Start by marking “The Jane Austen Book Club” as Want to Read:
The Jane Austen Book Club

The Jane Austen Book Club

3.08  ·  Rating details ·  61,627 ratings  ·  4,277 reviews
The Extraordinary New York Times Bestseller

Published April 26th 2005 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published April 22nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Jane Austen Book Club, please sign up.
Conico Yes. The author doesn't do a great job making a connection between Austen's characters and the characters in "The Jane Austen Book Club" so if you…moreYes. The author doesn't do a great job making a connection between Austen's characters and the characters in "The Jane Austen Book Club" so if you have a better an understanding of Austen's stories and characters you can make your own connections.(less)
Conico All of Jane Austen's six novels are referenced in this book but they are used as more of an after thought to tell the stories of the book's…moreAll of Jane Austen's six novels are referenced in this book but they are used as more of an after thought to tell the stories of the book's characters.(less)

·  61,627 ratings  ·  4,277 reviews

Start your review of The Jane Austen Book Club
Jun 11, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: best-seller
I’m convinced the first thing Jane Austen is going to do on the Day of Resurrection is hire a lawyer and sue the philistines who have commandeered her name and characters. However, this book is beneath her notice. A more clichéd combination of unfulfilled women could hardly be conceived: a middle-aged woman who’s just been left by her husband; her lesbian daughter who falls easily and unhappily in love; a spinster who breeds dogs; a dissatisfied French teacher in an unhappy marriage; and finally ...more
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
description

I like contemporary literary fiction. I really like book clubs. I love Jane Austen. I thought this book would be right up my alley. How could it bore me to tears like that??

Lots of drama about the current lives and loves of the various members of this book club, which has its reflection in the themes of the various Jane Austen novels they read each month. It was mildly interesting, and I finished the book, but it just never really engaged me.
Beth
Jun 22, 2007 rated it did not like it
I really didn't get into the book. In fact, by about the middle of the book, I felt that the only reason "Jane Austen" shows up in the title--or the book--at all, was because the author knew people like Jane Austen, therefore will buy the book. The book really could've been about any author--Dickens, the Brontes, Hemmingway, Fitzgerald--with the same results. The ties to the Austen books, in my opinion, are tenuous at best. If the title and the book club were not tied to Jane Austen, the referen ...more
Florencia
Jan 24, 2014 marked it as forever-currently-reading  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People that are in a dentist waiting room and have to choose between a 1995 magazine and this book
*DNF review alert. If you don't think they should exist, do not read this*

Jocelyn and Sylvia, two middle-aged women, one never married and the other crying rivers because she just got divorced; Bernadette, a sixty-seven year-old Liz Taylor; Prudie, a French teacher that shares her thoughts in French whether you speak it or not; Allegra, Sylvia's daughter, a thirty year-old lesbian who cannot get a happy relationship, and Grigg, a guy that... I don't know what to say about this choice
Diane
I picked this up because I enjoyed the movie version. I like the story: a modern-day book club that reads all of Jane Austen's novels, and the participants' lives become entangled and resemble some of Miss Austen's famous plots.

However, I thought Fowler's book was scattered and poorly written, and I couldn't finish it. I thought it was mediocre fan fiction.
Katharine
Mar 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: austen, drama
I can’t decide how successful this novel actually was, in storytelling. On the one hand, I genuinely liked all the characters. On the other hand, a good two-thirds of the book is spent in telling backstory. As a way to describe character and motivation, it’s an interesting technique, and kept my attention despite all the narration. On the other hand, there’s very little real-time interaction between the characters. Although what interaction there is, plays out beautifully and believably, it’s al ...more
Margitte
BLURB
The Extraordinary New York Times Bestseller
In California's central valley, five women and one man join to discuss Jane Austen's novels. Over the six months they get together, marriages are tested, affairs begin, unsuitable arrangements become suitable, and love happens. With her eye for the frailties of human behavior and her ear for the absurdities of social intercourse, Karen Joy Fowler has never been wittier nor her characters more appealing. The result is a delicious dissection of mo
Connie
So disappointed. I wanted to like this but could never get into any of the characters or the stories they told. They are a mismatched bunch who all come together to read Jane Austin. Perhaps there should of been more Austin and less of these characters. Each book was suppose to relate or have particular meaning to one of the present day characters....or at least I think maybe that was the point? I really don't know as I never felt any type of flow. We learned odd stories of each characters past ...more
Exina
Mar 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book is boring and obnoxious.
Bernadette's Austen was a comic genius. Her characters, her dialogue remained genuinely funny, not like Shakespeare's jokes, which amused you only because they were Shakespeare's and you owed him that.

Talking trash about Shakespeare??

Amanda
Jun 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read_summer_07
I just finished The Jane Austen Book Club. So good. I'm craving Jane Austen now. I just want to go through each novel in order. I just might. I can't decide. I am a quite reliable multi-tasker...

