Start by marking “The Art of Fermentation: An in-Depth Exploration of Essential Concepts and Processes from Around the World” as Want to Read:

Winner of the 2013 James Beard Foundation Book Award for Reference and Scholarship, and a New York Times bestseller, The Art of Fermentation is the most comprehensive guide to do-it-yourself home fermentation ever published. Sandor Katz presents the concepts and processes behind fermentation in ways that are simple enough to guide a reader through their first experience ma ...more
Published June 12th 2012 by Chelsea Green Publishing (first published May 15th 2012)

Start your review of The Art of Fermentation: An in-Depth Exploration of Essential Concepts and Processes from Around the World
Max
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book completely thrills me in so many ways!

It is essentially an encyclopedia of what is known about fermentation, with stories based in the personal experimentation of the author and people he's encountered in his travels, as well as a ton of other research. But it is so much more than that.

Equally as precious to me as the vast amount of geeky information about fermentation processes and lore is the perspective. My heart leaps for joy that a queer, community-minded, politically radical, ra
Jonathan
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking, history
The Art of Fermentation is, as the title says, an in-depth exploration of the processes and concepts of fermentation. Sandor Katz covers various types of fermentation that cover a wide range of fermentables (vegetables, grains, etc) and a diverse geographic region. In many ways this is the encyclopedia of fermentation. It is an excellent resource for those who want to know more about the process and how fermentated foods are used around the world and for those who would like to take their own fe ...more
Clarissa Simmens
A lovely friend of mine presented me with this book. Realistically, I believed there wasn't much I'd learn about fermentation. Years ago, I was strictly macrobiotic and those familiar with the concept will know that a percentage of each meal consists of fermented food. My roommate has been fermenting sauerkraut for 22 years and I like to ferment fresh pickles using home-grown dill and cucumbers. We are lucky to have a nearby Asian market in our small town, so miso is plentiful and has never been ...more
Janet
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Is it possible for a book to be both too detailed and not detailed enough? Maybe I would be better reading Wild Fermentation, but I felt that this book was lacking in details about how to actually execute these different fermentation items. The recipes and suggestions were buried deep within layers of excessive details about each item, most of which boiled down to "there's lots of different varieties of this, mess around and see what you like." I appreciate that approach, but giving more clear d ...more
Athena
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: cooks who are serious about fermentation
This is an astounding work, a magnum opus reference guide to All Things Fermented. It's not a cookbook, per se, although an experienced cook could use it to develop recipes. (For recipes to start my adventure in fermenting I will look to Katz's equally impressive cookbook Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods. If I begin fermenting foods with some regularity I will purchase Art of Fermentation, for now the library copy will suffice.)

From edibles to drinkables
Mary
Nov 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Wow, what a huge book! Before reading this (okay, okay, skimming), I knew little to nothing about fermentation. I knew it had something to do with alcohol, cheese, and yogurt, but I also thought it was the same thing as pickling.

Did you know that you can submerge vegetables in their own juices and leave them on the counter for months and eat it and LIKE it? And it's more stable than refrigeration? I obtained this book because I kept reading in many different places that fermented food is incred
Morgane
This feels like a mysterious spell book: there are no exact recipes or bullet-proof methodologies. All the "recipes" are paragraphs of ideas, stories, and guidelines. And I really like that.

Can't wait to make my first batch of fermented hot sauce >:)
Anima
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
‘Biologists use the term fermentation to describe anaerobic metabolism, the production of energy from nutrients without oxygen. ....Bacterial fermentation processes have been part of the context for all life....Bacteria break down nutrients we would not otherwise be able to digest...intestinal bacteria produce certain necessary nutrients for us , including B and K vitamins...Bacteria inhabit all our surfaces, particularly the warmer sweaty places that stay moist, as well as our eyes, upper respi ...more
Carol Bakker
I think this deserves five stars for the breadth and depth of information. But did I love listening to an encyclopedia? Not so much. I was rapt when he covered kombucha and kefir, but distracted when he explored edible molds, sorghum beer, and saki. Towards the end of the 20 hours I wanted to be done. The length of it helped me get more walking done.

I firmly believe that our modern trend of eliminating fermented foods from our diets has been detrimental. I've brewed kombucha, but after listening
Ben Christensen
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
10/10 will read again.
Foxthyme
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What Arora is to the fungi world, Katz is to the fermentation world. This is the ultimate go-to resource to figure everything fermentation out. Highly recommended.
Angelina
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! The subject of fermentation brings out my inner nerd, and this book feeds that impulse! When I got it, I literally sat down and started reading it cover-to-cover, as if it were a novel rather than a cookbook. This is not a book of recipes. Rather, it's a book about the methodologies and practices and principles of fermentation. I definitely appreciate the references to how fermentation is practiced around the world in obscure cultures. As a librarian and nerd, I also appreciate h ...more
Cheryl Rose
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Everything you ever wanted to learn about Fermentation and more.
This is a great book, too in-depth for my needs but I enjoyed reading sections of specific interest. NO! Not fermenting sugars into Alcohol, which is Chapter 4 by the way. I was interested in Sauerkraut. Which seems simple enough and I think I'll give it a try.
I learned about a fermented sweet tea, kombucha, and soon after got a few bottles of it from Whole Foods. I love this drink! And it's introducing pro-biotics into my body al
Greta Fisher
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
To do this well written and very interesting book justice, I should first spend a year (at least) in the kitchen making sauerkraut,kimchi,mead,yoghurt etc.,etc., before writing a review, but since I am already convinced that "The Art of Fermentation"will be much read and used over the years, I'll just give it 5 stars and be done with it!
Theresa
Apr 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Lots of information about fermenting of various kinds, but the useful info is buried amongst trivia. Some clearer how-to would be more useful than a discussion of the history of different ferments.
Caroline
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Marvellous read, I enjoyed this far more than most fiction I've read recently.
Rob
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, 2019
Admittedly not everything in this book is TECHNICALLY fermented, but the spirit and traditions of many of these practices are adjacent to the point of overlapping so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There were bits I skimmed (bioremediation, anyone? human decomposition, anyone?!) BUT this book definitely tickles my fancy in areas I know and love (i.e., fermented alcoholic beverages) and piqued my interest in dabbling in some others (e.g., keffir, sauerkraut, and maybe some of those cured meats).

