Pachyderm
Pachyderm asked:

Just started on this one and so far I like it very much! Anyone else?

To answer questions about The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, please sign up.
Dario Zampetti I feel myself squeezed in between different feelings. Even if I found this book so well written to keep myself going on reading like crazy, I consider the plot totally pointless.
The author starts a long series of circles without really closing many. The story doesn't stand, it doesn't go anywhere. Characters are thrown in form every angle without any particular reason.
A total plot collapse since the Nutmeg entering, running to an end which explains nearly zero.
Even if, I must say I enjoyed reading it.
Sheila Lundquist Hoover I, too, enjoyed reading it. I loved the goofy characters and that the story ran on and on, and went nowhere, just like the thinking of many human beings, but with way more imagination and interest for the reader. I'm going to read another of his books just to find out if the characters are as bazaar and unlikely as any fiction I've read. Some, but not many, authors can twist things to make you laugh and cringe at the same time.
Sarah Szumanski-Jahn His writing is so mundane and odd and delightful that I suck his books up no matter the topic. I can't get enough.
Pat Bryan I too started out liking this novel quite a bit. It had a dreamlike quality unlike anything else I've read. I especially like the character of May Kasahara, quirky and unpredictable, connected to Toru but also very self-directed. I was at a loss to connect the dots between the events set in Manchukuo during the war and those of Toru's time. I was left with a lot of questions at the end, especially regarding Kumiko. I have several male friends who regard Murakami highly, so I may try another of his some day though this is the second Murakami novel I've felt mildly intrigued but finally lukewarm about.
Image for The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle