What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Blackbriar
This topic is about Blackbriar
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA - cat named Islington [s]

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

N.S. (nsberanek) | 9 comments All I remember is there was a (possibly spooky) mansion pictured on the cover, a cat named Islington featured prominently in the story(at least that's how I recall it), and I loved it.

message 2: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 100 comments Not Poison by Chris Wooding, is it?

N.S. (nsberanek) | 9 comments No. That didn't sound familiar but I clicked on it anyway and nope, I've never read that.

message 4: by Dini (new)

Dini Neil Gaiman's Coraline? It's a YA book, has the character of a cat, and the version I read had a somewhat spooky mansion on the cover. The cat in this story has no name, though. Weirdly enough, the name Islington is used for a character in Gaiman's other novel, Neverwhere.

Here's the Coraline link: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...

N.S. (nsberanek) | 9 comments No, thanks, but I just found a used copy of that and am planning to read it before seeing the film.

Erica | 47 comments Don't read it late at night.

N.S. (nsberanek) | 9 comments Thanks >:) Actually, I have to read it FAST. I saw a commercial last night that said this weekend is the last opportunity to see it in 3-D, and since I read a review which said "Finally! A good reason for 3-D technology!", I'd like to see it that way.

message 8: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 46 comments Nin,
I saw Coraline in 3D last week-end and I loved it.

I read the book months ago and was really spooky.
The movie is beautiful and less spooky.

message 9: by Dini (new)

Dini The book is short and you can read it fairly quickly. Have fun with the movie!

message 10: by April Ann (last edited Feb 22, 2009 02:57PM) (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments When did you read it? Can you remember anything about the plot? Was it mystery? Fantasy? Adventure? etc.

message 11: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments Cat's Eye Corner by Terry Griggs, published in 2000. Summary: When Oliver visits his grandfather in his mansion of changing rooms and secret doors, he begins a scavenger hunt that introduces him to wild charaters, poetic cats, and word altering fairies.

Cat's Eye Corner by Terry Griggs

message 12: by N.S. (new) - rated it 4 stars

N.S. (nsberanek) | 9 comments Wow, thanks everyone. This would have been in the late 70s or early 80s. I don't remember the plot, just the cat's name, but it was definitely not fantasy. Probably more adventure than mystery.

message 13: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments Carbonel and Calidor by Barbara Sleight. Published, 1978. Nothing about the name Islington, but the cover has a spooky house on it. Carbonel and Calidor Being the Further Adventures of a Royal Cat (Puffin Books)(Carbonel #2) by Barbara Sleigh

message 14: by N.S. (new) - rated it 4 stars

N.S. (nsberanek) | 9 comments That cover is really close to what I remember, but the name means nothing to me, so I don't think that's it. Thanks, though.

message 15: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn (shumpgullion) | 28 comments I haven't actually read it, but Google makes me think it might be Blackbriar by William Sleator. (Goodreads doesn't have the cover, but this Amazon page does.

Could that be it?

message 16: by N.S. (new) - rated it 4 stars

N.S. (nsberanek) | 9 comments Marilyn wrote: "I haven't actually read it, but Google makes me think it might be Blackbriar by William Sleator. (Goodreads doesn't have the cover, but this Amazon page does.

Could that be it?"

Hey...now that sounds familiar. Wow, thanks! I'm going to have to check that out immediately.

message 17: by N.S. (new) - rated it 4 stars

N.S. (nsberanek) | 9 comments Yes, yes, yes, that's it! Thank you! Oh my gosh, now I have to get it and re-read it.

Pretty funny that all the reviews say things like "I read this 20+ years ago when I was in elementary school...don't remember the plot at all just the atmosphere and that I loved every minute of reading it." My experience exactly.

message 18: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn (shumpgullion) | 28 comments Huzzah! Glad to hear it was the right one. I think now I'll have to read it too... :)