Start by marking “Plum Spooky (Stephanie Plum, #14.5)” as Want to Read:
Plum Spooky (Stephanie Plum, #14.5)

Plum Spooky

(Stephanie Plum #14.5)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  39,502 ratings  ·  2,223 reviews
Evanovich fans rejoice! Stephanie Plum is back in town, along with her sidekick Lula, her Grandma Mazur, and an ever-widening cast of freaks, criminals, deranged felons, and lunatics looking for love. And just when Stephanie thinks her life can't get any more complicated, in walks the mysterious Diesel. A man who seems to show up at the most inconvenient moments. This time ...more
Paperback, Large Print, 384 pages
Published January 6th 2009 by Random House Large Print

To ask other readers questions about Plum Spooky, please sign up.
Cindy I think you can. I jumped from this one to Lean Mean Thirteen and am having no problem with transition. Stories seem to stand on their own. I will say…moreI think you can. I jumped from this one to Lean Mean Thirteen and am having no problem with transition. Stories seem to stand on their own. I will say that this is one of the funniest books I have read! I laughed so hard I couldn't stop! Enjoy!(less)
Life of Pi by Yann MartelThe Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëEragon by Christopher Paolini
What To Read Next
12,007 books — 20,676 voters
Wallbanger by Alice ClaytonPlaying for Keeps by R.L. MathewsonSeduction and Snacks by Tara SivecTangled by Emma ChasePerfection by R.L. Mathewson
Funny as Hell!
2,084 books — 5,953 voters

More lists with this book...

·  39,502 ratings  ·  2,223 reviews

James
Jan 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Book Review
3 of 5 stars to Plum Spooky written in 2009 by Janet Evanovich. This book is the 4th "mini-release" in the Stephanie Plum cozy mystery series, an in between read set of books based on different holidays throughout the year, involving Stephanie and the mysterious Diesel, a character from another one of Evanovich's series starring Diesel and Lizzy.

It's a great idea to combine two series with fan favorite characters, but Stephanie already had 2 men chasing after her (or is she chasin
Jilly
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
More fun than a barrel of monkeys!!
No, really, there were a hella lot of monkeys in this book.

No, Mr. Monkey, I'm serious. You would love it!

As is always the case in these half-books of the series, Diesel shows up in Stephanie's apartment. And, somehow whenever Diesel is around Morelli is only available by phone.

"How's it going?" Morelli wanted to know.

"It's average. Stole a truck. Blew up a house. Brought seven monkeys home with me. And now I have a naked man in my shower."

"Yeah, same ol', s
Krystal
Oct 31, 2008 rated it it was ok
Tammy
Oct 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Plum fans
Recommended to Tammy by: JJ
I'm a BIG fan of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series.

Not a big fan of the between-the-numbers/holiday novels.

But what can I honestly say about Plum Spooky?

BEST. BETWEEN-THE-NUMBERS. EVER.

If you are not familiar with the series, Stephanie Plum works as a bounty hunter in Trenton, New Jersey, for her sleazy cousin Vinnie. In this installment in the series, Stephanie is on the hunt for Martin Munch, boy genius, for failure to appear in court. Uber bounty hunter, Diesel, pops back into Stepha
Cyndi
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Love these books! Easter bunny, Sasquatch, New Jersey devil, and more. The Fire Farter was truly imaginative. Next we're off to Salem for wicked stuff.

Read again June 2016. Still love it!

Ok, I've decided this book must be added to my yearly Halloween fair along with "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown," and "Hocus Pocus."

Reread May 2018

So much fun! Lula falling in the bog was one of the funniest scenes I’ve ever read! Add to that Carl the monkey and Tank with cats. 🤣💕
Julie (jjmachshev)
Aug 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
Stephanie, Stephanie, Stephanie. "Plum Spooky" is Janet Evanovich's latest hilarious trek through the life of confused, inept, and somehow lucky despite all that, bounty hunter Stephanie Plum. This is the longest 'between the numbers' novel yet at 309 hardcover pages. Diesel is back, as are Ranger and Morelli, along with Lula, more monkeys that I could count, and a host of other interesting characters!