If you love Jane Austen, I think you will really appreciate the book. Even if you don't love Jane Austen, I think you will appreciate the book and maybe come to appreciate Jane Austen more.

It was really good. Four Hello Kittys.

My favorite Jane Austen book is Pride and
Sep 09, 2007 rated it it was ok
I was perusing movie trailers on my Mac last weekend and saw a cute title/trailer called The Jane Austen Book Club. The end of trailer announced, "Based on the best selling novel, The Jane Austen Book Club." I thought it would be fun to check out the book since I almost never see a movie until I can watch it via Netflix.

I had hoped it would be a kind of "fun" read, especially since I am a Jane-ite. Unfortunately for me, it wasn't much fun. I actually found it a little tedious and the jumping ar
Destinee Sutton
I've read the (very) negative reviews of this (there are many) and I have to say, I think a lot of people just didn't get this book. They wanted it to be plot-driven and fun (as so many Austen take-offs are), but this book is much more character-driven and contemplative. I learned a lot about Jane Austen from it (especially from the back matter) and it was a great way to continue to explore her work. It's also so gratifying for me to read about people who live for and through literature. The cha ...more
Chanda
Feb 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I rate everything four or five stars. Probably because if I don't like a book, it somehow never gets finished. I'm usually reading four or five things at once, switching back and forth as different moods strike me, unless of course I get drawn deeply into a story and don't want to leave.

Such was the case here. I adored this book. It seemed like such a pat premise, but then was full of such depth, such a surprising understanding and interpretation of Austen (and Heinlein, Le Guin, the
Ana
I like Jocelyn best, but, if I'm being honest, I'm more like Prudie than I care to admit sometimes.
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
Suzanne
Jul 16, 2008 rated it did not like it
I bought this in a train station with the deliberate aim of reading a puff book. I was not expecting a masterpiece, but this was absolute crap. I kept reading on the off chance that it might improve– it did not. The only redeeming quality of this book is that it is a really fast read (since it's fluff).
Dawn Michelle
Sep 29, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: No one, especially Jane Austen fans
Recommended to Dawn Michelle by: Saw it in a bookstore and bought it for the husband
This book was really a disappointment to me. After all the hype I thought this would be a really great book. And its not. Its an ok book, but not a great book.
If you are looking for a great book about friends and book clubs, then you should read "Angry Housewives Eating Bon-Bons: A Novel (by Lorna Landvik). That is so funny and sad and poignant and touching. Everything this book was not.
My husband is reading this book as well(He is a TRUE Jane Austen fan) and he asked me last night i
Sherwood Smith
Oct 18, 2008 added it
Shelves: fiction
I do love Fowler's work. But I have to say I found this book a disappointment.

The story concerns the members of a Jane Austen book club--five women and one man--who meet to discuss the books. The structure is thus roughly divided into six months, and each month one of the people leads the discussion while Fowler interweaves that person's life story into the discussion, often punctuated by quotes from Austen's books. The prose is good, with a few eye-blinks (My favorite line, from the
Blaire
Oct 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I kept looking for fairly literal parallels in each chapter between the book under review and the character with which it was associated. Not a very rewarding approach, although I did find some. Instead, I took this book as an implicit homage to Austen. A gently satirical portrayal of a group of characters bound partly, but not entirely, by a love of Austen's novels. It's all about character; not plot. Not that much actually happens during the course of the book. Nevertheless, we learn a lot abo ...more
Kirsten #endgunviolence
Read as part of my challenge to read my way around the world.

I'd seen the movie a while back so I thought this book would more of the same. Was I surprised! The movie seemed to only have a passing familiarity with this book. There was so much more in this book. I especially liked the flashbacks of all the lives in the book.

The mystery author and the description of the riot at the girls reform school that has to be put down by the National Guard were especially delightful.

T
Kay
Feb 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are few books I would call elegant - this is one of them.

I was more than pleasantly surprised by the constructed simplicity of The Jane Austen Book Club. I had seen the movie - which was perfectly enjoyable - and had taken a look at the chick-lit cover, and thought I would be in for a very light-hearted read.

While the book is not a tale of doom and destruction, it is far from simplistic. Joy Fowley manages to fit so much character and emotion into the small novel. We see the c
Lynn Horton
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
The author can write, but I didn’t like the stereotypic and needy characters, nor did I care for the story, which was just an excuse to trot out everyone’s dysfunction. It’s almost as if “Jane Austen” in the title is click-bait to induce unsuspecting readers to buy.

Not recommended.
Dorian
Aug 24, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've a notion someone told me this was a good book. They must have very different "good book" criteria from mine. I wasn't a bit impressed with it. It read to me like a chick-lit novel that was trying to be all Literary and Intellectual (and failing miserably).

