Heather Cannova
Heather Cannova asked Diana Gabaldon:

You have a ton of medical knowledge that you demonstrate in the book. I was wondering if you consulted with physicians and nurses or did you just read up on those things? As a nurse, I was really impressed with your accuracy and I loved the natural herbal remedies Claire uses!

Diana Gabaldon Both. I was (for a short time) a nursing instructor (among a LOT of other things ), and taught Human Anatomy and Physiology repeatedly. That's where Claire gets her broad but shallow grasp of clinical medicine in the first book. Beyond that...I decided to write a historical novel for practice because I knew how to do research. And I do indeed ask medical practiioners to read my more complex scenes.