Start by marking “Carbonel and Calidor: Being the Further Adventures of a Royal Cat (Carbonel #3)” as Want to Read:
Carbonel and Calidor: Being the Further Adventures of a Royal Cat (Carbonel #3)

Carbonel and Calidor: Being the Further Adventures of a Royal Cat

(Carbonel #3)

The third and final book in the Carbonel trilogy

There are many kinds of magic...and once magic is in your blood it attracts more magic, says the royal cat Carbonel at the start of Carbonel and Calidor. Sure enough, Carbonels human friends Rosemary and John soon encounter magic in the form of a ring set with a fiery red stone that grants wishes to whoever wears it. And its
Paperback
Published April 24th 1980 by Puffin Books (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Carbonel and Calidor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carbonel and Calidor

Start your review of Carbonel and Calidor: Being the Further Adventures of a Royal Cat (Carbonel #3)
Simon
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
The third and by some distance, the weakest of the trilogy. The sparkle of the John and Rosemary relationship has gone; in fact neither child has the charm of their previous appearances. The story is quite well structured which it should be as it is basically taken from Henry IV part one. But there are huge problems. The loveable rogue witch of the first two books is sidelined and we have the not quite fully thought out (in more ways than one) Miss Dibdin, and the based on the Snow Queen in ...more
Erica
Beth Cato
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in, 2010, children-s, cats
This is the third book in the Carbonel trilogy; I read the first two as a youngster, but my library didn't have the third book. This is my first time reading it.[return][return]As Rosemary and John reunite to spend a third summer together, the King of Cats, Carbonel shows up. As usual, he wants something from his faithful human friends. The children find a magic ring that enable them to hear Carbonel, and he tells them his tale of woe: his son and heir, Calidor, has abandoned the royal family ...more
Mumbler
Oh, I thought this one was great! For one thing, it is full of great cat characters with great names. Often two names, common and high. Dumpsie and Wellingtonia!
Friend of Pixie (F.O.P.)
We were sad to say goodbye to Carbonel and his gang of royal and not-so-royal cats. Logan plans to have an all-black cat some day so that he can name it Carbonel. His other favorite cat characters were Dumpsie (a she-cat raised in the town dump and favored by Prince Calidor) and Woppit, Calidor's and Pergamond's "nanny" cat. Logan didn't think he'd use those names though! Sleigh is a good storyteller and I liked that the kids got older and changed during the series of three books. In this last ...more
Nick
Feb 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third book in this delightful series is in some ways the best. It's showdown time among the cats, and the humans are not far behind, ramping up their amateur witchery and doing their wicked best to frustrate our two child heroes. There's even time travel. Not to mention a threat to the comfort and safety of one of the children's Parent. A wonderful conclusion to a great trilogy. Highly recommended for reading aloud to your favorite 10 year old.
J.D. Field
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Didn't love this quite as much as I did when i was twelve. Still, the king and prince of cats are pretty awesome...
I'm on an animal stories jag at the moment. And the father/son thing seems to be a big deal in all of them.
the idea of a secret world of cats on the roofs is still pwoerful, as well. it's the human side that's less effective...
Ben
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The introduction of new characters, the new villain witch and her toad among others, kept the antics of Rosemary and John fresh and interesting -- possibly more enjoyable than the second book in the trilogy. The idea of having Rosemary turn into a witch herself (albeit a good one, which is not suggested as possible in the book) could have been an interesting spin-off for a subsequent series.
Donna
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really glad that I got a chance to re-read a childhood favorite. Of course I didn't find the series as magical as when I was 10 years old, but still felt it was well written and an enjoyable way to pass the time. I hope today's young people discover these books as a worthwhile read.
Bethnoir
Nov 29, 2010 rated it liked it
It started a bit more slowly than the previous 2, but once it got going a fun, occasionally hilarious and at times touching book for children and lovers of cats, magic and English childrens fiction in general.
Jimmy
Not as good as the first two, in that there were less interesting characters, but just as much good action and plotting. Still, a good, fun read, and a nice way to end this trilogy.
Jdandthree
Apr 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
great book
Maggie
May 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reading-aloud
Third (and last) in a thoroughly excellent series.
Tiina
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sure, this is a children's book and I am an adult, but there was something magical about this book, in more ways than one. !!! Star rating!
Minerva
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this series! Classic English children's lit.
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
My 8 and 4 year olds love the Carbonel series. Just the right amount of action, adventure, and silliness. We will be reading more Barbara Sleigh books.
Verity
Nov 10, 2018
Philippa
Sep 09, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Summer Queen (Eleanor of Aquitaine, #1)
  • Marnie
  • The Winter Crown (Eleanor of Aquitaine, #2)
  • The Autumn Throne (Eleanor of Aquitaine, #3)
  • The Psychology of Time Travel
  • Have You Heard the Nesting Bird?
  • Flowers Are Calling
  • Five Seasons of Angel: Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Discuss Their Favorite Vampire
  • A Song for Gwendolyn Brooks
  • Borrowing a Tail
  • Jinchalo
  • Hawkeye: Kate Bishop, Vol. 1: Anchor Points
  • Foxes Unearthed: A Story of Love and Loathing in Modern Britain
  • The Celestial Omnibus and other Stories
  • Adam et Thomas
  • The Mysterious Howling (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #1)
  • Hicotea (Nightlights #2)
  • Rattus Rex
Barbara Sleigh (1906-1982) worked for the BBC Children's Hour and is the author of Carbonel and two sequels: The Kingdom of Carbonel and Carbonel and Calidor.

Carbonel (3 books)
  • Carbonel: The King of the Cats (Carbonel, #1)
  • The Kingdom of Carbonel (Carbonel #2)