Stephanie is after what should be a fairly easy recovery. Munch is a 24-year-old kid-sized geni
Erin
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
While this is a pretty decent story I think she is really pushing the "out there" qualities of the characters. I could totally go with Stephanie, Lula and Grandma, but monkeys, global weather control and characters with powers are too much.
Fay Nikkels
Jan 07, 2009 rated it did not like it
Another disappointing book!
I used to love the Plum books, don't know what happened to JE.
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dtb-book
This might very well be my favorite in between the numbers book yet! More Carl, I so wasn't expecting that! So darn funny. Full review to come.
Kristin
Feb 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
These Stephanie Plum books were SO funny when they first came out, but have become SO repetitive and boring...I honestly think the author writes them during her lunch hour in one sitting...hard to believe it's #1 on the New York Times Bestseller List!!!
Mar 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, janet-evanovich, fun
Ohhhhhh that was a good book. You know it's good when you get to the end and you slow down to make it last and then when you see the last words you feel sad because you know it's going to be awhile before you get to read what happens with the characters you are so fond of.

I have to agree with so many other reviewers that this was one of the best between the numbers books in the Stephanie Plum series. It was absurd and yet you didn't roll your eyes. (I could actually picture the monkeys with the
Bark
Jun 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, audiobook
On the search for a geeky dude named “Munch” and in over her head as always, bail bonds woman Stephanie Plum gets into all sorts of jams when she enters the scary redneck territory known as “The Pines”. The usual sexy men in Stephanie’s life make appearances as well as a Mario Bros. loving monkey, his slew of new monkey pals and, of course, Lula with her usual her zany awesomeness. I think I missed a few Plum books along the way because I had to do a double take (make that a rewind) when Diesel, ...more
Toocrazycosmoyahoo.com
I normally love Janet Evanovich/Stephanie Plum books. I get so excited about her writing that I mark my calendar so I know about pending releases.

Which is why I was so bummed about this novel. I guess I should be grateful... "Between the Numbers" novels are usually pretty short and this one clocked in at over 300 pages. But I struggled through the entire book. Did we really need all the technical mumbo jumbo about weather control? Normally the wackiness is fun. This time it just felt forced. BTW
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Ah yes, its Stephanie Plum, one of the most inept bounty hunters ever, again bumbling her way through a catch that proves to be much larger and more complicated then it should be.

Reading the Plum books have always been sort of like enjoying a catchy pop song - you enjoy it for a bit, but once you move onto to something else, you don't think about it much.

Sadly, the Plum books are starting to move towards the other problem with pop songs - after a while, they all sound alike, and become indisti
Susan
Well, I usually enjoy the Stephanie Plum books, even these between-the-number chapters, but for some reason this book just didn't 'hit the spot'. I found myself thinking of excuses NOT to finish it.

I very much enjoy Evanovich's humor, Stephanie's escapades, Lula's one-liners, sexy Ranger, someone-not-too-shabby-to-come-home-to Morelli and even enjoy the mysterious Diesel in these books.

