Emmie
Emmie asked Ava Dellaira:

What gave you the inspiration to write this book? //I could relate to this book a lot so I'm a bit curious what gave you inspiration!

Ava Dellaira Hi Emily!
Thanks for your question! There were several things that inspired me to write the book. I had lost my mom to a sudden death a few years before, and writing the book was in part a way for me to process my own grief. I was also inspired by my relationship with my own wonderful younger sister, and by my experiences growing up with my friends and family in Albuquerque. And, of course, the songs, movies, poems and lives of the people to whom Laurel writes! I've always been interested in the way that popular culture can allow us to feel a connection to the world and to better understand ourselves, when we might otherwise feel isolated in certain ways.
Ava Dellaira