2 days to stay on track. I should get reading!

message 46: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I am actually ahead of schedule... Yay! At this rate, which I probably won't be able to keep up, I will be able to read 120 books this year! Woo!

message 47: by Kandice (new)

Kandice 29-I better get crackin'. I am reading Becky's I Know This Much Is True. It will be lots of pages, and is obviously going to go quickly. I think I'll read a short one next:)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Have you not finished Mists Kandice? I thought you did...

I'm still waiting for mine to be mailed to me from Australia :(

I noticed its on a buy 2 get 1 free promotion at B&N...

message 49: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I don't really like it,a nd since I needed to finish Rach's and Becky's, I have given myslef a break. I PLAN on finishing, I only have about 200 pages to go, but...The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. LOL

message 50: by Allison (The Allure of Books) (last edited Apr 07, 2009 09:57AM) (new)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Kandice wrote: "I don't really like it,a nd since I needed to finish Rach's and Becky's, I have given myslef a break. I PLAN on finishing, I only have about 200 pages to go, but...The road to Hell is paved with go..."

LOL! I knew you didn't like it at first, but I thought it grew on you...must have grown back off :P

« previous 1 3 4 5 6