I got about halfway through and am going to put this aside for now. Because: I got tired of the monkey antics
Jen
Jul 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
Jeffrey
Jan 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Evanovich fans and fans of humerous mysteries
This 3rd Plum "between the numbers" novel is pretty good. If you have not read Evanovich books before, they are about Stephanie Plum, who is a sexy babe who works for her cousin as an inept Bounty Hunter, her partner, Lulu, an ex-ho who is a big beautiful women, but who favors tight spandex clothes, and a cast of various refugees from a bad movie, who are the criminals who have ran off on their bonds, that Stephanie must apprehend. Stephanie is dating Morelli, a Trenton cop, but is "friendly" wi ...more
Erica Gorruso
Jan 09, 2009 rated it it was ok
One word: HOKEY. I mean, really. Monkeys, superpowers, rockets that create rain, disappearing in fire and smoke, etc. Was I reading "Stephanie Plum Meets Harry Potter"?
As usual Lula had me laughing out loud, but that's about as reliable as the storyline got. I ALMOST put it down half way, and would've, had it not been for the Lula humor. Not at all impressed.
Jamie Collins
Mar 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, humor
If the plot wasn't so weak I would give this three stars. I think it's the best of the "Between the Numbers" books, and better than book # 14, even if I still don't like Diesel as well as Ranger and Morelli. I snickered out loud several times, and that's mostly what I ask of a Plum book.
Becca
Feb 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
Ehn...I don't really care for the books in the "Between the Numbers" series. Evanovich should leave the supernatural world alone, she does just fine with Stephanie and her crew in New Jersey.
Carolyn
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: evanovich-janet
Carl, the monkey, was a hoot!
Alisa Kester
Jan 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I haven't been a huge fan of the "Between the Numbers" Plum books, but this one was terrific - definitely as good as any Numbered book. Loved Ranger, *loved* Carl the monkey, and loved Lula (she had some awesomely funny moments). This book was vintage Plum.
Debbie
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite of the half books. Stephanie sure gets herself in to a bunch of problems.
Pam
GENRE/ PUB DATE/PUBLISHER / # OF Mystery/Random House/2009/ 7 discs
SERIES/STAND-ALONE 14.5 Stephanie Plum
CHARACTERS Stephanie Plum/Bounty Hunter
TIME/PLACE 2009/NJ
COMMENTS Considered a between the numbers book of the Stephanie Plum series. Features the usual gang in Trenton with the addition of Diesel, another bounty hunter also vying for Stephanie's attention when Ranger and Morelli are not in the forefront. Monkeys and m
Tricia
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
I thought this book was ok but was not as good as many of her others
Vannessa Anderson
May 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Janet Evanovich’s Plum Spooky is the funniest Stephanie Plum book yet! In this Stephanie Plum installment all the characters make an appearance: Joe Morelli, Diesel, Plum, Ranger, Tank, and of course Lulu who use to be a ho. Stephanie Plum, incompetent bounty hunter, is in search of Martin Munch, boy genius, who skipped his bond, and in searching for him she meets Wulf, Diesel’s cousin. Diesel is looking for Wulf to put an end to his antics. Wulf warns Stephanie away from Munch because he’s doin ...more
Joshua Gross
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
This wasn't my favorite Stephanie Plum adventure. Unlike other between-the-numbers books in this series, this book didn't have a strong tie to a holiday, usually referenced by the title. While spooky things may be happening in the book, it isn't because it's Halloween. Also, things didn't get that spooky. Stephanie spent far to much time rambling around in the Pine Barrens without accomplishing anything, Stephanie depended an awful lot on the big strong men around her to keep her safe (even thou ...more
Jodi
Jan 08, 2009 rated it liked it
I’ve become bored by this series which is why this book was so delightfully surprising. For one thing, it wasn’t particularly funny. I don’t mean that the jokes fell flat because there were plenty of chuckles to be had, but Stephanie wasn’t reduced to Three-Stooges-like pratfalls just because. Instead, she was smart, resourceful and interesting. This was a Diesel book but not a stand-alone Diesel book which meant that Diesel was inside Stephanie’s life rather than Stephanie stepping outside her ...more
Brittany
Dec 31, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: series
Wow! I really don't care for the Stephanie Plum between the novel books. I read them so fast, so I can be done with them. I love the Plum Series but the between the novel ones fall far short from the leading books. I'm just not into the whole Diesel/magic guy who just mysteriously pops into Stephanie's house wanting help. I don't get it. It gets kinda annoying. There's not enough Morelli or Ranger in the book. And way too much Diesel and Stephanie interaction. The plot was ok, buy got carried aw ...more
Jenn
Jan 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
I love Stephanie Plum. I can't help it. As horrible as her life sometimes is, I would still like to be her for a couple of days. And while Plum Spooky did cause me to laugh out loud several times, it is only so-so. As a rule I haven't enjoyed the "Between the Numbers" books as well as the original series and that rule continues to hold true. It isn't the additional of supernatural Diesel that bothers me. He is an okay character. It is mainly the somewhat sloppy storyline that disappoints me.
Join in the discussions! 5 50 Feb 09, 2015 10:25PM
The Women's Myste...: #18 Plum Spooky 1 4 Aug 09, 2013 10:57PM

• Full House (Full #1)
  • The Plot Thickens (Fearless Jones, #0.5)
  • High Anxiety (Crazy, #3)
  • Death Perception (Psychic Eye Mystery, #6)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Not One Clue (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #6)
  • Bobbie Faye's (kinda, sorta, not exactly) Family Jewels (Bobbie Faye, #2)
  • Bubbles In Trouble (Bubbles Yablonsky, #2)
  • Devil May Ride (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #2)
  • 4 Bodies and a Funeral (Body Movers, #4)
  • O is for Outlaw (Kinsey Millhone, #15)
  • Some Like it Lethal (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #3)

Stephanie Plum (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1)
  • Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2)
  • Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3)
  • Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4)
  • High Five (Stephanie Plum, #5)
  • Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6)
  • Seven Up (Stephanie Plum, #7)
  • Hard Eight (Stephanie Plum, #8)
  • To the Nines (Stephanie Plum, #9)
  • Ten Big Ones (Stephanie Plum, #10)
“I hate mornings. They start so early.” 307 likes
“Truth is, I'm a good Catholic girl. The faith has always been elusive, but the guilt is intractable. ” 81 likes