I might have quite liked to have read an unashamed chick-lit novel about some or all of the characters. But this book kept interrupting the interesting bits-about-the-characters (which were, in any case, flashbacks) with random
Shafitri
Sep 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
Well, I'm very disappointed with this book... I had known before I read it that this book wouldn't be all about Jane Austen, but rather of the lives of the members of Jane Austen book club. However, the thing that disappoints me so much is that this book seemed to only use the name "Jane Austen" to make her fans interested and want to read the book... Well, I kinda feel tricked into reading it actually =)

Well,at first i was quite satisfied with the beginning... because it argues abou
Claudia
Feb 02, 2009 rated it did not like it
Eeeeegaaaads....

I love Jane Austen, so it's hard to claim I'm not terribly... shall we say... "girlie"? Still, I've not been one to join the bandwagon about such chick flicks that are often described as tear jerkers. I tried this book. Really, I did.

I mean, there’s nothing really wrong with it, the writing is good enough, but I can’t seem to get excited about it in the least bit. It’s a whole 175 pages long, which means I should have gotten through it in a couple of sitti
E. Amato
Mar 16, 2012 rated it did not like it
I love Jane Austen. I find this book very close to awful, yet not close enough to be interesting. Is this what women read? Is this chick lit? Women's fiction? All the women are unlikeable stereotypes - boring ones, at that. The men are sexless addenda to domestic life. They inhabit a white-people problems world that is so superficial as to be maudlin. It feels written through the veil of anti-depressants or between runs to Costco - or both. I don't think I'll be able to finish it. I'm not even s ...more
Cori Reed
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this, because Jane Austen, but sadly it was almost painfully boring.
Janez
Readers usually don't like the films being made after the literary adaptions. Well, in this case-and I never thought I'd say it- the movie was so much better than the book. As I got into the second part of the plot, the author seemed to have lost all ideas where to go with the story line, the characters etc. And to top it all, at the end of the book, after the epilogue, the reader gets a short summary of each of the six Austen novels, plus questions for the discussion. A different approach to be ...more
Lesley
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Jane Austen Book Club is an international best seller which ultimately became a successful film in 2007. I brought my edition late in 2004 and shamefully only just got around to reading it this week.

I picked this up thinking it would be great but like any best seller there were quite a few negative reviews floating around at the time, dispelling all the good press it had received. I stupidly got put off and left it to languish on my bookcase.

I thought about reading it
TL

Grigg

Prudie:

Sylvia and Allegra:

Bernadette
(my favorite besides Grigg, love em all though)
----

Embarrassing to admit sort of, but I'd forgotten I had already read this book, but I can't remember when. It must have been after I saw the movie (rented it off Netflix at the time) and I have a vague memory of thinking why they added certain scenes to the movie when the ones in the book worked fine.

It was nice to re-visit this again, it's a low key book and not for everybody...it's one of those books you can just lay on the couch and coast along, sipping your drink and wrapped up in a blanket.

Everyone was well developed, and it was fun listening on their discussions of Austen. Loved watching Grigg fall in love with her novels, reminded me of when I first read 'Pride & Prejudice'

They read one book a month, meeting at a different member's house each time to hold the discussion. Personal conflicts arise, marriages tested, love blooms.... and they support and are there for one another.

Only complaint I have is I wish it that sometimes we had more personal stories of the members and their histories (me being greedy)... sometimes a couple felt a bit rushed but they were never dull at least.

Would recommend, this is one I'll pull out again in a few years and re-visit :) Happy reading!

The Use of "We" 22 228 Aug 04, 2019 10:52AM
What Junk 4 68 Aug 07, 2016 12:55AM
Around the Year i...: The Jane Austen Book Club, by Karen Joy Fowler 2 36 Jul 10, 2016 02:08PM
January Book Club: Jane Austen 3 13 Jan 30, 2015 12:38PM
Book Clubs and Reading Groups - what is your opinion - are they good for literature? 4 51 Apr 25, 2014 12:49AM

• Becoming Jane Austen
  • Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict (Jane Austen Addict, #1)
  • The Jane Austen Society
  • მე, ბებია, ილიკო და ილარიონი ; მე ვხედავ მზეს ; მზიანი ღამე (Book 1)
  • Austenland (Austenland, #1)
  • Bahamarama
  • Sex and the City
  • The Chocolate Run: AND The Cupid Effect
  • The Walking Tour
  • Northanger Abbey
  • Mansfield Park
  • عروس آب
  • پشت درخت توت
  • De bètacanon: wat iedereen moet weten van de natuurwetenschappen
  • دوال پا
  • De naakte waarheid
  • Kuigi sa proovid olla hea
  • The Darkest Knight (The Black Knight Chronicles Book 1)
I was born in Bloomington, Indiana. I was due on Valentine's Day but arrived a week early; my mother blamed this on a really exciting IU basketball game. My father was a psychologist at the University, but not that kind of psychologist. He studied animal behavior, and especially learning. He ran rats through mazes. My mother was a polio survivor, a schoolteacher, and a pioneer in the co-operative ...more
“Arriving late was a way of saying that your own time was more valuable than the time of the person who waited for you.” 139 likes
“I once broke up with a boy because he wrote me an awful poem.” 63 likes