Adelaide LaSalle
Adelaide LaSalle asked Ava Dellaira:

Hi. One of the main reasons I read (and loved) your book was because I knew there was going to be a lot of Nirvana references. I wondered if Kurt was mentioned in there because you really like him, or if he had some kind of deeper impact in Laurel's story, or maybe if she just really liked him. Can you explain what kind of effect or benefit putting him in the story had, if there was any?

Ava Dellaira Hi Adelaide,
Thanks so much for the question! Yes, I love Nirvana and Laurel does too, and of course Laurel writes to him because May loved him. However, I think one of the main reasons she's drawn to him is because he seems to so brilliantly express a lot of the feelings that at first she is unable to. As she says in the book "you sang the anger and the fear and all of the feelings that people are afraid to admit to."In a way, Laurel learns from him -- her connection with him helps her to get in touch with her own feelings of anger, which is such an important step in her recovery.
Ava Dellaira