Janice
Janice asked E. Lockhart:

I just completed WE WERE LIARS (like everyone else in the world) and was very struck and moved by it. Like the waters were calm until they suddenly weren't anymore. Can you talk a little about your inspiration not only for this, but what drove you to write a book like it? The style is so unique, the chapter lengths, and everything about it is very different and refreshing.

E. Lockhart Thank you. The chapters were much longer in early drafts. Making them short had a surprisingly big effect and lead me to revise those chunks of text differently. I wanted to write about a really intense friendship bond that turns destructive, and I started with the setting. There are these little private islands near Martha's Vineyard that have always intrigued me.
E. Lockhart