Goodreads asked Madeline Martin:

Madeline Martin First of all, I tackle the hardest step - I make myself sit down and open Word. Then I work on something that has nothing to do with my manuscript. I write a small scene that popped in my head or I look at a whimsical picture like Margarita Kareva's photos and I start a story about how the woman ended up where she was. I'll do that for about thirty minutes or so and then I've found I've warmed up my creative writing muscles.
For time when writer's block lasts a long time, I make sure I still set my alarm for 4:30 every day and I still get up and write. Even if it's 100 words, it's better than nothing and still keeps my toes dipped in the writing pool.