FSC Book Club discussion

Questions, Comments, Announcments

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new)

Christine | 107 comments Mod
This is the place for your general book club questions, comments, suggestions and announcements.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan | 1 comments What fun! A great book choice.

message 3: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new)

The FSC Book Club now has its own, brand new Facebook page! For up-to-date reminders, bonuses and another way to stay connected, "Like" us at: https://www.facebook.com/FscBookClub. Don't forget to follow us on Twitter, too :) @FSCBookClub

message 4: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 68 comments I just want to say happy holidays to my FSC Bookclub friends. Holiday tasks have overtaken my ability to get to the next couple recipes in our assignments that I want to make - but I'm looking forward to continuing our reading and discussing in the New Year, if not before. May peace and love fill your kitchens, homes and communities and extend to the far reaches of all our world.

message 5: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Schulz | 6 comments K

message 6: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 68 comments Is anyone else (If you use Facebook as your sign-on for Goodreads) having trouble getting automatically logged in to Goodreads? I'm wondering if the issue is Goodreads, or my computer. When I go to Goodreads a window pops up that says "Just a moment while we log you in to your Goodreads account". In the past, this would be there for just a moment, and then I'd be logged in. Now it just stays there and I have to close it and go out of Goodread and BACK in. At that point, I am logged in but without closing it and getting out of Goodreads and going back in, I'm not logged in and so cannot post. Not a big deal - just an annoyance (since it apparently does get me logged in after those two extra steps), but just wondering where the problem is so maybe I can fix it.

message 7: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new)

Sometimes that happens to me, but I find that when I close the "Please wait while we sign you in" box if it's taking a long time, then I'm logged in anyway. So I think for me, it hasn't actually taken a long time to log in... Instead it seems like the "please wait" box just gets stuck.

message 8: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 3 comments Congratulations to the FSC - and having your recipes indexed by Eat Your Books. I will enjoy exploring your recipes, as I will cooking with you (when you are doing a cookbook that I own). I envy those of you who get to meet in person!

message 9: by Mickey (last edited Aug 22, 2013 04:04PM) (new)

Mickey New here and wondering.

I do not think I will jump in this late for the "Put em up" book. But after reading some reviews of this book I have a few questions.

1) The "Pomona pectin" is new to me, from reading reviews of the "Put em up" book, Is Pomona better than regular or instant pectin? Or is it like using different kinds of salt for different kinds of recipes?

2) How is the next cookbook chosen and when?

message 10: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 68 comments Hello all.
I've been absent on the most recent book, but looking forward to the next one. I'm hoping for something that will have some thought provoking content (you can see the several suggestions I made last time they were solicited) so we might be able to discuss ideas and experiences in addition to whatever we might be cooking.

Hope to "see" you all soon.

message 11: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 68 comments Mickey wrote: "New here and wondering.

2) How is the next cookbook chosen and when? ..."

Hi Mickey - looks like your question went unnnoticed. I'm just another reader - don't moderate or anything -but the books have been chosen different ways different times (sometimes they've posted requests for suggestions, sometimes not). Not sure when - but I'm hoping it will be soon.

I think on another post you asked about whether this was a women's only group. Answer - not as far as I know. But it seems that most of the people who have signed up are female. As new members came on, though, I did see a man's name or two. They haven't posted much, as far as I remember.

message 12: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Cynthia wrote: "Mickey wrote: "New here and wondering.

2) How is the next cookbook chosen and when? ..."

Hi Mickey - looks like your question went unnnoticed. I'm just another reader - don't moderate or anythin..."

You are the first person to respond to my messages here since I signed up several months ago. thanks :)

This is not a lively group here. I suspect thier web site gets a little more activity. I would estimate one posting per week here. Their podcast also seems be abandoned as no new broadcast in months. However, since Amazon took over Goodreads, I would also say that postings seem to be down from the few groups I subscribe.

It would not suprise me if this group closes up.

message 13: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new)

Hi Mickey, I apologize for not having responded sooner. For whatever reason, I wasn't getting notifications for this thread so I never saw your message appear until I happened to check it manually today. Thanks, Cynthia, for responding and offering your thoughts.

The FSC Book Club is a small side project that we run for the sole purpose of having a little fun & conversation while making our way through food-related books. We've chosen books based on input and feedback from the community (book club members, blog readers, etc) and ones we think would be a good fit for the group. Cookbooks have been more popular vs food policy or memoirs, though we would like to include all types of selections in the future.

It is not a women-only group, men are welcome and encouraged to join!

A note on the activity level of the book club and podcast: these are both projects that we run as a hobby, on the side from demanding full-time jobs and having families. We also run the community blog fromscratchclub.com, outreach tables at events such as FarmAid and regular in-person food swaps. We try our best to provide a high level of involvement and interaction here, but sometimes life gets the best of us. I hope you understand.

message 14: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Christine wrote: "Hi Mickey, I apologize for not having responded sooner. For whatever reason, I wasn't getting notifications for this thread so I never saw your message appear until I happened to check it manually ..."

