Christine Gaza

Are any of you high school teachers? How do you feel about teaching this book at the accelerated sophomore level in school? Or, if you're a parent, how would you feel about your child reading this at the high school level?

To answer questions about Columbine, please sign up.
Mariah J. As a student (senior moving on to college), I would love to study something like this in school. It's raw, it's real, it's unsheltered. While I'd love to study this topic of Columbine or book in particular, real and callous subjects like this in general would be beneficial. It doesn't always have to be about school shootings and horror and gore, but I don't want to keep reading things like Inferno and Gatsby written a time ago and adapting them to my life today. I want more books that are ACTUALLY from my life today, and I don't want them soaped up to be "nicer" either.
Adrienne I have taught a small segment of Columbine in AP Language (junior level) and have recommended it to students One of the central ideas of Columbine is how the media shapes a version of events and manipulates our understanding of those events. It is an essential component of AP Lang to unpack messages and understand exactly what information we are getting--to verify and evaluate sources, and to think critically and analytically. That is what this book is about. It is also a fascinating read. So, yes, a big thumbs up to teaching this book for upper level high school students.
Linda C As a parent, personally I would have no problem with my daughter reading this book at 15 or 16, but I don't believe in monitoring or censoring what kids read. Good readers know what they want to read and are smart enough to understand what they are reading. I think the kids would relate to this book because it is like their life.
Jack as a freshman at columbine highschool I believe it is an important book we are learning about the book right now but i do think i could be better for a junior class if your school has not been affected by a tragedy
Hyle Daley I am considering it as I type this. I just completed the book, today. I think it may be too intense for the kids. I also have sophomores and they thought All The Light I Cannot See was intense in places.

I do not think the kids have ever read or even watched anything like this, so if I did it, I would read much of the intense parts with the kids and leave a lot of space for discussion.
Cherry i graduated high school in may of '19, (thank god I didn't hqve to deal with school and covid!) and I would have loved to read about this!
annika burman As a sophomore in HS, I would say definitely not. This is far and above the most triggering book I have ever read, and even if I learned a lot from it, I think it left me emotionally worse off than when I started it. I will admit it aligns with my many of my fears.
Rylee I actually am a sophomore going into high school signed up to take Honors English 10. This book is part of our summer assignment. This book is scary for me and many of my peers to read because we know that scenarios like this happen and that it is possible for our school to be assaulted like this. However, shootings happen and it's good for us to be informed, so I understand why we are told to read it.
Julia I just started reading this book, and IMO since it is representative of school life of teenagers, it shouldn't be too much for them to read. I think this book is ok for all high school age children. Another book they can read is "A Mothers Reckoning" by Sue Klebold, the mother of Dylan Klebold. I feel that is also a good book because it shows how someone can present themselves to their family, peers, teachers they they are happy, leading normal lives when in actuality they are dealing with depression and suicidal thoughts.
Cindy I find this book to be very informative. I would have absolutely no problem with my kids reading it at the high school level. In fact, I would argue that they should.
Amanda I found it very factual and informative. Lots of lessons learned and a unique perspective on the workings of the minds of the killers. I am a parent and I would be okay with it in high school.
Dalea It's very disturbing and gut wrenching. It might be a bit much
Image for Columbine
by Dave Cullen (Goodreads Author)