Reviews for the Literary Inclined discussion

General > How do you get so many books and save money???

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (last edited Sep 21, 2012 04:50AM) (new)

Jessi Overton (pixibell) | 281 comments Mod
Hey folks, I know some of you have suggestions on where & how to get books for free or cheap that's totally legal. Please share here!!!

Group Suggestions
- Your local Goodwill or thrift store
- Ebay.com
- Amazon.com
- Have family give you gift cards for "special events"
- Goodreads authors
- Giveaway threads
- Library booksales
- Half Price Books
- Making Connections Group
- Book Depository
- Take-A-Lot
- Bargain Book Hunter
- Ereader News Today
- Ereader IQ
- Swagbucks

message 2: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (last edited Sep 20, 2012 10:40AM) (new)

My suggestions are:

-Your local Goodwill or thrift store
-Ebay.com
-Amazon.com
-Have family give you gift cards for "special events"

message 3: by Enlforever91 (new)

Enlforever91 | 1 comments You have to really look around especially here on Goodreads a lot of authors would like previews of their work or you could explore on giveaways and ebooks. This website is chock full of way to score books for free!

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 123 comments Probably not every place has this, but I find my library often has books for sale really cheap (usually starting at $0.50 for a paperback) AND I've found a few 'gems' at Dollartree of all places.

Just the other day I got hardback copies for $1/each of
Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11) by Jim Butcher Dark Slayer (Dark, #20) by Christine Feehan

message 5: by Alana ~ The Book Pimp (last edited Sep 20, 2012 11:11AM) (new)

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 123 comments ... And Half Price Books. LOVE that place!

And here on GR, if you don't mind Indy authors and writing reviews, there is a group (and some 'sister' groups to it) called Making Connections. There are over 400+ eBooks, for free from the authors, in exchange for writing a review. Each eBook has it's own expected 'turn-around' time. Nearly every genre is represented to some extent, and we are always looking for more reviewers. We currently have more books (and authors) than we can handle with our current reader base.

message 6: by Tala (new)

Tala   (tala2) I get daily emails from a few sites for free eBooks...
Bargain Book Hunter
Ereader News Today
eReaderIQ you can import your amazon wishlist to this site and they will track the books and email you when the price drops.

Pixel of Ink
BookLending.com a free site to list the books you can loan and what you wish to borrow. Members just lend to each other.

I also wait and watch for 30 - 50% off codes at fictionwise.

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 123 comments Oh, and authors will sometimes do special freebies on Smashwords... like I loved their eBook week- I must have gotten about 50 free books that week

message 8: by Jax (new)

Jax One of my other groups recommended Book Depository to me, as I couldn't find a number of authors in SA.
they work out much cheaper for me, and they ship worldwide for free!! ;D

If you are in SA, we also have the online store -
Take-A-Lot
also cheaper than the bookstores, and their delivery charges are minimal.

message 9: by Jessi, <~}{{Faery Queen**aka**PixiBell}{{~> (new)

Hey all our group facebook page is: http://www.facebook.com/groups/review...

message 10: by Carleny (new)

Carleny | 0 comments I use paperbackswap.com when it comes to getting books for cheap. It's basically just paying for postage and it hardly goes above $2.50 from what I've seen. I've discovered media mail and taking full advantage of it :D

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 123 comments I don't know if I mentioned it before, but if you have a Dollar Tree near you- they carry books for $1. It's a crap shoot on what they will have, but I've found these titles in hardback for $1:
Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11) by Jim Butcher Plum Spooky (Stephanie Plum, #14.5) by Janet Evanovich Lean Mean Thirteen (Stephanie Plum, #13) by Janet Evanovich Pride and Prejudice and Zombies Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith Dark Slayer (Dark, #20) by Christine Feehan Another Pan by Daniel Nayeri

message 12: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) Definitely agree with library booksales. I'm writing from my library and they've got a 10 for five dollars deal on some of their older books. There are good used book stores around but they can be harder to find (in Australia they tend to be in the country if anywhere as tourist destinations).

message 13: by ☀Rachael☀ (last edited Oct 20, 2012 10:57AM) (new)

☀Rachael☀ (jimbunni) Another good website is Awesomebooks.com and awesomebooks.co.uk they have cheap books and reasonable shipping!

message 14: by Nicky (new)

Nicky | 8 comments Not sure if anyone has suggested this site but I've found several new authors & books(freebies) http://www.indieauthornews.com/p/free...

message 15: by Leonard (new)

Leonard (leonardseet) | 3 comments Another place for free ebooks is at the Gutenberg Project website.

Gutenberg Project

Of course, the copyrights for these books have expired so there are older books.