I do understand!
As one who now takes care of my 87 year old mom who has macular eye degeneration. Since my retirement, life has never been busier. When working in the city, I lived at a fast food resturants. Now retired and living in the country, I want my health back and taking care of mom means I want to cook much better, healthier and tastier meals.

message 15: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new)

Thanks :) We'll post an announcement here as soon as we have our next selection.

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan M | 42 comments any idea what the next selection will be.

message 17: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Suggestions?
Artisan Breads,
Soup,
Chocolates and Confectionaries?

Basic Butchering :)
Expensive.

Breads are up there but I have no stand mixer. Not sure if I need one though. People have been making breads for centuries without one. Would like to make bread without the GMO's and go with organic flours.

I do like soup and I have never made my own stock. Always bought my own stock.

Chocolate- oh the holidays, my high dental bills and my waistline.

message 18: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new)

Great suggestions, Mickey! Susan, my partner-in-crime Christina & I will be starting a selection process soon and will keep everyone posted. It's a busy time for us in our respective jobs right now, so bear with us a little bit longer :)

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy Mickey wrote: "Suggestions?
Artisan Breads,
Soup,
Chocolates and Confectionaries?

Basic Butchering :)
Expensive.

Breads are up there but I have no stand mixer. Not sure if I need one though. People have been m..."

To weigh my opinion, I only have so much time to cook, so it is harder to work on projects that are above and beyond getting the meals on the table. But, I also see the other POV - do something you don't normally do (like canning, which I loved, it was just hard to keep up). I like the ideas of soups (dinner!). Also, I already make my own bread, but would be really into doing more with different grains, including possibly milling my own. Chocolate or other goodies that I can translate into my weekly Christmas baking stockpile to give out as gifts the week of Christmas would be awesome too.

Obviously choosing recipes for dinner is something I already have to do, so it is more convenient to participate that way. I'll still participate regardless (unless it is 100% tofu all the time!), I just might not be able to participate each block of time if the project is above and beyond what I already have on my plate.

Just my two cents.

message 20: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 68 comments Christine wrote: "Great suggestions, Mickey! Susan, my partner-in-crime Christina & I will be starting a selection process soon and will keep everyone posted. It's a busy time for us in our respective jobs right now..."

Hi Christine - don't know if you saw it, but I sent you a message awhile back. I'm really hoping for a book that includes reading, not just recipes and supporting information. I made a few suggestions last time you solicited them and would be happy to make more if desired. And I don't even mind if it's a book that doesn't fit my eating style if it includes interesting writing. Anyway - love the book club. let me know if you didn't get that message and I'll see if I saved a copy to resend. Thanks for all your work making this happen. It's fun!

message 21: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 68 comments Happy New Year, and may we all make it be a wonderful "from scratch" year.
Will we be starting a new book soon? My fingers are crossed and I'm hoping "yes"!

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan M | 42 comments YaY! Can't wait! Happy New Year!

message 23: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Ryan johnson | 45 comments I'm eagerly waiting a new book too!!

message 24: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Dardeen | 6 comments Can't wait for the next challenge! Whoo Hoo!

message 25: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new)

So happy to hear that folks are still excited for a new book club challenge! Thanks for your patience as we prepare for the next round. We'll announce the launch of it on fromscratchclub.com and right here on goodreads.

message 26: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 68 comments I miss the book club. Hope you are all well, and hope you are able to launch again one day.

message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan M | 42 comments Same here Cynthia! I miss it too and keep checking every now and then.

message 28: by Pirate Jeni (new)

Pirate Jeni (piratejeni) I don't know the status of this book club but I, personally, am going to buy Vegetarian for a New Generation: Seasonal Vegetable Dishes for Vegetarians, Vegans, and the Rest of Us just based off my previous experience with the author's Whole Grains book!

message 29: by Robin (new)

Robin | 4 comments I'd be up for new book, Jeni's choice looks good.

message 30: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (culinary_cam) | 1 comments Sounds good to me, too!

message 31: by Mahogany (new)

Mahogany Law (MahoganyLaw) | 2 comments Hello, I'm Mahogany and I am new to your group. Hope I am posting the introduction in the right place. I am a foodie and enjoy cooking a variety of dishes and adding my own twist. I recently published a cookbook based on a Jamaican background. Some of the recipes included both natural, meatless and meat i.e. curry tofu, jerk tofu, jerk chicken, baked fish, steamed fish and some homemade natural juices i.e. cucumber drink, carrot drink, pineapple ginger etc. which can be found in my cookbook. I am looking forward to connecting with each of you, and open to new recipes to try. Mahogany Law's Authentic Jamaican Cuisine; From My Kitchen To Yours

message 33: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 2 comments So, I got my copy of Vegetarian for a New Generation yesterday and it looks wonderful - I'd love to use it as a challenge book.