Katz is an outstanding
Paulo Adalberto Reimann
Thorough

...and it can be read re read by bits and pieces, most of the time not in the given order. Some pages or chapters would be more interesting some not that much, ie, love the kombucha or rejuvelac part, all grain and fermented milk portion. Meat or roots doesn't make me a buff. The book is awesome.
Kristy
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it
Very informative. Has everything you would want to know about fermenting: the biological process behind it, history, troubleshooting, and more. Makes me want to bust out my pickling crock on start on a batch of sauerkraut.
Erin L
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Super in-depth look at fermentation.
~Annaki~
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Helen
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Brilliantly detailed in clear and easy to read language. Definitely a tome to reference regularly.
Carly Martin
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Katz is a Saint, the Bob Ross of pickling. A feel-good read for anyone, no matter your level of enthusiasm for microbes.
Susan
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I suspect this book will be referenced time and again as I get bolder with my fermentation experiments. There's so many interesting things I want to try!
Kerstin
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook, nutrition
Comprehensive introduction of fermentation, a fabulous reference work.
Jamie
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I assumed this was a thin short book. I was very wrong. Very big broad strokes of fermentation of everything, including non food. Very educational. It's not a quick read, but I know I will be referencing it in the future.
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wine-and-food, 2012
If Wild Fermentation The Flavor Nutrition and Craft of Live-Culture Foods is the bible on fermentation of foods and drinks, this is definitely the encyclopedia. I fully admit to being a huge Sandor Ellix Katz fan. I love that he's bringing fermentation and food discussion to the masses.

I've noticed some criticism that there isn't more exact recipes. After home fermenting for several years, I can say that's an accurate decision that Sandor made. Fermentation education is more about general guide
Joan
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I don't know anything about fermentation, so it was quite the education to read about this whole wide world that the author has researched to his heart's content. It's funny how I think of myself as a good cook and big foodie, but really I haven't done anything compared with what could be done.

But anyway, the author talks about fermenting beans, grains, milk (I make my own yogurt! Yay!) But it sounds like one could ferment anything really if you have the idea and creativity behind it 100%.

But
Sanam
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm at a preserving workshop this weekend (pickles, jams, ferments), and got a start on the fermenting part this week by making yogurt, cheese, and mixing up some berries to sit around and come alive. Fermentation the most interesting and exciting form of preserving I've come across so far--it's simple, occurs naturally in foods we eat, and has great health benefits. And most importantly, it's fun and empowering. The workshop leaders have this book, and I've skimmed it cover to cover. It is a gr ...more
loafingcactus
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
According to my rating rules there is no way a cook book should be getting more than three stars, but this is the one. Katz makes you feel you will be Closer To God by fermenting your own foods.

As others have said, complaints about lack of recipes are from readers who Do Not Get It. Katz is not the high priest of food here to tell you what God has given you, he points at it. You touch it with your own hands and eat it with your own mouth.

Since reading the book I have started a mead, fermented on
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Foundations of Flavor: The Noma Guide to Fermentation
  • Food in Jars: Preserving in Small Batches Year-Round
  • Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook That Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats
  • Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers: The Secrets of Ancient Fermentation
  • On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen
  • Liquid Intelligence: The Art and Science of the Perfect Cocktail
  • Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation
  • Fiery Ferments: 70 Stimulating Recipes for Hot Sauces, Spicy Chutneys, Kimchis with Kick, and Other Blazing Fermented Condiments
  • Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation
  • The Big Book of Kombucha: Brewing, Flavoring, and Enjoying the Health Benefits of Fermented Tea
  • Tartine Bread (Artisan Bread Cookbook, Best Bread Recipes, Sourdough Book)
  • The New Wildcrafted Cuisine: Exploring the Exotic Gastronomy of Local Terroir
  • Nourishing Broth: An Old-Fashioned Remedy for the Modern World
  • Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking
  • Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza
  • Barefoot Contessa Foolproof: Recipes You Can Trust
  • Fermented Vegetables: Creative Recipes for Fermenting 64 Vegetables & Herbs in Krauts, Kimchis, Brined Pickles, Chutneys, Relishes & Pastes
  • Edible Forest Gardens: 2 Volume Set
My name is Sandor Ellix Katz, and I am a fermentation revivalist.