Goodreads asked Sharon Kay Penman:

Sharon Kay Penman Do you mean what motivated me to write? Or how do I motivate myself to begin a new book or to write a difficult scene? Answering the first question: I wrote my first story at age 6 or so, so I was always writing. But I did not seriously consider writing as a career. I knew that when people talked about artists starving in their garrets, they usually had writers as roommates. So it was truly a blessing to me when circumstances later allowed me to make a living as a writer.
On to the second question: Starting a new novel is always somewhat daunting. It is rather like diving into a swimming pool and hoping there will be water in the pool. But once I begin writing, it takes on a life of its own. As for facing a scene that is bogged down, I have found that it helps to step back from it for a while, think about it before getting back to the writing.