jacky
jacky asked:

Does this book stand alone in the series? I'm interested in reading it because its a Newbery winner, but not inclined to read four other books first if this one stands alone well.

To answer questions about The High King, please sign up.
Devyn Duffy The High King probably works well enough if read on its own, but you'd lose so much of its emotional power. So many events in the story have resonance because of the experiences readers have shared in the first four books. I would strongly recommend reading the entire series in sequence, especially because they are great books.
N-boy I would read the whole series, I think it is all really good. And, if it makes any difference, the second book, the Black Cauldron, won a Newbery honor award. I also think that it is good to have background on the story which is given in the other books.
Cornelius Smith Back when I was in primary school I read "The High King" first, as I didn't know the order of the series. I recall I thoroughly enjoyed the book and the characters - this prompted me to read the other books in order.
Bobby Bermea Absolutely! However, you'll dig it even more if you read all of them.
Kyle Lloyd Alexander says himself that you can read any book in the series as its own book without reading the others but it is nice to have background knowledge on the story beforehand.
Mary Actually, my sister and I read this one first, as young teens, and liked it so much we went back and read all the others. It does stand alone as a story, but I think it gains depth and power if you read the others first and know more about the characters and their journeys.
Laura Miller I would at least read the 4th book before the fifth. A lot happens that kind of sets the stage for the action of book 5, and you get to know Taran much better in that one as well. But as the others have said you can read it on its own. The books aren't that long, so it's not going to be as time-consuming to read several books as it would be with many other series.
Image for The High King