message 34: by Diane (new)

Diane Johnson | 3 comments Hi, I am happy to be a part of this group. I am an avid cookbook collector and foodist.. I am interested in what others are reading and cooking. I authoredA Tuscan Table: The Secrets of Three Generations of Tuscan Family CookingI am interested in many cuisines, and especially Italian cuisine. Hoping to hear from all of you and to know what are your favorite dishes. There are some recipes at www.deannastable.wix.com/deannastable I will be starting a blog at Blogger shortly.

message 35: by Mahogany (new)

Mahogany Law (MahoganyLaw) | 2 comments Hi Diane. Thank you for sharing. I LOVE Italian food as well. My number one favorite. I will be looking out for your blog.

message 36: by Diane (new)

Diane Johnson | 3 comments Hi Mahogany, Thanks. Your recipes look delicious and healthy! Jamaican cuisine is wonderful and I am planning to learn how to prepare some Jamaican dishes.

message 37: by Pirate Jeni (last edited Aug 13, 2014 10:54AM) (new)

Pirate Jeni (piratejeni) I don't think that there will be a new book club soon.. but I just started reading The Art of Fermentation: An in-Depth Exploration of Essential Concepts and Processes from Around the World and was thinking of starting a club to read along and discuss if anyone else is interested.

If you are, let me know and if I launch it, I'll invite you!

message 38: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Pirate Jeni wrote: "I don't think that there will be a new book club soon.. but I just started reading [book:The Art of Fermentation: An in-Depth Exploration of Essential Concepts and Processes from Around the World|1..."

I do think this board is about to be history. However, i do not see any other boards that are that active when it comes to cookbooks. I wonder if everyone went to booklikes.com I should take another look when I have the time.

The book you listed is interesting as I already make cultured foods from dairy products and some pickling. I might be interested in making Kombucha and fermented teas someday. Right now I am looking at home milled flours. Perhaps after November I might be interested in your new group.

message 39: by Pirate Jeni (new)

Pirate Jeni (piratejeni) Thanks for the response.. mostly I just wanna talk to other people about books. I've never heard to booklikes.com I'll have to check it out!

message 40: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new)

Hello patient Book Club friends! We've been thinking about tackling Marisa McClellan's newest book, Preserving by the Pint: Quick Seasonal Canning for Small Spaces.

For those of you familiar with her first book Food in Jars: Preserving in Small Batches Year-Round or her blog by the same name, you'll know how accessible she makes small-batch canning. This book is a wonderful resource, divided by season, that offers small-batch recipes for preserving all year long. It can be tough to make time for canning and preserving food, but we think Marisa has great ideas on how to do it without losing our minds! Plus, it's a nice way to hold onto the late summer bounty and appreciate the fruits and veggies that are still yet to come to our home gardens and farmers markets.

What do you say? Are you in for working our way through Preserving by the Pint?!

I'd love to get us started within the next two weeks and then meet up here with discussions and questions through October or so. I'll leave this thread open throughout the weekend to collect some input and then hope to make a formal announcement about our next book club choice on Monday!

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Colwill | 2 comments Christine, I read her first book, but haven't tried canning yet. I think I would like to give it a shot, and smaller batches seems like a good way to start. I would be in.

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3 comments I've made a few things already and would love to try more!

message 43: by Pirate Jeni (new)

Pirate Jeni (piratejeni) Have fun!

message 44: by Christina, FSC Book Club Moderator (new)

Christina (ChristinaofFSC) | 3 comments Mod
I'm totally in!

message 45: by Kate (new)

Kate Hayner | 19 comments I took the book out of the library last week and liked what I saw, it had to go back before I had a chance to do anything but I'm in.

message 46: by Susan (new)

Susan M | 42 comments Unless there is another choice, I will pass. I have many canning/jamming books and feel I have learned enough in that category. I jam and can so there is no challenge there. Thanks and have fun if this is the choice. :-)

message 47: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Ryan johnson | 45 comments I'd prefer something other than canning.

message 48: by Mickey (new)

Mickey I have several books on small batch canning already. I do not consume lots of jams, jellies and preserves. I will be doing allot of canning for vegetables next month.

I got a new book on The Homemade Flour Cookbook: The Home Cook's Guide to Milling Nutritious Flours and Creating Delicious Recipes with Every Grain, Legume, Nut, and Seed from A-Z. I have not read it yet and is of interest to me. This book however does, I think, requires a grain mill and they are not cheap. I have a nutrimill for my use.

I could be interested in bread making and or soups. Canning I am not sure.

message 49: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new)

Keep the feedback coming, guys! Regardless of which book we choose for now, I'm keeping a list of suggestions for future rounds :)

message 50: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new)

And by all means, those who are interested in tackling The Art of Fermentation: An in-Depth Exploration of Essential Concepts and Processes from Around the World, join Pirate Jeni's group! Or maybe she can start a separate thread here? Whatever works!

« previous 1