Karis
Karis asked Katie McGarry:

What made you want/ feel a pull to write about troubled teens? As a teen who has first hand experience with the types of situations you've written about, it made a huge impact on me. Especially because a lot of the emotional turmoil and the way we interact with adults was extremely accurate within your novels.

Katie McGarry Hi Karis,

I write the books that I craved when I was a teen. I faced some tough circumstances when I was younger and I had friends who faced even tougher situations than I did. I often remember feeling paralyzed as how to help them.

I was desperate for hope and one day I read S.E. Hinton's The Outsiders and my life changed. For the first time, I saw a reflection of myself in a book and in a world where I felt desperately alone--I didn't feel alone anymore.

My goal has been to write the books that show no matter how tough the situation may be that there is always hope.

Thank you for the question!

Katie